Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Damsel's Italian Beef

I've got to go to work for 4 pm So as I go out the door I'm throwing this
on for 9 hrs on low. I've made this before and enjoyed it, but never made
it on low before. Plus I always mix and match spices. This time 4 cloves
garlic, some salt and pepper, some onion powder, some toasted minced
dried onion, some crushed red pepper, some penzeys Italian seasoning plus
I threw in 2 celery stalks. Used 1 can beef consumee for beef stock.

I usually eat this with a side of veggies and some of the broth/sauce in
a dipping bowl. But it does make for nice sandwich dipping possibilities.

If 9 hours works out wrong and the meat is too fall apart tender I'll
turn it into a beef stew by adding semi-cooked veggies, sliced onions and
thickening the broth.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Damsel's Italian Beef

Crockpot, tested

1 tablespoon olive oil
5 pounds round roast, trimmed; (bottom round)
7 cloves garlic; crushed
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 cups beef broth

Heat olive oil in skillet; brown the roast on all sides. Place roast in
large crockpot. Combine water and remaining ingredients; stir well.
Pour
over roast; cook on HIGH for 5 hours or until tender.

Remove roast from crockpot, cover, and refrigerate. Strain broth into a
storage container and refrigerate until ready to use.

Slice chilled meat very thinly and place into crockpot or large saucepan.
Pour strained broth over meat, and cook gently until heated through.

Serve meat slices with heated broth.
Optional: Provolone cheese; giardiniera or peperoncini.

*Notes July 24/06 made this using: 1 tsp celery seed, approx 10 cloves
garlic., redibase beef stock and 1 envelope powdered beef stock...added 1
tsp black pepper too. Replaced the garlic powder with 1 tsp onion powder.

Cuisine:
"Low Carb"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Contributor: Damsel in dis Dress

Yield: 12 servings

Preparation Time: 0:00

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for posting that recipe, I have used it to make sandwiches.

I was looking for her recipe for almond coconut macaroons and her
website is not working. Or I did something wrong.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca > wrote:

> I was looking for her recipe for almond coconut macaroons and her
> website is not working. Or I did something wrong.

Damsel took down her Web site years ago. The recipe she posted is easy
to find, though:
<http://groups.google.com/group/alt.support.diet.low-carb/msg/5440a84625c12075>.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Thanks for posting that recipe, I have used it to make sandwiches.
>
> I was looking for her recipe for almond coconut macaroons and her
> website is not working. Or I did something wrong.
>
> Becca

Damsel has a web site?!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:36:03 GMT, hahabogus > wrote:

>I've got to go to work for 4 pm So as I go out the door I'm throwing this
>on for 9 hrs on low. I've made this before and enjoyed it, but never made
>it on low before. Plus I always mix and match spices. This time 4 cloves
>garlic, some salt and pepper, some onion powder, some toasted minced
>dried onion, some crushed red pepper, some penzeys Italian seasoning plus
>I threw in 2 celery stalks. Used 1 can beef consumee for beef stock.
>
>I usually eat this with a side of veggies and some of the broth/sauce in
>a dipping bowl. But it does make for nice sandwich dipping possibilities.
>
>If 9 hours works out wrong and the meat is too fall apart tender I'll
>turn it into a beef stew by adding semi-cooked veggies, sliced onions and
>thickening the broth.

So how did it turn out? Even falling apart it should still make a
good sandwich. I make mine similar but closer to authentic chicago
style. I go 3-4 hours on high. Or 2/12 hours in a 250 degree oven.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>> Thanks for posting that recipe, I have used it to make sandwiches.
>>
>> I was looking for her recipe for almond coconut macaroons and her
>> website is not working. Or I did something wrong.
>>
>> Becca
>>

> Damsel has a web site?!
>
> Jill

She had one a long time ago. I guess I need to clean out my bookmarks.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> Becca > wrote:
>
>> I was looking for her recipe for almond coconut macaroons and her
>> website is not working. Or I did something wrong.

> Damsel took down her Web site years ago. The recipe she posted is easy
> to find, though:
> <http://groups.google.com/group/alt.support.diet.low-carb/msg/5440a84625c12075>.
>
> Victor

Thanks for posting this recipe. I made the macaroons, right after you
posted the recipe.

I bought the ingredients, then I could not find the recipe. lol Thanks.
We enjoyed them so much, I am going to make some more this afternoon.

Becca