Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ham juice

That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use? Whaddaya
think?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
> call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use? Whaddaya
> think?

Using as a broth under a steamer to cook potatoes and other veggies?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
> call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use? Whaddaya
> think?

Sounds like it would be good as cooking water for dried beans or perhaps
barley on the way to becoming a soup with some diced leftover ham,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 30 Mar 2008 07:44:50p, Pete C. told us...

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
>> call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use? Whaddaya
>> think?

> Sounds like it would be good as cooking water for dried beans or perhaps
> barley on the way to becoming a soup with some diced leftover ham,

And if it's too salty, it can always be diluted with water or other non-
salty liquid.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 03(III)/30(XXX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
> call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use? Whaddaya
> think?

I just saved some leftover am broth for use with beans (lima, pinto,
black, red). Also good for cooking most any sort of vegetable.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> That ham I heated �gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
> call it. �It's pretty salty. �Does it have a practical use? � Whaddaya
> think?

That's a saline injected ham. That liquid contains salt and cure
(nitrites), your body doesn't need it, do yourself a big favor and
toss it... using that liquid is tantamount to consuming the nasty
water from boiling tube steaks. If you want ham in a recipe use some
of the ham you have that now contains less cure chemicals. But if it
gave up three cups of liquid it's not a very good ham.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
> call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use? Whaddaya
> think?

Freeze it. Use it to flavor dried beans, etc. (but be careful about the
salt)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote in news:47F07506.F51BDA20
@sonic.net:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you
>> want to call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use?
>> Whaddaya think?

> Very bad idea. It contains nitrate and nitrite curing
> salts which react with other food you eat to form
> powerful carcinogens.
>
> Of course, if you smoke tobacco, the relative risk
> is not very significant. If you're a smoker,
> go ahead and use it for whatever seems right.
> You'll die soon enough, and probably not from
> colon cancer.

Everyone dies eventually. Smokers are well aware of how bad it is for
them, you know....

Saerah
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you
>> want to call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use?
>> Whaddaya think?

> Very bad idea. It contains nitrate and nitrite curing
> salts which react with other food you eat to form
> powerful carcinogens.

This is getting pretty pathetic, Mark. There's nothing worse than
somebody running around like Chicken Little harping on people for
the foods they choose to eat (or the cigarettes they smoke).

It really makes you an unpleasant person to not have in the
killfile.

You can go ahead and try and justify your unsolicited comments to
yourself all you want, but to the rest of us you just come off as a
royal asshole.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you
> want to call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use?
> Whaddaya think?

Very bad idea. It contains nitrate and nitrite curing
salts which react with other food you eat to form
powerful carcinogens.

Of course, if you smoke tobacco, the relative risk
is not very significant. If you're a smoker,
go ahead and use it for whatever seems right.
You'll die soon enough, and probably not from
colon cancer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote:

> If you want ham in a recipe use some
> of the ham you have that now contains less cure chemicals.

The ham itself contains significantly more nitrites than stock make
from the ham. Think about it, dumbass.

Also ham contains sodium eyrthobate which deactivates the nitrites
from forming nitrosamines, making it prefectly safe to eat.

You and Mark need to go take a hike with all this preaching
nonsense.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
> call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use? Whaddaya
> think?
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
> Pray for the abatement of her pain.

What kind of ham did you heat, and how? How did you end up with three cups?
I always make ham stock with leftover ham bones to make the next ham's
raisin sauce and for ham and......soup! I can't imagine how even heating a
whole water added ham would yield three cups of liquid. If it did, I would
save it and use it.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> Sheldon > wrote:
>>
>>> If you want ham in a recipe use some
>>> of the ham you have that now contains less cure chemicals.

>> The ham itself contains significantly more nitrites than stock make
>> from the ham. Think about it, dumbass.
>>
>> Also ham contains sodium eyrthobate which deactivates the nitrites
>> from forming nitrosamines, making it prefectly safe to eat.

> Can you cite a source for this?

You've already seen it, and you blew it off.
http://www.askthemeatman.com/how_and...um_nitrite.htm

> I cite references when I assert facts.

You cite cryptic and misleading bullshit.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 02:58:22 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sun 30 Mar 2008 07:44:50p, Pete C. told us...
>

>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>>
>>> That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
>>> call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use? Whaddaya
>>> think?

>> Sounds like it would be good as cooking water for dried beans or perhaps
>> barley on the way to becoming a soup with some diced leftover ham,
>>

>And if it's too salty, it can always be diluted with water or other non-
>salty liquid.

and cook beans in it

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Sheldon > wrote:
>
> > If you want ham in a recipe use some
> > of the ham you have that now contains less cure chemicals.

> The ham itself contains significantly more nitrites than stock make
> from the ham. Think about it, dumbass.
>
> Also ham contains sodium eyrthobate which deactivates the nitrites
> from forming nitrosamines, making it prefectly safe to eat.

Can you cite a source for this? I cite references
when I assert facts.

> You and Mark need to go take a hike with all this preaching
> nonsense.

In God we trust, everybody else bring data.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> > Can you cite a source for this?

> You've already seen it, and you blew it off.
> http://www.askthemeatman.com/how_and...um_nitrite.htm
>
> > I cite references when I assert facts.

> You cite cryptic and misleading bullshit.

If by "blew it off" you mean I cited scientific
literature that demonstrates this site is full of malarkey
that paints a false picture of the risk, I certainly
did that.

Quoting the web site:

$ Does nitrite cause childhood cancers or leukemia?
$
$ No, there is no credible scientific evidence that
$ nitrite or cured foods cause or contribute
$ to childhood cancers or leukemia. At one time,
$ epidemiological reports associating these
$ factors garnered much media attention. However,
$ these studies had limitations, mixed
$ findings and, as all epidemiological studies,
$ could not prove cause and effect.

$ How are NOCs formed?
$
$ NOCs, including nitrosamines and nitrosamides,
$ are formed by a process called
$ N-nitrosation. With the presence of nitrite,
$ this process can take place in the human
$ stomach. (Because nitrosamines are much more
$ stable after food processing than
$ nitrosamides, they are of greater potential
$ concern.)

Here's much more credible information on childhood
cancers and the difference between nitrosamines
and nitrosamides:

Cancer Causes Control. 2005 Aug;16(6):619-35.
A review: dietary and endogenously formed N-nitroso
compounds and risk of childhood brain tumors.
Dietrich M, Block G, Pogoda JM, Buffler P,
Hecht S, Preston-Martin S.
School of Public Health, University of
California-Berkeley, Berkeley, CA 94720-7360, USA.

Maternal dietary exposure to N-nitroso compounds
(NOC) or to their precursors during
pregnancy has been associated with risk of
childhood brain tumors. Cured meat is one source of
exposure to dietary NOC and their precursors.
Most epidemiological studies that have examined
the role of maternal consumption of cured meats
during pregnancy have found a significant
positive association between maternal intake
of cured meat and the risk of childhood brain tumor
(CBT). NOC consist of two main groups,
N-nitrosamines and N-nitrosamides. The
carcinogenicity profiles of NOC suggest that
N-nitrosamides rather than N-nitrosamines are the
compounds that may be associated with CBT
and that they should be investigated more closely
in epidemiological studies. We present a review
of the chemical and carcinogenic properties of
NOC in connection with the findings of case-control
studies. This approach may be helpful in
determining the essential information that
must be collected in future epidemiological studies on
CBT.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
> call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use? Whaddaya
> think?
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Back in Wisconsin, we always thinned it with the water from cooking potatoes
and made gravy with it. The left over gravy was used for soups and beans.
What do they do with it in MN?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kent" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to

> What kind of ham did you heat, and how? How did you end up with three cups?
> I always make ham stock with leftover ham bones to make the next ham's
> raisin sauce and for ham and......soup! I can't imagine how even heating a
> whole water added ham would yield three cups of liquid. If it did, I would
> save it and use it.
>
> Kent

Hi, Kent - I was following label directions (that's different!) -- a
Hormel spiral-sliced ham, heat-and-eat, 11#. Ten minutes per pound at
275 degrees, *covered tightly with foil*. I covered it and sealed the
foil around the pan. Two hours later I poured off the "drippings"
(Drippings? What a joke -- it was juice, pure and simple, with a layer
of fat atop) glazed it with the stuff

I ended up with three cups because the heating released that much and
the foil cover retained it. I have saved it in anticipation of
replies. :-0)

Thanks for the response.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Pray for the abatement of her pain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
> > call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use? Whaddaya
> > think?

> Freeze it. Use it to flavor dried beans, etc. (but be careful about the
> salt)

In light of today's weather forecast, I'm about to make a run for milk
(I'm almost out) and maybe a package of 13-bean mix for zoop and some
rye flour for another batch of dough.

Off topic: I don't usually bitch about the weather but I'm really
getting tired of this shit. Rob's got pneumonia and has camped out in
the living room with his school stuff instead of in his office. I
should've stayed in DC for another five days. Or gone to NY instead of
here.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Pray for the abatement of her pain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
> > call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use? Whaddaya
> > think?

> I just saved some leftover am broth for use with beans (lima, pinto,
> black, red). Also good for cooking most any sort of vegetable.
>
> -sw

Oooh, I hadn't thought about using for a vegetable liquid. Green beans
appeal.

I'm thinking I'm going to flex my creative side and do something new to
me that y'all have probably been doing all your lives and will scoff at.
Now I gotta find somebody to feed.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Pray for the abatement of her pain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
> > call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use? Whaddaya
> > think?

> Sounds like it would be good as cooking water for dried beans or perhaps
> barley on the way to becoming a soup with some diced leftover ham,

Thanks, Pete. Beans have more appeal to me for it than barley does.
Elaborate on the soup idea, please. I've got a boatload of leftover
ham.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Pray for the abatement of her pain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 4>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >>
> >> That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
> >> call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use? Whaddaya
> >> think?

> And if it's too salty, it can always be diluted with water or other non-
> salty liquid.

Y'think? "-)

(Sorry, this f'ing Eternal Winter is beginning to take its toll on me,
Wayne.)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Pray for the abatement of her pain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
> > call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use? Whaddaya
> > think?

> Using as a broth under a steamer to cook potatoes and other veggies?

Potatoes? Red-skins? Huh. "That's different." (Did I ever give you a
book, "How to Talk Minnesotan"? There's an explanation of what "that's
different" means. "-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Pray for the abatement of her pain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> "Pete C." > wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > >
> > > That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
> > > call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use? Whaddaya
> > > think?

> > Sounds like it would be good as cooking water for dried beans or perhaps
> > barley on the way to becoming a soup with some diced leftover ham,

> Thanks, Pete. Beans have more appeal to me for it than barley does.
> Elaborate on the soup idea, please. I've got a boatload of leftover
> ham.

No particular ideas on the soup beyond the ham brine being a good way to
get some flavor and salt into the beans. When I make soup I tend to just
dig through what I have on hand and go with what sounds good. Ham,
beans, perhaps some carrots, celery, onions, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael \"Dog3\" wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > dropped this
> : in
> rec.food.cooking

> >> And if it's too salty, it can always be diluted with water or other
> >> non- salty liquid.

> > Y'think? "-)
> >
> > (Sorry, this f'ing Eternal Winter is beginning to take its toll on me,
> > Wayne.)

> You're not the lone ranger. I'm not my usual, pleasant self either these
> days.

I want the global warming I was promised...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 31 Mar 2008 06:13:49a, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article 4>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

Whaddaya

>> And if it's too salty, it can always be diluted with water or other non-
>> salty liquid.

> Y'think? "-)
>
> (Sorry, this f'ing Eternal Winter is beginning to take its toll on me,
> Wayne.)

Luckily, as you know, I am not affected by Eternal Winter, although it can
get a bit chilly for my taste at night. But wait...'til the 115° summers
come. It will fry my brain. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 03(III)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote in
6.121:

> I sealed up 4 seperate packages of ham slices and froze 'em. We had
> so much ham left over from Easter. Steven brought home a whole ham. He
> doesn't eat ham. Never send the SO to the store ;^/
>
> Michael

make him a pizza with ham on it...to teach him a lesson. A joke.

When I was married we used to eat ham and tater salad as a celibitory
dinner for my son's birthday...every one in the family can and does enjoy
ham and potato salad and will eat it for many meals in a row. Plus the
left over ham (if any) works well in green salads, the kind that are
clean the fridge out. Works well chopped and mixed into rice and also in
macoroni and cheese. Even added to Ramen noodles ham works well.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in news:2M6Ij.26589$Ch6.15033
@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net:

> I want the global warming I was promised...

It has snowed up here for the last 3 days...stop bitching, April is coming.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 31, 5:03*am, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> > That ham I heated *gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, [snip]

> .....-- a
> Hormel spiral-sliced ham, heat-and-eat, 11#. *Ten minutes per pound at
> 275 degrees, *covered tightly with foil*. *I covered it and sealed the
> foil around the pan. *Two hours later I poured off the "drippings" *
> (Drippings? *What a joke -- it was juice, pure and simple, with a layer
> of fat atop) glazed it with the stuff [snip]

[[[Rant mode ON]]]
Why am I not surprised to learn it was a Hormel product? I looked at
one of their pork tenderloins a while ago and it contained "up to 30
percent" of saline injection. Thirty percent! $4+ per pound for salt
water! If they have pork or ham that is so raunchy and tough and
tasteless that it could actually * benefit* from 30 effing percent of
water then they shouldn't try to sell it in the first place. In your
current position I wouldn't want to use the salt water that drained
out, not because of vague heath concerns but out of indignation. I'd
rather put it in a jar and take it back to the store and ask them to
find another pork purveyor.......
[[[Rant mode OFF,you may return to your regular viewing pleasure
now]]] -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 31 Mar 2008 06:41:49a, Michael "Dog3" told us...

> Melba's Jammin' > dropped this
> : in
> rec.food.cooking

>>> And if it's too salty, it can always be diluted with water or other
>>> non- salty liquid.

>> Y'think? "-)
>>
>> (Sorry, this f'ing Eternal Winter is beginning to take its toll on me,
>> Wayne.)

> You're not the lone ranger. I'm not my usual, pleasant self either these
> days.
>
> Michael

Who would be, with the weather you've been having? I know I wouldn't be.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 03(III)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
7wks 6dys 16hrs
A beautiful woman will enrich your
life soon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-03-31, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Thanks, Pete. Beans have more appeal to me for it than barley does.

Save the barely for making beer.

> Elaborate on the soup idea, please. I've got a boatload of leftover
> ham.

Didn't I just post about this and was chastised severely about the head and
shoulders?

dejavubob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet Bostwick" > wrote:

> Back in Wisconsin, we always thinned it with the water from cooking potatoes
> and made gravy with it. The left over gravy was used for soups and beans.
> What do they do with it in MN?
> Janet

I'll let you know in a couple hours. "-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Pray for the abatement of her pain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
> call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use? Whaddaya
> think?

Call it ham broth and use it for bean or pea soup.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"Pete C." > wrote:

> Michael \"Dog3\" wrote:
> >
> > Melba's Jammin' > dropped this

> > > (Sorry, this f'ing Eternal Winter is beginning to take its toll on me,
> > > Wayne.)

> > You're not the lone ranger. I'm not my usual, pleasant self either these
> > days.

> I want the global warming I was promised...

LOL!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Pray for the abatement of her pain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-03-31, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, whatever you want to
> call it. It's pretty salty. Does it have a practical use? Whaddaya
> think?

I think this is a troll.

C'mon Barb ...you expect rfc to actually believe you don't know what to do
with ham juice? ...that the Pickling Princess is at a loss over salt.

You're ahead of yourself, girl. April Fools Day is tomorrow.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote

wrote:

> > That ham I heated gave up 3 cups of broth/juice, [snip]

> .....-- a
>> Hormel spiral-sliced ham, heat-and-eat, 11#. Ten minutes per pound at
>> 275 degrees, *covered tightly with foil*. I covered it and sealed the
>> foil around the pan. Two hours later I poured off the "drippings"
>> (Drippings? What a joke -- it was juice, pure and simple, with a layer
>> of fat atop) glazed it with the stuff [snip]

>[[[Rant mode ON]]]
>Why am I not surprised to learn it was a Hormel product? I looked at
>one of their pork tenderloins a while ago and it contained "up to 30
>percent" of saline injection. Thirty percent!

It's not just Hormel. Those Cook's ham slices are the same.

Having said that, what exactly is that? Just water and salt? Why do
I think there's some other chemical preservative that I wouldn't
want to use for cooking vegetables? I would pour it down the
drain.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 31 Mar 2008 06:41:49a, Michael "Dog3" told us...
>
>> Melba's Jammin' > dropped this
>> : in
>> rec.food.cooking

>>> Y'think? "-)
>>>
>>> (Sorry, this f'ing Eternal Winter is beginning to take its toll on me,
>>> Wayne.)

>> You're not the lone ranger. I'm not my usual, pleasant self either these
>> days.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Who would be, with the weather you've been having? I know I wouldn't be.

Move south people. Here in SW Louisiana it is currently 75F, bright
sunshine, and a nice breeze. This is our spring, in another month it
will be 95-105, humidity of 96% or higher, and little or no wind.

The poppies, amaryllis, and Louisiana iris are blooming, the fruit trees
are setting fruit and everyone who gardens is putting in their vegetable
gardens are already has them up and blooming.

March and April, plus late September and early October are the only
decent months we have here. The rest of the time it's just hot and
sweltering except in the winter when it gets down as low as the low
thirties and we all wear our woolies.

OB: Pork loin medallions, fresh green peas, freshly baked bread, and
some roasted potatoes for dinner tonight.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:13:49 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article 4>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>> And if it's too salty, it can always be diluted with water or other non-
>> salty liquid.

>Y'think? "-)
>
>(Sorry, this f'ing Eternal Winter is beginning to take its toll on me,
>Wayne.)

but in august, you can gloat. maybe.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:20:37 GMT, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> In article >,

>> > Sounds like it would be good as cooking water for dried beans or perhaps
>> > barley on the way to becoming a soup with some diced leftover ham,

>> Thanks, Pete. Beans have more appeal to me for it than barley does.
>> Elaborate on the soup idea, please. I've got a boatload of leftover
>> ham.

>No particular ideas on the soup beyond the ham brine being a good way to
>get some flavor and salt into the beans. When I make soup I tend to just
>dig through what I have on hand and go with what sounds good. Ham,
>beans, perhaps some carrots, celery, onions, etc.

my dad puts whole black peppercorns in his. 'it gives you a nice
surprise when you bite down on one,' he says.

i don't go that far, but i use a lot of coarsely ground black pepper
and a bay leaf, onion and lotsa ham. it's more a ham stew with beans
than a soup. i'll post details if you'd like.

your pal,
blake