jmcquown

Default Peanut Brittle

I see boxes and tins of this stuff being sold for $12 and I cringe. It is
so easy to make!

Peanut Brittle

1 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. light Karo syrup
1/4 c. water
1 c. raw spanish peanuts
2 Tbs. softened butter

Grease a cookie sheet with butter. In a heavy saucepan on medium heat,
bring the sugar, syrup and water to a boil. Stir until sugar dissolves.
Stir in raw peanuts. Set a candy thermometer in place. Stirring
frequently, cook until temperature reaches 300F. Remove from heat.
Immediately stir in butter and baking soda. Pour at once onto greased
cookie sheet. Spread with a fork into a long rectanglar shape. Let cool.
Break the brittle apart and snap into pieces. Store tightly covered.

Jill

Sharon Chilson

What are raw peanuts? Are they ones still in the shell, as opposed to
salted and in a can or jar?

jmcquown

Sharon Chilson wrote:
> What are raw peanuts? Are they ones still in the shell, as opposed to
> salted and in a can or jar?

They sell (here in the Southern U.S.) shelled raw Spanish peanuts. They
have red skins on them but are not in the shell. Not salted, not canned or
jarred. Not cooked. They come in 1 lb. bags.

Jill

TOM KAN PA

They are ones that haven't been roasted, either in the shell or out of the
shell.

DJS0302

>What are raw peanuts? Are they ones still in the shell, as opposed to
>salted and in a can or jar?

Unlike nuts such as pecans or walnuts, peanuts need to be cooked before you can
eat them. They're actually a member of the legume family which includes peas
and beans. So technically they're a pea that tastes like a nut. You could eat
them raw if you wanted to but trust me they don't taste very good. I use to be
able to find raw peanuts at the grocery store. Now I have to order them from a
company down in Georgia.
jmcquown

DJS0302 wrote:
>> What are raw peanuts? Are they ones still in the shell, as opposed to
>> salted and in a can or jar?

> Unlike nuts such as pecans or walnuts, peanuts need to be cooked
> before you can eat them. They're actually a member of the legume
> family which includes peas and beans. So technically they're a pea
> that tastes like a nut. You could eat them raw if you wanted to but
> trust me they don't taste very good. I use to be able to find raw
> peanuts at the grocery store. Now I have to order them from a
> company down in Georgia.

Not sure where you are, but apparently you aren't down here since you have
to order them from Georgia I'm in Tennessee and raw peanuts are easy to
find. I can just pick them up at the grocery store in a by-the-pound bin in
the shell or in bags in the shell, or shelled, in bags raw.

I make 'boiled green peanuts' by tossing a pound of raw peanuts in the shell
in a large stock pot with 2 cups of salt (rock salt works well for this);
simmer slowly about 5 hours, then drain and refrigerate. If you like
'spicy' boiled peanuts you can add some Tabasco or other seasonings to the
brine while they are simmering.

Jill

TOM KAN PA

<< I use to be able to find raw peanuts at the grocery store. Now I have to
order them from a company down in Georgia >>

____Reply Separator_____

I was told that you can use the ones that garden centers and feed stores sell
(to feed the squirrels).
There's nothing wrong with them, they're not approved by the food police.
I haven't used them.

jmcquown

TOM KAN PA wrote:
> << I use to be able to find raw peanuts at the grocery store. Now I
> have to order them from a company down in Georgia >>
>
> ____Reply Separator_____
>
> I was told that you can use the ones that garden centers and feed
> stores sell (to feed the squirrels).
> There's nothing wrong with them, they're not approved by the food
> police.
> I haven't used them.

They also aren't Spanish peanuts. I buy those garden center ones all the
time for the squirrels. But I wouldn't use them in peanut brittle

Jill

levelwave

jmcquown wrote:

> I make 'boiled green peanuts' by tossing a pound of raw peanuts in the shell
> in a large stock pot with 2 cups of salt (rock salt works well for this);
> simmer slowly about 5 hours, then drain and refrigerate. If you like
> 'spicy' boiled peanuts you can add some Tabasco or other seasonings to the
> brine while they are simmering.

My Grandfather *always* had a big pot of Boiled Peanuts on the stove
when the family came to visit... simple - salty - wonderful... I would
even eat the small ones with the soft shells (shell and all)... It's a
fond memory/tradition that I will try my best to uphold when I have my
own family...(if I don't kill my girlfriend first)...

~john!

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

levelwave

DJS0302 wrote:

> Unlike nuts such as pecans or walnuts, peanuts need to be cooked before you can
> eat them. They're actually a member of the legume family which includes peas
> and beans. So technically they're a pea that tastes like a nut. You could eat
> them raw if you wanted to but trust me they don't taste very good. I use to be
> able to find raw peanuts at the grocery store. Now I have to order them from a
> company down in Georgia.

I bet 'ya 100 bucks you can find Raw Peanuts right next to the bags of
shredded coconut in the "baking" section of your grocery store...

~john!

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

jmcquown

levelwave wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I make 'boiled green peanuts' by tossing a pound of raw peanuts in
>> the shell in a large stock pot with 2 cups of salt (rock salt works
>> well for this); simmer slowly about 5 hours, then drain and
>> refrigerate. If you like 'spicy' boiled peanuts you can add some
>> Tabasco or other seasonings to the brine while they are simmering.

> My Grandfather *always* had a big pot of Boiled Peanuts on the stove
> when the family came to visit... simple - salty - wonderful... I would
> even eat the small ones with the soft shells (shell and all)... It's a
> fond memory/tradition that I will try my best to uphold when I have my
> own family...(if I don't kill my girlfriend first)...
>
> ~john!

Aren't they wonderful? It's an acquired taste, to be sure. Hey, why wait
until you kill your g/f and acquire another one? Start a pot on the stove
today ;-)

Jill

Arri London

jmcquown wrote:

> I see boxes and tins of this stuff being sold for $12 and I cringe. It is
> so easy to make!
>
> Peanut Brittle
>
> 1 c. sugar
> 1/4 tsp. salt
> 1 tsp. baking soda
> 1/2 c. light Karo syrup
> 1/4 c. water
> 1 c. raw spanish peanuts
> 2 Tbs. softened butter
>
> Grease a cookie sheet with butter. In a heavy saucepan on medium heat,
> bring the sugar, syrup and water to a boil. Stir until sugar dissolves.
> Stir in raw peanuts. Set a candy thermometer in place. Stirring
> frequently, cook until temperature reaches 300F. Remove from heat.
> Immediately stir in butter and baking soda. Pour at once onto greased
> cookie sheet. Spread with a fork into a long rectanglar shape. Let cool.
> Break the brittle apart and snap into pieces. Store tightly covered.
>
> Jill

It can also be made with roasted peanuts, but add them after the sugar
mix reaches the hard crack stage. Stir for a minute to warm them up
before pouring out.
DJS0302

>Nonsense.
>
>I eat raw peanuts all the time with no ill-effects at all.
>
>Miche

I didn't say they made you sick. I said they didn't taste good. If you want
to go around eating raw beans, which by the way is what peanuts really are,
then be my guest.

Peanut Brittle jmcquown General Cooking 21 09-11-2007 04:29 PM
Peanut Brittle Anna Free Recipes (moderated) 0 11-12-2005 01:52 AM
Mom's Peanut Brittle Duckie ® Recipes 0 22-06-2005 01:32 AM
Peanut Brittle Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 27-11-2004 05:16 AM
Repost: How to Keep Peanut Brittle well.....brittle? shipwreck Baking 5 26-03-2004 02:21 AM