Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sierra Nevada "Bigfoot Ale"

Now that I wrote the subject line, I'm not sure what else to say.

Amazing beer. It's a limited edition, so if you see it, buy it. But be
careful, it is almost 10% alcohol. So you could hurt yourself if you
drank several of them rather quickly -- which would be hard to do (the
quickly part) because although it is very smooth it's also heavy and
rich, almost creamy.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 8:23�pm, zxcvbob > wrote:

> Amazing beer. �It's a limited edition, so if you see it,
> buy it. �

I'll look. Would you mind revealing where you found it -
supermarket, specialty store, tav, etc?

Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:

> Now that I wrote the subject line, I'm not sure what else to say.
>
> Amazing beer. It's a limited edition, so if you see it, buy it.

It should be out of stock already. I'm surprised you found it.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-05-05, Sqwertz > wrote:
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Now that I wrote the subject line, I'm not sure what else to say.
>>
>> Amazing beer. It's a limited edition, so if you see it, buy it.

> It should be out of stock already. I'm surprised you found it.

I can still find it. CO may be a big beer drinking state, but I think they
know not what they have. I found sixers of '07 BFA back in Oct of last
year. I can still buy sixers of '08, when I run across it. Even when I was
still in CA, there was a mini-mart/gas station a few blocks away that would
have it well into Summer cuz the hood locals didn't know what it was.
Natch, BevMo runs out early cuz that's where everyone looks.

For you serious beer drinkers, I'll bless you with a heads up. Russian
River Brewing will finally be bottling its outrageously hopped DIPA, Pliny
the Elder. If you like monster IPAs, this is the one. Leaves the Fish Head
roly-poly in the dust. I don't know what kind of distro it will get, but
if I have to drive back to CA to get it, howdy UT/NV! Still my fave beer of
all time.

http://russianriverbrewing.com/web/b...nytheelder.htm

nb

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Now that I wrote the subject line, I'm not sure what else to say.
>>
>> Amazing beer. It's a limited edition, so if you see it, buy it.

> It should be out of stock already. I'm surprised you found it.
>
> -sw

I bought the last 6-pack in town. (actually, I haven't hit the *tiny*
liquor stores yet, but all the big ones are out)

I discovered the stuff 2 weeks ago when a pub that I went to had it on
draft for $2 per pint. It wasn't on the regular beer menu; it was
written in chalk with the drink specials and I didn't see it until I was
about ready to leave. (might be a good thing, otherwise I would have
had too many before realizing how strong it is)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jw jw is offline

On May 5, 10:07 am, zxcvbob > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> > zxcvbob > wrote:

> >> Now that I wrote the subject line, I'm not sure what else to say.

> >> Amazing beer. It's a limited edition, so if you see it, buy it.

> > It should be out of stock already. I'm surprised you found it.

> > -sw

> I bought the last 6-pack in town. (actually, I haven't hit the *tiny*
> liquor stores yet, but all the big ones are out)
>
> I discovered the stuff 2 weeks ago when a pub that I went to had it on
> draft for $2 per pint. It wasn't on the regular beer menu; it was
> written in chalk with the drink specials and I didn't see it until I was
> about ready to leave. (might be a good thing, otherwise I would have
> had too many before realizing how strong it is)
>
> Bob

Tell me about it. It was on special the other night at the pub. I
knocked back two and was going to head home. I was definitely not ok
to drive. Drank some water and chilled for a bit.

Good stuff, but be careful, it will catch up to you fast.

JW
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in
:

> For you serious beer drinkers, I'll bless you with a heads up.
> Russian River Brewing will finally be bottling its outrageously hopped
> DIPA, Pliny the Elder. If you like monster IPAs, this is the one.
> Leaves the Fish Head roly-poly in the dust. I don't know what kind of
> distro it will get, but if I have to drive back to CA to get it, howdy
> UT/NV! Still my fave beer of all time.
>
> http://russianriverbrewing.com/web/b...nytheelder.htm
>
> nb
>
> nb

It's good on draft, too--there are a couple of places in Berkeley/Oakland
that have it on tap from time to time.

Mark.

--
While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making
the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote in news:687cssF2r1hdtU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Now that I wrote the subject line, I'm not sure what else to say.
>
> Amazing beer. It's a limited edition, so if you see it, buy it. But be
> careful, it is almost 10% alcohol. So you could hurt yourself if you
> drank several of them rather quickly -- which would be hard to do (the
> quickly part) because although it is very smooth it's also heavy and
> rich, almost creamy.
>
> Bob

They may label it an ale, but it would be known as a barley wine in the
U.K. An article on same:

http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-000146.html

Good stuff, to be treated with respect.

Mark.

--
While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making
the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short
of deliberate.--V.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-05-06, Mark P. Nelson > wrote:

> They may label it an ale, but it would be known as a barley wine in the
> U.K. An article on same:

Actually, they label it a "barleywine style ale". Cut to the chase:

http://www.sierranevada.com/beers/bigfoot.html

> Good stuff, to be treated with respect.

Agreed.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-05-06, Mark P. Nelson > wrote:

> It's good on draft, too--

Up till now (or the near future), that's the only way it's been available.
Fortunately, RRB is building a new brewery to make enough to bottle.

> there are a couple of places in Berkeley/Oakland
> that have it on tap from time to time.

Yep. First Street Ale House in Livermore ...just a few walking-impaired
blocks from my old abode.... carries it. It's all I drank, except when they
had Bigfoot on draft. Boy, do I miss that walk.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in
:

> On 2008-05-06, Mark P. Nelson > wrote:
>
> Yep. First Street Ale House in Livermore ...just a few
> walking-impaired blocks from my old abode.... carries it. It's all I
> drank, except when they had Bigfoot on draft. Boy, do I miss that
> walk.

Hmmm, we are going to Livermore next weekend, amybe we can find time to
check it out. Thanks.

Mark.

--
While I'll admit that anyone can make a mistake once, to go on making
the same lethal errors century after century seems to me nothing short
of deliberate.--V.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-05-06, Mark P. Nelson > wrote:

> Hmmm, we are going to Livermore next weekend, amybe we can find time to
> check it out. Thanks.

If you're planning lunch, it's a good spot for that, too. For such a little
place (sidewalk and patio seating) they have surprisingly good food. The
burgers and fish n' chips are recommended.

http://www.firststreetalehouse.com/

Park around back in the old Lucky shopping center.

Enjoy =D
nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in
:

> If you're planning lunch, it's a good spot for that, too. For such a
> little place (sidewalk and patio seating) they have surprisingly good
> food. The burgers and fish n' chips are recommended.
>
> http://www.firststreetalehouse.com/
>
> Park around back in the old Lucky shopping center.
>
> Enjoy =D
> nb

Thanks again. We're going to do a day's work, so we won't manage lunch, but
there's hope for a medicinal pint or three afterwards.

Best,
Mark.