Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rats, over deleted

In an excess of zeal to get rid of the spam still getting in (they seem to
be getting smarter) I deleted replies to the thread I had on a not so snazzy
dinner night! Sorry!
xxcarol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> In an excess of zeal to get rid of the spam still getting in (they
> seem to be getting smarter) I deleted replies to the thread I had on
> a not so snazzy dinner night! Sorry! xxcarol

OE doesn't allow you to reload messages?

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" wrote
> cshenk wrote:
>
>> In an excess of zeal to get rid of the spam still getting in (they
>> seem to be getting smarter) I deleted replies to the thread I had on
>> a not so snazzy dinner night! Sorry! xxcarol

> OE doesn't allow you to reload messages?

Not by subject line. I can pull down every message on the server, but thats
silly in this case.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in
:

> "Default User" wrote
>> cshenk wrote:
>>
>>> In an excess of zeal to get rid of the spam still getting in (they
>>> seem to be getting smarter) I deleted replies to the thread I had on
>>> a not so snazzy dinner night! Sorry! xxcarol

>> OE doesn't allow you to reload messages?

> Not by subject line. I can pull down every message on the server, but
> thats silly in this case.

Swap to Xnews. It's free, it's good.

It allows you to pull up as many posts as you want. If you want to look
at all the posts in a particular thread because you may have missed one
or two, you highlight that thread and hit Ctrl U.

Ctrl F5 whilst having the newsgroup highlighted allows you to download
as few, or as many past posts as you want.

http://xnews.newsguy.com/

Oh, and the killfile is easy and fast.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing.

Edmund Burke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
>> In an excess of zeal to get rid of the spam still getting in (they seem
>> to be getting smarter) I deleted replies to the thread I had on a not so
>> snazzy dinner night! Sorry!
>> xxcarol

> I think the Spammers read the posts and learn from our venting. Honestly.
> I just reformatted due to a hard drive crash and had to kill all those
> pesky posts once again. It's really a PITA.
>
> kili

Here's that R.E.M stuff I made for you in chat last night. Never saw you
again.

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/rem.jpg

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 17:28:18 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>I think the Spammers read the posts and learn from our venting.

So, they are spamming us just because they can... no intention to sell
anything - to disrupt. What complete assholes.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> cshenk wrote:
>> In an excess of zeal to get rid of the spam still getting in (they
>> seem to be getting smarter) I deleted replies to the thread I had on
>> a not so snazzy dinner night! Sorry!
>> xxcarol

> I think the Spammers read the posts and learn from our venting. Honestly.
> I just reformatted due to a hard drive crash and had to kill all those
> pesky posts once again. It's really a PITA.
>
> kili

(HUGE SIGH) I still have never had to reformat a hard drive in my (personal;
work was different) life. You must really d/l a lot of crap to have to keep
doing that. At any rate, if you k/f spammers you shouldn't get the crap
back unless you're restoring from a backup full of spam crap.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message ...
> On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 17:28:18 -0400, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
>>I think the Spammers read the posts and learn from our venting.

> So, they are spamming us just because they can... no intention to sell
> anything - to disrupt. What complete assholes.

Spammers *are* assholes. They're Trolls in it for the short run. Who
really buys their watches/Nike/hoodies knockoffs and all that stuff? Just
filter them out (it's easy enough, even with OE)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 17:28:18 -0400, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> > I think the Spammers read the posts and learn from our venting.

> So, they are spamming us just because they can... no intention to sell
> anything - to disrupt. What complete assholes.

No. They may learn from postings how to defeat filters, but their
intent is spam their "products". They don't care about the newsgroup.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> Blinky the Shark wrote:

>> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/rem.jpg

> Thanks! I got a late night phone call and was on the phone for over 4
> hours with my husband's ex-wife. It was an interesting night!

I'll bet.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 14:14:32 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> I think the Spammers read the posts and learn from our venting. Honestly.
>>> I just reformatted due to a hard drive crash and had to
>>> kill all those pesky posts once again. It's really a PITA.
>>>
>>> kili

>> (HUGE SIGH) I still have never had to reformat a hard drive in my
>> (personal; work was different) life. You must really d/l a lot of
>> crap to have to keep doing that. At any rate, if you k/f spammers
>> you shouldn't get the crap back unless you're restoring from a backup
>> full of spam crap.
>> Jill

>I'm using my own networked computer, now, that my Dad recently sent to me
>because Allan doesn't share well with others <g> and the hard drive on the
>computer my Dad gave me was old and small. I kept hearing the ka-klunk of a
>dying drive and it went in a matter of weeks. I lost my e-mail addresses,
>some of my family tree files and such. Sigh. Not only did the hard drive
>die, but we had to change out the power supply, the RAM, the video card, the
>sound card and the DVD drive. I've only had this thing for about a month,
>and I'm looking for a new motherboard, now. It's like, thanks for sending
>me a piece of crap, Dad! LOL.
>
>It's okay, I've now got 2-80 gig hard drives in here with one of the 80 gigs
>partitioned for the operating system only, 1 gig of RAM, a 256 mg Nvdia
>video card, and a creative labs 64 mg sound card. Oh, and I've "upgraded"
>from a 15" curved screen monitor to a 17" flat screen.
>
>(We scored on Freecycle. Yep, it was all FREE! Freecycle rocks!
>http://www.freecycle.org/ )
>
>kili

excellent, kili!

my machine makes a lot of noise for a period of time, and then is
quiet. i think it's toying with me. but i've been making weekly
backups, so i hope when it shuffles off to the land of null devices i
won't be completely screwed.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 16:52:09 GMT, blake murphy >
wrote:

>my machine makes a lot of noise for a period of time, and then is
>quiet. i think it's toying with me. but i've been making weekly
>backups, so i hope when it shuffles off to the land of null devices i
>won't be completely screwed.

I've discovered that my machine makes a noise that sounds like it's
dying when there's a CD in the CD drive. Check it out, maybe that's
your noise problem too.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 17:04:41 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Either one could be
>clogged with lint and may need to be replaced.

or vacuumed

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 12:14:20 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 16:52:09 GMT, blake murphy >
>wrote:
>
>>my machine makes a lot of noise for a period of time, and then is
>>quiet. i think it's toying with me. but i've been making weekly
>>backups, so i hope when it shuffles off to the land of null devices i
>>won't be completely screwed.

>I've discovered that my machine makes a noise that sounds like it's
>dying when there's a CD in the CD drive. Check it out, maybe that's
>your noise problem too.

nope. i think it's the hard drive, grinding away. at what, i don't
know, because i'm not usually asking it to do something.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote

> nope. i think it's the hard drive, grinding away. at what, i don't
> know, because i'm not usually asking it to do something.

I've been known to reboot when it does that. Makes me
nervous, what is it doing?? It did that this morning after I'd
been googling around for some information, and when it stopped,
my pc was running slowly. Reboot. Problem solved.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 17:04:41 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 16:52:09 GMT, blake murphy >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> my machine makes a lot of noise for a period of time, and then is
>>> quiet. i think it's toying with me. but i've been making weekly
>>> backups, so i hope when it shuffles off to the land of null devices i
>>> won't be completely screwed.

>> I've discovered that my machine makes a noise that sounds like it's
>> dying when there's a CD in the CD drive. Check it out, maybe that's
>> your noise problem too.

>Noise problems can be caused by dying power supply fans, dying CPU fans, and
>dying drives (IDE and Optical).
>
>In your "case" (pun intended, blake - get it?), if the noise comes and goes,
>I'm guessing it's the power supply or the CPU fan. Either one could be
>clogged with lint and may need to be replaced.
>
>kili

could be - i smoke and god knows there's plenty of dust around.

i'm too timid to open the case and check it out.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 16:49:54 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>> On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 14:14:32 -0400, "kilikini"
>> > wrote:

>>> I'm using my own networked computer, now, that my Dad recently sent
>>> to me because Allan doesn't share well with others <g> and the hard
>>> drive on the computer my Dad gave me was old and small. I kept
>>> hearing the ka-klunk of a dying drive and it went in a matter of
>>> weeks. I lost my e-mail addresses, some of my family tree files and
>>> such. Sigh. Not only did the hard drive die, but we had to change
>>> out the power supply, the RAM, the video card, the sound card and
>>> the DVD drive. I've only had this thing for about a month, and I'm
>>> looking for a new motherboard, now. It's like, thanks for sending
>>> me a piece of crap, Dad! LOL.
>>>
>>> It's okay, I've now got 2-80 gig hard drives in here with one of the
>>> 80 gigs partitioned for the operating system only, 1 gig of RAM, a
>>> 256 mg Nvdia video card, and a creative labs 64 mg sound card. Oh,
>>> and I've "upgraded" from a 15" curved screen monitor to a 17" flat
>>> screen.
>>>
>>> (We scored on Freecycle. Yep, it was all FREE! Freecycle rocks!
>>> http://www.freecycle.org/ )
>>>
>>> kili
>>>

>> excellent, kili!
>>
>> my machine makes a lot of noise for a period of time, and then is
>> quiet. i think it's toying with me. but i've been making weekly
>> backups, so i hope when it shuffles off to the land of null devices i
>> won't be completely screwed.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>Well, whenever it decides to go to the land of the lost, I may still have
>extra parts for you. :~)
>
>kili

well, bless your thoughty bones!

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 14:33:39 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>Or spyware or hijacker, but you made a good point. :~)

Oh, man.... I would think someone like Blake has up to date virus
protection and runs AdAware. Hyjackthis is a good tool, if you know
what you're doing or inquire in the right forums for advice.
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 10:04:43 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote
>
>> nope. i think it's the hard drive, grinding away. at what, i don't
>> know, because i'm not usually asking it to do something.

>I've been known to reboot when it does that. Makes me
>nervous, what is it doing?? It did that this morning after I'd
>been googling around for some information, and when it stopped,
>my pc was running slowly. Reboot. Problem solved.
>
>nancy

it never seems to be a performance issue (although maybe my
performance is cruddy all the time). it just makes me nervous. thank
god the machines are so much cheaper now if i should have to replace
the damn thing.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> "blake murphy" > wrote
>>
>>> nope. i think it's the hard drive, grinding away. at what, i don't
>>> know, because i'm not usually asking it to do something.

>> I've been known to reboot when it does that. Makes me
>> nervous, what is it doing?? It did that this morning after I'd
>> been googling around for some information, and when it stopped,
>> my pc was running slowly. Reboot. Problem solved.
>>
>> nancy
>>

>when your hard drive is grinding away and you didn't ask it to do
>something is a good sign of a trojan.

could be, but i always wear a condom when i download.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:38:48 -0700, sf wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 14:33:39 -0400, "kilikini"
> wrote:
>

>>Or spyware or hijacker, but you made a good point. :~)

>Oh, man.... I would think someone like Blake has up to date virus
>protection and runs AdAware. Hyjackthis is a good tool, if you know
>what you're doing or inquire in the right forums for advice.
>http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/programs.php

not really, but i'm pretty careful about where i go and what i do. on
the machine, anyway.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote

> On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 10:04:43 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>>"blake murphy" > wrote
>>
>>> nope. i think it's the hard drive, grinding away. at what, i don't
>>> know, because i'm not usually asking it to do something.

>>I've been known to reboot when it does that. Makes me
>>nervous, what is it doing?? It did that this morning after I'd
>>been googling around for some information, and when it stopped,
>>my pc was running slowly. Reboot. Problem solved.

> it never seems to be a performance issue

Same here.

>(although maybe my
> performance is cruddy all the time). it just makes me nervous.

It does make me nervous. McAfee has picked up on things a couple
of times, and my normal scans don't show signs of trouble, so I
assume I'm just paranoid. I'm pretty careful about what I open and
really careful about what I download, still, you never know.

> thank
> god the machines are so much cheaper now if i should have to replace
> the damn thing.

Really. I mean, my pc must be 3 years old by now, almost time for
a new one. Harrr.

nancy