Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lunches for Next Week thanks to Charlotte

I don't think CharlotteB of the splendor that is Berkeley posts here any
more. Shame. She is one of the good ones. You should check out her blog,
as I did, and glean some great recipes:
http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com.. I emailed her and told her we need to
have a Bay Area/Sacramento cook-in again. I'm volunteering someone in
Berkeley to do the honors just cause I don't feel up to it :-)

I came upon her recipe via Ranee Mueller (another rfcer I no longer see
here) for Middle Eastern Chopped Salad. I'll make the salad tomorrow, along
with hummus (Leila's recipe) and some homemade pitas. A couple of these
will constitute my lunches next week along with some plain yogurt with mixed
berries (I make my own flavored yogurt rather than buying the
chemical -laden crap I find in grocery stores).

Here's the recipe Charlotte has on her blog. I'll likely use the
lemon-stuffed olives I have in the fridge in lieu of the kalamatas, cos
that's what I have. Charlotte lives near wonderful markets like The Spanish
Table and Andronicos whereas I live in the wilds of Sacramento. I could, I
suppose, trek over to Whole foods, but it's a ways away and I'm changing my
old habits and not driving places on a whim anymore. Gas prices are
sniffing the 4 dollar/gallon mark so I make even more use of my bike these
days.

Middle Eastern Chopped Salad
from Ranee Mueller via Charlotte's blog

1-2 regular cucumbers (peeled and seeded) or 1 small English cuke (peeled,
seeding optional)
3-4 roma tomatoes
1 sweet bell pepper (I like yellow for color contrast but red is ok)
About 1/2 pound feta cheese
About 1/2 pound drained weight good quality pitted Kalamata olives
Chopped Italian parsley - at least 1/2 cup volume
Juice of one lemon

Chop veggies into usefully small bits (no larger than thumbnail is good) and
toss in a bowl. Chop olives roughly and crumble cheese. Toss crumbled
cheese, olives, and parsley in. Add salt/pepper/lemon to taste. If you hold
this salad it will throw off liquid, but it keeps for a while in the fridge.
(Tammy's note: since I'll be eating this all week, I'll chop the
ingredients and refrigerate them separately, combining them each day for my
lunch)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 08:33:38 -0700, "TammyM" >
wrote:

>I don't think CharlotteB of the splendor that is Berkeley posts here any
>more. Shame. She is one of the good ones. You should check out her blog,
>as I did, and glean some great recipes:

She does post. Under clb now...

>http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com.. I emailed her and told her we need to
>have a Bay Area/Sacramento cook-in again. I'm volunteering someone in
>Berkeley to do the honors just cause I don't feel up to it :-)

Damn. I won't be there.... Can we have another one when I make it
back to the bay area in about a year or so? Maybe I will even have
one, once I find a house.

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> I don't think CharlotteB of the splendor that is Berkeley posts here any
> more. Shame. She is one of the good ones.

Google groups says last time she posted was April 6, about three
weeks ago, so I wouldn't write her off yet. :-)

> You should check out her blog,
> as I did, and glean some great recipes:
> http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com.. I emailed her and told her we need to
> have a Bay Area/Sacramento cook-in again. I'm volunteering someone in
> Berkeley to do the honors just cause I don't feel up to it :-)

We can do it at my place (maybe two miles from Charlotte's), but my
place, while not tiny, isn't all that impressive from an
entertaining standpoint. Still, I'd be happy to host. We do have a
park right across the street, so we could grill stuff over there or
something. The weather's warming up.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene > wrote in message
> TammyM wrote:
>> [..] I emailed her and told her we need to have
>> a Bay Area/Sacramento cook-in again. I'm
>> volunteering someone in Berkeley to do the
>> honors just cause I don't feel up to it :-)
>>

> We can do it at my place (maybe two miles
> from Charlotte's), but my place, while not tiny,
> isn't all that impressive from an entertaining
> standpoint. Still, I'd be happy to host. We do
> have a park right across the street, so we
> could grill stuff over there or something. The weather's
> warming up.

If there's a large enough turnout, then holding the event at
the park might work better...

The "NOT volunteering" Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
news:BLGdnU22euHfxY7VnZ2dnUVZ_oqhnZ2d@rawbandwidth ...
> Serene > wrote in message
>> TammyM wrote:
>>> [..] I emailed her and told her we need to have
>>> a Bay Area/Sacramento cook-in again. I'm
>>> volunteering someone in Berkeley to do the
>>> honors just cause I don't feel up to it :-)
>>>

>> We can do it at my place (maybe two miles
>> from Charlotte's), but my place, while not tiny,
>> isn't all that impressive from an entertaining
>> standpoint. Still, I'd be happy to host. We do,
>> have a park right across the street, so we
>> could grill stuff over there or something. The weather's warming up.

> If there's a large enough turnout, then holding the event at the park
> might work better...
>
> The "NOT volunteering" Ranger

Oh, you are SO not fun.

Serene, one of the most enjoyable cook-ins I've ever attended was at Jen aka
Blacksun21's place which, at that time, was in the Sunset. I think. I'm
directionally challenged. Her apartment was teenytiny. Her kitchen was
even teenytinier. We had a ball. Evergene and I exchanged insults which
culminated in us naming each other "Bagna Cauda sluts". Teenytiny venues
for cook-ins necessitate intimacy.

It's just like we always tell the menfolk - size doesn't matter. Only in
this case, we're actually being truthful.

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM > wrote in message
> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
> news:BLGdnU22euHfxY7VnZ2dnUVZ_oqhnZ2d@rawbandwidth ...

[snip]
>> If there's a large enough turnout, then holding the
>> event at the park might work better...
>>

> Oh, you are SO not fun.

[snip Sardine Packing Intimacy]

I have been accused of many things... But not being fun? I'm.
I'm. So insulted. =8^þ~~

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene" > wrote in message
> TammyM wrote:
>> I don't think CharlotteB of the splendor that is Berkeley posts here any
>> more. Shame. She is one of the good ones.

> Google groups says last time she posted was April 6, about three weeks
> ago, so I wouldn't write her off yet. :-)
>
> > You should check out her blog,
>> as I did, and glean some great recipes:
>> http://loveandcooking.blogspot.com.. I emailed her and told her we need
>> to have a Bay Area/Sacramento cook-in again. I'm volunteering someone in
>> Berkeley to do the honors just cause I don't feel up to it :-)

> We can do it at my place (maybe two miles from Charlotte's), but my place,
> while not tiny, isn't all that impressive from an entertaining standpoint.
> Still, I'd be happy to host. We do have a park right across the street, so
> we could grill stuff over there or something. The weather's warming up.

Come to think of it, Ron and Joe have a great place for a cook-in. Maybe
I'll see if they'll let me volunteer them :-)
If you've never sampled Joe's cooking, well! You're really missing out.
That guy can COOK!

TammyM, thinking that maybe she started something....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
news:nOOdnbANfONrwY7VnZ2dnUVZ_q6mnZ2d@rawbandwidth ...
> TammyM > wrote in message
>> "The Ranger" > wrote in message
>> news:BLGdnU22euHfxY7VnZ2dnUVZ_oqhnZ2d@rawbandwidth ...

> [snip]
>>> If there's a large enough turnout, then holding the
>>> event at the park might work better...
>>>

>> Oh, you are SO not fun.

> [snip Sardine Packing Intimacy]
>
> I have been accused of many things... But not being fun? I'm. I'm. So
> insulted. =8^þ~~

You're just miffed about the size reference which you SNIPPED!
=:-o

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM > wrote in message
[snip]
> You're just miffed about the size reference [..]

"You'd like to think that! You've beaten my Spaniard which
means..." Oh wait. Wrong channeling.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Great! I was just looking up recipes for "Greek Salad" this morning.
All called for red wine vinegar, but lemon sounds better to me.

`````````````````````````

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:38:52 -0700, "TammyM" >
wrote:

>"The Ranger" > wrote in message
>news:BLGdnU22euHfxY7VnZ2dnUVZ_oqhnZ2d@rawbandwidt h...
>> Serene > wrote in message
>>>>
>>> We can do it at my place (maybe two miles
>>> from Charlotte's), but my place, while not tiny,
>>> isn't all that impressive from an entertaining
>>> standpoint. Still, I'd be happy to host. We do,
>>> have a park right across the street, so we
>>> could grill stuff over there or something. The weather's warming up.

>> If there's a large enough turnout, then holding the event at the park
>> might work better...
>>
>> The "NOT volunteering" Ranger

>Oh, you are SO not fun.
>
>Serene, one of the most enjoyable cook-ins I've ever attended was at Jen aka
>Blacksun21's place which, at that time, was in the Sunset. I think. I'm
>directionally challenged. Her apartment was teenytiny. Her kitchen was
>even teenytinier. We had a ball. Evergene and I exchanged insults which
>culminated in us naming each other "Bagna Cauda sluts". Teenytiny venues
>for cook-ins necessitate intimacy.
>
>It's just like we always tell the menfolk - size doesn't matter. Only in
>this case, we're actually being truthful.

Those were great get-togethers. Have you kept up with her?