Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default chinese brown gravy???

On Sun, 11 May 2008 16:25:21 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sun 11 May 2008 08:07:10a, notbob told us...
>
>> On 2008-05-11, blake murphy > wrote:
>>
>>> how well does this stuff keep, wayne?

>> Pretty good if you use it. Mom had a jar that had to be years old. I
>> couldn't get the stuff out with a cold chisel. I jes bought new.
>>
>> nb

>Well, "years old" might be stretching its useful life a bit. :-) I have
>easily kept it over a year in the frige with no problem. I should say that
>it should be allowed to come to room temperature first before spooning it
>out of the jar.

thanks, wayne and nb.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 12 May 2008 09:17:16a, blake murphy told us...

> On Sun, 11 May 2008 16:25:21 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

>>> Pretty good if you use it. Mom had a jar that had to be years old. I
>>> couldn't get the stuff out with a cold chisel. I jes bought new.
>>>
>>> nb

>>Well, "years old" might be stretching its useful life a bit. :-) I have
>>easily kept it over a year in the frige with no problem. I should say
>>that it should be allowed to come to room temperature first before
>>spooning it out of the jar.

> thanks, wayne and nb.
>
> your pal,
> blake

You're most welcome!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 05(V)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 10:00*am, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
> On Sat 10 May 2008 04:34:24a, sandi told us...
>

> > "J.Lef" > wrote in

> >> * * * *Just picked up a new carbon steel joyce chen wok. (I
> >> * * * *also have a new
> >> cooktop, with some high output burners)
> >> * *Looking at the recipe included for fried rice, it says to
> >> * *use a tsp of
> >> chinese brown gravy syrup(and specifically it says not soy sauce)
> >> * * Any idea what this could be. Oyster sauce maybee. I
> >> * * thought I was
> >> familiar with most asian ingrediants, but this one stumps me.
> >> * * * *Can someone clue me in please.

> >> * * * * * * * * Much regards

> > From the old (orig. pub 1936) "The Chinese Cook Book" published by *
> > the Culinary Arts Press states:

> > "Chinese Brown Gravy
> > Use two tablespoonfuls of Chinese Sauce, one teaspoonful brown
> > molasses and one teaspoonful cornstarch or flour. *Mix until smooth
> > and stir into boiling juice of roast or one-half coup of soup
> > stock.
> > A rich, brown, and highly palatable gravy is the result, especially
> > desirable with chop suey dishes."

> That's interesting. *I almost always add a tablespoon or two of soy sauce
> to brown gravy, especially if I'm serving to go over rice. *(not a CHinese
> meal)
>
> > "CHINESE SAUCE or SOYU, used instead of salt, adds zest and
> > delicacy."

> > Here are some interesting links:
> >http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/420/0.shtml
> >http://chinesefood.about.com/od/sauc...soning_Recipes.
> > htm

> --
> * * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright * * * * * *
> * * *Saturday, 05(V)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)
> * * * * Countdown till Memorial Day * * * *
> * * * * * 2wks 1dys 13hrs 5mins * * * * *
> * *When the going gets tough, everybody *
> * * * * * * * * * leaves. * * * * * * * * *

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 1:15*pm, Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
> A few fine points:
> 1 - Better than Bouillon is a brand of soup base.Ask your grocer to
> carry it. It comes in beef, chicken, turkey, vegetable, lobster and
> chili flavors. I try to keep all of them on hand for many things. Each
> one adds a distinct "base" (bass?) note to soups, stews, sauces,
> casseroles, etc. I use them one at a time.
>
> 2 - Brown Sauce is an American/Chinese product available in several
> brands. I use it for coloring beef or other meat based sauces/stir
> frys. Also for the (somewhat bland) sauce for Egg Foo Yung.
>
> 3 - If you want to know whether an additive will change flavor or
> color or both, read the ingredients. Good soup bases list the main
> protein first: *"roasted beef with natural juices . . . turkey meat
> with natural juices" *Coloring agents will say
> "natural caramel color".
>
> Lynn in Fargo

Lynn in Fargo I cant seem to find the lobster base anywhere. I live in
Alaska so my options are tight. I love to use the beef base w/ my
oxtail recepies. The flavor intensifies the meat. The long simmering
prosses of oxtails allows the flavor of the base to saturate into the
meat wich gives it it's rich flavor. I would love to find the same
satisfaction in my seafood dishes. Please reply
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 9, 2008 at 11:44:26 AM UTC-5, J.Lef wrote:
> Just picked up a new carbon steel joyce chen wok. (I also have a new
> cooktop, with some high output burners)
> Looking at the recipe included for fried rice, it says to use a tsp of
> chinese brown gravy syrup(and specifically it says not soy sauce)
> Any idea what this could be. Oyster sauce maybee. I thought I was
> familiar with most asian ingrediants, but this one stumps me.
> Can someone clue me in please.
>
> Much regards

There used to be Chung King brown gravy sauce. It came in a very small jar..And it was very thick and black almost like tar. It was part of my mothers chow main reciepe forty or so years ago. I have never been able to find it and I have tried anything that looked like it and everything has been a massive failure. I have searched everywhere with no luck. My mothers delicious Chow Mein died with the Chung king brown gravy sauce.It looks like bead molasses and that is a big failure also.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>On Friday, May 9, 2008 at 11:44:26 AM UTC-5, J.Lef wrote:
>>> Just picked up a new carbon steel joyce chen wok. (I also have a new
>>> cooktop, with some high output burners)
>>> Looking at the recipe included for fried rice, it says to use a tsp of
>>> chinese brown gravy syrup(and specifically it says not soy sauce)
>>> Any idea what this could be. Oyster sauce maybee. I thought I was
>>> familiar with most asian ingrediants, but this one stumps me.
>>> Can someone clue me in please.
>>>
>>> Much regards

>> There used to be Chung King brown gravy sauce. It came in a very
>> small jar.And it was very thick and black almost like tar. It
>> was part of my mothers chow main reciepe forty or so years ago.
>> I have never been able to find it and I have tried anything that
>> looked like it and everything has been a massive failure. I
>> have searched everywhere with no luck. My mothers delicious
>> Chow Mein died with the Chung king brown gravy sauce.It looks
>> like bead molasses and that is a big failure also.

> Probably egg foo young sauce.

Brown Gravy Syrup is Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce. There were
other brands of this stuff back in the 70's and 80's, some thick and
some thin, but Golden Mountain and Knorr Maggi won the "Seasoning
Sauce" wars of the late 80's and early 90's. There are still some
cut-rate look-alike clones out there but they're are all inferior.

Egg Foo Young Sauce is some ******* shit they sold in Brooklyn to
non-Chinese immigrants in the 60's.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> There used to be Chung King brown gravy sauce. It came in a very
>>> small jar.And it was very thick and black almost like tar. It
>>> was part of my mothers chow main reciepe forty or so years ago.
>>> I have never been able to find it and I have tried anything that
>>> looked like it and everything has been a massive failure. I
>>> have searched everywhere with no luck. My mothers delicious
>>> Chow Mein died with the Chung king brown gravy sauce.It looks
>>> like bead molasses and that is a big failure also.

>> Probably egg foo young sauce.

>Brown Gravy Syrup is Golden Mountain Seasoning Sauce. There were
>other brands of this stuff back in the 70's and 80's, some thick and
>some thin, but Golden Mountain and Knorr Maggi won the "Seasoning
>Sauce" wars of the late 80's and early 90's. There are still some
>cut-rate look-alike clones out there but they're are all inferior.
>
>Egg Foo Young Sauce is some ******* shit they sold in Brooklyn to
>non-Chinese immigrants in the 60's.

******* or not, I loved foo yong hai as a kid: egg, mushrooms, rice
and a tomato sauce. A big seller for the Chinese/Indo restaurants.