FoodBanter.com

-   -   REC: Time to start on the Christmas Cake (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/152931-rec-time-start-christmas.html)

PeterLucas[_4_] 04-04-2008 02:55 AM

REC: Time to start on the Christmas Cake

My recently widowed BIL is coming up to stay for awhile at the end of
the month, and his SO was the Christmas Cake maker in the family.
Somewhat of a tradition, it was. Even when living in England, she used
to make a huge cake and send it to the family here in Oz in time for the
family Christmas get-together.

I made a cake for us last Chritmas (the first one without a K1 cake),
and my SO (who doesn't like fruit cake, but loved this one!!) has passed
on the Family Christmas Cake Maker honour from her older sister, to me.
She told me that K1 would have been proud of my cake.

So............... this year I'm going to make them well in advance, and
let them 'mature' in the cupboard till Christmas time. I'll give the BIL
one to take back home to share with his kids and friends down south.

Peters Christmas Cake.

500g (1 lb) butter
500g (1 lb) Brown Sugar (the darker the better)
2 level tablespoons Mixed Spice
2 level dessertspoons Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
12 eggs
500g (1 lb) Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
Grated rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon
1kg (2 lb) Seeded Raisins
500g (1 lb) Sultanas
500g (1 lb) Currants
225g (1/2 lb) Mixed Peel
225g (1/2 lb) Cherries (I used Glace' cherries)
225g (1/2 lb) Almonds
4 tablespoons Wine or Brandy
1&1/2 cups combined red wine and brandy extra

Cream butter sugar and spices together, add egg yolks and beat well.
Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites alternatively with sifted flour and
baking powder. Add grated rind and fruit and nuts. (Chop the cherries up
and whizz the almonds (if whole) in a food processor). Lastly, add all
the booze and mix.

Grease and line your biggest cake tin with baking paper (mine's a 9"
square and as you saw from the pics, still wasn't big enough!!).

http://tinyurl.com/2o77tk

Bake approx 5 hours at 120C (250F) and then 2 hours at 100C (200F)

Note: With the egg whites, I put them and the flour in the mix in 3
batches. The egg whites won't properly 'assimilate' by themselves so
rather than spend too long trying to make them mix in, throw some flour
in with them.
And with the extra 1&1/2 cups of booze, mix them together in whatever
quantities you want, and even add more if you wish... it'll just make
the cake moister :-)

My mix was predominately brandy with about 1/2 cup red wine...... it was
*good* red wine, and I wanted to save it for drinking!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing.

Edmund Burke.

Puester 04-04-2008 03:07 AM

PeterLucas wrote:
> My recently widowed BIL is coming up to stay for awhile at the end of
> the month, and his SO was the Christmas Cake maker in the family.
> Somewhat of a tradition, it was. Even when living in England, she used
> to make a huge cake and send it to the family here in Oz in time for the
> family Christmas get-together.
>
> I made a cake for us last Chritmas (the first one without a K1 cake),
> and my SO (who doesn't like fruit cake, but loved this one!!) has passed
> on the Family Christmas Cake Maker honour from her older sister, to me.
> She told me that K1 would have been proud of my cake.
>

> So............... this year I'm going to make them well in advance, and
> let them 'mature' in the cupboard till Christmas time. I'll give the BIL
> one to take back home to share with his kids and friends down south.
>

> Peters Christmas Cake.

That sounds like something my husband would like. (He's one
of the
few Yanks I know who likes fruitcake.)

Question: What is mixed spice? Mixed spice in the U.S. is
pickling spices,
like bayleaf, various aromatic seeds (mustard, celery),
dried peppers, etc.
not something I'd expect to find in fruitcake. I thought
maybe cinnamon and
nutmeg, but I see those listed separately.

Any ideas?

It's very thoughtful of you to take on your SIL's tradition.

gloria p

PeterLucas[_4_] 04-04-2008 03:49 AM

REC: Time to start on the Christmas Cake

Puester > wrote in
:

> PeterLucas wrote:
>> My recently widowed BIL is coming up to stay for awhile at the end of
>> the month, and his SO was the Christmas Cake maker in the family.
>> Somewhat of a tradition, it was. Even when living in England, she
>> used to make a huge cake and send it to the family here in Oz in time
>> for the family Christmas get-together.
>>
>> I made a cake for us last Chritmas (the first one without a K1 cake),
>> and my SO (who doesn't like fruit cake, but loved this one!!) has
>> passed on the Family Christmas Cake Maker honour from her older
>> sister, to me. She told me that K1 would have been proud of my cake.
>>

>> So............... this year I'm going to make them well in advance,
>> and let them 'mature' in the cupboard till Christmas time. I'll give
>> the BIL one to take back home to share with his kids and friends down
>> south.
>>

>> Peters Christmas Cake.

> That sounds like something my husband would like. (He's one
> of the
> few Yanks I know who likes fruitcake.)

If he likes fruitcake, he'll *love* this one :-)

Is that true? Most Yanks don't like fruitcake?
I take it you're not a Yank?

> Question: What is mixed spice? Mixed spice in the U.S. is
> pickling spices,
> like bayleaf, various aromatic seeds (mustard, celery),
> dried peppers, etc.
> not something I'd expect to find in fruitcake. I thought
> maybe cinnamon and
> nutmeg, but I see those listed separately.
>
> Any ideas?

Had a quick look......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_spice

http://womansday.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=177043

http://www.mccormick.com.au/productdetail.cfm?ID=5104

http://www.gourmetshopper.com.au/sho...?productid=224

http://www.masterfoods.com.au/produc...528&ProdCat=17

Seems they all have different versions.
And it seems you can't get it in the States for love, nor money.

I can always drop some in the mail :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.

PeterLucas[_4_] 04-04-2008 04:41 AM

Arri London > wrote in :

> Pumpkin pie spices with a little tweaking would work. Cinnamon,
> nutmeg, cloves, coriander, ginger, allspice etc. Anything you'd make
> 'spice cake' with would also do.

Looking thru the McCormicks site, I can't believe they still have blends
that contain MSG!!

http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?id=6001

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 04-04-2008 05:03 AM

REC: Time to start on the Christmas Cake

On Thu 03 Apr 2008 07:07:40p, Puester told us...

> PeterLucas wrote:
>> My recently widowed BIL is coming up to stay for awhile at the end of
>> the month, and his SO was the Christmas Cake maker in the family.
>> Somewhat of a tradition, it was. Even when living in England, she used
>> to make a huge cake and send it to the family here in Oz in time for the
>> family Christmas get-together.
>>
>> I made a cake for us last Chritmas (the first one without a K1 cake),
>> and my SO (who doesn't like fruit cake, but loved this one!!) has passed
>> on the Family Christmas Cake Maker honour from her older sister, to me.
>> She told me that K1 would have been proud of my cake.
>>

>> So............... this year I'm going to make them well in advance, and
>> let them 'mature' in the cupboard till Christmas time. I'll give the BIL
>> one to take back home to share with his kids and friends down south.
>>

>> Peters Christmas Cake.

> That sounds like something my husband would like. (He's one
> of the
> few Yanks I know who likes fruitcake.)
>
> Question: What is mixed spice? Mixed spice in the U.S. is
> pickling spices,
> like bayleaf, various aromatic seeds (mustard, celery),
> dried peppers, etc.
> not something I'd expect to find in fruitcake. I thought
> maybe cinnamon and
> nutmeg, but I see those listed separately.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> It's very thoughtful of you to take on your SIL's tradition.
>
> gloria p

There are varying combinations depending on the brand of "mixed spice" you
buy in the UK. A British friend sent me this "recipe" several years ago
and I use it in fruitcake, mincemeat, and even in my pumpkin pies.

1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 teaspoon Mace
1 teaspoon Allspice
1 teaspoon Cloves
1 teaspoon Ginger
1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds

It's even nicer if you can use whole spices and grind them all together.
The taste is much brighter and fresher.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 04(IV)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)

PeterLucas[_4_] 04-04-2008 05:15 AM

REC: Time to start on the Christmas Cake

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
3.184:

> On Thu 03 Apr 2008 07:07:40p, Puester told us...
>
>> PeterLucas wrote:
>>> My recently widowed BIL is coming up to stay for awhile at the end
>>> of the month, and his SO was the Christmas Cake maker in the family.
>>> Somewhat of a tradition, it was. Even when living in England, she
>>> used to make a huge cake and send it to the family here in Oz in
>>> time for the family Christmas get-together.
>>>
>>> I made a cake for us last Chritmas (the first one without a K1
>>> cake), and my SO (who doesn't like fruit cake, but loved this one!!)
>>> has passed on the Family Christmas Cake Maker honour from her older
>>> sister, to me. She told me that K1 would have been proud of my cake.
>>>

>>> So............... this year I'm going to make them well in advance,
>>> and let them 'mature' in the cupboard till Christmas time. I'll give
>>> the BIL one to take back home to share with his kids and friends
>>> down south.
>>>

>>> Peters Christmas Cake.

>> That sounds like something my husband would like. (He's one
>> of the
>> few Yanks I know who likes fruitcake.)
>>
>> Question: What is mixed spice? Mixed spice in the U.S. is
>> pickling spices,
>> like bayleaf, various aromatic seeds (mustard, celery),
>> dried peppers, etc.
>> not something I'd expect to find in fruitcake. I thought
>> maybe cinnamon and
>> nutmeg, but I see those listed separately.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> It's very thoughtful of you to take on your SIL's tradition.
>>
>> gloria p
>>

> There are varying combinations depending on the brand of "mixed spice"
> you buy in the UK. A British friend sent me this "recipe" several
> years ago and I use it in fruitcake, mincemeat, and even in my pumpkin
> pies.
>
> 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
> 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
> 1 teaspoon Mace
> 1 teaspoon Allspice
> 1 teaspoon Cloves
> 1 teaspoon Ginger
> 1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds
>
> It's even nicer if you can use whole spices and grind them all
> together. The taste is much brighter and fresher.

Thanks for that Wayne. I might even give it a whirl instead of buying
the pre-packaged stuff.

Arri London 04-04-2008 05:31 AM

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 04-04-2008 05:34 AM

REC: Time to start on the Christmas Cake

On Thu 03 Apr 2008 09:15:05p, PeterLucas told us...

My pleasure, Peter... Enjoy!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 04(IV)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
7wks 3dys 2hrs 30mins
I try to make everyone's day a little
more surreal. -Calvin.

sf[_3_] 04-04-2008 06:03 AM

REC: Time to start on the Christmas Cake

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 02:49:37 +0000 (UTC), PeterLucas >
wrote:

>Is that true? Most Yanks don't like fruitcake?
>I take it you're not a Yank?

I eat fruitcake

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Arri London 04-04-2008 07:19 AM

PeterLucas wrote:

> Arri London > wrote in :
>

> > Pumpkin pie spices with a little tweaking would work. Cinnamon,
> > nutmeg, cloves, coriander, ginger, allspice etc. Anything you'd make
> > 'spice cake' with would also do.
> >

> Looking thru the McCormicks site, I can't believe they still have blends
> that contain MSG!!
>
> http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?id=6001
>
> --
> Peter Lucas

Easy to buy large tins of the stuff in any of the local Asian groceries.

PeterLucas[_4_] 04-04-2008 07:38 AM

@ic.ac.uk:

>> > Pumpkin pie spices with a little tweaking would work. Cinnamon,
>> > nutmeg, cloves, coriander, ginger, allspice etc. Anything you'd

make
>> > 'spice cake' with would also do.
>> >

>> Looking thru the McCormicks site, I can't believe they still have

blends
>> that contain MSG!!
>>
>> http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?id=6001
>>
>> --
>> Peter Lucas

> Easy to buy large tins of the stuff in any of the local Asian

groceries.

MSG has been a bit of a leper in Oz for quite some time.

Ravenlynne 04-04-2008 04:59 PM

PeterLucas wrote:
> My recently widowed BIL is coming up to stay for awhile at the end of
> the month, and his SO was the Christmas Cake maker in the family.
> Somewhat of a tradition, it was. Even when living in England, she used
> to make a huge cake and send it to the family here in Oz in time for the
> family Christmas get-together.
>
> I made a cake for us last Chritmas (the first one without a K1 cake),
> and my SO (who doesn't like fruit cake, but loved this one!!) has passed
> on the Family Christmas Cake Maker honour from her older sister, to me.
> She told me that K1 would have been proud of my cake.
>

> So............... this year I'm going to make them well in advance, and
> let them 'mature' in the cupboard till Christmas time. I'll give the BIL
> one to take back home to share with his kids and friends down south.
>

> Peters Christmas Cake.

I've snipped and saved. I may try this...I'm just worried that it won't
make it until Christmas...

Many condolences for the loss of your sister.

--
-Gina in Italy

http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com

Ravenlynne 04-04-2008 05:00 PM

PeterLucas wrote:
> Puester > wrote in
> :
>
>> PeterLucas wrote:
>>> My recently widowed BIL is coming up to stay for awhile at the end of
>>> the month, and his SO was the Christmas Cake maker in the family.
>>> Somewhat of a tradition, it was. Even when living in England, she
>>> used to make a huge cake and send it to the family here in Oz in time
>>> for the family Christmas get-together.
>>>
>>> I made a cake for us last Chritmas (the first one without a K1 cake),
>>> and my SO (who doesn't like fruit cake, but loved this one!!) has
>>> passed on the Family Christmas Cake Maker honour from her older
>>> sister, to me. She told me that K1 would have been proud of my cake.
>>>

>>> So............... this year I'm going to make them well in advance,
>>> and let them 'mature' in the cupboard till Christmas time. I'll give
>>> the BIL one to take back home to share with his kids and friends down
>>> south.
>>>

>>> Peters Christmas Cake.

>> That sounds like something my husband would like. (He's one
>> of the
>> few Yanks I know who likes fruitcake.)

> If he likes fruitcake, he'll *love* this one :-)
>
> Is that true? Most Yanks don't like fruitcake?
> I take it you're not a Yank?

Most don't because most are gifted with the crap that is called
"fruitcake" that is sold at supermarkets. Horribly hard and dry with a
bunch of fake fruit.

Paul M. Cook 04-04-2008 08:16 PM

Time to start on the Christmas Cake

"PeterLucas" > wrote in message
0.25...
> My recently widowed BIL is coming up to stay for awhile at the end of
> the month, and his SO was the Christmas Cake maker in the family.
> Somewhat of a tradition, it was. Even when living in England, she used
> to make a huge cake and send it to the family here in Oz in time for the
> family Christmas get-together.
>
> I made a cake for us last Chritmas (the first one without a K1 cake),
> and my SO (who doesn't like fruit cake, but loved this one!!) has passed
> on the Family Christmas Cake Maker honour from her older sister, to me.
> She told me that K1 would have been proud of my cake.
>

> So............... this year I'm going to make them well in advance, and
> let them 'mature' in the cupboard till Christmas time. I'll give the BIL
> one to take back home to share with his kids and friends down south.
>

> Peters Christmas Cake.
>

> 500g (1 lb) butter
> 500g (1 lb) Brown Sugar (the darker the better)
> 2 level tablespoons Mixed Spice
> 2 level dessertspoons Cinnamon
> 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
> 12 eggs
> 500g (1 lb) Flour
> 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
> Grated rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon
> 1kg (2 lb) Seeded Raisins
> 500g (1 lb) Sultanas
> 500g (1 lb) Currants
> 225g (1/2 lb) Mixed Peel
> 225g (1/2 lb) Cherries (I used Glace' cherries)
> 225g (1/2 lb) Almonds
> 4 tablespoons Wine or Brandy
> 1&1/2 cups combined red wine and brandy extra
>

> Cream butter sugar and spices together, add egg yolks and beat well.
> Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites alternatively with sifted flour and
> baking powder. Add grated rind and fruit and nuts. (Chop the cherries up
> and whizz the almonds (if whole) in a food processor). Lastly, add all
> the booze and mix.
>
> Grease and line your biggest cake tin with baking paper (mine's a 9"
> square and as you saw from the pics, still wasn't big enough!!).
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2o77tk
>
> Bake approx 5 hours at 120C (250F) and then 2 hours at 100C (200F)
>

> Note: With the egg whites, I put them and the flour in the mix in 3
> batches. The egg whites won't properly 'assimilate' by themselves so
> rather than spend too long trying to make them mix in, throw some flour
> in with them.
> And with the extra 1&1/2 cups of booze, mix them together in whatever
> quantities you want, and even add more if you wish... it'll just make
> the cake moister :-)
>
> My mix was predominately brandy with about 1/2 cup red wine...... it was
> *good* red wine, and I wanted to save it for drinking!!

You can also leave out the booze but spoon a couple tablespoons over the
cakes about once a month.

Paul

Puester 04-04-2008 08:43 PM

PeterLucas wrote:
> Puester > wrote in
> :

>> That sounds like something my husband would like. (He's one
>> of the few Yanks I know who likes fruitcake.)

> If he likes fruitcake, he'll *love* this one :-)
>
> Is that true? Most Yanks don't like fruitcake?
> I take it you're not a Yank?

I believe it depends on their experience with it. I wasn't
brought up
with it--the Portuguese immigrants had an entirely different
style
of baking--but my husband's mother always made or bought it
until she was in her dottage.

It depends on your definition of Yank. I was born in
Massachusetts,
a first generation Yank, but my heritage is Portuguese.

>> Question: What is mixed spice?
>>
>> Any ideas?

> Seems they all have different versions.
> And it seems you can't get it in the States for love, nor money.
>
> I can always drop some in the mail :-)

Thanks for the offer, but reading a few of your websites, I
think I
can successfully fake it with a variety of baking spices.

gloria p

PeterL[_6_] 05-04-2008 02:51 PM

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in news:i8vJj.17$NM.5@trnddc01:

> You can also leave out the booze but spoon a couple tablespoons over the
> cakes about once a month.

If you are that way inclined. This is a 'set, and forget' version. No need
to continually unwrap it to soak it.

Cover with baking paper, then with alfoil, put in the pantry till
Christmas.

Easy.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.

PeterL[_6_] 05-04-2008 02:57 PM

REC: Time to start on the Christmas Cake

Puester > wrote in news:nxvJj.69762$D_3.6592
@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

> PeterLucas wrote:
>> Puester > wrote in
>> :

>>> That sounds like something my husband would like. (He's one
>>> of the few Yanks I know who likes fruitcake.)

>> If he likes fruitcake, he'll *love* this one :-)
>>
>> Is that true? Most Yanks don't like fruitcake?
>> I take it you're not a Yank?

> I believe it depends on their experience with it. I wasn't
> brought up
> with it--the Portuguese immigrants had an entirely different
> style
> of baking--but my husband's mother always made or bought it
> until she was in her dottage.
>
> It depends on your definition of Yank. I was born in
> Massachusetts,
> a first generation Yank, but my heritage is Portuguese.

LOL!! It was your "He's one the few Yanks who likes fruitcake" comment
that threw me :-)

>>> Question: What is mixed spice?
>>>
>>> Any ideas?

>> Seems they all have different versions.
>> And it seems you can't get it in the States for love, nor money.
>>
>> I can always drop some in the mail :-)

> Thanks for the offer, but reading a few of your websites, I
> think I
> can successfully fake it with a variety of baking spices.

No sweat. If you change your mind, just give me a 'Hoi'.

PeterL[_6_] 05-04-2008 02:58 PM

REC: Time to start on the Christmas Cake

ravenlynne > wrote in
:

>> If he likes fruitcake, he'll *love* this one :-)
>>
>> Is that true? Most Yanks don't like fruitcake?
>> I take it you're not a Yank?

> Most don't because most are gifted with the crap that is called
> "fruitcake" that is sold at supermarkets. Horribly hard and dry with a
> bunch of fake fruit.

Not that you'd get that sort of 'crap' over there, would you?

Somehow I can't see Italians cooking a fruit cake!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.

PeterL[_6_] 05-04-2008 03:14 PM

REC: Time to start on the Christmas Cake

ravenlynne > wrote in
:

> PeterLucas wrote:
>> My recently widowed BIL is coming up to stay for awhile at the end of
>> the month, and his SO was the Christmas Cake maker in the family.
>> Somewhat of a tradition, it was. Even when living in England, she
>> used to make a huge cake and send it to the family here in Oz in time
>> for the family Christmas get-together.
>>
>> I made a cake for us last Chritmas (the first one without a K1 cake),
>> and my SO (who doesn't like fruit cake, but loved this one!!) has
>> passed on the Family Christmas Cake Maker honour from her older
>> sister, to me. She told me that K1 would have been proud of my cake.
>>

>> So............... this year I'm going to make them well in advance,
>> and let them 'mature' in the cupboard till Christmas time. I'll give
>> the BIL one to take back home to share with his kids and friends down
>> south.
>>

>> Peters Christmas Cake.
>>

> I've snipped and saved. I may try this...I'm just worried that it
> won't make it until Christmas...

Which is why I have to make 3!! One for the BIL, one for 'ron (later on,
with a cup of tea), and one for Christmas :-)

> Many condolences for the loss of your sister.

Thanks Gina, she was my SIL, but more like a big sister to me. No matter
what I did, she used to look at me with that mischevious glint in her
eyes, chuckle and tell me what a naughty boy I was :-)

The perfect lady...... right to the end.

My SO misses her deeply, she still cries. Not as much now, but it's
still there.

Me....... I just miss the big sister I never had.

BTW, she's K1 because we know 4 Kays. So they all get a number. K1, K2
(that particular Kay loves being called K2 because she's about 4'3", and
K2 is one of the tallest mountains in the world!!), K3, and K4.

LOL!! Just thought about it......... here's hoping we don't get to
befriend any more Kays....... I don't want to be calling one of them
K9!!

PeterL[_6_] 05-04-2008 03:16 PM

REC: Time to start on the Christmas Cake

Janet Baraclough > wrote in
:

>> So............... this year I'm going to make them well in advance,
>> and let them 'mature' in the cupboard till Christmas time. I'll give
>> the BIL one to take back home to share with his kids and friends down
>> south.

> That's a LONG time in advance :-) J usually makes our xmas cake in
> October. Then every two weeks or so, he unwraps its shroud and pours
> on a spoonful of brandy to keep it moist.

Give this one a try as an experiment.

You'll be *very* pleasently suprised.

No need for the constant unwrapping to keep it moist.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.

PeterL[_6_] 06-04-2008 03:17 AM

REC: Time to start on the Christmas Cake

whirygirly > wrote in news:47f7a8f2$0$12548
:

> PeterLucas wrote:
>

>> Seems they all have different versions.
>> And it seems you can't get it in the States for love, nor money.
>>
>> I can always drop some in the mail :-)
>>

> Sounds like what we call pumpkin pie spice?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_pie_spice
> http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=6436
>
> or maybe Penzey's baking spice?
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...eysbaking.html

Sounds about right.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.

Arri London 06-04-2008 04:17 AM

PeterLucas wrote:

> Arri London > wrote in :
>

> > PeterLucas wrote:
> >>
> >> Arri London > wrote in news:47F5AF1D.D129CB32

> @ic.ac.uk:

> make
> >> >

> >> Looking thru the McCormicks site, I can't believe they still have

> blends
> >> that contain MSG!!
> >>
> >> http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?id=6001
> >>
> >> --
> >> Peter Lucas

> > Easy to buy large tins of the stuff in any of the local Asian

> groceries.
> >

> MSG has been a bit of a leper in Oz for quite some time.
>
> --
> Peter Lucas

It is here too but still used in various forms of Asian cooking.
Restaurants will advertise that they do not use MSG but forget to
mention that it may be in various spice powders in common use.
Got a huge MSG headache after eating in an Indonesian restaurant in
London that said they didn't use MSG. No they didn't; turned out it was
in the 'chicken powder' used as part of a coating for fried chicken
pieces.