FoodBanter.com

-   -   Finishing Salts (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/154345-finishing-salts.html)

merryb 22-04-2008 09:47 PM

Finishing Salts

So I see this trend a bit lately in things I've read. Have any of you
tried any of them? I'm a bit curious, and there is a store that offers
tastings here in the Seattle area. Just wondering if it's just a fad,
or if they really add a lot of flavor, besides salt!

sf[_3_] 23-04-2008 06:52 AM

Finishing Salts

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:47:55 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>So I see this trend a bit lately in things I've read. Have any of you
>tried any of them? I'm a bit curious, and there is a store that offers
>tastings here in the Seattle area. Just wondering if it's just a fad,
>or if they really add a lot of flavor, besides salt!

I'm not sure what you mean by finishing salt, but if you're in Seattle
and near Pike Place, go to the herb/spice shop at the main
entrance.... it's across from the stall where they throw the fish
around. The herb shop carries lots of different salts in bulk, so you
can buy a tiny amount to try. If you like it, you can always go back
and buy more.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

merryb 23-04-2008 05:22 PM

Finishing Salts

On Apr 22, 10:52*pm, sf <.> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:47:55 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>
> >So I see this trend a bit lately in things I've read. Have any of you
> >tried any of them? I'm a bit curious, and there is a store that offers
> >tastings here in the Seattle area. Just wondering if it's just a fad,
> >or if they really add a lot of flavor, besides salt!

> I'm not sure what you mean by finishing salt, but if you're in Seattle
> and near Pike Place, go to the herb/spice shop at the main
> entrance.... it's across from the stall where they throw the fish
> around. *The herb shop carries lots of different salts in bulk, so you
> can buy a tiny amount to try. *If you like it, you can always go back
> and buy more.
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email
> remove the smile first

I read an article about them- they're used right before serving- not
for cooking with. From what I understand, areas of the world have
different soil/mineral makeup, which is suppossed to lend different
flavors to the salt. I saw one that was beautiful pink crystals, and
another salt that was smoked. There are more varieties, but that's all
I can recall from the top of my head. Thanks for the shopping info-
that store is right by my fave, DeLaurenti's.

Anthony Ferrante[_2_] 24-04-2008 02:00 AM

Finishing Salts

Try this page:

http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/si..._reference.asp

I went to a spice shop and wanted to taste Fleur de Sel
and it was extermely expensive and the lady actually poured out one
crystal and gave it to me. I must admit, that one tiny piece had lots
of flavor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur_de_sel

Just so you get get some idea about this salt, visit this page, check
out the prices, scroll down and read the reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Fleur-Sel-Cama.../dp/B000EQSAIY

Mark

sf[_3_] 24-04-2008 06:17 AM

Finishing Salts

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:22:32 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>Thanks for the shopping info- that store is right by my fave, DeLaurenti's.

I don't remember that one. Do you ever buy from Pappardelle's? I was
absolutely amazed by their selection.

merryb 24-04-2008 04:52 PM

Finishing Salts

On Apr 23, 6:00*pm, Anthony Ferrante >
wrote:
> Try this page:
>
> http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/si..._reference.asp
>
> I went to a spice shop and wanted to taste Fleur de Sel
> and it was extermely expensive and the lady actually poured out one
> crystal and gave it to me. I must admit, that one tiny piece had lots
> of flavor.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur_de_sel
>
> Just so you get get some idea about this salt, visit this page, check
> out the prices, scroll down and read the reviews:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Fleur-Sel-Cama.../dp/B000EQSAIY
>
> Mark

Thanks for the info, So, did it have another flavor to it, besides
salt?

merryb 24-04-2008 04:54 PM

Finishing Salts

On Apr 23, 10:17*pm, sf <.> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:22:32 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the shopping info- that store is right by my fave, DeLaurenti's.

> I don't remember that one. *Do you ever buy from Pappardelle's? *I was
> absolutely amazed by their selection.
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email
> remove the smile first

I've never seen Pappardelle's- what do they sell? DeLaurenti's is
right across from the donut vendor and newspaper stand.

Giusi[_2_] 24-04-2008 08:09 PM

Finishing Salts

wrote:
> Try this page:
>
> http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/si..._reference.asp
>
> I went to a spice shop and wanted to taste Fleur de Sel
> and it was extermely expensive and the lady actually poured out one
> crystal and gave it to me. I must admit, that one tiny piece had lots
> of flavor.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur_de_sel
>
> Just so you get get some idea about this salt, visit this page, check
> out the prices, scroll down and read the reviews:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Fleur-Sel-Cama.../dp/B000EQSAIY
>
> Mark

Thanks for the info, So, did it have another flavor to it, besides
salt?

Yea it does, but as they are čplanktons and algae it is difficult to name
them,. For salt it is expensive, but It isn't really expensive because you
use a bit and you don't use it instewad of ordinary salt in everything you
cook. I paid about 12 euro for about a liter.

merryb 24-04-2008 08:59 PM

Finishing Salts

On Apr 24, 12:09*pm, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "merryb" > ha scritto nel ...
> On Apr 23, 6:00 pm, Anthony Ferrante >
> wrote:
>

> > Try this page:

> >http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/si..._reference.asp

> > I went to a spice shop and wanted to taste Fleur de Sel
> > and it was extermely expensive and the lady actually poured out one
> > crystal and gave it to me. I must admit, that one tiny piece had lots
> > of flavor.

> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur_de_sel

> > Just so you get get some idea about this salt, visit this page, check
> > out the prices, scroll down and read the reviews:

> >http://www.amazon.com/Fleur-Sel-Cama.../dp/B000EQSAIY

> > Mark

> Thanks for the info, So, did it have another flavor to it, besides
> salt?
>
> Yea it does, but as they are čplanktons and algae it is difficult to name
> them,. *For salt it is expensive, but It isn't really expensive because you
> use a bit and you don't use it instewad of ordinary salt in everything you
> cook. *I paid about 12 euro for about a liter.- Hide quoted text -

Interesting- guess I'll have to go & sample some. Thanks for your
opinion.

gunner 25-04-2008 12:35 AM

Finishing Salts

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Apr 24, 12:09 pm, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "merryb" > ha scritto nel
> On Apr 23, 6:00 pm, Anthony Ferrante >
> wrote:
>

> > Try this page:

> >http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/si..._reference.asp

> > I went to a spice shop and wanted to taste Fleur de Sel
> > and it was extermely expensive and the lady actually poured out one
> > crystal and gave it to me. I must admit, that one tiny piece had lots
> > of flavor.

> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur_de_sel

> > Just so you get get some idea about this salt, visit this page, check
> > out the prices, scroll down and read the reviews:

> >http://www.amazon.com/Fleur-Sel-Cama.../dp/B000EQSAIY

> > Mark

> Thanks for the info, So, did it have another flavor to it, besides
> salt?
>
> Yea it does, but as they are čplanktons and algae it is difficult to name
> them,. For salt it is expensive, but It isn't really expensive because you
> use a bit and you don't use it instewad of ordinary salt in everything you
> cook. I paid about 12 euro for about a liter.- Hide quoted text -

>Interesting- guess I'll have to go & sample some. Thanks for your

opinion.

Shalish Alder smoked salts are very nice for Salmon and BBQ/
grilled meats, the Hawaiian Red is also nice.

Try making your own. I mix some salts with
key lime zest and some spices to create unique blends such as Lavendar,
thyme etc. Not as concertrated as the seal salts but still unique.

This is a search start to compare some prices:
http://www.bulkpeppercorns.com/sea_salt
http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/si..._reference.asp
http://atthemeadow.com/salt/saltlist.htm

Note the course grained salts are usually less sodium than the finer table
salts we know so it is less sodium in the dish.

sf[_3_] 25-04-2008 05:26 AM

Finishing Salts

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:54:23 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>On Apr 23, 10:17*pm, sf <.> wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:22:32 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Thanks for the shopping info- that store is right by my fave, DeLaurenti's.

>> I don't remember that one. *Do you ever buy from Pappardelle's? *I was
>> absolutely amazed by their selection.
>>
>> --
>> See return address to reply by email
>> remove the smile first

>I've never seen Pappardelle's- what do they sell? DeLaurenti's is
>right across from the donut vendor and newspaper stand.

Maybe the stand has a different name, but you'd have to be blind to
miss it. It's the huge stall that sells a bazillion different kinds
of dried pasta. The brand they sell is Pappardelle's. Like I said
it's near the front entrance - where they throw the fish around.

I didn't find a vendor map online, so I don't have a way to point you
in the right direction. Sorry.

merryb 25-04-2008 04:34 PM

Finishing Salts

On Apr 24, 9:26*pm, sf <.> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:54:23 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>
> >On Apr 23, 10:17*pm, sf <.> wrote:

> >> I don't remember that one. *Do you ever buy from Pappardelle's? *I was
> >> absolutely amazed by their selection.

> >> --
> >> See return address to reply by email
> >> remove the smile first

> >I've never seen Pappardelle's- what do they sell? DeLaurenti's is
> >right across from the donut vendor and newspaper stand.

> Maybe the stand has a different name, but you'd have to be blind to
> miss it. *It's the huge stall that sells a bazillion different kinds
> of dried pasta. *The brand they sell is Pappardelle's. *Like I said
> it's near the front entrance - where they throw the fish around.
>
> I didn't find a vendor map online, so I don't have a way to point you
> in the right direction. *Sorry.
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email
> remove the smile first

Ok, I know who you're talking about. Last time I was at the market,
they were pushing chocolate pasta!

merryb 25-04-2008 04:37 PM

Finishing Salts

On Apr 24, 4:35*pm, "gunner" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> On Apr 24, 12:09 pm, "Giusi" > wrote:
>

> > "merryb" > ha scritto nel
> > On Apr 23, 6:00 pm, Anthony Ferrante >
> > wrote:

> > > Try this page:

> > >http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/si..._reference.asp

> > > I went to a spice shop and wanted to taste Fleur de Sel
> > > and it was extermely expensive and the lady actually poured out one
> > > crystal and gave it to me. I must admit, that one tiny piece had lots
> > > of flavor.

> > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleur_de_sel

> > > Just so you get get some idea about this salt, visit this page, check
> > > out the prices, scroll down and read the reviews:

> > >http://www.amazon.com/Fleur-Sel-Cama.../dp/B000EQSAIY

> > > Mark

> > Thanks for the info, So, did it have another flavor to it, besides
> > salt?

> > Yea it does, but as they are čplanktons and algae it is difficult to name
> > them,. For salt it is expensive, but It isn't really expensive because you
> > use a bit and you don't use it instewad of ordinary salt in everything you
> > cook. I paid about 12 euro for about a liter.- Hide quoted text -

> >Interesting- guess I'll have to go & sample some. Thanks for your

> opinion.
>
> Shalish Alder smoked salts are very nice for Salmon and BBQ/
> grilled meats, the Hawaiian Red is also nice.
>
> Try making your own. * I mix some salts with
> key lime zest and some spices to create unique blends such as *Lavendar,
> thyme etc. Not as concertrated as the seal salts but still unique.
>
> This is a search start to compare some prices:http://www.bulkpeppercorns.com/sea_s...t/saltlist.htm
>
> Note the course grained salts are usually less sodium than the finer table
> salts we know so it is less sodium in the dish.- Hide quoted text -

Interesting idea!! I'll have to try that. No problem with the salt
dissolving fronm the moisture from the zest?

sf[_3_] 26-04-2008 05:52 AM

Finishing Salts

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 08:34:18 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>Ok, I know who you're talking about. Last time I was at the market,
>they were pushing chocolate pasta!

Heh, I didn't see that type when I visited.

gunner 27-04-2008 05:38 PM

Finishing Salts

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Apr 24, 4:35 pm, "gunner" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> On Apr 24, 12:09 pm, "Giusi" > wrote:
>

> > "merryb" > ha scritto nel

"Interesting idea!! I'll have to try that. No problem with the salt
dissolving fronm the moisture from the zest?"

No, it "mummifies" quite well in a few days, then you can take the zest and
grind it up and reintroduce it to the salt if you want. Still have a bit of
problems in working on a bacon flavored sea salt ;)

Been experimenting with it since I read it in Jaden's Steamy kitchen blog.
http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/0...lavored-salts/.
But when you think about it we have been doing this finishing salt in one
form or another all along. Had a batch of Pink Peppercorns as well as
Szechwan peppercorns along with several brands of sea salts, key limes,
lemons, oranges so I decided to give it a try. Recently have done a chile
lime alder smoked sea salt, quick pulsed in the spice blender to make it
bit finer for the table. Really good on such as grilled meats, chicken and
corn.

Let me know if you come up a fav blend

blake murphy 28-04-2008 04:10 PM

Finishing Salts

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:38:21 -0700, "gunner" >
wrote:

>"merryb" > wrote in message
>On Apr 24, 4:35 pm, "gunner" > wrote:
>> "merryb" > wrote in message

>> On Apr 24, 12:09 pm, "Giusi" > wrote:
>>

>> > "merryb" > ha scritto nel

>"Interesting idea!! I'll have to try that. No problem with the salt
>dissolving fronm the moisture from the zest?"
>
>No, it "mummifies" quite well in a few days, then you can take the zest and
>grind it up and reintroduce it to the salt if you want. Still have a bit of
>problems in working on a bacon flavored sea salt ;)
>
>Been experimenting with it since I read it in Jaden's Steamy kitchen blog.
>http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/0...lavored-salts/.
>But when you think about it we have been doing this finishing salt in one
>form or another all along. Had a batch of Pink Peppercorns as well as
>Szechwan peppercorns along with several brands of sea salts, key limes,
>lemons, oranges so I decided to give it a try. Recently have done a chile
>lime alder smoked sea salt, quick pulsed in the spice blender to make it
>bit finer for the table. Really good on such as grilled meats, chicken and
>corn.
>
>Let me know if you come up a fav blend

how do you use your szechuan pepper salt? i've been thinking of
making some.

your pal,
blake

gunner 29-04-2008 02:48 AM

Finishing Salts

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:38:21 -0700, "gunner" >
> wrote:
>

>>"merryb" > wrote in message
>>On Apr 24, 4:35 pm, "gunner" > wrote:

>>"Interesting idea!! I'll have to try that. No problem with the salt
>>dissolving fronm the moisture from the zest?"
>>
>>No, it "mummifies" quite well in a few days, then you can take the zest
>>and
>>grind it up and reintroduce it to the salt if you want. Still have a bit
>>of
>>problems in working on a bacon flavored sea salt ;)
>>
>>Been experimenting with it since I read it in Jaden's Steamy kitchen blog.
>>http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/0...lavored-salts/.
>>But when you think about it we have been doing this finishing salt in one
>>form or another all along. Had a batch of Pink Peppercorns as well as
>>Szechwan peppercorns along with several brands of sea salts, key limes,
>>lemons, oranges so I decided to give it a try. Recently have done a
>>chile
>>lime alder smoked sea salt, quick pulsed in the spice blender to make it
>>bit finer for the table. Really good on such as grilled meats, chicken
>>and
>>corn.
>>
>>Let me know if you come up a fav blend
>>

> how do you use your szechuan pepper salt? i've been thinking of
> making some.

Blake, I have made small batches of the pink and szechwan PC with some of
the Hawaiian Alaea red sea salt, along with some other spices, with the
intent of developing salmon (especially gravlax) and tuna dishes .
Unfortunately, Doc said hold up on seafoods for a bit. so I wait. I seem
to recall Jaden had some ideas on her site for the salts.

sf[_3_] 29-04-2008 04:36 AM

Finishing Salts

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:48:38 -0700, "gunner" >
wrote:

>I seem to recall Jaden had some ideas on her site for the salts.

Who is Jaden and what is the URL?

[email protected] 29-04-2008 06:03 AM

Finishing Salts

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:36:09 -0700, sf <.> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:48:38 -0700, "gunner" >
>wrote:
>
>>I seem to recall Jaden had some ideas on her site for the salts.

>Who is Jaden and what is the URL?

She has a modern Asian cooking blog. She is a food writer, cooking
instructor and writes a fun blog.
http://steamykitchen.com/blog/

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 4/20
"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw

blake murphy 29-04-2008 03:39 PM

Finishing Salts

wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 09:38:21 -0700, "gunner" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Been experimenting with it since I read it in Jaden's Steamy kitchen blog.
>>>http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/0...lavored-salts/.
>>>But when you think about it we have been doing this finishing salt in one
>>>form or another all along. Had a batch of Pink Peppercorns as well as
>>>Szechwan peppercorns along with several brands of sea salts, key limes,
>>>lemons, oranges so I decided to give it a try. Recently have done a
>>>chile
>>>lime alder smoked sea salt, quick pulsed in the spice blender to make it
>>>bit finer for the table. Really good on such as grilled meats, chicken
>>>and
>>>corn.
>>>
>>>Let me know if you come up a fav blend
>>>

>> how do you use your szechuan pepper salt? i've been thinking of
>> making some.
>>

>Blake, I have made small batches of the pink and szechwan PC with some of
>the Hawaiian Alaea red sea salt, along with some other spices, with the
>intent of developing salmon (especially gravlax) and tuna dishes .
>Unfortunately, Doc said hold up on seafoods for a bit. so I wait. I seem
>to recall Jaden had some ideas on her site for the salts.

o.k. i will go back and look again.

your pal,
blake

gunner 29-04-2008 04:27 PM

Finishing Salts

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:36:09 -0700, sf <.> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:48:38 -0700, "gunner" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I seem to recall Jaden had some ideas on her site for the salts.

>>Who is Jaden and what is the URL?

> She has a modern Asian cooking blog. She is a food writer, cooking
> instructor and writes a fun blog.
> http://steamykitchen.com/blog/
>
> koko
> ---
> http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 4/20
> "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
> George Bernard Shaw

The finishing salt link was in a previous post.
Here it is again:
http://steamykitchen.com/blog/2007/0...lavored-salts/.

gunner 29-04-2008 10:43 PM

New link

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 18:48:38 -0700, "gunner" >
> wrote:
>

>>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> how do you use your szechuan pepper salt? i've been thinking of
>>> making some.
>>>

>>Blake, I have made small batches of the pink and szechwan PC with some of
>>the Hawaiian Alaea red sea salt, along with some other spices, with the
>>intent of developing salmon (especially gravlax) and tuna dishes .
>>Unfortunately, Doc said hold up on seafoods for a bit. so I wait. I seem
>>to recall Jaden had some ideas on her site for the salts.
>>

> o.k. i will go back and look again.

Ran across this on Salts today:
http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai...t-glossary.asp