Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Can Kraft Easy Cheese Be Packed In Checked Baggage?

My nephew is going on an exchange program in Taiwan and they want him
to bring
some uniquely American food. See's candy is one item, but my nephew
wants to take some of those spray cans of cheese. I can't figure out
if
it's acceptable under TSA rules for checked luggage. It's non-
flammable,
but the TSA has aerosol's listed under "flammable items." Do they
mean
that flammable aerosols are prohibited, or did they just put it under
"flammable items" without thinking of pressurized food.

Technically EasyCheese is not an aerosol can, there is a piston
inside
the can, and it's pressurized with nitrogen from the bottom (an
aerosol
product has the propellant mixed with the contents), but I don't
think
explaining that would be too productive. Any help would be
appreciated!

More info:

"http://www.nabiscoworld.com/easy-cheese/"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 8, 1:08*pm, Flying Higher > wrote:
> My nephew is going on an exchange program in Taiwan and they want him
> to bring
> some uniquely American food. See's candy is one item, but my nephew
> wants to take some of those spray cans of cheese. I can't figure out
> if
> it's acceptable under TSA rules for checked luggage. It's non-
> flammable,
> but the TSA has aerosol's listed under "flammable items." Do they
> mean
> that flammable aerosols are prohibited, or did they just put it under
> "flammable items" without thinking of pressurized food.
>
> Technically EasyCheese is not an aerosol can, there is a piston
> inside
> the can, and it's pressurized with nitrogen from the bottom (an
> aerosol
> product has the propellant mixed with the contents), but I don't
> think
> explaining that would be too productive. *Any help would be
> appreciated!
>
> More info:
>
> "http://www.nabiscoworld.com/easy-cheese/"

Maybe just stick with Cheeze-n-crackers, jello, and Krispy Kremes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 8, 1:08*pm, Flying Higher > wrote:
> My nephew is going on an exchange program in Taiwan and they want him
> to bring
> some uniquely American food. See's candy is one item, but my nephew
> wants to take some of those spray cans of cheese. I can't figure out
> if
> it's acceptable under TSA rules for checked luggage. It's non-
> flammable,
> but the TSA has aerosol's listed under "flammable items." Do they
> mean
> that flammable aerosols are prohibited, or did they just put it under
> "flammable items" without thinking of pressurized food.
>
> Technically EasyCheese is not an aerosol can, there is a piston
> inside
> the can, and it's pressurized with nitrogen from the bottom (an
> aerosol
> product has the propellant mixed with the contents), but I don't
> think
> explaining that would be too productive. *Any help would be
> appreciated!
>
> More info:
>
> "http://www.nabiscoworld.com/easy-cheese/"

Sorry- that would not be up to the TSA- call the airline.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" wrote
:
> My nephew is going on an exchange program in Taiwan and they want him
> to bring
> some uniquely American food. See's candy is one item, but my nephew
> wants to take some of those spray cans of cheese. I can't figure out
> if
> it's acceptable under TSA rules for checked luggage. It's non-

>Sorry- that would not be up to the TSA- call the airline.

Yup! They'd know. BTW, cheese crackers as a sub wont work. They have that
there too.

Uniquely American to :them:. Kraft Mac and Cheese boxes, hamburger helper,
New England clam chowder (get Snows if possible), pork rind 'chips' served
with tobasco or *yellow* mustard. Bread and butter pickles (specifically
that type), Longhorn cheese (not too much, they are apt to be somewhat
lactose intolerant), peanut butter. Obviously not all of those but thats
some ideas they will find intriguing. Not haute cuisine, but very american
<grin>.

The canned cheese if you can get it through the airport will be a unique hit
I bet!

Been to Thailand many times. He'll love it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 8, 3:08 pm, Flying Higher > wrote:
> My nephew is going on an exchange program in Taiwan and they want him
> to bring
> some uniquely American food. See's candy is one item, but my nephew

If the airline forbids anything he wants to take along, have him ship
the carton earlier, so it's there on its own. No airline hassle.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 8, 1:51*pm, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "merryb" wrote
> :
>
> > My nephew is going on an exchange program in Taiwan and they want him
> > to bring
> > some uniquely American food. See's candy is one item, but my nephew
> > wants to take some of those spray cans of cheese. I can't figure out
> > if
> > it's acceptable under TSA rules for checked luggage. It's non-
> >Sorry- that would not be up to the TSA- call the airline.

> Yup! *They'd know. *BTW, cheese crackers as a sub wont work. *They have that
> there too.
>
> Uniquely American to :them:. *Kraft Mac and Cheese boxes, hamburger helper,
> New England clam chowder (get Snows if possible), pork rind 'chips' served
> with tobasco or *yellow* mustard. *Bread and butter pickles (specifically
> that type), Longhorn cheese (not too much, they are apt to be somewhat
> lactose intolerant), peanut butter. *Obviously not all of those but thats
> some ideas they will find intriguing. *Not haute cuisine, but very american
> <grin>.
>
> The canned cheese if you can get it through the airport will be a unique hit
> I bet!
>
> Been to Thailand many times. *He'll love it!

Funny! We had a relative visit from Italy- he wanted donuts, jello and
pancake mix to take home with him. When I came from there, I brought
back tartaric acid, olive oil, wine, & chocolate!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Flying Higher wrote:
> My nephew is going on an exchange program in Taiwan and they want him
> to bring
> some uniquely American food. See's candy is one item, but my nephew
> wants to take some of those spray cans of cheese. I can't figure out
> if
> it's acceptable under TSA rules for checked luggage. It's non-
> flammable,
> but the TSA has aerosol's listed under "flammable items." Do they
> mean
> that flammable aerosols are prohibited, or did they just put it under
> "flammable items" without thinking of pressurized food.

You can take EasyCheese in checked luggage, but not in a carry on
(weighs over 3 oz). I have taken it a couple of times on diving trips.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Flying Higher wrote:

> My nephew is going on an exchange program in Taiwan and they want him
> to bring
> some uniquely American food. See's candy is one item, but my nephew
> wants to take some of those spray cans of cheese. I can't figure out
> if
> it's acceptable under TSA rules for checked luggage. It's non-
> flammable,
> but the TSA has aerosol's listed under "flammable items." Do they
> mean
> that flammable aerosols are prohibited, or did they just put it under
> "flammable items" without thinking of pressurized food.

Tell him to bring a block of Velveeta. If the Taiwanese don't decide
it's a toxic material, the airlines won't mind. It may taste a little
nasty but it isn't normally explosive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 18:14:56 -0600, Arri London >
wrote:

>Tell him to bring a block of Velveeta

They will confiscate it....same consistancy of plastic explosives.
Ship that kind of "novelity" via FedEx air freight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Flying Higher wrote:

> My nephew is going on an exchange program in Taiwan and they want him
> to bring
> some uniquely American food. See's candy is one item, but my nephew
> wants to take some of those spray cans of cheese. I can't figure out
> if
> it's acceptable under TSA rules for checked luggage. It's non-
> flammable,
> but the TSA has aerosol's listed under "flammable items." Do they
> mean
> that <SNIP>.....legal boundaries scissored!

It'd be much better if you checked with the proper governmental agencies
instead of relying on word-of-mouth from folks on RFC or any other
newsgroup! What you ask is akin to getting legal advice by people who
are not attorneys! If I were in the same boat, I'd contact the local
librarian to ask which governmental agencies to inquire. Just my
$0.02-worth.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> Flying Higher wrote:
>>
>> My nephew is going on an exchange program in Taiwan and they want him
>> to bring
>> some uniquely American food. See's candy is one item, but my nephew
>> wants to take some of those spray cans of cheese. I can't figure out
>> if
>> it's acceptable under TSA rules for checked luggage. It's non-
>> flammable,
>> but the TSA has aerosol's listed under "flammable items." Do they
>> mean

> It'd be much better if you checked with the proper governmental
> agencies instead of relying on word-of-mouth from folks on RFC or any
> other newsgroup! What you ask is akin to getting legal advice by
> people who are not attorneys! If I were in the same boat, I'd
> contact the local librarian to ask which governmental agencies to
> inquire. Just my $0.02-worth.
>
> Sky

Exactly. The airline will know what they'll accept and what they won't.
They may well still search the checked baggage when it goes through x-ray if
they can't identify what something is, but I doubt seriously they'd
confiscate canned cheese. OTOH, customs at the other end might seize it.
<shrugs>

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Sky wrote:
> > Flying Higher wrote:
> >>
> >> My nephew is going on an exchange program in Taiwan and they want him
> >> to bring
> >> some uniquely American food. See's candy is one item, but my nephew
> >> wants to take some of those spray cans of cheese. I can't figure out
> >> if
> >> it's acceptable under TSA rules for checked luggage. It's non-
> >> flammable,
> >> but the TSA has aerosol's listed under "flammable items." Do they
> >> mean

> > It'd be much better if you checked with the proper governmental
> > agencies instead of relying on word-of-mouth from folks on RFC or any
> > other newsgroup! What you ask is akin to getting legal advice by
> > people who are not attorneys! If I were in the same boat, I'd
> > contact the local librarian to ask which governmental agencies to
> > inquire. Just my $0.02-worth.
> >
> > Sky
> >

> Exactly. The airline will know what they'll accept and what they won't.
> They may well still search the checked baggage when it goes through x-ray if
> they can't identify what something is, but I doubt seriously they'd
> confiscate canned cheese. OTOH, customs at the other end might seize it.
> <shrugs>
>
> Jill

They will if they have any sense at all LOL!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Billy wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 18:14:56 -0600, Arri London >
> wrote:
>
> >Tell him to bring a block of Velveeta

> They will confiscate it....same consistancy of plastic explosives.
> Ship that kind of "novelity" via FedEx air freight.

LOL you could be right. He could bring Reese's peanut butter cups but
then that's the same texture problem isn't it
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Flying Higher > wrote:

> My nephew is going on an exchange program in Taiwan and they want him
> to bring
> some uniquely American food. See's candy is one item, but my nephew
> wants to take some of those spray cans of cheese. I can't figure out
> if
> it's acceptable under TSA rules for checked luggage. It's non-
> flammable,
> but the TSA has aerosol's listed under "flammable items." Do they
> mean
> that flammable aerosols are prohibited, or did they just put it under
> "flammable items" without thinking of pressurized food.

Take a brick of Velveeta instead.

But I can certainly see the Taiwaneese loving the novelty of
spray-cheese. They'd eat that shit up just on principle if not
taste.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Flying Higher > wrote:
> > My nephew is going on an exchange program in Taiwan and they want him
> > to bring
> > some uniquely American food. See's candy is one item, but my nephew
> > wants to take some of those spray cans of cheese. I can't figure out
> > if
> > it's acceptable under TSA rules for checked luggage. It's non-
> > flammable,
> > but the TSA has aerosol's listed under "flammable items." Do they
> > mean
> > that flammable aerosols are prohibited, or did they just put it under
> > "flammable items" without thinking of pressurized food.

> Take a brick of Velveeta instead.
>
> But I can certainly see the Taiwaneese loving the novelty of
> spray-cheese. *They'd eat that shit up just on principle if not
> taste.

Jeez, Steve, this was a pretty obvious troll and y'all are taking it
somewhat "seriously"...

I kyped the original message from rec.travel.air, check out the
discussion thread there...

Myself, I'd stick with the See's candy...

;=D

--
Best
Greg