Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Zimbabwe

Hello, All!

It almost seems possible that there will be a change. Perhaps,
barbequed Mugabe with Sauce Robert might be appropriate (sorry).

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Hello, All!
>
> It almost seems possible that there will be a change. Perhaps,
> barbequed Mugabe with Sauce Robert might be appropriate (sorry).

Good luck to them. It used to be a nice country and exported a lot
of agricultural products. The world blackballed Rhodesia because the
white government excluded blacks. The blacks won the civil war and
took it upon themselves to screw the whites. Mugabe's government
expropriated white owned farms, even those that the white had bought
from the government after the war. The land was then given to so
called veterans of the civil war, even though many of them were not
even born at the time of the war.

I recommend reading "When A Crocodile Eats The Sun" to see the
impact that Mugabe's regime has had on Zimbabwe. It left me
thinking that any group of people that can act so spitefully and so
stupidly do not deserve any help from the outside world. Some people
just need to let Darwinism do its job.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

....snip
> I recommend reading "When A Crocodile Eats The Sun" to see the
> impact that Mugabe's regime has had on Zimbabwe. It left me
> thinking that any group of people that can act so spitefully and so
> stupidly do not deserve any help from the outside world. Some people
> just need to let Darwinism do its job.

Well stated, Dave.

--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> > I recommend reading "When A Crocodile Eats The Sun" to see the
> > impact that Mugabe's regime has had on Zimbabwe. It left me
> > thinking that any group of people that can act so spitefully and so
> > stupidly do not deserve any help from the outside world. Some people
> > just need to let Darwinism do its job.

> On the whole, note how much more functional the African states are as a
> result of the big push for independence starting about 50 years ago.
> Right.

They are? Some of them had law and order and growing economies before
independence. Most of them seem to have regressed. Countries like
Zimbabwe used to export food but now they can't even feed themselves.
Billions of dollars in aid is sent in to help the people but it never seems
to get past those in a position to to demand a bribe.

FWIW, my nephew went to Uganda when he was in his late 20s. He was under
contract to an aid agency to organize some coops to market corn. He ended
up hiring my son, who was 19 at the time, to come over and help him because
he could not find anyone he could trust. Both he and my son were shaken
down by the cops a few times. Most of their agents could be trusted. After
a few years he packed it in.

My nephew recently forwarded a progress report from one of his more
reliable former employees over there. The company he was working for was
about to go under. They had bid on a contract to an aid
agency...indirectly. The were the 8th subcontractor down the line from the
original contract and could not afford to do the work for the amount bid.
Seven other contractors had raked off the profits.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> James Silverton wrote:
>
>> Hello, All!
>>
>> It almost seems possible that there will be a change. Perhaps,
>> barbequed Mugabe with Sauce Robert might be appropriate (sorry).

> Good luck to them. It used to be a nice country and exported a lot
> of agricultural products. The world blackballed Rhodesia because the
> white government excluded blacks. The blacks won the civil war and
> took it upon themselves to screw the whites. Mugabe's government
> expropriated white owned farms, even those that the white had bought
> from the government after the war. The land was then given to so
> called veterans of the civil war, even though many of them were not
> even born at the time of the war.
>
> I recommend reading "When A Crocodile Eats The Sun" to see the
> impact that Mugabe's regime has had on Zimbabwe. It left me
> thinking that any group of people that can act so spitefully and so
> stupidly do not deserve any help from the outside world. Some people
> just need to let Darwinism do its job.

On the whole, note how much more functional the African states are as a
result of the big push for independence starting about 50 years ago.
Right.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > Blinky the Shark wrote:
> > >
> > > On the whole, note how much more functional the African states are as a
> > > result of the big push for independence starting about 50 years ago.
> > > Right.

> > They are? Some of them had law and order and growing economies before
> > independence. Most of them seem to have regressed. Countries like
> > Zimbabwe used to export food but now they can't even feed themselves.
> > Billions of dollars in aid is sent in to help the people but it never seems
> > to get past those in a position to to demand a bribe.

> I believe he was being sarcastic.

Unfortunately what many countries need is an iron fisted benevolent
dictator for the three or four generations it takes to develop the
critical mass of socio-political maturity to handle self governance.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:

> Unfortunately what many countries need is an iron fisted benevolent
> dictator for the three or four generations it takes to develop the
> critical mass of socio-political maturity to handle self governance.

We have had various international theme years. Maybe this year should be the
International Year of Honesty and Integrity where governments and aid agencies
review their programs to rid them of bribery and corruption. No more bribes for
police, no more rake-offs on aid contracts etc. If governments in these third
world country were run honestly there should be a little more credibility and, in
turn, greater respect for the current regimes. That should eliminate the constant
cycle of rebellion and reprisals that have kept most of them down for so many
years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
> >
> > On the whole, note how much more functional the African states are as a
> > result of the big push for independence starting about 50 years ago.
> > Right.

> They are? Some of them had law and order and growing economies before
> independence. Most of them seem to have regressed. Countries like
> Zimbabwe used to export food but now they can't even feed themselves.
> Billions of dollars in aid is sent in to help the people but it never seems
> to get past those in a position to to demand a bribe.

I believe he was being sarcastic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pete C. wrote:

> Mark Thorson wrote:
>
> > Dave Smith wrote:

> > > They are? Some of them had law and order and growing economies before
> > > independence. *Most of them seem to have regressed. *Countries like
> > > Zimbabwe used to export food but now they can't even feed themselves.
> > > Billions of dollars in aid is sent in to help the people but it never seems
> > > to get past those in a position to to demand a bribe.

> > I believe he was being sarcastic.

> Unfortunately what many countries need is an iron fisted benevolent
> dictator for the three or four generations it takes to develop the
> critical mass of socio-political maturity to handle self governance.- Hide quoted text -

Africa fared *far* better under colonialism...

Additionally, *all* aid to Africa should be ended, it does nothing but
go into the coffers of the wealthy few and props up the onerous
regimes...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> >> Apparently I needed big blinking <sarcasm> </sarcasm> tags around what I
> >> said. I guess the sarcastic negation "Right" with which I closed what I
> >> said wasn't obvious enough.

> > He's Canadian, Blink. Naive is second only to maple syrup in their
> > national output.

> Far too many handicaps have been sighted in the wild for me to be able
> to keep them all straight.

I apologize for my naivety, but I have encountered too many PC types who would
actually believe that was true.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>

>> > I recommend reading "When A Crocodile Eats The Sun" to see the impact
>> > that Mugabe's regime has had on Zimbabwe. It left me thinking that
>> > any group of people that can act so spitefully and so stupidly do not
>> > deserve any help from the outside world. Some people just need to let
>> > Darwinism do its job.

>> On the whole, note how much more functional the African states are as a
>> result of the big push for independence starting about 50 years ago.
>> Right.

> They are? Some of them had law and order and growing economies before
> independence. Most of them seem to have regressed.

Apparently I needed big blinking <sarcasm> </sarcasm> tags around what I
said. I guess the sarcastic negation "Right" with which I closed what I
said wasn't obvious enough.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>> >
>> > On the whole, note how much more functional the African states are as
>> > a result of the big push for independence starting about 50 years ago.
>> > Right.

>> They are? Some of them had law and order and growing economies before
>> independence. Most of them seem to have regressed. Countries like
>> Zimbabwe used to export food but now they can't even feed themselves.
>> Billions of dollars in aid is sent in to help the people but it never
>> seems to get past those in a position to to demand a bribe.

> I believe he was being sarcastic.

I applaud your ability to read with comprehension, Mark. Thank you.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:LvQIj.6287
$s27.979@trnddc02:

> Hello, All!
>
> It almost seems possible that there will be a change. Perhaps,
> barbequed Mugabe with Sauce Robert might be appropriate (sorry).

What's the bet the Presidential candidate suddely dies?

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > Blinky the Shark wrote:
> >
> >> On the whole, note how much more functional the African states are as a
> >> result of the big push for independence starting about 50 years ago.
> >> Right.

> > They are? Some of them had law and order and growing economies before
> > independence. Most of them seem to have regressed.

> Apparently I needed big blinking <sarcasm> </sarcasm> tags around what I
> said. I guess the sarcastic negation "Right" with which I closed what I
> said wasn't obvious enough.

He's Canadian, Blink. Naive is second only to maple syrup
in their national output.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> Blinky the Shark wrote:
>>
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>> > They are? Some of them had law and order and growing economies before
>> > independence. Most of them seem to have regressed.

>> Apparently I needed big blinking <sarcasm> </sarcasm> tags around what I
>> said. I guess the sarcastic negation "Right" with which I closed what I
>> said wasn't obvious enough.

> He's Canadian, Blink. Naive is second only to maple syrup in their
> national output.

Far too many handicaps have been sighted in the wild for me to be able
to keep them all straight.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

>> > He's Canadian, Blink. Naive is second only to maple syrup in their
>> > national output.

>> Far too many handicaps have been sighted in the wild for me to be able
>> to keep them all straight.

> I apologize for my naivety, but I have encountered too many PC types who

No problem.

> would actually believe that was true.

I wasn't born yesterday and have never bought a pair of rose-colored
glasses -- I *remember* when those breakaways began, and have seen their
half-century of failure. And - trust me - the *last* thing you'll find me
to be is PC.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello, All!
>
> It almost seems possible that there will be a change. Perhaps, barbequed
> Mugabe with Sauce Robert might be appropriate (sorry).
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Who cares?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Cebulka" > wrote in message
> James Silverton wrote:
>> Hello, All!
>>
>> It almost seems possible that there will be a change. Perhaps, barbequed
>> Mugabe with Sauce Robert might be appropriate (sorry).
>>
>> James Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland
>>
>> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
>> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

> Who cares?

I do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Apr 2008 23:51:24 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"George Cebulka" > wrote in message
>> James Silverton wrote:
>>> Hello, All!
>>>
>>> It almost seems possible that there will be a change. Perhaps, barbequed
>>> Mugabe with Sauce Robert might be appropriate (sorry).

>> Who cares?

>I do.

Not everyone knows what's going on over there. I think CC's dad moved
away from Zimbabwe to escape the political unrest.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Cebulka > wrote in
:

> James Silverton wrote:
>> Hello, All!
>>
>> It almost seems possible that there will be a change. Perhaps,
>> barbequed Mugabe with Sauce Robert might be appropriate (sorry).
>>
>> James Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland
>>
>> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
>> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

> Who cares?

Obviously James.

But I do, as well.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote on Sat, 5 Apr 2008 13:49:13 +0000 (UTC):

??>> James Silverton wrote:
??>>> Hello, All!
??>>>
??>>> It almost seems possible that there will be a change.
??>>> Perhaps, barbequed Mugabe with Sauce Robert might be
??>>> appropriate (sorry).
??>>>
??>>> James Silverton
??>>> Potomac, Maryland
??>>>
??>>> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
??>>> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
??>>
??>> Who cares?
??>>
P> Obviously James.

P> But I do, as well.

Zimbabwe was once "the bread basket of Africa". Under the expert
guidance of Mr. Mugabe, inflation is 10,000% and people are
starving. I was just suggesting a menu item for a banquet to
celebrate his going.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in news:c%
LJj.417$Ah1.120@trnddc08:

> PeterL wrote on Sat, 5 Apr 2008 13:49:13 +0000 (UTC):
>
> ??>> James Silverton wrote:
> ??>>> Hello, All!
> ??>>>
> ??>>> It almost seems possible that there will be a change.
> ??>>> Perhaps, barbequed Mugabe with Sauce Robert might be
> ??>>> appropriate (sorry).
> ??>>>
> ??>>> James Silverton
> ??>>> Potomac, Maryland
> ??>>>
> ??>>> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> ??>>> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
> ??>>
> ??>> Who cares?
> ??>>
> P> Obviously James.
>
> P> But I do, as well.
>
> Zimbabwe was once "the bread basket of Africa". Under the expert
> guidance of Mr. Mugabe, inflation is 10,000% and people are
> starving. I was just suggesting a menu item for a banquet to
> celebrate his going.

I would rather have just fed him to the hyenas.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing.

Edmund Burke.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> ??
>
> P> But I do, as well.
>
> Zimbabwe was once "the bread basket of Africa". Under the expert
> guidance of Mr. Mugabe, inflation is 10,000% and people are
> starving. I was just suggesting a menu item for a banquet to
> celebrate his going.

According to the author of "When a Crocodile Eats the Sun" Mugabe
was taking land from successful white farmers and giving it to
"veterans" of the civil war, many of whom were too young to have
even been around during the war, never mind being veterans of it.
They new owners would move in and chase off the farmers, not even
allowing them to harvest the crops that were ready to be reaped.
Then the did nothing to the land. They did not farm it or even
build on it. They just didn't want the white farmers to have their
land. In some cases, the white farmers had bought the land from the
Zimbabwean government after the war.

They are the authors of their own misfortune. It is a seen typical
of a number of countries in Africa. They were easily colonized
because the people were in no position to fight them, often having
so many tribal conflicts that they could not put up a united front,
never mind fight a modern army. They prospered under white
development programs but seemed envious of the advantaged whites and
ended up seeking independence and black rule, and the common result
is oppressive governments, bribery and corruption, a huge drop in
their economies and more suffering for the people.

Personally, I think we should take a lesson from the past. I live in
a country that thrived as a colony and made great advances. Most of
the major successful countries in the world share that background
and enjoy the benefits. The others had their chance and they blew
it. They deserve their current situation. Since they fought so
hard to remove white westerners from power and pushed them out of
the country I see no reason for westerners to bail them out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterL wrote on Sat, 5 Apr 2008 14:52:18 +0000 (UTC):

??>> PeterL wrote on Sat, 5 Apr 2008 13:49:13 +0000 (UTC):
??>>
??>>>> James Silverton wrote:
??>>>>> Hello, All!
??>>>>>
??>>>>> It almost seems possible that there will be a change.
??>>>>> Perhaps, barbequed Mugabe with Sauce Robert might be
??>>>>> appropriate (sorry).
??>>>>>
??>>>>> James Silverton
??>>>>> Potomac, Maryland
??>>>>>
??>>>>> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
??>>>>> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
??>>>>
??>>>> Who cares?
??>>>>
P>>> Obviously James.
??>>
P>>> But I do, as well.
??>>
??>> Zimbabwe was once "the bread basket of Africa". Under the
??>> expert guidance of Mr. Mugabe, inflation is 10,000% and
??>> people are starving. I was just suggesting a menu item for
??>> a banquet to celebrate his going.
??>>
P> I would rather have just fed him to the hyenas.

Posssibly even they are hungry!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> PeterL wrote on Sat, 5 Apr 2008 14:52:18 +0000 (UTC):
>
> ??>> PeterL wrote on Sat, 5 Apr 2008 13:49:13 +0000 (UTC):
> ??>>
> ??>>>> James Silverton wrote:
> ??>>>>> Hello, All!
> ??>>>>>
> ??>>>>> It almost seems possible that there will be a change.
> ??>>>>> Perhaps, barbequed Mugabe with Sauce Robert might be
> ??>>>>> appropriate (sorry).
> ??>>>>>
> ??>>>>> James Silverton
> ??>>>>> Potomac, Maryland
> ??>>>>>
> ??>>>>> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> ??>>>>> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
> ??>>>>
> ??>>>> Who cares?
> ??>>>>
> ??>>
> ??>>
> ??>> Zimbabwe was once "the bread basket of Africa". Under the
> ??>> expert guidance of Mr. Mugabe, inflation is 10,000% and
> ??>> people are starving. I was just suggesting a menu item for
> ??>> a banquet to celebrate his going.
> ??>>
> P> I would rather have just fed him to the hyenas.
>
> Posssibly even they are hungry!

FWIW, I find your comments, along with Peter's an Morrons, really offensive.
Like people colonized for hundreds of years have a chance at starting out
well governing themselves. And furthermore, **** you, you racist assholes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" schrieb :

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>> PeterL wrote on Sat, 5 Apr 2008 14:52:18 +0000 (UTC):
>>
>> ??>> PeterL wrote on Sat, 5 Apr 2008 13:49:13 +0000 (UTC):
>> ??>>
>> ??>>>> James Silverton wrote:
>> ??>>>>> Hello, All!
>> ??>>>>>
>> ??>>>>> It almost seems possible that there will be a change.
>> ??>>>>> Perhaps, barbequed Mugabe with Sauce Robert might be
>> ??>>>>> appropriate (sorry).
>> ??>>>>>
>> ??>>>>> James Silverton
>> ??>>>>> Potomac, Maryland
>> ??>>>>>
>> ??>>>>> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
>> ??>>>>> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
>> ??>>>>
>> ??>>>> Who cares?
>> ??>>>>
>> ??>>
>> ??>>
>> ??>> Zimbabwe was once "the bread basket of Africa". Under the
>> ??>> expert guidance of Mr. Mugabe, inflation is 10,000% and
>> ??>> people are starving. I was just suggesting a menu item for
>> ??>> a banquet to celebrate his going.
>> ??>>
>> P> I would rather have just fed him to the hyenas.
>>
>> Posssibly even they are hungry!
>>

> FWIW, I find your comments, along with Peter's an Morrons, really offensive.
> Like people colonized for hundreds of years have a chance at starting out
> well governing themselves. And furthermore, **** you, you racist assholes.

Hundreds of years ?
<cough>
Apart from the Portugese in Sambesi (Mozambique), colonialization started
in the 1850ies. The Boers started in the 1750ies, OK.
Otherwise, Deutsch-Südwestafrika came into being around 1908.
So, let's see : Roughly 100 years of colonialism. Compared to 50 years
of pumping money into Africa. We could have flushed the money down
the toilet with the same effect.
It's nice to see political correctness at work ...

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Kuettner" > wrote

>> FWIW, I find your comments, along with Peter's an Morrons, really
>> offensive.
>> Like people colonized for hundreds of years have a chance at starting out
>> well governing themselves. And furthermore, **** you, you racist
>> assholes.
>>

> Hundreds of years ?
> <cough>
> Apart from the Portugese in Sambesi (Mozambique), colonialization started
> in the 1850ies. The Boers started in the 1750ies, OK.

Try not to post about things of which you know nothing. West Africa
had been carved up and colonized by the Dutch, English, and Germans
by 1736.

http://tinyurl.com/4cle76

Subsaharan Africa was heavily colonized by 1850. I'm short 40 years,
so the **** what?

> Otherwise, Deutsch-Südwestafrika came into being around 1908.
> So, let's see : Roughly 100 years of colonialism. Compared to 50 years
> of pumping money into Africa. We could have flushed the money down
> the toilet with the same effect.
> It's nice to see political correctness at work ...

Whether or not any nation should give aid is another issue.

You and others smugly jeer at the way these people are struggling to run
their own nations, just to sneer. You're a pig.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote on Sat, 5 Apr 2008 13:29:18 -0400:

c> "James Silverton" > wrote in
c> message news:trMJj.421$Ah1.368@trnddc08...
??>> PeterL wrote on Sat, 5 Apr 2008 14:52:18 +0000 (UTC):
??>>
??>>>> PeterL wrote on Sat, 5 Apr 2008 13:49:13 +0000 (UTC):
??>>>>
??>>>>>> James Silverton wrote:
??>>>>>>> Hello, All!
??>>>>>>>
??>>>>>>> It almost seems possible that there will be a change.
??>>>>>>> Perhaps, barbequed Mugabe with Sauce Robert might be
??>>>>>>> appropriate (sorry).
??>>>>>>>
??>>>>>>> James Silverton
??>>>>>>> Potomac, Maryland
??>>>>>>>
??>>>>>>> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
??>>>>>>> not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
??>>>>>>
??>>>>>> Who cares?
??>>>>>>
??>>>>
??>>>>
??>>>> Zimbabwe was once "the bread basket of Africa". Under
??>>>> the expert guidance of Mr. Mugabe, inflation is 10,000%
??>>>> and people are starving. I was just suggesting a menu
??>>>> item for a banquet to celebrate his going.
??>>>>
P>>> I would rather have just fed him to the hyenas.
??>>
??>> Posssibly even they are hungry!
??>>
c> FWIW, I find your comments, along with Peter's an Morrons,
c> really offensive. Like people colonized for hundreds of
c> years have a chance at starting out well governing
c> themselves. And furthermore, **** you, you racist assholes.

Here we go again! I was born in Britain in the last century so I
am responsible for Cromwell's Drogheda massacre in the
seventeenth century even if four of my great grandparents said
they were Irish.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote on Sat, 5 Apr 2008 17:21:49 -0400:

c> "Michael Kuettner" > wrote
??>>>
??>>> FWIW, I find your comments, along with Peter's an
??>>> Morrons, really offensive. Like people colonized for
??>>> hundreds of years have a chance at starting out well
??>>> governing themselves. And furthermore, **** you, you
??>>> racist assholes.
??>>>
??>> Hundreds of years ?
??>> <cough>
??>> Apart from the Portugese in Sambesi (Mozambique),
??>> colonialization started in the 1850ies. The Boers started
??>> in the 1750ies, OK.

c> Try not to post about things of which you know nothing. West
c> Africa had been carved up and colonized by the Dutch,
c> English, and Germans by 1736.

c> http://tinyurl.com/4cle76

c> Subsaharan Africa was heavily colonized by 1850. I'm short
c> 40 years, so the **** what?

??>> Otherwise, Deutsch-Südwestafrika came into being around
??>> 1908. So, let's see : Roughly 100 years of colonialism.
??>> Compared to 50 years of pumping money into Africa. We
??>> could have flushed the money down the toilet with the same
??>> effect. It's nice to see political correctness at work ...

c> Whether or not any nation should give aid is another issue.

c> You and others smugly jeer at the way these people are
c> struggling to run their own nations, just to sneer. You're a
c> pig.

So you feel that criticism of the quite well-educated Mugabe
who has proved to have no administrative abilities whatsoever,
has ruined his country financially and maintained himself in
power and riches by terror while his countrymen starved was a
necessary step in nation building. Have you seen or read the
news from Zimbabwe? I hope that the opposition is allowed to
take power peacefully but I doubt it

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in newsmTJj.180
$_I1.33@trnddc02:

Don't mind cyber****...... it must be that time of the month again!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Edmund Burke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
.. .

> "Michael Kuettner" > wrote
>>>
>>> FWIW, I find your comments, along with Peter's an Morrons, really offensive.
>>> Like people colonized for hundreds of years have a chance at starting out
>>> well governing themselves. And furthermore, **** you, you racist assholes.
>>>

>> Hundreds of years ?
>> <cough>
>> Apart from the Portugese in Sambesi (Mozambique), colonialization started
>> in the 1850ies. The Boers started in the 1750ies, OK.

> Try not to post about things of which you know nothing.

Yeup, sista ! Let's talk Ebonics fa da sake offa brodas !

> West Africa had been carved up and colonized by the Dutch, English, and
> Germans
> by 1736.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4cle76

Where are the Germans in this map, sistah ?
Where is the date in this map, sistah ?
Where are the ****ing Arab Slave-Traders in this map, sistah ?
Where are the ****ing Negros selling their brothers into slavery, sistah ?

So, **** you ?

>> Otherwise, Deutsch-Südwestafrika came into being around 1908.
>> So, let's see : Roughly 100 years of colonialism. Compared to 50 years
>> of pumping money into Africa. We could have flushed the money down
>> the toilet with the same effect.
>> It's nice to see political correctness at work ...

> Whether or not any nation should give aid is another issue.

Exactly. I won't cry a tear about any dead child in Africa.

> You and others smugly jeer at the way these people are struggling to run
> their own nations, just to sneer. You're a pig.

And you're a stupid ****.

Clear enough for you ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 05 Apr 2008 10:54:14 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>According to the author of "When a Crocodile Eats the Sun" Mugabe
>was taking land from successful white farmers and giving it to
>"veterans" of the civil war, many of whom were too young to have
>even been around during the war, never mind being veterans of it.
>They new owners would move in and chase off the farmers, not even
>allowing them to harvest the crops that were ready to be reaped.
>Then the did nothing to the land. They did not farm it or even
>build on it. They just didn't want the white farmers to have their
>land. In some cases, the white farmers had bought the land from the
>Zimbabwean government after the war.
>
>They are the authors of their own misfortune. It is a seen typical
>of a number of countries in Africa. They were easily colonized
>because the people were in no position to fight them, often having
>so many tribal conflicts that they could not put up a united front,
>never mind fight a modern army. They prospered under white
>development programs but seemed envious of the advantaged whites and
>ended up seeking independence and black rule, and the common result
>is oppressive governments, bribery and corruption, a huge drop in
>their economies and more suffering for the people.
>
>Personally, I think we should take a lesson from the past. I live in
>a country that thrived as a colony and made great advances. Most of
>the major successful countries in the world share that background
>and enjoy the benefits. The others had their chance and they blew
>it. They deserve their current situation. Since they fought so
>hard to remove white westerners from power and pushed them out of
>the country I see no reason for westerners to bail them out.

All of the above is true, but wanting independence is natural
following colonization (i.e. USA). The major problem with Africa is
that Western civilization (the colonizers) have over 2000 years of
experience to draw upon. The native African states are less than 200
years out from exposure to any form of civilizing rule. It is the
same in the Middle East. You probably don't expect Iraq and Iran to
embrace Western-style democracy anytime soon, do you? Those
countries would not know what to do with it any more than most African
states - and South Pacific island states also if it comes to it.

One has to remember that the colonizers of Africa (and India)
exploited the native peoples and removed immense amounts of wealth
from those countries. In addition, South Africa set up a separatist
regime that denied the indigenous people the vote (disenfranchisement)
and passed laws so discriminatory that it took an international boycot
to force South Africa to dismantle it.

No excuses for what the African leaders have done to their respective
countries following independence - Zimbabwe in particular. It is
timely to remember that that country was once divided into Northern
and Southern Rhodesia. Rhodesia was named after Cecil Rhodes,
probably one of the most exploitive of all colonizers.

I feel there should be international support for reform in Zimbabwe
once Mugabe and his party are no longer in power. While there is
understandable sympathy for those westerners who were pushed out
during that despot's term in power, it would be somewhat spiteful if
those who could afford to make a difference (yes, Westerners probably)
were subject to lobbying to prevent such action.

You didn't mention what other world powers might be tempted to do in
that region of Africa should western nations continue to punish
Zimbabwe after Mugabe. China and the major Eastern bloc (Russia eg)
might look at western disinterest as a way to influence affairs in
Zimbabwe. That would be a pity. The country is not only
agriculturally fertile but there are also other natural resources like
minerals.

The Belgians absolutely pillaged the Congo (now Zaire), the British
(and Americans) systematically exploited Nigeria's oil (as they did in
Iran up to the mid 1950s) and one doesn't really want to revisit the
long drawn out wars of liberation from the French suffered in
countries like Algeria and Morocco.

And who says western-style democracy is to be emulated anyway?
Winston Churchill famously said that democracy was the worst form of
government except for all the rest.

The Golfer's Wife
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<The Golfer's Wife> wrote:

> And who says western-style democracy is to be emulated anyway?
> Winston Churchill famously said that democracy was the worst form of
> government except for all the rest.

[snip]

Quite nicely said.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The, Golfer's, Wife wrote:

> [...]

> You didn't mention what other world powers might be tempted to do in
> that region of Africa should western nations continue to punish
> Zimbabwe after Mugabe. China and the major Eastern bloc (Russia eg)
> might look at western disinterest as a way to influence affairs in
> Zimbabwe. That would be a pity. The country is not only
> agriculturally fertile but there are also other natural resources like
> minerals.
>
> The Belgians absolutely pillaged the Congo (now Zaire), the British
> (and Americans) systematically exploited Nigeria's oil (as they did in
> Iran up to the mid 1950s) and one doesn't really want to revisit the
> long drawn out wars of liberation from the French suffered in
> countries like Algeria and Morocco.
>
> And who says western-style democracy is to be emulated anyway?
> Winston Churchill famously said that democracy was the worst form of

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The, Golfer's, Wife wrote:

> >Personally, I think we should take a lesson from the past. I live in
> >a country that thrived as a colony and made great advances. Most of
> >the major successful countries in the world share that background
> >and enjoy the benefits. The others had their chance and they blew
> >it. They deserve their current situation. Since they fought so
> >hard to remove white westerners from power and pushed them out of
> >the country I see no reason for westerners to bail them out.
> >

> All of the above is true, but wanting independence is natural
> following colonization (i.e. USA).

The US is a different matter. It was not the native people who fought for
independence. It was the colonists, most of whom were English ancestry.
Canada, Australia and New Zealand all followed a peaceful path to
independence and maintained good relations with Britain.

> The major problem with Africa is
> that Western civilization (the colonizers) have over 2000 years of
> experience to draw upon. The native African states are less than 200
> years out from exposure to any form of civilizing rule. It is the
> same in the Middle East. You probably don't expect Iraq and Iran to
> embrace Western-style democracy anytime soon, do you? Those
> countries would not know what to do with it any more than most African
> states - and South Pacific island states also if it comes to it.

I cannot agree about the time periods of civilization. The Egyptians had a
civilized society thousands of years ago, long before the birth of modern
European civilization. The middle east has seen several civilizations
with huge empires that rose and fell. Most of Europe was a lawless land
with a lots of little war lords until the Romans attempted to civilize it.

> One has to remember that the colonizers of Africa (and India)
> exploited the native peoples and removed immense amounts of wealth
> from those countries.

They exploited them or they hired them? They had no jobs at all before
that.

> In addition, South Africa set up a separatist
> regime that denied the indigenous people the vote (disenfranchisement)
> and passed laws so discriminatory that it took an international boycot
> to force South Africa to dismantle it.

Rhodesia was guilty of that too, but as pointed out, Rhodesia became one
of the most prosperous countries on the continent. Perhaps it is a case
of having to be careful what you ask for, because the country has been in
steady decline since black rule, which is every bit as racist as white
rule. One seems to have worked better for the people than the other. The
outcome appears to have justified the concerns of the whites who had been
running things much better than the current regime.

> No excuses for what the African leaders have done to their respective
> countries following independence - Zimbabwe in particular. It is
> timely to remember that that country was once divided into Northern
> and Southern Rhodesia. Rhodesia was named after Cecil Rhodes,
> probably one of the most exploitive of all colonizers.
>
> I feel there should be international support for reform in Zimbabwe
> once Mugabe and his party are no longer in power.

They don't need reform. They need to abide by some form of law and order
and not the whims of a dictator, a system that has been propped up by
years of foreign aid, almost all of which ended up in the hands of the
ruling party.

> You didn't mention what other world powers might be tempted to do in
> that region of Africa should western nations continue to punish
> Zimbabwe after Mugabe. China and the major Eastern bloc (Russia eg)
> might look at western disinterest as a way to influence affairs in
> Zimbabwe. That would be a pity. The country is not only
> agriculturally fertile but there are also other natural resources like
> minerals.

That has been an ongoing problem for years. Some major western powers have
a habit of backing any regime, regardless how oppressive they may be, so
long as they are anti communist.

> The Belgians absolutely pillaged the Congo (now Zaire), the British
> (and Americans) systematically exploited Nigeria's oil (as they did in
> Iran up to the mid 1950s) and one doesn't really want to revisit the
> long drawn out wars of liberation from the French suffered in
> countries like Algeria and Morocco.

The Belgians did have a pretty bad record of colonialism, as did the
Germans, but I did point out that British colonialism has led to the
establishment of some of the most successful countries in the world.

> And who says western-style democracy is to be emulated anyway?
> Winston Churchill famously said that democracy was the worst form of
> government except for all the rest.

That was a somewhat witty comment, and it certainly does not condemn
democracy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 02:00:21 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
wrote:

>"James Silverton" > wrote in newsmTJj.180
>$_I1.33@trnddc02:
>

>> ??>>>>
>> ??>>
>> ??>> Posssibly even they are hungry!
>> ??>>
>> c> FWIW, I find your comments, along with Peter's an Morrons,
>> c> really offensive. Like people colonized for hundreds of
>> c> years have a chance at starting out well governing
>> c> themselves. And furthermore, **** you, you racist assholes.
>>
>> Here we go again! I was born in Britain in the last century so I
>> am responsible for Cromwell's Drogheda massacre in the
>> seventeenth century even if four of my great grandparents said
>> they were Irish.
>>

>Don't mind cyber****...... it must be that time of the month again!!

i'm not on the rag, but i find the 'ignorant junglebunnies' subtext
quite offensive as well. apparently, your mileage varies.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 17:22:25 +1200, The Golfer's Wife wrote:

>And who says western-style democracy is to be emulated anyway?
>Winston Churchill famously said that democracy was the worst form of
>government except for all the rest.
>

>The Golfer's Wife

if the u.s. elects john mccain after the eight-year ****-up-a-thon and
theft festival of the bush administration, i'd be inclined to agree.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
news
> On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 02:00:21 +0000 (UTC), PeterL >
> wrote:
>
>>"James Silverton" > wrote in newsmTJj.180
>>$_I1.33@trnddc02:
>>

>>> ??>>>>
>>> ??>>
>>> ??>> Posssibly even they are hungry!
>>> ??>>
>>> c> FWIW, I find your comments, along with Peter's an Morrons,
>>> c> really offensive. Like people colonized for hundreds of
>>> c> years have a chance at starting out well governing
>>> c> themselves. And furthermore, **** you, you racist assholes.
>>>
>>> Here we go again! I was born in Britain in the last century so I
>>> am responsible for Cromwell's Drogheda massacre in the
>>> seventeenth century even if four of my great grandparents said
>>> they were Irish.
>>>

>>Don't mind cyber****...... it must be that time of the month again!!

> i'm not on the rag, but i find the 'ignorant junglebunnies' subtext
> quite offensive as well. apparently, your mileage varies.

Nothing like these fat ****ing American and Australian lumps of lard sitting
on their cottage cheese asses laughing at the follies of the little darkies.

And what a surprise that this single-eyebrowed, knuckle-dragging, provincial
lout named Peter Pukus would attribute a woman's objection to his
piggishness to being "on the rag."

Yes, I am on the rag, Peter. I'm on the one that I would love to see stuffed
down
your boorish throat until your piggy, racist eyes bug out.

But I am just a dreamer, and this is but a normal sunday, with blueberry
pancakes for brunch, and a fresh pot of Kona in the carafe.

P.S.--Hi Blake. I had to respond this way because I have asswipe killfiled.
*taking a sandlewood-scented hankie from my bodice and tucking it under your
collar*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 17:22:25 +1200, The Golfer's Wife wrote:
>>
>>And who says western-style democracy is to be emulated anyway?
>>Winston Churchill famously said that democracy was the worst form of
>>government except for all the rest.
>>

>>The Golfer's Wife

> if the u.s. elects john mccain after the eight-year ****-up-a-thon and
> theft festival of the bush administration, i'd be inclined to agree.
>
> your pal,
> blake

After Jr. bush was elected for the second term, I was Astounded by the
amount of Idiots and Lemmings that voted for him.... Twice.

Can we be That out of touch to enough to elect another Repub?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 09:59:38 -0700, "Mike"
> wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 17:22:25 +1200, The Golfer's Wife wrote:
>>>
>>>And who says western-style democracy is to be emulated anyway?
>>>Winston Churchill famously said that democracy was the worst form of
>>>government except for all the rest.
>>>

>>>The Golfer's Wife

>> if the u.s. elects john mccain after the eight-year ****-up-a-thon and
>> theft festival of the bush administration, i'd be inclined to agree.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>>

>After Jr. bush was elected for the second term, I was Astounded by the
>amount of Idiots and Lemmings that voted for him.... Twice.
>
>Can we be That out of touch to enough to elect another Repub?

if the mainstream media continues to have a hard-on for the
straight-talkin' maverick no matter what kind of rubbish is actually
coming out of his mouth, it's entirely possible. especially if he's
running against that scary black man's pastor.

your pal,
blake