Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Make The World Revolve Around My Peanut - Free Kid..."

[thanks to 'Latreen Washington' on alt.support.childfree for posting
this...]

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...4202008/371656

Food industry 'nuts' need to act, not merely be aware

April 20, 2008

"WE TOOK a wonderful spring- break vacation to Arizona that of course
included a round-trip plane flight and lots of eating out--not to
mention seeing some of America's greatest natural wonders. Such a trip
takes a family with a peanut-allergic child outside of its comfort
zone of home-cooked foods and known allergy-friendly restaurants.

Peanut-allergy awareness has risen over the past decade along with the
number of people affected, but it's unfortunate that so many hurdles
remain for these and other food-allergic people. The hurdles are
erected by everyone from the server who comes to your restaurant
table, to the largest national food-producing conglomerates.

Some restaurant servers are very understanding, for which we are
always appreciative. One national chain we know, Chili's (and maybe
others we're not aware of), has a menu supplement listing the
ingredients in each menu item. That's good PR.

On the other extreme is the occasional server whose reaction to "I
have a peanut allergy and need to be sure what I'm ordering will be
free of nuts, peanuts, or peanut oil" is a blank stare and a delayed
"You what?"

After visiting with a superior of some sort, the server returns to
say, "We don't offer any guarantees about anything on the menu."

This information is unresponsive and irrelevant. Would you prefer that
we leave? We simply want to know the prevalence of peanuts and nuts in
the menu items and if care is or can be taken to prevent cross-
contamination, such as avoiding unwashed cooking utensils that were
used to prepare any nut-containing dishes.

I submit that this is not too much to ask, assuming that utensils do
get washed.

Current statistics show that about 12 million, or 4 percent of
Americans, are allergic to one or more foods. Peanut allergy affects
1.3 percent of Americans, which may not seem like a lot. But if four
of 100 diners who come to a restaurant have food allergy issues, why
not be prepared to deal with it intelligently? They'll be more likely
to come back.

On our return flight, the attendant came through with snacks. You
could get a bag of peanuts, or you could get a bag of pretzels. On the
pretzels there is the warning: "Manufactured on equipment that
processes peanuts and tree nuts."

"Do you have an alternative for someone with a peanut allergy?" we
asked.

"No, you would have to notify the airline in advance about that," she
said.

Thanks for being so helpful and accommodating.

By my quick calculation, there were 23 rows of six seats each on our
Boeing 737. That's 138 passengers.

The odds are that at least one passenger on the plane, as well as on
each the hundreds of other flights the airline flies day after day,
has a peanut allergy.

Dealing with that reality, however, would require corporate thinking
on the individual customer level, and we all know that corporations
pretty much view the customer base as a herd of cattle--or planeload
of suitcases with heads.

LABELING GUIDELINES

It was over a year ago that the Food and Drug Administration's new
food labeling guidelines went into effect. It's a good idea to let
people know in detail what they're eating. In addition to providing
key dietary information, manufacturers are required to identify any of
the eight primary food allergens--milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree
nuts, peanuts, wheat, or soybeans--that are contained in a product.

Most of them do this in a variety of vague and unhelpful ways. The
wording announces "May contain traces of tree nuts or peanuts," or
"Manufactured on equipment that processes peanuts," or even "Made in a
plant that also manufactures products with peanuts."

While we appreciate that information, all it does is tell a peanut-
allergic child like my daughter that she can't enjoy all the packaged
cookies or Easter candy that her friends eat routinely. Go ahead, try
to find a chocolate candy or cookie that doesn't have a peanut warning
or, better yet, has "peanut-free" on the label.

At age 11, my daughter is and must be her own best protection against
an allergic reaction that could range anywhere from an itchy tongue to
deadly anaphylactic shock. She either carries her Epipen with her, or
knows where one is nearby.

Many of her friends are sympathetic to the situation and help her
remain vigilant. On Valentine's Day, a classmate brought her a package
of yogurt-covered raisins for her to check. It said: "May contain an
occasional peanut or tree nut."

Gee, I wonder what else could have gotten in there. I generally avoid
using brand names in derogatory fashion, but Sun-Maid, please go buy a
clue and I'll reimburse you. Perhaps the statement also applies to
your board of directors: "May contain an occasional nut."

ARE THERE NUTS IN HERE?

Not only did someone write that, but the writer was no doubt
instructed to write that. Maybe the conversation went like this:

Supervisor: Does that candy have nuts in it? The feds require us to
tell people about that.

Label writer: No, boss, no nuts in that.

Supervisor: I don't know I saw Billy Bob over there flick something
into a batch last week. Coulda been a nut--coulda been something else.

Label writer: OK, boss, how about this--"May contain an occasional
nut."

Supervisor: Perfect.

I refuse to believe that major food manufacturers with plants across
the country are unable to produce foods that do not come into contact
with nuts. In fact, I don't think that's the issue at all.

With all the reports of food contamination in recent years and stepped-
up government inspection efforts, companies could remove many of their
nut warnings. But the brilliant legal department probably warns that
just to be safe, the statement on the label ought to cover their short-
sighted, lazy corporate butts.

Food Allergy Awareness Week is May 11-17. Awareness is good, but an
industry acknowledgment of the need to produce allergen-free foods
would be better..."

Richard Amrhine is a writer and editor with The Free Lance-Star.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> [thanks to 'Latreen Washington' on alt.support.childfree for posting
> this...]
>

> http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...4202008/371656
>

> Food industry 'nuts' need to act, not merely be aware

(snip1)
> On our return flight, the attendant came through with snacks. You
> could get a bag of peanuts, or you could get a bag of pretzels. On the
> pretzels there is the warning: "Manufactured on equipment that
> processes peanuts and tree nuts."

(snip2)

When I flew in January I was completely surprised to be handed a peanut
butter granola bar as the snack!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>> [thanks to 'Latreen Washington' on alt.support.childfree for posting
>> this...]
>>

>> http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...4202008/371656
>>

>> Food industry 'nuts' need to act, not merely be aware
>>

> (snip1)
>> On our return flight, the attendant came through with snacks. You could
>> get a bag of peanuts, or you could get a bag of pretzels. On the
>> pretzels there is the warning: "Manufactured on equipment that
>> processes peanuts and tree nuts."
>>

> (snip2)
>
> When I flew in January I was completely surprised to be handed a peanut
> butter granola bar as the snack!

Re "Latreen", above: didn't we just have a thread on stupid names?

I'm reminded of a female[1] contestant we had on a game show I did about a
decade ago. Twentysomething with the first name "Latrina". Poor girl (at
least around anybody with non-Navy military experience or even a normal
vocabulary).

[1] There's a story, perhaps a false UL, but I dunno, about a girl being
named "Female" -- reflecting a/her parent[s]'s desire to give her the
"name" (as he/she/they thought it would be pronounced) fee-MAH-lee.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>>> [thanks to 'Latreen Washington' on alt.support.childfree for posting
>>> this...]

>> When I flew in January I was completely surprised to be handed a peanut
>> butter granola bar as the snack!

> Re "Latreen", above: didn't we just have a thread on stupid names?

FWIW LaTreen is a well-known troll who harps on people with kids.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> When I flew in January I was completely surprised to be handed a peanut
>>> butter granola bar as the snack!

>> Re "Latreen", above: didn't we just have a thread on stupid names?
>>

> FWIW LaTreen is a well-known troll who harps on people with kids.

Dumb me. I forgot that was a 'net nym and quite possibly not a real name.
Although it might be, in these times.

But "Latrina" sure was.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> [1] There's a story, perhaps a false UL, but I dunno, about a girl
> being named "Female" -- reflecting a/her parent[s]'s desire to give
> her the "name" (as he/she/they thought it would be pronounced)
> fee-MAH-lee.

<http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp>

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>

>>[1] There's a story, perhaps a false UL, but I dunno, about a girl
>>being named "Female" -- reflecting a/her parent[s]'s desire to give
>>her the "name" (as he/she/they thought it would be pronounced)
>>fee-MAH-lee.

> <http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp>

My mother, an RN, worked labor and delivery for a few years. She
brought the paperwork for issuing a birth certificate for the newborn
daughter of a very young mother. The girl said the baby's given name
was (phonetically) "Kah Lin".

Mom asked her to spell it and the girl wasn't sure so they sat there
with a pen and a pad of paper and looked at various permutations of the
name, searching for something that looked as pretty as it sounded.

Later that shift she mentioned it to her supervisor who took one look at
the list of names and whacked my mom over the head with a clipboard.

"Kah Lin?! You dumbassed cracker! CAROLINE! The child's name is
Caroline!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:31:45 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Gregory Morrow wrote:
>> [thanks to 'Latreen Washington' on alt.support.childfree for posting
>> this...]
>>

>> http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...4202008/371656
>>

>> Food industry 'nuts' need to act, not merely be aware
>>

>(snip1)
>> On our return flight, the attendant came through with snacks. You
>> could get a bag of peanuts, or you could get a bag of pretzels. On the
>> pretzels there is the warning: "Manufactured on equipment that
>> processes peanuts and tree nuts."
>>

>(snip2)
>
>When I flew in January I was completely surprised to be handed a peanut
>butter granola bar as the snack!

At least they gave you food. Some airlines don't - from what I hear.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Apr 2008 20:06:03 GMT, "Default User" >
wrote:

>Blinky the Shark wrote:
>

>> [1] There's a story, perhaps a false UL, but I dunno, about a girl
>> being named "Female" -- reflecting a/her parent[s]'s desire to give
>> her the "name" (as he/she/they thought it would be pronounced)
>> fee-MAH-lee.

><http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp>

We have Prince, Princess, Sir and Mister... so why not Female? I
don't care how it's pronounced. Some people have no imagination.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:12:02 -0500, Kathleen
> wrote:

>Default User wrote:
>
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>

>>>[1] There's a story, perhaps a false UL, but I dunno, about a girl
>>>being named "Female" -- reflecting a/her parent[s]'s desire to give
>>>her the "name" (as he/she/they thought it would be pronounced)
>>>fee-MAH-lee.

>> <http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp>

>My mother, an RN, worked labor and delivery for a few years. She
>brought the paperwork for issuing a birth certificate for the newborn
>daughter of a very young mother. The girl said the baby's given name
>was (phonetically) "Kah Lin".
>
>Mom asked her to spell it and the girl wasn't sure so they sat there
>with a pen and a pad of paper and looked at various permutations of the
>name, searching for something that looked as pretty as it sounded.
>
>Later that shift she mentioned it to her supervisor who took one look at
>the list of names and whacked my mom over the head with a clipboard.
>
>"Kah Lin?! You dumbassed cracker! CAROLINE! The child's name is
>Caroline!"

LOLOL!

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 21 Apr 2008 09:55:34p, sf told us...

> On 21 Apr 2008 20:06:03 GMT, "Default User" >
> wrote:
>
>>Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>

>>> [1] There's a story, perhaps a false UL, but I dunno, about a girl
>>> being named "Female" -- reflecting a/her parent[s]'s desire to give
>>> her the "name" (as he/she/they thought it would be pronounced)
>>> fee-MAH-lee.

>><http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp>
>>

> We have Prince, Princess, Sir and Mister... so why not Female? I
> don't care how it's pronounced. Some people have no imagination.

That's okay. When I first started posting on Usenet years ago, I replied
to a post requesting some information. I began my post with, "Dear Tia,".

I got a very warm reply of thanks and an explanation that TIA was an
acronym for "Thanks in Advance", not her name. Whattid I know? :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 04(IV)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 05:30:27 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>I got a very warm reply of thanks and an explanation that TIA was an
>acronym for "Thanks in Advance", not her name. Whattid I know? :-)

Oh, you *do* know that Tia is Aunt in Spanish. LOL! It wasn't bad as
far as newbie mistakes go in this day and age.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 21 Apr 2008 11:30:05p, sf told us...

> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 05:30:27 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>I got a very warm reply of thanks and an explanation that TIA was an
>>acronym for "Thanks in Advance", not her name. Whattid I know? :-)

> Oh, you *do* know that Tia is Aunt in Spanish. LOL! It wasn't bad as
> far as newbie mistakes go in this day and age.

Yes, I did know that. I had also worked with a girl many years ago whose
first name was Tia.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:31:45 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> Gregory Morrow wrote:
>>> [thanks to 'Latreen Washington' on alt.support.childfree for posting
>>> this...]
>>>

>>> http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...4202008/371656
>>>

>>> Food industry 'nuts' need to act, not merely be aware
>>>
>>> On our return flight, the attendant came through with snacks. You
>>> could get a bag of peanuts, or you could get a bag of pretzels. On
>>> the pretzels there is the warning: "Manufactured on equipment that
>>> processes peanuts and tree nuts."
>>>

>> When I flew in January I was completely surprised to be handed a
>> peanut butter granola bar as the snack!
>>

> At least they gave you food. Some airlines don't - from what I hear.

It depends on the length of the flight, I think. If I fly to Savannah via
Charlotte, no snack (there's barely time to reach cruising altitude before
preparing for landing!). Through Atlanta, a snack. It's usually these
weird buttery-tasting pretzel things; I bring my own snacks because you just
never know. (Too bad if someone is allergic to cheese & crackers.) I never
paid attention to warnings on the bags as I'm fortunate enough not to have
food allergies.

With the peanut allergy bruhaha I was amazed to be given a peanut butter
granola bar! I've been upgraded to first class a couple of times and they
have better snacks Last time I got a bag of Sun Chips and a couple of
brownies. I ate the Sun Chips and took the brownies to my dad. And yes, I
think they had nuts in them.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:31:45 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:

>> When I flew in January I was completely surprised to be handed a peanut
>> butter granola bar as the snack!
>>

> At least they gave you food. Some airlines don't - from what I hear.

Continental still feeds you. It is nothing exciting, but at least it is
food. I am hoping they do not start charging $25 for a 2nd bag, like a
couple of other airlines have started doing. I pack light, but when I
travel for work, I may need a 2nd bag.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:01:52 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Yes, I did know that. I had also worked with a girl many years ago whose
>first name was Tia.

It was an honest mistake. Who knows what these things mean. For a
while I thought PITA was referring to the bread in some odd way.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Blinky the Shark wrote:
>

>> [1] There's a story, perhaps a false UL, but I dunno, about a girl
>> being named "Female" -- reflecting a/her parent[s]'s desire to give
>> her the "name" (as he/she/they thought it would be pronounced)
>> fee-MAH-lee.

><http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp>

some of the posts on this thread had me thinking along the same lines.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:31:45 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:

>>> When I flew in January I was completely surprised to be handed a
>>> peanut butter granola bar as the snack!
>>>

>> At least they gave you food. Some airlines don't - from what I hear.

> Continental still feeds you. It is nothing exciting, but at least it is
> food. I am hoping they do not start charging $25 for a 2nd bag, like a
> couple of other airlines have started doing. I pack light, but when I
> travel for work, I may need a 2nd bag.
>
> Becca

Continental has joined Delta, Northwest, United and US Airways, in
charging $25 for a second checked bag. AirTran is charging $10.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 22, 7:01 am, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> On Mon 21 Apr 2008 11:30:05p, sf told us...
>
> > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 05:30:27 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > > wrote:

> >>I got a very warm reply of thanks and an explanation that TIA was an
> >>acronym for "Thanks in Advance", not her name. Whattid I know? :-)

> > Oh, you *do* know that Tia is Aunt in Spanish. LOL! It wasn't bad as
> > far as newbie mistakes go in this day and age.

> Yes, I did know that. I had also worked with a girl many years ago whose
> first name was Tia.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
> Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
> Today is: Earth Day
> Countdown till Memorial Day
> 4wks 5dys 19hrs
> May the Farce be with you!

I worked with a girl named Yvonne. Only her mom apparently didn't
know how to pronounce the name, had only seen it in print. The girl's
name was pronounced: Y-vonn-eee, emphasis on the second syllable.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> I worked with a girl named Yvonne. Only her mom apparently didn't
> know how to pronounce the name, had only seen it in print. The girl's
> name was pronounced: Y-vonn-eee, emphasis on the second syllable.
>
> N.

That is so sad
Talk about doing your kid a great disservice.. <sigh>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 22 Apr 2008 11:51:02a, Goomba38 told us...

> Nancy2 wrote:
>
>> I worked with a girl named Yvonne. Only her mom apparently didn't
>> know how to pronounce the name, had only seen it in print. The girl's
>> name was pronounced: Y-vonn-eee, emphasis on the second syllable.
>>
>> N.

> That is so sad
> Talk about doing your kid a great disservice.. <sigh>

There was a temp girl working in an adjacent department whose name was
Dejonay. All I could think of was sauce.

Ethnicity aside, who the hell dreams up some of these idiotic and often
unpronouceable names? And why?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Earth Day
Countdown till Memorial Day
4wks 5dys 12hrs 5mins
Ah! But does a half-dead cat have
Buddha Nature?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:
> On Apr 22, 7:01 am, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:
>> On Mon 21 Apr 2008 11:30:05p, sf told us...
>>
>>> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 05:30:27 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>>> Oh, you *do* know that Tia is Aunt in Spanish. LOL! It wasn't bad as
>>> far as newbie mistakes go in this day and age.

>> Yes, I did know that. I had also worked with a girl many years ago whose
>> first name was Tia.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>> Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
>> Today is: Earth Day
>> Countdown till Memorial Day
>> 4wks 5dys 19hrs
>> May the Farce be with you!

> I worked with a girl named Yvonne. Only her mom apparently didn't
> know how to pronounce the name, had only seen it in print. The girl's
> name was pronounced: Y-vonn-eee, emphasis on the second syllable.
>
> N.

The actress Christina Ricci grew up without watching television. She
read books, and the first time she heard the word "chaos" in school, she
thought they were mispronouncing it.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 22 Apr 2008 11:51:02a, Goomba38 told us...
>

>>Nancy2 wrote:
>>

>>>I worked with a girl named Yvonne. Only her mom apparently didn't
>>>know how to pronounce the name, had only seen it in print. The girl's
>>>name was pronounced: Y-vonn-eee, emphasis on the second syllable.
>>>
>>>N.

>>That is so sad
>>Talk about doing your kid a great disservice.. <sigh>
>>

> There was a temp girl working in an adjacent department whose name was
> Dejonay. All I could think of was sauce.
>
> Ethnicity aside, who the hell dreams up some of these idiotic and often
> unpronouceable names? And why?

Well, at least in some cases they're dreamed up by "dumbassed cracker"
RNs who've mis-heard conventional names pronounced softly in a southern
drawl by shy young girls.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:58:52 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>There was a temp girl working in an adjacent department whose name was
>Dejonay. All I could think of was sauce.

There's a kid at school who is very pretty with long braids (the all
over type), but a little on the stocky side. I heard Janelle when I
first heard the name.... nope, it's Johnell - a boy. Sigh. I hate
guessing games.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:28:40 -0500, Becca >
wrote:

>I pack light, but when I travel for work, I may need a 2nd bag.

Is there any law against packing your own food?

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 22 Apr 2008 07:58:54p, sf told us...

> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:58:52 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>There was a temp girl working in an adjacent department whose name was
>>Dejonay. All I could think of was sauce.

> There's a kid at school who is very pretty with long braids (the all
> over type), but a little on the stocky side. I heard Janelle when I
> first heard the name.... nope, it's Johnell - a boy. Sigh. I hate
> guessing games.

Ya never can tell these days. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Earth Day
Countdown till Memorial Day
4wks 5dys 3hrs 35mins
Cats must open all the presents before
Christmas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 22 Apr 2008 08:02:13p, sf told us...

> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:28:40 -0500, Becca >
> wrote:
>
>>I pack light, but when I travel for work, I may need a 2nd bag.

> Is there any law against packing your own food?

The way things are now, there probably is unless it's something pre-
packaged.

With the extreme (I'd like to say idiotic) restrictions placed on airline
travel today, I'm damned glad that I don't have to travel for work.

I used to really love plane travel, but now I dread the thought of it. The
last flight I took, the seats were so cramped and uncomfortable, I felt
sick the entire trip and afterwards. If I could afford the time and the
expense, I'd take the train anytime.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Earth Day
Countdown till Memorial Day
4wks 5dys 1hrs 45mins
You can't teach people to be lazy.
Either they have it or they don't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:28:40 -0500, Becca >
> wrote:
>
>> I pack light, but when I travel for work, I may need a 2nd bag.

> Is there any law against packing your own food?

Nope, although if you want a beverage you have to buy it *after* you go
through security. And the food you bring should be small (not that anyone
would be bringing half a rotisserie chicken... or would they?!) I fly out
of Savannah tomorrow. I've got some smoked Gouda which I'll slice and
Breton multi-grain crackers. That will be my snack for both legs of the
trip.

You can't carry liquids, gels or aerosols in a carry-on if the containers
are larger than 3 oz. These items must be in a clear quart-size zip-lock
bag. Only one zip-lock bag is allowed. Only one carry-on is allowed on
many flights; last September I had to choose between my purse and my regular
carry-on. I quickly removed my snack and paperback book before handing the
carry-on over to the gate agent. It wouldn't surprise me to find the
airport "gift shops" selling tiny tubes of toothpaste, deodorant, mouthwash
for exhorbitant prices. If a container is over 3 oz. the TSA reps will most
definitely throw your stuff out.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 22 Apr 2008 08:02:13p, sf told us...
>
>> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:28:40 -0500, Becca >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I pack light, but when I travel for work, I may need a 2nd bag.

>> Is there any law against packing your own food?
>>

> The way things are now, there probably is unless it's something pre-
> packaged.
>
> With the extreme (I'd like to say idiotic) restrictions placed on airline
> travel today, I'm damned glad that I don't have to travel for work.
>
> I used to really love plane travel, but now I dread the thought of it. The
> last flight I took, the seats were so cramped and uncomfortable, I felt
> sick the entire trip and afterwards. If I could afford the time and the
> expense, I'd take the train anytime.

I'm working on a trip to Maryland for DW, train costs more than airfare
and takes four times as long. I wish the days when traveling by train
was as easy as going down to the station and buying a seat on a train
going anywhere you wanted to go.

I've probably flown a million miles or more on aircraft but have come to
despise that form of transportation. Seats get smaller as my butt gets
larger, the seats are closer together, no meal service on many routes,
the bathrooms are overloaded and smelly, surly attendants, you name it.

Our Hyundai gets really good mileage but driving 1400 miles at our age
is a real chore. I reckon she's going to fly again. After all, how many
times does your momma turn 100 years old!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> There's a kid at school who is very pretty with long braids (the all
> over type), but a little on the stocky side. I heard Janelle when I
> first heard the name.... nope, it's Johnell - a boy. Sigh. I hate
> guessing games.

When I lived in Texas, both men and women played golf. Here in
Louisiana, it is about 98% men.

My husband and I argued yesterday, whether someone on the golf course
was a man or a woman. He thought it was a *** man, because of the walk,
but as they came closer to us, we could tell it was a woman.

We like to pigeon hole other people. I do not care if they are
male/female, ***/straight, but for some reason, we want to know.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 08:28:40 -0500, Becca >
> wrote:
>
>> I pack light, but when I travel for work, I may need a 2nd bag.

> Is there any law against packing your own food?

You can carry food on the plane, but liquids must weight less than 3 oz.
I have had no problems packing roasted almonds or peanuts. In San Juan,
I bought a salad before I went through security, and they let me take it
on the plane. I have taken apples, grapes and bananas. It can depend on
who is doing security.

You can pack food and beverages in your packed luggage, without the 3 oz
restriction. It could depend on what country you are going to, but I
have not had a problem, yet.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote

> We like to pigeon hole other people. I do not care if they are
> male/female, ***/straight, but for some reason, we want to know.

Isn't that funny? I've wondered about that myself. Unless
you are planning to date that person, what do you care? But
you do. Then you find out and it's, oh, okay. Whatever.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:45:17 -0500, Becca >
wrote:

>Becca wrote:
>> sf wrote:

>>> At least they gave you food. Some airlines don't - from what I hear.

>> Continental still feeds you. It is nothing exciting, but at least it is
>> food. I am hoping they do not start charging $25 for a 2nd bag, like a
>> couple of other airlines have started doing. I pack light, but when I
>> travel for work, I may need a 2nd bag.
>>
>> Becca

>Continental has joined Delta, Northwest, United and US Airways, in
>charging $25 for a second checked bag. AirTran is charging $10.
>
>Becca

when i read your first post, becca, for some reason i thought you
meant a second bag of pretzels. whoa!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:58:52 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Tue 22 Apr 2008 11:51:02a, Goomba38 told us...
>
>> Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>>> I worked with a girl named Yvonne. Only her mom apparently didn't
>>> know how to pronounce the name, had only seen it in print. The girl's
>>> name was pronounced: Y-vonn-eee, emphasis on the second syllable.
>>>
>>> N.

>> That is so sad
>> Talk about doing your kid a great disservice.. <sigh>
>>

>There was a temp girl working in an adjacent department whose name was
>Dejonay. All I could think of was sauce.
>
>Ethnicity aside, who the hell dreams up some of these idiotic and often
>unpronouceable names? And why?

they think it will somehow set the kids apart, and in a way it does.

'jeez, you sure got screwy parents.'

your pal,
alphonso

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:58:54 -0700, sf <.> wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 18:58:52 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>
>>There was a temp girl working in an adjacent department whose name was
>>Dejonay. All I could think of was sauce.

>There's a kid at school who is very pretty with long braids (the all
>over type), but a little on the stocky side. I heard Janelle when I
>first heard the name.... nope, it's Johnell - a boy. Sigh. I hate
>guessing games.

make 'em pull down their pants. it helps to break the ice.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:19:44 -0500, Becca >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>> There's a kid at school who is very pretty with long braids (the all
>> over type), but a little on the stocky side. I heard Janelle when I
>> first heard the name.... nope, it's Johnell - a boy. Sigh. I hate
>> guessing games.

>When I lived in Texas, both men and women played golf. Here in
>Louisiana, it is about 98% men.
>
>My husband and I argued yesterday, whether someone on the golf course
>was a man or a woman. He thought it was a *** man, because of the walk,
>but as they came closer to us, we could tell it was a woman.
>
>We like to pigeon hole other people. I do not care if they are
>male/female, ***/straight, but for some reason, we want to know.
>
>Becca

it's hard-wired into the brain to classify both things and people
alike. it has evolved slightly from 'can i eat this or will it eat
me?'

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:20:48 -0500, Becca >
wrote:

>The actress Christina Ricci grew up without watching television. She
>read books, and the first time she heard the word "chaos" in school, she
>thought they were mispronouncing it.
>
>Becca

i had that problem myself. i thought (reasonably enough, i felt) that
'grotesque' was pronounced 'grots-cue.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-04-23, blake murphy > wrote:

>>The actress Christina Ricci grew up without watching television. She
>>read books, and the first time she heard the word "chaos" in school, she
>>thought they were mispronouncing it.

> i had that problem myself. i thought (reasonably enough, i felt) that
> 'grotesque' was pronounced 'grots-cue.'

Hee hee.... BTDT! As a heavy reader, I too was guilty of such faux pas.
Chaos was chowss, voila was the fiddle mispelled, etc.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:45:17 -0500, Becca >
> wrote:
>
>>> Continental still feeds you. It is nothing exciting, but at least it is
>>> food. I am hoping they do not start charging $25 for a 2nd bag, like a
>>> couple of other airlines have started doing. I pack light, but when I
>>> travel for work, I may need a 2nd bag.
>>>
>>> Becca

>> Continental has joined Delta, Northwest, United and US Airways, in
>> charging $25 for a second checked bag. AirTran is charging $10.
>>
>> Becca

> when i read your first post, becca, for some reason i thought you
> meant a second bag of pretzels. whoa!
>
> your pal,
> blake

LOL

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:20:48 -0500, Becca >
> wrote:
>

>>The actress Christina Ricci grew up without watching television. She
>>read books, and the first time she heard the word "chaos" in school, she
>>thought they were mispronouncing it.
>>
>>Becca

> i had that problem myself. i thought (reasonably enough, i felt) that
> 'grotesque' was pronounced 'grots-cue.'
>
> your pal,
> blake

I can say "misled" OK but I still read it as "myzled".

Felice