Kswck

Default Looking for a Veal Stew recipe w/o mushrooms

A friend loves veal but won't eat anything w/mushrooms in it.

Thank you in advance.

jmcquown

Kswck wrote:
> A friend loves veal but won't eat anything w/mushrooms in it.
>

> Thank you in advance.

Must it be stew? I find it difficult to waste good veal in a stew when beef
or mutton will do.

At any rate, no need to add mushrooms to any kind of stew if you (or your
friend) don't like them. It's not like they add something really
significant to a concoction of meat, potatoes, carrots, celery, herbs and
spices in a nice thick broth.

OR:

Veal Piccata (serves 2)

1/2 lb. thinly sliced veal scallops
1 lemon
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
ground pepper to taste
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
3 Tbs. butter
1/4 c. white wine
1 Tbs. fresh minced parsley

Cut 4 thin slices from the lemon. Squeeze the juice from the remaining
lemon and set aside. In a shallow dish or pie plate, combine flour, salt &
pepper. Dredge the veal in the flour to coat. Set aside on waxed paper.

In a large skillet, melt butter with oil over medium heat until hot. Add
the garlic and stir until lightly browned. Add the veal and brown on each
side, 2-3 minutes, until golden. Remove to a platter to keep warm.

Deglaze the pan with wine; stir in parsley and simmer a couple of minutes
until thickened.

Place slices of lemon on the veal and spoon the sauce over the top. Garnish
with fresh parsley. Serve with rice or buttered fettucini seasoned simply
with olive oil, marjoram and poppy seeds; add some freshly steamed spinach
or asparagus spears on the side.

Jill

Jj7651

Super Veal Stew
1 lb.veal strips,1 tsp.margerine,4 tbs.tomato paste,12
tbs.water,salt,pepper,oregano,garlic powder to taste,1 large onion.

Melt margerine in skillet.Brown both sides of veal strips.Place in baking
dish.Blend tomato paste,water,seasonings and finely chopped onion.Pour over
veal.Cover.Bake at 350 for 30 min.Serve.

For more fine recipes,please e-mail me at k you.Joseph
Dave Smith

Kswck wrote:

> A friend loves veal but won't eat anything w/mushrooms in it.

I used to work with a crew that included a fatter and son. One
night they came in for work and the father was in a foul mood.
The son kept prodding him to tell us why he was in such a snit.
He hated mushrooms. His wife had cooked Beef Stroganoff for
dinner that night. When he went back for his *third* helping, the
son offered him some extra mushrooms since he seemed to be
enjoying them so much. Upon discovering that he had been fed
something that he hates he was furious. The old guy died a few
years ago, and those of us who knew him usually recall that story
and have a good laugh.

Jimmy Tango

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Kswck wrote:
> > A friend loves veal but won't eat anything w/mushrooms in it.
> >

> > Thank you in advance.

> Must it be stew? I find it difficult to waste good veal in a stew when

beef
> or mutton will do.
>
> At any rate, no need to add mushrooms to any kind of stew if you (or your
> friend) don't like them. It's not like they add something really
> significant to a concoction of meat, potatoes, carrots, celery, herbs and
> spices in a nice thick broth.
>
> OR:
>
> Veal Piccata (serves 2)

[snip]

You've just changed my mind about dinner tonight! Veal piccata it is!
Thanks for the idea.

jmcquown

Jimmy Tango wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Kswck wrote:
>>> A friend loves veal but won't eat anything w/mushrooms in it.
>>>

>>> Thank you in advance.

>> OR:
>>
>> Veal Piccata (serves 2)
>>

> [snip]
>
> You've just changed my mind about dinner tonight! Veal piccata it is!
> Thanks for the idea.

I neglected to say add the remaining lemon juice along with the wine. Also
if needed, thicken the sauce lightly with a cornstarch slurry.

Jill

Frogleg

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:36:43 GMT, Kswck > wrote:

>A friend loves veal but won't eat anything w/mushrooms in it.

Google on

"veal stew" recipe

and leave out the mushrooms. Or, unless food allergy is involved, chop
them *very* fine so that they're unidentifiable.
jmcquown

Frogleg wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:36:43 GMT, Kswck > wrote:
>
>> A friend loves veal but won't eat anything w/mushrooms in it.

> Google on
>
> "veal stew" recipe
>
> and leave out the mushrooms. Or, unless food allergy is involved, chop
> them *very* fine so that they're unidentifiable.

(laughing) I normally don't like mushrooms unless they are identified *as*
mushrooms. That is, batter dipped and fried button mushrooms. Or shitake
mushrooms in a cream of mushroom soup. Otherwise, yeah, chop them up into
tiny bits and no one will ever notice.

Jill

Victor Sack

Kswck > wrote:

> A friend loves veal but won't eat anything w/mushrooms in it.

Nowadays, stewing with a lot of other ingredients is the best way to
prepare veal, which, unfortunately, is now almost invariably tasteless,
having surpassed every other white meat in this regard. As far as this
new-style veal is concerned, the following recipe is my favourite. I
have eaten it in situ (at the great little Parisian bistro Le Chaméléon)
and I have prepared it myself. The recipe is from _Bistro Cooking_ by
Patricia Wells.

Victor

Tendrons de Veau Le Chaméléon
Le Chaméléon's Braised Veal with Fresh Pasta

In France, one of the most popular cuts of veal for stewing is
_tendron_, the portion of the breast that contains the cartilaginous
rib-like portions that visually resemble pork spare ribs when cooked.
For this recipe, you can choose from any number of good cuts of stewing
veal, including the breast (known in France as _poitrine_ or _tendron_),
the short ribs (_haut de côtes_), veal shoulder and shoulder chops
(_épaule_ or _côtes découvertes_), and the heel of round or shank (_gîte
à la noix_ or _jarret_). This is one of my favorite bistro dishes (both
to prepare and to eat!) and I order it often when I go to the popular
Paris bistro Le Caméléon. With it, I usually drink the fruity red
Saumur-Champigny from the Loire.

2 tablespoons peanut oil
2 pounds (1 kg) breast of veal with the bone (ask your butcher to cut
across the lower breast portion to make several strips of equal
width)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup (25 cl) dry white wine
4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
2 medium onions, cut into rings
4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 imported bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 large can (28 ounces; 794 g) Italian plum tomatoes, with their liquid
1 pound (500 g) fresh fettuccine (obviously you can use dried pasta
here, just don't expect the result to the quite the same)
Small handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped

1. Heat the oil in a nonreactive, deep-sided, 12-inch (30 cm) skillet
over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, begin to brown the veal in
batches on both sides; do not crowd the pan. Be patient when browning;
good browning is essential for the veal to retain all of its flavor.
The meat should take about 5 minutes to brown each batch. Carefully
regulate the heat to avoid scorching the meat. As each batch is
browned, remove the veal to a platter and season generously with salt
and pepper.

2. When all of the veal is browned, pour out the fat from the skillet.
Return all of the meat to the pan. Add the wine, carrots, onions,
garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil over high
heat. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer until the meat is very
tender and the liquid is transformed into a thick, delicious sauce,
about 1 1/2 hours. Keep an eye on the pan, making sure the liquid
remains at a quiet, gentle simmer.

3. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Salt the
water, add the pasta, and cook just until tender. Drain. Place the
pasta on a large, warmed serving platter.

4. Using a flat metal strainer, remove the veal from the pan; place on
top of the pasta. Strain the sauce through a sieve. Pour the sauce
over the veal. Sprinkle on the parsley. Serve immediately, on warmed
dinner plates.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings.
LIMEYNO1

I buy veal shoulder when it's on special, usually $1.69 lb. I cut it up for
stew and follow any beef stew recipe. In fact I just made a steak and
kidney stew for dinner tonight.

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

<><
www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

225/205/145
. ..

&
> pepper. Dredge the veal in the flour to coat. Set aside on waxed paper.
>
> In a large skillet, melt butter with oil over medium heat until hot. Add
> the garlic and stir until lightly browned. Add the veal and brown on each
> side, 2-3 minutes, until golden. Remove to a platter to keep warm.
>
> Deglaze the pan with wine; stir in parsley and simmer a couple of minutes
> until thickened.
>
> Place slices of lemon on the veal and spoon the sauce over the top.

Garnish
> with fresh parsley. Serve with rice or buttered fettucini seasoned simply
> with olive oil, marjoram and poppy seeds; add some freshly steamed spinach
> or asparagus spears on the side.
>
> Jill

alzelt

> Kswck wrote:
>

>>A friend loves veal but won't eat anything w/mushrooms in it.

Like Victor, veal is fast becoming extinct, for two reasons: too
expensive and too little produced. Here are a few good ones. And like
Victor, I also like ones from Patricia Wells.

* Exported from MasterCook *

HEARTY VEAL STEW WITH RED WINE AND SWEET PEPPERS

Recipe By : Bon Appétit,October 2000
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dinner Main Dish
Meats Stew
Veal

2 pounds
1 inch pieces trimmed veal stew meat
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves -- flattened
2 tablespoons butter -- (1/4 stick)
3/4 cup dry red wine (preferably Sangiovese)
2 cups canned Italian-style tomatoes with juice
1 tablespoon crumbled dried sage leaves
2 red bell pepper -- cut into 2x1/2" str
2 tablespoons drained capers

Toss veal with flour in medium bowl; shake off excess. Sprinkle veal
with salt and
pepper. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic;
sauté1 minute.
Discard garlic. Add butter to same pot and let melt. Working in batches,
add veal to pot and sautéuntil brown, about 6 minutes
per batch. Using slotted spoon, transfer veal to bowl. Add wine,
tomatoes with juices and sage to pot, breaking up tomatoes
with back of spoon and scraping up any browned bits. Return veal and any
accumulated juices to pot; bring to boil. Reduce
heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 30 minutes.

Add bell peppers to stew; cover and simmer until veal and peppers are
very tender, stirring frequently, about 50 minutes. Stir
in capers. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day
ahead. Cool slightly. Refrigerate until cold, then cover
and keep chilled. Before serving, rewarm over medium heat, stirring often.)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Capers lend tangy contrast to the sweet bell peppers. Serve the
stew over egg noodles

* Exported from MasterCook *

Saute De Veau Aux Carottes La Boutarde

Recipe By : Patricia Wells, Bistro Cooking
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dinner French
Main Dish Meats
Veal

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 pounds boneless veal rump -- sirloin roast, or
stewing veal, cut into
rather large (2 ounce) cubes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 onions -- cut into thin rounds
1 bottle white wine -- such as Muscadet de
Sèvre-et-Maine
3 imported bay leaves
2 teaspoons Herbes de Provence
2 small tomatoes -- cored, peeled,
seeded, and chopped
2 pounds tender young carrots -- peeled and cut into
thin rounds

1. In a deep-sided, nonreactive, 12-inch skillet, heat the oil over
medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, begin to brown the cubes of veal
on all sides. Do not crowd the pan, and be patient when browning. Good
browning is essential, so the veal retains all of its flavor. The meat
should be browned in several batches, taking about 5 minutes to brown
each batch. Carefully regulate the heat to avoid scorching the meat.
As each batch is browned, remove the veal to a platter and season
generously with salt and pepper.

2. When all of the veal is browned, return all of the meat to the
skillet. Add the onions and cook over medium-high heat just until the
onions are soft and translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to
medium; add 1 cup of the wine. Using a metal spatula, scrape up any
cooked-on bits of meat from the bottom of the pan and stir them in with
the wine. Stir in the bay leaves, herbs, and tomatoes. Cover and bring
just to a simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Pour 1 more cup of the
wine. Cover and simmer very gently, over low to medium heat, for 1
hour. Stir in the remaining wine. Cover and simmer for 1 more hour.

3. Remove the veal from the pan; set aside. Add the carrots to the
skillet. Cover and simmer until soft, 40 to 45 minutes. By this point,
the carrots will have absorbed much of the sauce. Return the veal to
the skillet and reheat until warmed through. Serve immediately.

This version of the classic bistro preparation comes from La Boutarde,
a small bistro that serves as a lunchtime cantine for the editors and
writers from the International Herald Tribune. When I prepare this
dish at home, I like to make it a day ahead, so the flavors have plenty
of time to mature. I also find that because the dish shines with such
simplicity, it doesn’t even need to be boosted along by rice or
potatoes. A nice mixed green salad and a crisp baguette will do just
fine. With it, sample the same wine used in cooking. I’d recommend an
Atlantic Coast Mus*cadet de Sèvre-et-Maine.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : La Boutarde’s Sautéed Veal with Carrots
One of the great joys of French bistro cooking lies in its simplicity.
This main-course dish depends upon just three basic ingredients- veal,
wine, and carrots-and when carefully prepared, it is a meal fit for a
king, a meltingly tender marriage of delicately flavored veal and soft,
sweet carrots that joyfully simmer away in the flavorful cooking
juices.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

alzelt

jmcquown wrote:

> Kswck wrote:
>
>>A friend loves veal but won't eat anything w/mushrooms in it.
>>

>>Thank you in advance.

> Must it be stew? I find it difficult to waste good veal in a stew when beef
> or mutton will do.

One of the problems with today's veal is that it is fast losing its
flavor. As a result, many of the best recipes, be they stew or shoulder
roasts, are often done via slow cooking, with herbs and wine. Perhaps as
a result, veal is often available, in the form of shoulder roasts, at a
very cheap price.

When one buys "veal picatta" cut veal, it is very expensive, as are the
chops.

Here is an absolutely phenomenal veal recipe. The hardest part may come
in finding Banyuls, a port like wine from the extreme south of France
(Banyuls sur Mer). And the cut of veal used, is often very cheap. You
can also use with bone in. While it does include cepes (porcini), they
can easily be left out.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rôti de Veau aux Cèpes et Banyuls

Recipe By : published in Saveur in November 2000
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Dinner French
Main Dish Meats
Veal

1 1/2 oz. dried cèpes (porcini)
2 tbsp. peanut -- sunflower, or
vegetable oil
1 2 lb. boneless shoulder veal roast -- tied by butcher
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large yellow onion -- peeled and coarsely
chopped
1 clove garlic -- peeled and finely
chopped
1 bunch parsley -- leaves chopped
2 large sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1 cup sweet banyuls or ruby port

1. Put mushrooms in a medium bowl, add 3 cups warm water, cover,
and set aside until mushrooms are hydrated and soft, about 30 minutes.
Remove mushrooms from liquid, and transfer to a cutting board. Strain
liquid through a coffee filter, and set aside. Coarsely chop mushrooms,
and set aside.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large, heavy ovenproof pot with a tight-fitting
lid over medium-high heat. Season veal generously with salt and pepper,
add to pot, and brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer meat to a
platter, and set aside.

.. Add onions to pot, and cook, stirring and scraping any browned bits
stuck to bottom of pot with a wooden spoon, until lightly browned, about
3 minutes. Add reserved mushrooms and garlic, and cook about 1
minute. Add parsley, thyme, bay leaves, banyuls, and 1 cup of the
reserved mushroom liquid, again scraping any browned bits stuck to
bottom of pot with a wooden spoon.

4. Return meat and any accumulated juices to pot, cover, reduce heat to
low, and braise until meat is tender when pierced with a fork, about 2
1/2 hours. Transfer meat to a cutting board, remove strings, and carve
into thick slices. Serve with mushrooms and braising juices spooned
over meat.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Roast veal with Cepes and Banyuls.
At Cal Pai, Françoise Massot makes this dish with whatever wild
mushrooms she has gathered, using fresh ones in season.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Sandy

Hi Everyone.
My mother-in-law,,,who came from Calabria,,,,,used to make a lovely pasta
sauce with veal,,,,,,,sure wish I could make the same..............I should
say ex-mother-in-law.
The meat would fall apart in the sauce,,,,,,and give such great
taste......Ah,well.

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
> [...]

> and pepper.
>
> 2. When all of the veal is browned, pour out the fat from the skillet.
> Return all of the meat to the pan. Add the wine, carrots, onions,
> garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil over high
> heat. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer until the meat is very
> tender and the liquid is transformed into a thick, delicious sauce,
> about 1 1/2 hours. Keep an eye on the pan, making sure the liquid
> remains at a quiet, gentle simmer.
>
> 3. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Salt the
> water, add the pasta, and cook just until tender. Drain. Place the
> pasta on a large, warmed serving platter.
>
> 4. Using a flat metal strainer, remove the veal from the pan; place on
> top of the pasta. Strain the sauce through a sieve. Pour the sauce
> over the veal. Sprinkle on the parsley. Serve immediately, on warmed

jmcquown

alzelt wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Kswck wrote:
>>
>>> A friend loves veal but won't eat anything w/mushrooms in it.
>>>

>>> Thank you in advance.

>> Must it be stew? I find it difficult to waste good veal in a stew
>> when beef or mutton will do.

> One of the problems with today's veal is that it is fast losing its
> flavor. As a result, many of the best recipes, be they stew or
> shoulder roasts, are often done via slow cooking, with herbs and
> wine. Perhaps as
> a result, veal is often available, in the form of shoulder roasts, at
> very cheap price.
>
> When one buys "veal picatta" cut veal, it is very expensive, as are
> the chops.
>
> Here is an absolutely phenomenal veal recipe. The hardest part may
> come
> in finding Banyuls, a port like wine from the extreme south of France
> (Banyuls sur Mer). And the cut of veal used, is often very cheap. You
> can also use with bone in. While it does include cepes (porcini), they
> can easily be left out.

(snip)
Sounds wonderful!

Jill

Victor Sack

alzelt > wrote:

> Like Victor, veal is fast becoming extinct,

Hey, I'm not becoming extinct yet! Not very fast, I hope, anyway...

> for two reasons: too
> expensive

Well, yes, I like foie gras...

> and too little produced.

Indeed, I'm unique!

Victor

1200TS

> > and leave out the mushrooms. Or, unless food allergy is
involved, chop
> > them *very* fine so that they're unidentifiable.

> mushrooms in a cream of mushroom soup. Otherwise, yeah, chop them

up into
> tiny bits and no one will ever notice.

Doesn't always work. My daughter dislikes onions. I once used
onion powder (thinking it may be the texture), she looks at me at
the beginning of the meal and asks me if I used onions. The little
darling couldn't have been more than 11 or 12 at the time.