jmcquown

Default New/different Crab Cake Ideas?

I've got a craving for crab cakes. I normally use a recipe I got out of an
old cookbook my Mom has. It's good, and it goes like this:

3 c. crab meat
1/3 c. breadcrumbs
2 Tbs. mayonnaise
2 tsp. finely chopped parsley
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 egg
3 Tbs. butter*

In a large bowl, shred the crab meat (if lump). Mix in remaining
ingredients except butter. Divide into 8 cakes. In a large skillet over
medium heat, melt butter until hot. Fry cakes in butter (*I usually use a
mixture of a little butter and canola oil), flattening gently with a spatula
as they are added, until golden brown; turn once and brown the other side.
Serves 4 (2 cakes each)

Note: I've only got canned crab meat. Don't slam me for living inland

Variations I've tried:
Adding Old Bay Seasoning.
Adding minced onion, celery & bell pepper.

All that is good and I have those ingredients.

For some reason today, the idea of adding finely chopped water chestnuts
popped into my head. ??? I don't know where that came from.

I also thought of perhaps patting the prepared crab cakes lightly with some
Zatarain's seasoned Fish-Fri prior to pan frying. Says it is good for soft
crabs; I don't have any soft-shell crab but crab cakes are pretty "soft"

Any other suggestions to make crab cakes a bit more... I don't know...
different? (Please, no salsa or hot pepper suggestions!)

Thanks,
Jill

Nancy Young

jmcquown wrote:

> I've got a craving for crab cakes. I normally use a recipe I got out of an
> old cookbook my Mom has. It's good, and it goes like this:

Hey, your timing is impecible! And I can't even spell that! I have
an expensive can in the refrigerator and crab cakes are on my mind.

Now help me get on IRC so I can annoy you all.

nancy
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I've got a craving for crab cakes. I normally use a recipe I got
>> out of an old cookbook my Mom has. It's good, and it goes like this:

> Hey, your timing is impecible! And I can't even spell that! I have
> an expensive can in the refrigerator and crab cakes are on my mind.
>
> Now help me get on IRC so I can annoy you all.
>
> nancy

I can't find the email I sent you last time. The IRC server is
irc8.penguinpowered.ca Port 6667

Jill

levelwave

jmcquown wrote:

> For some reason today, the idea of adding finely chopped water chestnuts
> popped into my head. ??? I don't know where that came from.

Water Chesnuts are always what I "eat around" when I'm munching on
Chinese Take-Out... It's something about the texture that just bugs
me...hmm...

~john!

--
What was it like to see - the face of your own stability - suddenly look
away...

jmcquown

levelwave wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> For some reason today, the idea of adding finely chopped water
>> chestnuts popped into my head. ??? I don't know where that came
>> from.

> Water Chesnuts are always what I "eat around" when I'm munching on
> Chinese Take-Out... It's something about the texture that just bugs
> me...hmm...
>
> ~john!

I love them. I love bamboo shoots, too. But not bean sprouts, which remind
me of worms for some reason

Jill