Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default CSA, Community Supported Agriculture/Victory Garden

It seems as though I remember others on this list who do CSA?
After being on a waiting list for 2-3 years ... They finally have space and
our family has finally signed up. I can't wait!
If you have belonged to a CSA, has your CSA experience been positive?
I'm looking forward to all of the fresh fruits and veggies. I'm sure that
I'll be asking cooking/storage questions later as I'm not familiar with all
of the veggies that are available.
Joining the CSA has inspired me to plant an urban Victory garden ...
peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, herbs. We don't have a lot of space/money so
we are going to have to do the best we can with the amount of money that we
have to spend (isn't that what a victory garden is in the first place?) .
We may be able to put in one raised bed ... everything else will be potted.
Anyway ... if you had limited space and a limited budget what 3 things would
you plant in a victory garden?
Spring is finally here
I'm just looking for thoughts and ideas.
Thanks!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Woolstitcher" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> It seems as though I remember others on this list who do CSA?
> After being on a waiting list for 2-3 years ... They finally have space
> and our family has finally signed up. I can't wait!
> If you have belonged to a CSA, has your CSA experience been positive?
> I'm looking forward to all of the fresh fruits and veggies. I'm sure that
> I'll be asking cooking/storage questions later as I'm not familiar with
> all of the veggies that are available.
> Joining the CSA has inspired me to plant an urban Victory garden ...
> peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, herbs. We don't have a lot of space/money
> so we are going to have to do the best we can with the amount of money
> that we have to spend (isn't that what a victory garden is in the first
> place?) . We may be able to put in one raised bed ... everything else will
> be potted.
> Anyway ... if you had limited space and a limited budget what 3 things
> would you plant in a victory garden?
> Spring is finally here
> I'm just looking for thoughts and ideas.
> Thanks!!

I have had exactly those circumstances plus a shortage of time. What paid
off for me was tomatoes, herbs and leaf lettuces.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Woolstitcher wrote:
> It seems as though I remember others on this list who do CSA?
> After being on a waiting list for 2-3 years ... They finally have space and
> our family has finally signed up. I can't wait!
> If you have belonged to a CSA, has your CSA experience been positive?

We *love* ours.

> I'm looking forward to all of the fresh fruits and veggies. I'm sure that
> I'll be asking cooking/storage questions later as I'm not familiar with all
> of the veggies that are available.

Does your CSA have a website? Many of them will show you lists of
what they've given out in the past.

> Joining the CSA has inspired me to plant an urban Victory garden ...
> peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, herbs. We don't have a lot of space/money so
> we are going to have to do the best we can with the amount of money that we
> have to spend (isn't that what a victory garden is in the first place?) .
> We may be able to put in one raised bed ... everything else will be potted.
> Anyway ... if you had limited space and a limited budget what 3 things would
> you plant in a victory garden?

Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes. :-)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Woolstitcher wrote:

> Anyway ... if you had limited space and a limited budget what 3 things would
> you plant in a victory garden?

It may be useful, when asking this question, to ask where people are
roughly. It makes a differece as to what grows well. I'm in New England.

If it were only me, I'd plant green beans, arugula, and celery root.
That's after having inconsistent luck with zucchini, peppers, potatoes,
squashes, strawberries and others. Since Jim as a say in this too, he'd
say tomatoes, basil, and peas. We always plant tomatoes and mesclun
lettuce. For everything else, we compromise and switch from year to year.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Woolstitcher" > wrote in
:

> Anyway ... if you had limited space and a
> limited budget what 3 things would you plant in a victory
> garden?

NOT zuchinni!!!!
tomatoes, obviously (even though you'll probably get them in
the CSA box)
cucumbers if you like pickles. trellis them, less space &
easier to find before they get too big.
peppers.
potatoes (in 5 gallon buckets). the kids might like AllRed &
AllBlue. Yellow Fingerling makes great creamed new potatoes.
beans. i prefer pole beans to bush & you can make a bean
teepee. plant green, yellow wax & purple podded (Renee's
Garden sells a packet with all 3. make sure you get the pole
beans)
that's 4... want me to keep going?
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Serene Sprat wrote:

> Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes. :-)

Last year we had the medium produce box plus an extra tomato share.
TOO MANY tomatoes, and I wasn't ready to start canning -- that was our
newlywed summer! ;-) This summer I am growing a few plants myself (I
was on my way out the door to pick them up till I saw this post).
Shopping for the right pressure canner as well. Suggestions on that
are always welcome.

Because we have access to so many farmer's markets, and the people
that we got our CSA from vend at our favorite, we are foregoing it
this year. While it's just like Christmas each time you pick the box
up (and Bob had scaled down from previous years) we still had a lot of
waste, and other things we got too much of (and weren't that crazy
about) on a very repetitive basis. Coincidentally, the owners of our
CSA called me about thirty minutes ago to confirm whether we are
joining or not and I had to tell her no, but I did reiterate that I go
to the market they are at every week and I have been buying from them
all along -- just the things we want and need though! I will miss some
of the exotic melons we were getting and I hope that I will find them
at the markets.

--Lin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:
> Serene Sprat wrote:
>
>> Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes. :-)

> Last year we had the medium produce box plus an extra tomato share.
> TOO MANY tomatoes,

I just have never had too many tomatoes. Ever. :-)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Woolstitcher wrote:
> It seems as though I remember others on this list who do CSA?
> After being on a waiting list for 2-3 years ... They finally have space and
> our family has finally signed up. I can't wait!
> If you have belonged to a CSA, has your CSA experience been positive?
> I'm looking forward to all of the fresh fruits and veggies. I'm sure that
> I'll be asking cooking/storage questions later as I'm not familiar with all
> of the veggies that are available.
> Joining the CSA has inspired me to plant an urban Victory garden ...
> peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, herbs. We don't have a lot of space/money so
> we are going to have to do the best we can with the amount of money that we
> have to spend (isn't that what a victory garden is in the first place?) .
> We may be able to put in one raised bed ... everything else will be potted.
> Anyway ... if you had limited space and a limited budget what 3 things would
> you plant in a victory garden?
> Spring is finally here
> I'm just looking for thoughts and ideas.
> Thanks!!

I don't know what your climate is like, but we usually plant:

flowers--zinnias and snapdragons for colorful bouquets on
the table
tomatoes--early season red and yellow plum tomatoes
squash--golden zucchini and butternut

Our growing season is too short for peppers and too hot and dry
for many leafy crops which go to seed too quickly.

We grow herbs in whiskey barrel halves, mostly basil, cilantro,
marjoram, Italian and curly leaf parsley. I just noticed my
tarragon is coming up again quite profusely. We also have a
couple
of rhubarb plants growing among some irises in the back yard.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Woolstitcher" > wrote in message
> It seems as though I remember others on this list who do CSA?
> After being on a waiting list for 2-3 years ... They finally have space
> and our family has finally signed up. I can't wait!
> If you have belonged to a CSA, has your CSA experience been positive?
> I'm looking forward to all of the fresh fruits and veggies. I'm sure that
> I'll be asking cooking/storage questions later as I'm not familiar with
> all of the veggies that are available.
> Joining the CSA has inspired me to plant an urban Victory garden ...
> peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, herbs. We don't have a lot of space/money
> so we are going to have to do the best we can with the amount of money
> that we have to spend (isn't that what a victory garden is in the first
> place?) . We may be able to put in one raised bed ... everything else will
> be potted.
> Anyway ... if you had limited space and a limited budget what 3 things
> would you plant in a victory garden?

Our choices before have been tomatoes, hot peppers and onions. With a larger
garden space now we have more variety this year. I also found a nice
container to put together an herb garden. I hate paying so very much for
fresh herbs at the grocery or even at the farmer's market so I am looking
very forward to having those right at hand.

Cindi

> Spring is finally here
> I'm just looking for thoughts and ideas.
> Thanks!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Apr 6, 12:47*pm, "Woolstitcher" > wrote:

> Anyway ... if you had limited space and a limited budget what 3 things would
> you plant in a victory garden?

Not knowing your climate, I'll assume it's spring. Not knowing how
big a limited space is, I'll assume 4 feet x 4 feet. (Why not, I've
got to assume something?) Though the budget is limited I'll assume
the soil is okay without vast additions of compost, and the payoff is
going to be productive for whatever money is spent on seeds or plants.

Put a trellis or netting or series of poles up along one side (north
or east if you're in the northern hemisphere) of the plot. Plant
Kentucky Wonder pole beans along that side to grow vertically. That'll
cost you less than $2US for the seeds and you won't use them all. KWs
are delicious and very productive. Once they mature you'll want to
pick them small because you won't be able to keep up with them.

Find a nursery that sells heirloom tomatoes and plant one of them.
That'll cost you about $4US. Brandywine is our favorite but there
are others said to be as delicious. Consult the nursery people, saying
all you care about is taste, ignore other factors. Plant this in the
southwest corner of your plot. Fill the rest of the space, not
forgetting that the tomato plant will get quite large, with basil.
That's three, inexpensive, in a small plot, and you'll love the
results. -aem