Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping PeterL- Australian Wines

I am sitting here alphabetizing your list while sipping on Penfolds Bin
389 Cabernet Shiraz, 2004. You referred to it as "poor man's Grange!"
but at $33.99 I dunno....? I'm curious as to how much you paid there?
It is a robust wine for sure. I like it so far.

My wine guy says you have expensive tastes. He said a few other things
too...but he's keeping an eye open for some of the bottles you suggest.
I shared your list with an Australian friend who enjoys wine also but
knows much more than I about it. I'm pretty clueless but interested in
learning more.

I also picked up a bottle of Jim Barry The Cover Drive, Cabernet
Sauvignon 2005 vintage for $17.99. I'll break into that another day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
>I am sitting here alphabetizing your list while sipping on Penfolds Bin 389
>Cabernet Shiraz, 2004. You referred to it as "poor man's Grange!" but at
>$33.99 I dunno....? I'm curious as to how much you paid there?
> It is a robust wine for sure. I like it so far.
>
> My wine guy says you have expensive tastes. He said a few other things
> too...but he's keeping an eye open for some of the bottles you suggest. I
> shared your list with an Australian friend who enjoys wine also but knows
> much more than I about it. I'm pretty clueless but interested in learning
> more.
>
> I also picked up a bottle of Jim Barry The Cover Drive, Cabernet Sauvignon
> 2005 vintage for $17.99. I'll break into that another day.

I was curious, after reading this post, so thought I'd check

they're sitting at about AUD$45 a bottle from online sellers here, about
US$42, so guess you might have got a good price <s>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MG wrote:

> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> I am sitting here alphabetizing your list while sipping on Penfolds Bin 389
>> Cabernet Shiraz, 2004. You referred to it as "poor man's Grange!" but at
>> $33.99 I dunno....? I'm curious as to how much you paid there?
>> It is a robust wine for sure. I like it so far.

<clipped>

> I was curious, after reading this post, so thought I'd check
>
> they're sitting at about AUD$45 a bottle from online sellers here, about
> US$42, so guess you might have got a good price <s>

Oh that is nice to hear! Thanks!
Some of the wines on Peter's list that were available to me at my
favorite wine store were upwards towards USD $75. That's a bit of a
splurge for me so I'll space those out amongst the lesser costly ones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
>I am sitting here alphabetizing your list while sipping on Penfolds Bin 389
>Cabernet Shiraz, 2004. You referred to it as "poor man's Grange!" but at
>$33.99 I dunno....? I'm curious as to how much you paid there?
> It is a robust wine for sure. I like it so far.
>
> My wine guy says you have expensive tastes. He said a few other things
> too...but he's keeping an eye open for some of the bottles you suggest. I
> shared your list with an Australian friend who enjoys wine also but knows
> much more than I about it. I'm pretty clueless but interested in learning
> more.
>
> I also picked up a bottle of Jim Barry The Cover Drive, Cabernet Sauvignon
> 2005 vintage for $17.99. I'll break into that another day.

Not a bad price £18 a bottle here in UK.
http://www.tesco.com/winestore/contr...itle=Australia

Sarah

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sarah wrote:

> Not a bad price £18 a bottle here in UK.
> http://www.tesco.com/winestore/contr...itle=Australia
> Sarah

I enjoyed the wine very much. I had 3 healthy glasses of it last night
and had to stop! Do pick some up and give it a try if you like strong
oaky reds?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
>> Sarah wrote:
>>
>>> Not a bad price £18 a bottle here in UK.
>>> http://www.tesco.com/winestore/contr...itle=Australia
>>> Sarah

>> I enjoyed the wine very much. I had 3 healthy glasses of it last night
>> and had to stop! Do pick some up and give it a try if you like strong
>> oaky reds?

> I absolutely ADORE strong oaky reds! I forget which one it is that you're
> recommending, though. I could do a Google search, but it might be easier
> for you to tell me.
>
> kili

The Penfolds Bin 389 2004 Cabernet Shiraz. I paid $33.99 for it. It will
be purchased again for sure! (perhaps I'll find a better price?)

Ping: PeterL Dave Bugg General Cooking 9 10-01-2007 05:44 AM
Ping PeterL & Bronwyn....Greetings from Straddie LadyJane General Cooking 2 18-12-2006 07:43 AM
Australian Wines [email protected] Wine 0 26-09-2006 04:00 AM
Ping PeterL...your beer fridge! LadyJane General Cooking 0 24-07-2006 12:11 AM
Red Mud Australian wines MikeD Wine 6 07-04-2005 04:09 AM