Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

Default Tesco - A Multicultural Problem

Tesco has been accused of unleashing an "unstoppable invasion" of the
high street by stepping up the pace at which it opens neighbourhood
stores.

The supermarket giant is due to launch 150 stores in the smaller
Express format over the next 12 months, compared with around 100
annually in recent years.

Campaigners claim the smaller format convenience stores destroy local
independent shops and cause congestion and noise in residential
areas.

Sandra Bell, supermarkets campaigner for Friends of the Earth, said:
"Tesco's seemingly unstoppable invasion of our high streets comes at
the expense of independent shops and leaves shoppers with little
choice of where to buy their groceries. While the commission's report,
due next month, is hoped to stop the worst of this retail giant's
bullying behaviour towards suppliers, it will do nothing to stop the
Tesco-isation of our towns."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...ion/article.do

Tesco, founded by son of Jewish sailor Jack Cohen, grandfather to heir
of the Tesco fortune Dame Shirly Porter. As an example of the utter
corruption and disregard for the rule of law in Britain of the Tesco
family, to avoid paying the £27,000,000 cost of the "homes for votes"
scandal she claimed she only had assets of £300,000 and fled to exile
in Israel for 12 years to avoid paying the costs, which had to be
picked up by hard pressed London taxpayers.

Tesco: A Multicultural Problem

In older England the merchant class had many easy-going traditions.
One tradition was that a respectable tradesman would never seek
business but wait for it to come to him. Another tradition was that to
decorate one's store window with lights or colors, or to display one's
stock of goods attractively in the view of the public, was a
contemptible and underhanded method of tempting a brother tradesman's
customers away from him. Still another tradition was that it was
strictly unethical and unbusinesslike to handle more than one line of
goods. If one sold tea, it was the best reason in the world why he
should not sell teaspoons. As for advertising, the thing would have
been so brazen and bold that public opinion would have put the
advertiser out of business. The proper demeanor for a merchant was to
seem reluctant to part with his goods.

One may readily imaging what happened when the Jewish merchant bustled
into the midst of this jungle of traditions. He simply broke them all.
In those days tradition had all the force of a divinely promulgated
moral law and in consequence of his initiative the Jew was regarded as
a great offender. A man who would break those trade traditions would
stop at nothing! The Jew was anxious to sell. If he could not sell one
article to a customer, he had another on hand to offer him. The Jews'
stores became bazaars, forerunners of our modern department stores,
and the old English custom of one store for one line of goods was
broken up. The Jew went after trade, pursued it, persuaded it. He was
the originator of "a quick turnover and small profits." He originated
the installment plan. The one state of affairs he could not endure was
business at a standstill, and to start it moving he would do anything.
He was the first advertiser — in a day when even to announce in public
prints the location of your store was to intimate to the public that
you were in financial difficulties, were about to go to the wall and
were trying the last desperate expedient to which no self-respecting
merchant would stoop.

It was as easy as child's play to connect this energy with dishonesty.
The Jew was not playing the game, at least so the staid English
merchant thought. As a matter of fact he was playing the game to get
it all in his own hands — which he has practically done.

The Jew in Character and Business by Henry Ford (of car fame)
http://reactor-core.org/international-jew.html

BNP will stem the Tesco tide
http://www.bnp.org.uk/freedom/05nov03.html

SUPERMARKET tyrant, Tesco, has just rung up record profits as it
continues to conquer our High Streets and shopping centres.

This year's first half pre-tax profits announced on September 20th
were up 18.7% to £908 million, whilst Tesco's share of the grocery
market is up to 30.5%.

Within five years that share is expected to reach 45%, then the
superstore giant will have enough monopoly power to hike prices and
squeeze shoppers who will no longer have an alternative source for
food or household goods.

Tesco is ruthlessly expanding and crushing its rivals. Its market
share is almost as big as its two main rivals, Asda and Sainsbury's
put together, and it shows no sign of stopping.

Tesco has amassed a 'land bank' of 185 sites across the country on
which to build new stores. 30 of these will be open by the end of this
year, and another 56 have planning permission. This 'land bank'
amounts to 4.5 million square feet of new supermarket space. Compare
that with the other supermarket chains, Asda, Sainsbury's and
Morrisons who only have 3.7 million square feet of planned store space
between them.

The superstore empire wants total domination of Britain's food supply
chain. They bid whatever it takes to buy up any potential store sites
that come on the market, simply to deny them to their rivals.

The company uses its ever-increasing financial muscle to beat down the
local opposition it is increasingly encountering as it takes over yet
another town. In the lovely Cotswold town of Stow-on-the-Wold, an
application to build a Tesco store had been turned down seven times
before the local planning officer urged councillors to approve the
proposal.

The alternative was to face the heavy costs of an appeal for which
each of the councillors could be personally liable. Naturally the
council caved in as they generally have been forced to do everywhere.
Tesco knows that in civil cases British justice is generally for sale
to the highest bidder - ordinary folk simply can't afford the immense
legal costs entailed.

Tesco, aided and abetted by lesser supermarket sharks like Asda,
Sainsbury's and Morrisons who between them control almost three
quarters of the British grocery market, use their monopoly buying
power to force farmers and other suppliers to sell at unsustainable
prices, driving many to ruin.

The uneconomic prices they force suppliers to accept then enables the
store chains to undercut traditional family shops, butchers, grocers
and fishmongers, and drive them out of business in town after town.

Having driven everyone else out of the market, the biggest store shark
is now devouring the lesser ones.

You would have thought a Labour Government would be defending ordinary
shoppers from this approaching big business monopoly exploitation, but
that's not the case. The Office of Fair Trading can only wring its
hands and do nothing while the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister
only pauses from its schemes to concrete over Southern England to
repeatedly back Tesco in planning battles with local residents and
their elected councillors.

Nothing now stands between Tesco and total control of your shopping
bag but the British National Party. We will stop them in their tracks,
break up the giant store chains and set free farmers and shoppers
alike from the tangling web of monopoly buying and selling power.

Only the BNP will encourage small shopkeepers to return to the high
street, to complement a responsible but limited supermarket sector led
by companies like Waitrose which is owned by its staff and management.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

> Tesco has been accused of unleashing an "unstoppable invasion" of the
> high street by stepping up the pace at which it opens neighbourhood
> stores.

[ ... ]

> Sandra Bell, supermarkets campaigner for Friends of the Earth, said:
> "Tesco's seemingly unstoppable invasion of our high streets comes at
> the expense of independent shops and leaves shoppers with little
> choice of where to buy their groceries. While the commission's report,
> due next month, is hoped to stop the worst of this retail giant's
> bullying behaviour towards suppliers, it will do nothing to stop the
> Tesco-isation of our towns."

I wonder if Ms Bell knows she is being quoted in BNP propaganda ? I
doubt she will be voting for them.
> http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-details/150+m...
>
> Tesco, founded by son of Jewish sailor Jack Cohen, grandfather to heir
> of the Tesco fortune Dame Shirly Porter. .

Tesco is a PLC. Anyone reading this is eligable to buy a stake.

Major shareholders are FMR Corporation & Fidelity Int (5.85%),
Barclays Bank (4.81%) and Legal and General (4.11%) - all PLCs also.

CEO is Sir Terence Leahy who is of Irish descent and worked his way up
through the company.

> This year's first half pre-tax profits announced on September 20th
> were up 18.7% to £908 million, whilst Tesco's share of the grocery
> market is up to 30.5%.

Heaven forbid that anyone should give the public what it wants.
Shopping at Tesco is not compulsory. In fact we seldom use the store
prefering eith of competitors Sainsburys and Morrisons.

> Within five years that share is expected to reach 45%, then the
> superstore giant will have enough monopoly power to hike prices and
> squeeze shoppers who will no longer have an alternative source for
> food or household goods.

Tesco is one of the "big 4" which include Sainsburys, Morrisons and
ASDA (owned by Wallmart which is even bigger than Tesco)

It doesn't even come close to being a monolpoly as has just been
reaffirmed in an enquiry carried out by the Competition Commission.

http://www.competition-commission.or...cery/index.htm

http://tinyurl.com/2j86c9

> Nothing now stands between Tesco and total control of your shopping
> bag but the British National Party.

That must be very reassuring to them!

Of course, according to your Fuhrer the Griffin the antisemitc stance
of the BNP is a thing of the past. Future vitriol is to be directed
towards Muslims.

You can't even get that right!

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

St Georges Day April 23rd wrote:

Ein goyisch kopf.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

St Georges Day April 23rd wrote:

<snip>

Wow! What a load of shit!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

"Mel Rowing" > wrote in message

<snip>

> This year's first half pre-tax profits announced on September 20th
> were up 18.7% to £908 million, whilst Tesco's share of the grocery
> market is up to 30.5%.

Heaven forbid that anyone should give the public what it wants.
Shopping at Tesco is not compulsory. In fact we seldom use the store
prefering eith of competitors Sainsburys and Morrisons.

<snippety snip snip>

Yes it is odd isn't it. I am no fan of Tesco and choose to shop elsewhere
where I can. Apparently there are people who do choose to shop there. What
happened to the Tesco on Mill Road. Has it collapsed yet due to an absence
of shoppers?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

Tesco's doing just fine. Small shopkeepers, f*** 'em.
The BNP goes off on these pandering tangents & should be encouraged to
stay with their no-brainer aims: no more wogs/illegals, or
wog/illegal -favoritism ...
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

On Apr 16, 4:17*pm, atruelove > wrote:

> Tesco's doing just fine. Small shopkeepers, f*** 'em.
> The BNP goes off on these pandering tangents & should be encouraged to
> stay with their no-brainer aims: *no more wogs/illegals, or
> wog/illegal -favoritism ...

and no supermarkets apparently!

I wonder where the idea comes from that supermarkets are generally
disliked when they are racking up bigger profits and volume turnovers.

Perhaps some are two young or have forgotten the hey day of the corner
shop.

By and large they were hovels that hadn't seen a lick of paint in
years, lit by bare light bulbs, sanitised by fly papers, restricted
opening hours rigourously applied. Prices were RRP set and there was
a level of civility that set you on edge. In fact, only a couple of
weeks or so ago I was treated in a most uncivil manner by the local
sub-postmaster for no better reason that I can think of other than he
was in a bad mood. They are the ones who are complaining about
closures! Oh well! that's another one they've lost. In future I'll buy
stamps in the supermarket. It's all the same to me!

Contrast all this with a visit to a supermarket. Clean, bright, well
lit, convenient hours, helpful staff, car parking and competitive
pricing.

Supermarkets have not reached their dominant trading positions through
"unstoppable invasions" They are the logical product of progressive
development in retail marketing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:59:33 -0700 (PDT), Mel Rowing
> wrote:

>On Apr 16, 4:17*pm, atruelove > wrote:
>
>> Tesco's doing just fine. Small shopkeepers, f*** 'em.
>> The BNP goes off on these pandering tangents & should be encouraged to
>> stay with their no-brainer aims: *no more wogs/illegals, or
>> wog/illegal -favoritism ...

>and no supermarkets apparently!
>
>I wonder where the idea comes from that supermarkets are generally
>disliked when they are racking up bigger profits and volume turnovers.
>
>Perhaps some are two young or have forgotten the hey day of the corner
>shop.
>
>By and large they were hovels that hadn't seen a lick of paint in
>years, lit by bare light bulbs, sanitised by fly papers, restricted
>opening hours rigourously applied. Prices were RRP set and there was
>a level of civility that set you on edge. In fact, only a couple of
>weeks or so ago I was treated in a most uncivil manner by the local
>sub-postmaster for no better reason that I can think of other than he
>was in a bad mood. They are the ones who are complaining about
>closures! Oh well! that's another one they've lost. In future I'll buy
>stamps in the supermarket. It's all the same to me!
>
>Contrast all this with a visit to a supermarket. Clean, bright, well
>lit, convenient hours, helpful staff, car parking and competitive
>pricing.
>
>Supermarkets have not reached their dominant trading positions through
>"unstoppable invasions" They are the logical product of progressive
>development in retail marketing.

And of course much needed by us, jo public. The small shops and local
farmers never did quite understand the concept of customer service,
treat the customer nice, fairly and with a passion and it will invite
customer loyalty. In fact you are quite right they seemed to go out of
their way to show customers contempt, so we now go elsewhere.

Well done Tesco.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc
Oz Oz is offline

Mel Rowing > writes
>Supermarkets have not reached their dominant trading positions through
>"unstoppable invasions" They are the logical product of progressive
>development in retail marketing.

Largely they have done it by being a local monopoly.

Mind you increasingly countrywide as against local as they
systematically ratchet up their prices.

--
Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:31:04 +0100, Oz >
wrote:

>Mel Rowing > writes
>>Supermarkets have not reached their dominant trading positions through
>>"unstoppable invasions" They are the logical product of progressive
>>development in retail marketing.

>Largely they have done it by being a local monopoly.
>
>Mind you increasingly countrywide as against local as they
>systematically ratchet up their prices.

Supply and demand. Ponces like you who farm nothing but contempt for
the public and then moan when we buy foreign need your heads examined.

You have a long, long, long way to go before Jo public will ever
support bullies like you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:05:53 +0100, Old Codger
> wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:59:33 -0700 (PDT), Mel Rowing
> wrote:
>
>>On Apr 16, 4:17*pm, atruelove > wrote:
>>
>>> Tesco's doing just fine. Small shopkeepers, f*** 'em.
>>> The BNP goes off on these pandering tangents & should be encouraged to
>>> stay with their no-brainer aims: *no more wogs/illegals, or
>>> wog/illegal -favoritism ...

>>and no supermarkets apparently!
>>
>>I wonder where the idea comes from that supermarkets are generally
>>disliked when they are racking up bigger profits and volume turnovers.
>>
>>Perhaps some are two young or have forgotten the hey day of the corner
>>shop.
>>
>>By and large they were hovels that hadn't seen a lick of paint in
>>years, lit by bare light bulbs, sanitised by fly papers, restricted
>>opening hours rigourously applied. Prices were RRP set and there was
>>a level of civility that set you on edge. In fact, only a couple of
>>weeks or so ago I was treated in a most uncivil manner by the local
>>sub-postmaster for no better reason that I can think of other than he
>>was in a bad mood. They are the ones who are complaining about
>>closures! Oh well! that's another one they've lost. In future I'll buy
>>stamps in the supermarket. It's all the same to me!
>>
>>Contrast all this with a visit to a supermarket. Clean, bright, well
>>lit, convenient hours, helpful staff, car parking and competitive
>>pricing.
>>
>>Supermarkets have not reached their dominant trading positions through
>>"unstoppable invasions" They are the logical product of progressive
>>development in retail marketing.

>And of course much needed by us, jo public. The small shops and local
>farmers never did quite understand the concept of customer service,
>treat the customer nice, fairly and with a passion and it will invite
>customer loyalty. In fact you are quite right they seemed to go out of
>their way to show customers contempt, so we now go elsewhere.
>
>Well done Tesco.

I don't shop at Tesco because they treat their customers like shit.
Same with Sainsburies
I may stop shopping at Asda and Morrisons for the same reason.

Leaves Aldi, Netto, Lidl, Somerfield and Iceland plus a couple of
indies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:29:49 +0100, >
wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:05:53 +0100, Old Codger
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:59:33 -0700 (PDT), Mel Rowing
> wrote:

>>>and no supermarkets apparently!
>>>
>>>I wonder where the idea comes from that supermarkets are generally
>>>disliked when they are racking up bigger profits and volume turnovers.
>>>
>>>Perhaps some are two young or have forgotten the hey day of the corner
>>>shop.
>>>
>>>By and large they were hovels that hadn't seen a lick of paint in
>>>years, lit by bare light bulbs, sanitised by fly papers, restricted
>>>opening hours rigourously applied. Prices were RRP set and there was
>>>a level of civility that set you on edge. In fact, only a couple of
>>>weeks or so ago I was treated in a most uncivil manner by the local
>>>sub-postmaster for no better reason that I can think of other than he
>>>was in a bad mood. They are the ones who are complaining about
>>>closures! Oh well! that's another one they've lost. In future I'll buy
>>>stamps in the supermarket. It's all the same to me!
>>>
>>>Contrast all this with a visit to a supermarket. Clean, bright, well
>>>lit, convenient hours, helpful staff, car parking and competitive
>>>pricing.
>>>
>>>Supermarkets have not reached their dominant trading positions through
>>>"unstoppable invasions" They are the logical product of progressive
>>>development in retail marketing.

>>And of course much needed by us, jo public. The small shops and local
>>farmers never did quite understand the concept of customer service,
>>treat the customer nice, fairly and with a passion and it will invite
>>customer loyalty. In fact you are quite right they seemed to go out of
>>their way to show customers contempt, so we now go elsewhere.
>>
>>Well done Tesco.
>>

>I don't shop at Tesco because they treat their customers like shit.
>Same with Sainsburies
>I may stop shopping at Asda and Morrisons for the same reason.

I agree in part, but that's part of being too big I guess. Even so
they still give us what we want at a decent price and they at least
pretend to like customers ;-)

>Leaves Aldi, Netto, Lidl, Somerfield and Iceland plus a couple of
>indies.

Anything but the miserable sod on the corner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:02:04 +0100, Old Codger
> wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:29:49 +0100, >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:05:53 +0100, Old Codger
> wrote:

>>>And of course much needed by us, jo public. The small shops and local
>>>farmers never did quite understand the concept of customer service,
>>>treat the customer nice, fairly and with a passion and it will invite
>>>customer loyalty. In fact you are quite right they seemed to go out of
>>>their way to show customers contempt, so we now go elsewhere.
>>>
>>>Well done Tesco.
>>>

>>I don't shop at Tesco because they treat their customers like shit.
>>Same with Sainsburies
>>I may stop shopping at Asda and Morrisons for the same reason.

>I agree in part, but that's part of being too big I guess. Even so
>they still give us what we want at a decent price and they at least
>pretend to like customers ;-)
>
>>Leaves Aldi, Netto, Lidl, Somerfield and Iceland plus a couple of
>>indies.

>Anything but the miserable sod on the corner.

They've all gone out of business
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

In message >, at 17:05:53 on
Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Old Codger > remarked:
> The small shops and local farmers never did quite understand the
>concept of customer service

I walked to my local shops this afternoon to buy a tool I needed for
some DIY. But I got there at 5.05pm, to discover they had closed five
minutes earlier. So in the car and off to B&Q <sigh>.
--
Roland Perry

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:18:41 +0100, Roland Perry >
wrote:

> In message >, at 17:05:53 on
> Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Old Codger > remarked:
>> The small shops and local farmers never did quite understand the
>> concept of customer service

> I walked to my local shops this afternoon to buy a tool I needed for
> some DIY. But I got there at 5.05pm, to discover they had closed five
> minutes earlier. So in the car and off to B&Q <sigh>.

Somehow Mackays is still a preferable experience :-) But it's suffering
from online competition.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

"Duncan Wood" > wrote in message
newsp.t9p4ez05pmo3dt@lucy...

> Somehow Mackays is still a preferable experience :-) But it's suffering
> from online competition.

However what you can do at Mackays and can't do online is take in a widget
and say "can you sell me a tool to undo this please".

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

Old Codger wrote:

None of this, nor the three other "Old Codger" posts made prior to this
one in this thread. Genuine Pete the troll forgeries.

> Supply and demand. Ponces like you who farm nothing but contempt for
> the public and then moan when we buy foreign need your heads examined.

As Pete never reads what he posts and desires only to provoke argument
it is safest to assume that anything he espouses is at least unsafe and
probably malicious.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

In message <op.t9p4ez05pmo3dt@lucy>, at 22:53:13 on Wed, 16 Apr 2008,
Duncan Wood > remarked:
>> I walked to my local shops this afternoon to buy a tool I needed for
>>some DIY. But I got there at 5.05pm, to discover they had closed five
>>minutes earlier. So in the car and off to B&Q <sigh>.

>Somehow Mackays is still a preferable experience :-) But it's suffering
>from online competition.

What time do they close in the afternoon?

I remember moving in the late 80's to a small town (perhaps the size of
Royston) that was an hour's commute from my work. The biggest surprise
was that every shop (except the Off licence) was closed by the time I
got home (and hadn't opened when I left in the morning, although
shopping wasn't really practical ay 7.30am). So shopping locally was
impossible (except at the weekend, but I used my Saturdays
house-hunting, so that wasn't very useful either).

So simple necessity meant I had to shop for almost everything in just
one out of town superstore (a big Sainsburys).
--
Roland Perry
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

"Roland Perry" > wrote in message
> In message >, at 17:05:53 on
> Wed, 16 Apr 2008, Old Codger > remarked:
>> The small shops and local farmers never did quite understand the concept
>> of customer service

> I walked to my local shops this afternoon to buy a tool I needed for some
> DIY. But I got there at 5.05pm, to discover they had closed five minutes
> earlier. So in the car and off to B&Q <sigh>.

Same here.

I needed a basic electrical part.

It's Wednesday, the traditional electrical shop with the guy in the brown
cotton dust coat was shut, half day closing, the independent tool shop
said 'We don't do them mate', the air-head blonde in the electric
light-fitting shop said 'A what?', down to B&Q, paid double what it was
worth, but at least they have it in stock and they're open...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 06:44:11 GMT, "Mike Lewis"
> wrote:

Not picking on you Mike.

Here's a message to whoever though this was a good idea to x-post to
rec.food.cooking: Topic Plonked.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

Tim Ward > wrote:

> However what you can do at Mackays and can't do online is take in a
> widget
> and say "can you sell me a tool to undo this please".

When I read that, the first thing I thought was, "How did he get it off to
be able to take it into Mackays?" <g>

--
-blj-
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:28:27 +0100, William Black wrote:
> It's Wednesday, the traditional electrical shop with the guy in the brown
> cotton dust coat was shut, half day closing, the independent tool shop
> said 'We don't do them mate', the air-head blonde in the electric
> light-fitting shop said 'A what?', down to B&Q, paid double what it was
> worth, but at least they have it in stock and they're open...

Surely it's sensible to pick up a phone beforehand and call these places?
Then you both find out who has what, and you get to find out the opening
times...

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

"Jules" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 23:28:27 +0100, William Black wrote:
>> It's Wednesday, the traditional electrical shop with the guy in the
>> brown
>> cotton dust coat was shut, half day closing, the independent tool shop
>> said 'We don't do them mate', the air-head blonde in the electric
>> light-fitting shop said 'A what?', down to B&Q, paid double what it was
>> worth, but at least they have it in stock and they're open...

> Surely it's sensible to pick up a phone beforehand and call these places?
> Then you both find out who has what, and you get to find out the opening
> times...

Why?

It's a perfectly normal piece of equipment that costs a couple of quid.

What makes you think I'll get to speak on the telephone to someone who
understands what I want and knows if it's in stock?

I don't expect shops to be shut on Wednesdays, and haven't done so since
about 1985.

I don't expect air-head shop assistants who gawp and say 'A what?' either.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

William Black wrote:

> I don't expect air-head shop assistants who gawp and say 'A what?' either.

That happens to me *far* more often in the chains... latest example in
Homebase yesterday:

"Do you have root-trainers (deep planting cells which encourage good
root growth) for growing peas or beans?".

"What are they for?"

(Sigh...) "They are for growing peas and beans which like a long root run"

"Never heard of them" (Peas and beans or root-trainers one wonders).

What got me was there was less than a quarter of an aisle for growing
stuff and no less than 5 aisles devoted to killing stuff (weedkillers,
pest control etc.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

In message >, at 19:54:08 on
Thu, 17 Apr 2008, magwitch > remarked:
>What got me was there was less than a quarter of an aisle for growing
>stuff and no less than 5 aisles devoted to killing stuff (weedkillers,
>pest control etc.)

Seems very close to my garden, many times more thing growing that I want
to stop, than things I was trying to encourage.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc
Oz Oz is offline

magwitch > writes

>What got me was there was less than a quarter of an aisle for growing stuff
>and no less than 5 aisles devoted to killing stuff (weedkillers, pest
>control etc.)

Absolutely typical of nature, as soon as you want to grow something 1001
other things (plants, invertebrates, mammals etc) want to get there
first.

So its hardly surprising that ...

NB In most stores its more like 3 killing to 2 growing, even more
surprising.

--
Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

Thus spake Oz >
>NB In most stores its more like 3 killing to 2 growing, even more
>surprising.

Is that the staff?

Regards

--
Charles Francis
moderator sci.physics.foundations.

http://www.teleconnection.info/rqg/MainIndex
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

"magwitch" > wrote in message
> That happens to me *far* more often in the chains... latest
> example in Homebase yesterday:

That reminds me, I overheard the following in Homebase a few days ago.

"Can you tell me where the white spirit is please?"

Blank look.

"For cleaning paint brushes."

Still a blank look.

Chris Forecast

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

Roland Perry wrote:
> In message >, at 19:54:08 on
> Thu, 17 Apr 2008, magwitch > remarked:
>> What got me was there was less than a quarter of an aisle for growing
>> stuff and no less than 5 aisles devoted to killing stuff (weedkillers,
>> pest control etc.)

> Seems very close to my garden, many times more thing growing that I want
> to stop, than things I was trying to encourage.

Seems like you've got a weeding w/e ahead of you... ;-) I'll use
glyphosate on bindweed in flowerbeds but I never use anything like that
on the veg garden. Glyphosate takes too long for my (im)patience level,
so it's a fork and trowel for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

Oz wrote:
> magwitch > writes
>> What got me was there was less than a quarter of an aisle for growing stuff
>> and no less than 5 aisles devoted to killing stuff (weedkillers, pest
>> control etc.)

> Absolutely typical of nature, as soon as you want to grow something 1001
> other things (plants, invertebrates, mammals etc) want to get there
> first.
>
> So its hardly surprising that ...

Well there are lots of things you can do to stop them instead of killing
them... enviromesh netting etc. — just hardly any of these are on sale
in Homebase (although they do plastic cloches but don't do the pins to
hold them down).

> NB In most stores its more like 3 killing to 2 growing, even more
> surprising.

I've just found this on the BBC:

Think I'll go into HB and ask for it... chain baiting is fun.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

"magwitch" > wrote in message
> William Black wrote:
>

>> I don't expect air-head shop assistants who gawp and say 'A what?'
>> either.
>>

> That happens to me *far* more often in the chains... latest example in
> Homebase yesterday:
>
> "Do you have root-trainers (deep planting cells which encourage good root
> growth) for growing peas or beans?".
>
> "What are they for?"
>
> (Sigh...) "They are for growing peas and beans which like a long root run"
>
> "Never heard of them" (Peas and beans or root-trainers one wonders).
>
> What got me was there was less than a quarter of an aisle for growing
> stuff and no less than 5 aisles devoted to killing stuff (weedkillers,
> pest control etc.)

You don't expect the droids in big shops to know stuff, but it is out there
on the shelf for you to find.

Traditional shops don't do that because they're scared their customers will
pinch stuff.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc
Oz Oz is offline

Oh No > writes
>Thus spake Oz >
>>NB In most stores its more like 3 killing to 2 growing, even more
>>surprising.
>>

>Is that the staff?

Hard to tell.

--
Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc
Oz Oz is offline

magwitch > writes
>Oz wrote:
>> magwitch > writes
>>> What got me was there was less than a quarter of an aisle for growing stuff
>>> and no less than 5 aisles devoted to killing stuff (weedkillers, pest
>>> control etc.)

>> Absolutely typical of nature, as soon as you want to grow something 1001
>> other things (plants, invertebrates, mammals etc) want to get there
>> first.
>>
>> So its hardly surprising that ...

>Well there are lots of things you can do to stop them instead of killing
>them... enviromesh netting etc. €” just hardly any of these are on sale
>in Homebase (although they do plastic cloches but don't do the pins to
>hold them down).

If they can't feed in your garden, then they die just the same.

--
Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc
Oz Oz is offline

William Black > writes

>Traditional shops don't do that because they're scared their customers will
>pinch stuff.

Like four candles ....

--
Oz

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

"Oz" > wrote in message
> William Black > writes
>
>>Traditional shops don't do that because they're scared their customers
>>will
>>pinch stuff.

> Like four candles ....

You've got it.

I live near that bloody shop...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

"Chris Forecast" > wrote in message

> That reminds me, I overheard the following in Homebase a few days ago.
>
> "Can you tell me where the white spirit is please?"
>
> Blank look.
>
> "For cleaning paint brushes."
>
> Still a blank look.

Try B&Q, they quite often do lots better than that.

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb
Cambridge City Councillor

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 19:54:08 +0100, magwitch > wrote:

> William Black wrote:
>
>> I don't expect air-head shop assistants who gawp and say 'A what?'
>> either.
>>

> That happens to me *far* more often in the chains... latest example in
> Homebase yesterday:
>
> "Do you have root-trainers (deep planting cells which encourage good
> root growth) for growing peas or beans?".
>
> "What are they for?"
>
> (Sigh...) "They are for growing peas and beans which like a long root
> run"
>
> "Never heard of them" (Peas and beans or root-trainers one wonders).
>
> What got me was there was less than a quarter of an aisle for growing
> stuff and no less than 5 aisles devoted to killing stuff (weedkillers,
> pest control etc.)

Well I've never heard them called that either. Thereagain I've never heard
of growing peas in pots either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

On Apr 16, 7:29*pm, > wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:05:53 +0100, Old Codger

> I don't shop at Tesco because they treat their customers like shit.
> Same with Sainsburies

Do they? I have shopped there for many many years and 99.9% of the
time I am served by friendly, helpful staff who seem to be enjoying
what they do.

Robert

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.business.agriculture,uk.politics.misc,cam.misc

In article >, Tim Ward
> scribeth thus
>"Duncan Wood" > wrote in message
>newsp.t9p4ez05pmo3dt@lucy...
>>
>> Somehow Mackays is still a preferable experience :-) But it's suffering
>> from online competition.

>However what you can do at Mackays and can't do online is take in a widget
>and say "can you sell me a tool to undo this please".

Isn't Mackays online anyway?. Judging from the comments on some DIY
newsgroups we're bl**dy lucky to have them here)..
--
Tony Sayer

UK only Tesco Fizz £9.50 JT Wine 0 14-05-2011 08:36 AM
Tesco just can't get a break Mark Thorson General Cooking 0 02-10-2009 07:01 PM
A tale of Tesco and Ice-Cream djimbo Diabetic 10 14-04-2009 10:43 AM
Tesco comes to the US Dimitri General Cooking 6 20-07-2007 05:09 PM
UK Tesco fizz bargain John Taverner Wine 0 28-11-2004 09:55 AM