Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping: Nanners recipe sdvise required

Does this look ok? Would YOU eat it? I think I might. You're the short
rib expert.

Short Ribs with Mushrooms and Red Wine Sauce
By The Canadian Living Test Kitchen
Tested Till Perfect

Mushrooms add earthy flavour to this slow-cooked dish. Dried shiitakes
are a good substitute for the porcini.

1 pkg (14 g) dried porcini mushrooms
3 lb (1.5 kg) beef simmering short ribs
1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
2 cups (500 mL) button mushrooms
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 carrots, diced
1 tbsp (15 mL) crumbled dried rosemary
3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
3/4 cup (175 mL) red wine
(or beef stock and 1 tbsp/15 mL wine vinegar)

2 tbsp (25 mL) tomato paste
1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
2 tbsp (25 mL) balsamic or wine vinegar
2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley

Preparation:

In 1-cup (250 mL) measuring cup, pour boiling water over dried porcini
mushrooms; let stand for 20 minutes. Strain, reserving liquid. Set
mushrooms and liquid aside.

Cut ribs into 2-bone pieces. Broil, turning once, until well browned,
about 5 minutes. Place in slow cooker.

In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté porcini and
button mushrooms, onions, garlic, carrots, rosemary, salt and pepper
until softened, 5 minutes. Scrape into slow cooker. Add tomatoes.

Whisk together reserved soaking liquid, wine and tomato paste; pour into
slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or until meat is
tender. Skim off fat.

In small bowl, whisk together flour, vinegar and 1/3 cup (75 mL) water;
whisk into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until
thickened. Stir in parsley.

Additional Information

*

Variations
Small Batch Short Ribs with Mushrooms and Red Wine Sauce:
Use 10-cup (2.5 L) slow cooker. Halve recipe; cook for 6 to 7
hours. Makes 2 to 4 servings.

Stove-Top Short Ribs with Mushrooms and Red Wine Sauce: Follow
recipe as directed except use Dutch oven instead of slow cooker; cover
and simmer over medium-low heat until ribs are tender, about 2 hours.
Skim off fat.

Reduce flour to 2 tbsp (25 mL) and water to 1/4 cup (50 mL),
simmering until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Nanners recipe sdvise required

"hahabogus" > wrote

> Does this look ok? Would YOU eat it? I think I might. You're the short
> rib expert.

Heh, well, it looks great to me. I'd make this myself, if it was
colder weather. I've never made short ribs in a slow cooker.

nancy

> Short Ribs with Mushrooms and Red Wine Sauce
> By The Canadian Living Test Kitchen
> Tested Till Perfect
>
> Mushrooms add earthy flavour to this slow-cooked dish. Dried shiitakes
> are a good substitute for the porcini.
>
> 1 pkg (14 g) dried porcini mushrooms
> 3 lb (1.5 kg) beef simmering short ribs
> 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
> 2 cups (500 mL) button mushrooms
> 2 onions, chopped
> 3 cloves garlic, minced
> 2 carrots, diced
> 1 tbsp (15 mL) crumbled dried rosemary
> 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
> 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
> 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
> 3/4 cup (175 mL) red wine
> (or beef stock and 1 tbsp/15 mL wine vinegar)
>
> 2 tbsp (25 mL) tomato paste
> 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
> 2 tbsp (25 mL) balsamic or wine vinegar
> 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
>
> Preparation:
>
> In 1-cup (250 mL) measuring cup, pour boiling water over dried porcini
> mushrooms; let stand for 20 minutes. Strain, reserving liquid. Set
> mushrooms and liquid aside.
>
> Cut ribs into 2-bone pieces. Broil, turning once, until well browned,
> about 5 minutes. Place in slow cooker.
>
> In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté porcini and
> button mushrooms, onions, garlic, carrots, rosemary, salt and pepper
> until softened, 5 minutes. Scrape into slow cooker. Add tomatoes.
>
> Whisk together reserved soaking liquid, wine and tomato paste; pour into
> slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or until meat is
> tender. Skim off fat.
>
> In small bowl, whisk together flour, vinegar and 1/3 cup (75 mL) water;
> whisk into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until
> thickened. Stir in parsley.
>
> Additional Information
>
> *
>
> Variations
> Small Batch Short Ribs with Mushrooms and Red Wine Sauce:
> Use 10-cup (2.5 L) slow cooker. Halve recipe; cook for 6 to 7
> hours. Makes 2 to 4 servings.
>
> Stove-Top Short Ribs with Mushrooms and Red Wine Sauce: Follow
> recipe as directed except use Dutch oven instead of slow cooker; cover
> and simmer over medium-low heat until ribs are tender, about 2 hours.
> Skim off fat.
>
> Reduce flour to 2 tbsp (25 mL) and water to 1/4 cup (50 mL),
> simmering until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley.
>
> --
>
> The house of the burning beet-Alan
>
> A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
> asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Apr, 05:02, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "hahabogus" > wrote
>
> > Does this look ok? Would YOU eat it? I think I might. You're the short
> > rib expert.

> Heh, well, it looks great to me. I'd make this myself, if it was
> colder weather. I've never made short ribs in a slow cooker.
>
> nancy
>
> > Short Ribs with Mushrooms and Red Wine Sauce
> > By The Canadian Living Test Kitchen
> > Tested Till Perfect

> > Mushrooms add earthy flavour to this slow-cooked dish. Dried shiitakes
> > are a good substitute for the porcini.

> > 1 pkg (14 g) dried porcini mushrooms
> > 3 lb (1.5 kg) beef simmering short ribs
> > 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
> > 2 cups (500 mL) button mushrooms
> > 2 onions, chopped
> > 3 cloves garlic, minced
> > 2 carrots, diced
> > 1 tbsp (15 mL) crumbled dried rosemary
> > 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
> > 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
> > 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) diced tomatoes
> > 3/4 cup (175 mL) red wine
> > (or beef stock and 1 tbsp/15 mL wine vinegar)

> > 2 tbsp (25 mL) tomato paste
> > 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
> > 2 tbsp (25 mL) balsamic or wine vinegar
> > 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley

> > Preparation:

> > In 1-cup (250 mL) measuring cup, pour boiling water over dried porcini
> > mushrooms; let stand for 20 minutes. Strain, reserving liquid. Set
> > mushrooms and liquid aside.

> > Cut ribs into 2-bone pieces. Broil, turning once, until well browned,
> > about 5 minutes. Place in slow cooker.

> > In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté porcini and
> > button mushrooms, onions, garlic, carrots, rosemary, salt and pepper
> > until softened, 5 minutes. Scrape into slow cooker. Add tomatoes.

> > Whisk together reserved soaking liquid, wine and tomato paste; pour into
> > slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or until meat is
> > tender. Skim off fat.

> > In small bowl, whisk together flour, vinegar and 1/3 cup (75 mL) water;
> > whisk into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until
> > thickened. Stir in parsley.

> > Additional Information

> > *

> > Variations
> > Small Batch Short Ribs with Mushrooms and Red Wine Sauce:
> > Use 10-cup (2.5 L) slow cooker. Halve recipe; cook for 6 to 7
> > hours. Makes 2 to 4 servings.

> > Stove-Top Short Ribs with Mushrooms and Red Wine Sauce: Follow
> > recipe as directed except use Dutch oven instead of slow cooker; cover
> > and simmer over medium-low heat until ribs are tender, about 2 hours.
> > Skim off fat.

> > Reduce flour to 2 tbsp (25 mL) and water to 1/4 cup (50 mL),
> > simmering until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley.

> > --

> > The house of the burning beet-Alan

> > A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
> > asked for his balance.

hello,would you mind i'm join in your group?i'm vita,i'm come from in
indonesia. i live at bondowoso city,east java.