Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Reheating frozen pizza?

When I try to heat up frozen pizza that was made in the home or from the
pizza parlor it just doesn't work. It's sometimes too dry, sometimes
overdone, or the crust falls apart depending on the method used. How do you
all reheat pizza that you've frozen?

Thanks in advance,

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" wrote:
> When I try to heat up frozen pizza that was made in the home or from the
> pizza parlor it just doesn't work. It's sometimes too dry, sometimes
> overdone, or the crust falls apart depending on the method used. How do you
> all reheat pizza that you've frozen?

Huh?!?!? No normal person freezes left over pizza, that's illegal.
Left over pizza must eaten for breakfast the next day, cold right out
of the fridge, never reheated... same as left over Chinese food. I've
never heard of anyone freezing left over take out... you're not right
in the head, Kent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote:

>"Kent" wrote:

>> When I try to heat up frozen pizza that was made in the home or from the
>> pizza parlor it just doesn't work. It's sometimes too dry, sometimes
>> overdone, or the crust falls apart depending on the method used. How do you
>> all reheat pizza that you've frozen?

>Huh?!?!? No normal person freezes left over pizza, that's illegal.
>Left over pizza must eaten for breakfast the next day, cold right out
>of the fridge, never reheated... same as left over Chinese food. I've
>never heard of anyone freezing left over take out... you're not right
>in the head, Kent.

Can't disagree, but suppose one ordered a boatload of pizza for
a party and overestimated. Can't take it to the food bank...
unsealed food, so freezing it is an approach.

Freezing a fraction of a pizza you didn't finish, that would
be silly.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in
:

> When I try to heat up frozen pizza that was made in the home or from
> the pizza parlor it just doesn't work. It's sometimes too dry,
> sometimes overdone, or the crust falls apart depending on the method
> used. How do you all reheat pizza that you've frozen?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Kent

Anytime you freeze something that's been made and then go to defrost and
re-heat, it's never going to be the same.

If it's good pizza, defrost as usual, and place on a tray in the oven
just so's it'll heat through. No high temps, otherwise you'll end up
with a piece of wood.

Or, nuke it....... I stick it in a plastic bag if I'm doing this. The
crust will be a bit 'limp', but the toppings don't dry out.

Mind you, I rarely freeze leftover pizza.

It's usually eaten cold the next day for Breakfast, with a can of Pepsi
Max :-)

The Breakfast of Champions ;-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing.

Edmund Burke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope said...

> Sheldon > wrote:
>
>>"Kent" wrote:

>>> When I try to heat up frozen pizza that was made in the home or from
>>> the pizza parlor it just doesn't work. It's sometimes too dry,
>>> sometimes overdone, or the crust falls apart depending on the method
>>> used. How do you all reheat pizza that you've frozen?

>>Huh?!?!? No normal person freezes left over pizza, that's illegal.
>>Left over pizza must eaten for breakfast the next day, cold right out
>>of the fridge, never reheated... same as left over Chinese food. I've
>>never heard of anyone freezing left over take out... you're not right
>>in the head, Kent.

> Can't disagree, but suppose one ordered a boatload of pizza for
> a party and overestimated. Can't take it to the food bank...
> unsealed food, so freezing it is an approach.
>
> Freezing a fraction of a pizza you didn't finish, that would
> be silly.
>
> Steve

It's not without precedence to leave pizzas or pans of garlic/clam
spaghetti out on the counter overnight, only to resume dining at breakfast!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterL" > wrote in message

> If it's good pizza, defrost as usual, and place on a tray in the oven
> just so's it'll heat through. No high temps, otherwise you'll end up
> with a piece of wood.

I find a toaster oven works very well for that job.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Steve Pope said...
>
>> Sheldon > wrote:

>>>Huh?!?!? No normal person freezes left over pizza, that's illegal.
>>>Left over pizza must eaten for breakfast the next day, cold right out
>>>of the fridge, never reheated... same as left over Chinese food. I've
>>>never heard of anyone freezing left over take out... you're not right
>>>in the head, Kent.

>> Can't disagree, but suppose one ordered a boatload of pizza for
>> a party and overestimated. Can't take it to the food bank...
>> unsealed food, so freezing it is an approach.
>>
>> Freezing a fraction of a pizza you didn't finish, that would
>> be silly.
>>
>> Steve

> It's not without precedence to leave pizzas or pans of garlic/clam
> spaghetti out on the counter overnight, only to resume dining at
> breakfast!
>
> Andy

My good friend, who owns a pizza shop, recommends this!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I would put it out on the counter to thaw out and reach room
temperature, then broil it for 1-2 minutes to get the cheese melted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

deja.blues said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...

>> It's not without precedence to leave pizzas or pans of garlic/clam
>> spaghetti out on the counter overnight, only to resume dining at
>> breakfast!
>>
>> Andy

> My good friend, who owns a pizza shop, recommends this!

I must dine there some day!!!

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> deja.blues said...
>

>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...

>>> It's not without precedence to leave pizzas or pans of garlic/clam
>>> spaghetti out on the counter overnight, only to resume dining at
>>> breakfast!
>>>
>>> Andy

>> My good friend, who owns a pizza shop, recommends this!

> I must dine there some day!!!
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

Longhitanos in Southampton. Super good food!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> When I try to heat up frozen pizza that was made in the home or from the
> pizza parlor it just doesn't work. It's sometimes too dry, sometimes
> overdone, or the crust falls apart depending on the method used. How do you
> all reheat pizza that you've frozen?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Kent

I just put a slice or two on a microwave safe plate, then I nuke the
pizza on my microwave oven's medium setting for two or three minutes or
until the cheese is hot and bubbly. Works fine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz said...

> In article >,
> "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> When I try to heat up frozen pizza that was made in the home or from
>> the pizza parlor it just doesn't work. It's sometimes too dry,
>> sometimes overdone, or the crust falls apart depending on the method
>> used. How do you all reheat pizza that you've frozen?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Kent

> I just put a slice or two on a microwave safe plate, then I nuke the
> pizza on my microwave oven's medium setting for two or three minutes or
> until the cheese is hot and bubbly. Works fine.

Oven/toaster oven re-awaken leftover pizza if you must have it hot. Nuking
just removes the moisture and renders it hard-chewy.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Stan Horwitz said...

>>> I just put a slice or two on a microwave safe plate, then I nuke the
>>> pizza on my microwave oven's medium setting for two or three minutes
>>> or until the cheese is hot and bubbly. Works fine.

>> Oven/toaster oven re-awaken leftover pizza if you must have it hot.
>> Nuking just removes the moisture and renders it hard-chewy.
>>
>> Andy

> I use the toaster oven when I have to reheat pizza that wasn't good to
> begin with. It helps. If it's a good pizza, then I like it cold for
> breakfast.
>
> kili

kili

How are there any pizza leftovers with TFM® around?

Or leftovers at all (recalling the biggest bologna sandwich of all time)!

???

Andy
Not hungry all of a sudden
Posted to rec.food.cooking
LMW LMW is offline

Use a Baking Stone....anything that's been fried or pizza, etc. crisps right
back up when you re-heat it on a baking stone.

"Kent" > wrote in message
. ..
> When I try to heat up frozen pizza that was made in the home or from the
> pizza parlor it just doesn't work. It's sometimes too dry, sometimes
> overdone, or the crust falls apart depending on the method used. How do
> you all reheat pizza that you've frozen?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote:

> ROFL - I'll post a pic of the bologna sandwich grimace. �I don't think he
> can eat bologna since and that was a few years ago.
>
> http://i32.tinypic.com/4se6hh.jpghtt...com/oqha1w.jpg
>
> You can see the look of disgust on his face in the second picture. �

Disgust is putting it mildly... you need new glasses... I've seen much
more pleasant looking, cleaner skid row bowery bums And he sure
doesn't look like anyone I ever saw who works construction, that's an
outright lie... that creature never did any roofing, with those puny
flaccid arms I doubt he has the strength to wipe his own ass... in
fact he probably hasn't in a very long time. How do you tolerate
*it*, you must have the lowest self esteem on the planet. It doesn't
work, it doesn't bathe, it hogs what few resources there are all to
itself... any normal woman would have been long gone, LOOONG gone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 18:19:24 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>When I try to heat up frozen pizza that was made in the home or from the
>pizza parlor it just doesn't work. It's sometimes too dry, sometimes
>overdone, or the crust falls apart depending on the method used. How do you
>all reheat pizza that you've frozen?

Thaw in refrigerator COVERED.....then reheat in cast iron skillet or
flat griddle. That is the only method to "recover" the crust
back to an eatable condition. Forgot your microwave...that will only
make it tough. Putting under a broiler only burns the already cooked
top and leaves you with a soggy crust.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> Brawny wrote:
>> On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 18:19:24 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:
>>
>>> When I try to heat up frozen pizza that was made in the home or from
>>> the pizza parlor it just doesn't work. It's sometimes too dry,
>>> sometimes overdone, or the crust falls apart depending on the method
>>> used. How do you all reheat pizza that you've frozen?

>> Thaw in refrigerator COVERED.....then reheat in cast iron skillet or
>> flat griddle. That is the only method to "recover" the crust
>> back to an eatable condition. Forgot your microwave...that will only
>> make it tough. Putting under a broiler only burns the already cooked
>> top and leaves you with a soggy crust.

> I've heard somebody else mention the cast iron skillet idea before. I'm
> going to have to try that sometime. Thanks!
>
> kili

I've used a non-stick skillet with a cover. The bottom gets crispy and
the toppings warm/melt without losing moisture.
Mickey
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Apr 6, 5:19*am, Andy <q> wrote:
> Stan Horwitz said...
>
> > In article >,
> > *"Kent" > wrote:

> >> When I try to heat up frozen pizza that was made in the home or from
> >> the pizza parlor it just doesn't work. It's sometimes too dry,
> >> sometimes overdone, or the crust falls apart depending on the method
> >> used. How do you all reheat pizza that you've frozen?

> >> Thanks in advance,

> >> Kent

> > I just put a slice or two on a microwave safe plate, then I nuke the
> > pizza on my microwave oven's medium setting for two or three minutes or
> > until the cheese is hot and bubbly. Works fine.

> Oven/toaster oven re-awaken leftover pizza if you must have it hot. Nuking
> just removes the moisture and renders it hard-chewy.

I agree that the toaster oven is better than the microwave, but better
than both is to heat a nonstick pan on medium heat and heat the
slice(s) that way, dry, no oil. Best combination of speed and not
spoiling the crust. Not that I disagree with eating it cold for
breakfast.... -aem
.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 06 Apr 2008 07:19:07a, kilikini told us...

> Andy wrote:
>> kilikini said...

>>> I use the toaster oven when I have to reheat pizza that wasn't good
>>> to begin with. It helps. If it's a good pizza, then I like it cold
>>> for breakfast.
>>>
>>> kili

>> kili
>>
>> How are there any pizza leftovers with TFM® around?
>>
>> Or leftovers at all (recalling the biggest bologna sandwich of all
>> time)!
>>
>> ???
>>
>> Andy
>> Not hungry all of a sudden

> ROFL - I'll post a pic of the bologna sandwich grimace. I don't think
> he can eat bologna since and that was a few years ago.
>
> http://i32.tinypic.com/4se6hh.jpg
> http://i32.tinypic.com/oqha1w.jpg
>
> You can see the look of disgust on his face in the second picture. LOL.

I never did like bologna and still don't. We never had it in the house
when I was growing up. That sandwich only reinforces my disgust for it!
:-)

> TFM® doesn't eat much pizza; that's a *me* thing, so I luck out, there.
> If and when he does eat pizza, he wants the Supreme - lots of veggies
> with sausage and pepperoni. I'm more of a veggie girl. Fresh spinach
> leaves, fresh garlic, fresh tomato slices, black olives, onion,
> mushrooms, even pineapple sometimes. Heck, I'll even take a plain
> cheese pizza, just leave off the meat, please. :~)

I love pizza, but I don't like it overladen with anything, one or two items
at the most. I like a very crisp crust, and the more toppings there are,
especially those with moisture, only serve to make for a sodden crust no
matter what you do to prevent it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"LMW" > wrote in message
> Use a Baking Stone....anything that's been fried or pizza, etc. crisps
> right back up when you re-heat it on a baking stone.

Heating it on the stone does what you say, but the topping doesn't get
properly reheated. If you wait for the latter, the bottom is too crisp,
like a cracker.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mickey Zalusky" > wrote in message
> kilikini wrote:
>> Brawny wrote:

>>> Thaw in refrigerator COVERED.....then reheat in cast iron skillet or
>>> flat griddle. That is the only method to "recover" the crust
>>> back to an eatable condition. Forgot your microwave...that will only
>>> make it tough. Putting under a broiler only burns the already cooked
>>> top and leaves you with a soggy crust.

>> I've heard somebody else mention the cast iron skillet idea before. I'm
>> going to have to try that sometime. Thanks!
>>
>> kili

> I've used a non-stick skillet with a cover. The bottom gets crispy and
> the toppings warm/melt without losing moisture.
> Mickey

That's a good idea. I'm going to try it. You obviously couldn't do it with
frozen leftover pizza. You'd have to thaw first.
Thanks! That makes this whole thread worth it.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
>> kilikini said...

>>> I use the toaster oven when I have to reheat pizza that wasn't good
>>> to begin with. It helps. If it's a good pizza, then I like it cold
>>> for breakfast.
>>>
>>> kili

>> kili
>>
>> How are there any pizza leftovers with TFM® around?
>>
>> Or leftovers at all (recalling the biggest bologna sandwich of all
>> time)!
>>
>> ???
>>
>> Andy
>> Not hungry all of a sudden

> ROFL - I'll post a pic of the bologna sandwich grimace. I don't think he
> can eat bologna since and that was a few years ago.
>
> http://i32.tinypic.com/4se6hh.jpg
> http://i32.tinypic.com/oqha1w.jpg
>
> You can see the look of disgust on his face in the second picture. LOL.
>
> TFM® doesn't eat much pizza; that's a *me* thing, so I luck out, there.
> If and when he does eat pizza, he wants the Supreme - lots of veggies with
> sausage and pepperoni. I'm more of a veggie girl. Fresh spinach leaves,
> fresh garlic, fresh tomato slices, black olives, onion, mushrooms, even
> pineapple sometimes. Heck, I'll even take a plain cheese pizza, just
> leave off the meat, please. :~)
>
> kili

FoodTV with Emeril Lagasse is on the tube!

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 2:30�pm, "kilikini" > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > "kilikini" wrote:

> >> ROFL - I'll post a pic of the bologna sandwich grimace. ?I don't
> >> think he can eat bologna since and that was a few years ago.

> >>http://i32.tinypic.com/4se6hh.jpghtt...com/oqha1w.jpg

> >> You can see the look of disgust on his face in the second picture. ?

> > Disgust is putting it mildly... you need new glasses... I've seen much
> > more pleasant looking, cleaner skid row bowery bums �And he sure
> > doesn't look like anyone I ever saw who works construction, that's an
> > outright lie... that creature never did any roofing, with those puny
> > flaccid arms I doubt he has the strength to wipe his own ass... in
> > fact he probably hasn't in a very long time. �How do you tolerate
> > *it*, you must have the lowest self esteem on the planet. �It doesn't
> > work, it doesn't bathe, it hogs what few resources there are all to
> > itself... any normal woman would have been long gone, LOOONG gone.

> Well, thanks, Sheldon. �I appreciate the sentiment.

You're welcome, kili. I'm glad you realize that I care about you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent > wrote:
> When I try to heat up frozen pizza that was made in the home or from the
> pizza parlor it just doesn't work. It's sometimes too dry, sometimes
> overdone, or the crust falls apart depending on the method used. How do you
> all reheat pizza that you've frozen?

I've never frozen leftover pizza, the thought never occurred to me,
but if I were to try it I think sealing the pizza well (like with
a foodsaver or similar vacuum sealing system) before
freezing and then thawing in the refrigerator would help prevent
drying out. Maybe add a shallow bowl of water in the oven while
re-heating, if the well sealed bit doesn't do the trick. These
are tricks that work with frozen pastries.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 14:30:44 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Sheldon wrote:
>> "kilikini" wrote:
>>>
>>> ROFL - I'll post a pic of the bologna sandwich grimace. ?I don't
>>> think he can eat bologna since and that was a few years ago.
>>>
>>> http://i32.tinypic.com/4se6hh.jpghtt...com/oqha1w.jpg
>>>
>>> You can see the look of disgust on his face in the second picture. ?

>> Disgust is putting it mildly... you need new glasses... I've seen much
>> more pleasant looking, cleaner skid row bowery bums And he sure
>> doesn't look like anyone I ever saw who works construction, that's an
>> outright lie... that creature never did any roofing, with those puny
>> flaccid arms I doubt he has the strength to wipe his own ass... in
>> fact he probably hasn't in a very long time. How do you tolerate
>> *it*, you must have the lowest self esteem on the planet. It doesn't
>> work, it doesn't bathe, it hogs what few resources there are all to
>> itself... any normal woman would have been long gone, LOOONG gone.

>Well, thanks, Sheldon. I appreciate the sentiment.
>
>kili

....as opposed to sheldon, a god-like figure of uncommon handsomeness
in human form.

your pal,
blake