Peggy

Default Defining chili??

We've recently heard about chile verdi on this list. There's chile with
beans, turkey chile, cashew chile, vegetarian chile, etc. What,
exactly, defines something as a chile?

Peg (in a hot quandary in the beautiful Finger Lakes)

Peter Aitken

"Peggy" > wrote in message
> We've recently heard about chile verdi on this list. There's chile with
> beans, turkey chile, cashew chile, vegetarian chile, etc. What,
> exactly, defines something as a chile?
>
> Peg (in a hot quandary in the beautiful Finger Lakes)

You may be starting a small war! Some people have a religious fervor when it
comes to what is allowed in chili and what is not. I think that's rather
silly. To me and many others, chili is a stew or thick soup whose main
flavor comes from chili powder. To paraphrase a Supreme Court justice's
comment on obscenity, "I can't define chili but I know it when I taste it."

--
Peter Aitken

Dimitri

"Peggy" > wrote in message
> We've recently heard about chile verdi on this list. There's chile with
> beans, turkey chile, cashew chile, vegetarian chile, etc. What,
> exactly, defines something as a chile?
>
> Peg (in a hot quandary in the beautiful Finger Lakes)

A spicy stew which uses any variety of capsicum either in fresh or powdered
form.

Dimitri

Steve Wertz

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:52:33 -0400, Peggy
> wrote:

>We've recently heard about chile verdi on this list. There's chile with
>beans, turkey chile, cashew chile, vegetarian chile, etc. What,
>exactly, defines something as a chile?

An enlongated country in South America.

Chili (or chilli) is a stew or soup whos predominant flavor comes from
chiles.

-sw
Frogleg

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:26:27 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Peggy" > wrote

>> We've recently heard about chile verdi on this list. There's chile with
>> beans, turkey chile, cashew chile, vegetarian chile, etc. What,
>> exactly, defines something as a chile?

>A spicy stew which uses any variety of capsicum either in fresh or powdered
>form.

Amen. As I recently posted in another group, chile/chilli/chilie
discussions have been the longest wrangles in usenet history.
Dimitri's definition covers it nicely.

Peter Aitken

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:26:27 GMT, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Peggy" > wrote

> >> We've recently heard about chile verdi on this list. There's chile

with
> >> beans, turkey chile, cashew chile, vegetarian chile, etc. What,
> >> exactly, defines something as a chile?

> >A spicy stew which uses any variety of capsicum either in fresh or

powdered
> >form.

> Amen. As I recently posted in another group, chile/chilli/chilie
> discussions have been the longest wrangles in usenet history.
> Dimitri's definition covers it nicely.

I am not sure this definition is any good. It would include many Hungarian
dishes that use paprika, Spanish dishes that use smoked, dried, powdered
peppers, etc. It would also include a lot of Chinese dishes, particularly
those from Szechuan and Hunam. I can't offer anything better, though.

Peter G. Aitken

WardNA

>What,
>>exactly, defines something as a chile?

>An enlongated country in South America.
>
>Chili (or chilli) is a stew or soup

Actually "chile," spelled and pronounced that way, is used to mean what we
might call "hot sauce" in Central America.

Neil
WardNA

>I am not sure this definition is any good. It would include many Hungarian
>dishes that use paprika, Spanish dishes that use smoked, dried, powdered
>peppers, etc. It would also include a lot of Chinese dishes, particularly
>those from Szechuan and Hunam.

These qualifiers may help: should have onion and tomato. Must not have wine.

Neil
Jeff Bienstadt

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "Frogleg" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:26:27 GMT, "Dimitri" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"Peggy" > wrote

> with

>> >A spicy stew which uses any variety of capsicum either in fresh or

> powdered
>> >form.

>> Amen. As I recently posted in another group, chile/chilli/chilie
>> discussions have been the longest wrangles in usenet history.
>> Dimitri's definition covers it nicely.

> I am not sure this definition is any good. It would include many Hungarian
> dishes that use paprika, Spanish dishes that use smoked, dried, powdered
> peppers, etc. It would also include a lot of Chinese dishes, particularly
> those from Szechuan and Hunam. I can't offer anything better, though.
>
> Peter G. Aitken

Well, to be precise, Dimitri's definition said "*A* spicy stew...", not
"*Any* spicy stew...".

---jkb

--
"Damn you, brocolli!"
-- Stewie Griffin

Arri London

Dimitri wrote:

> "Peggy" > wrote in message
> > We've recently heard about chile verdi on this list. There's chile with
> > beans, turkey chile, cashew chile, vegetarian chile, etc. What,
> > exactly, defines something as a chile?
> >
> > Peg (in a hot quandary in the beautiful Finger Lakes)

> A spicy stew which uses any variety of capsicum either in fresh or powdered
> form.
>
> Dimitri

Um...sweet bell peppers are capsicums too.
So a dish with black pepper and sweet bell peppers in it is chile in
your kitchen?

Arri London

WardNA wrote:

> >What,
> >>exactly, defines something as a chile?

> >An enlongated country in South America.
> >
> >Chili (or chilli) is a stew or soup

> Actually "chile," spelled and pronounced that way, is used to mean what we
> might call "hot sauce" in Central America.
>
> Neil

It also means the stew as well as the fruit in the Southwest. The hot
sauce alone wouldn't qualify as 'chile' around here.
Peter Aitken

"Jeff Bienstadt" > wrote in message
> Peter Aitken wrote:
>
> > "Frogleg" > wrote in message

> > with

> > powdered
> >>
> >> Amen. As I recently posted in another group, chile/chilli/chilie
> >> discussions have been the longest wrangles in usenet history.
> >> Dimitri's definition covers it nicely.

> > I am not sure this definition is any good. It would include many

Hungarian
> > dishes that use paprika, Spanish dishes that use smoked, dried, powdered
> > peppers, etc. It would also include a lot of Chinese dishes,

particularly
> > those from Szechuan and Hunam. I can't offer anything better, though.
> >
> > Peter G. Aitken

> Well, to be precise, Dimitri's definition said "*A* spicy stew...", not
> "*Any* spicy stew...".

Well, to be precise, that's a description and not a definition. There is a
difference, and it was the latter that was requested..

Peter G. Aitken

A.T. Hagan

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:59:35 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>"Frogleg" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 17:26:27 GMT, "Dimitri" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"Peggy" > wrote

>with

>> >A spicy stew which uses any variety of capsicum either in fresh or

>powdered
>> >form.

>> Amen. As I recently posted in another group, chile/chilli/chilie
>> discussions have been the longest wrangles in usenet history.
>> Dimitri's definition covers it nicely.

>I am not sure this definition is any good. It would include many Hungarian
>dishes that use paprika, Spanish dishes that use smoked, dried, powdered
>peppers, etc. It would also include a lot of Chinese dishes, particularly
>those from Szechuan and Hunam. I can't offer anything better, though.
>
>Peter G. Aitken

And therein lies the problem. I can't come up with a better one
either even though I don't like Dmitri's definition. Much too
inclusive, but it's better than the alternative.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
Mark

Alex Rast wrote:

> Since this definition has had a few loopholes found in it, how about the
> following modification:

All this Chile talk has me wanting to make a concoction of fried spiced
meat, cheese sauce and wok toasted corn, onions and vegetables
consolidated in a double boiler.

Oh My

modom

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:52:33 -0400, Peggy
> wrote:

>We've recently heard about chile verdi on this list. There's chile with
>beans, turkey chile, cashew chile, vegetarian chile, etc. What,
>exactly, defines something as a chile?
>
>Peg (in a hot quandary in the beautiful Finger Lakes)

Chile is not the same as chili.

Check: http://www.guidelive.com/profile/103965

Or better check:
http://www.texascooking.com/recipes/...lbertchili.htm

Or better yet, check: http://www.abowlofred.com/

Or even better read Tolbert's book in the topic.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...91902?v=glance

One has one's opinions about most stuff, but regarding God and chili
there is little room to wiggle.

modom

"My baby's got no clothes
'Cause she's makin' chicken soup."

-- Chuck E. Weiss
Blair P. Houghton

Peggy > wrote:
>We've recently heard about chile verdi on this list. There's chile with
>beans, turkey chile, cashew chile, vegetarian chile, etc. What,
>exactly, defines something as a chile?

It's got chili flavor in it.

Real chili is meat, chile powder, cumin, salt, heat, and a fork.
Anything else you add to it is your own fault.

--Blair
"I feel a spelling lesson coming on."
WardNA

>meat, chile powder, cumin, salt, heat, and a fork.
>Anything else you add to it is your own fault.

chile/chili powder and cumin are decidedly optional
zxcvbob

Blair P. Houghton wrote:

> Peggy > wrote:
>
>>We've recently heard about chile verdi on this list. There's chile with
>>beans, turkey chile, cashew chile, vegetarian chile, etc. What,
>>exactly, defines something as a chile?

> It's got chili flavor in it.
>
> Real chili is meat, chile powder, cumin, salt, heat, and a fork.
> Anything else you add to it is your own fault.
>
> --Blair
> "I feel a spelling lesson coming on."

Cumin is definately not necessary. I frequently use a *little* cumin, but
often do not use it. I seldom use chili powder (or chile powder). I use
whole dried red chiles if I'm makin' red chili, and fresh green chiles if
I'm makin' green chili. (I don't make green very often for lack of good
fresh or frozen peppers.)

I always add salt, but I hardly think it is mandatory.

Vegetarians make chili without meat. (not easy to do and have it taste good)

I think some form of chile peppers is the only mandatory ingredient, plus
whatever stuff the cook deems necessary to make a rich stew.

Best regards,
Bob

CaptCook

Arri London wrote ...
> ROTFL! How can chiles (in any form) be optional in chili/chile?

All this can be settled by reading H. Allen Smith's book 'The Great Chili
Confrontation'.

modom

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 08:38:57 -0700, Arri London >
wrote:

>WardNA wrote:
>>
>> >meat, chile powder, cumin, salt, heat, and a fork.
>> >Anything else you add to it is your own fault.

>> chile/chili powder and cumin are decidedly optional

>ROTFL! How can chiles (in any form) be optional in chili/chile?

Maybe there's a substitute? Celery, perhaps?

modom

http://koyote.com/users/modom/home.html
Bring a sandwich and relax.
WardNA

>> chile/chili powder and cumin are decidedly optional
>
>ROTFL! How can chiles (in any form) be optional in chili/chile?

They aren't. It's the "powder" form that's optional.

Blair P. Houghton

Rodney Myrvaagnes > wrote:
>Meat is optional. It is called Chili con Carne when it has meat in it.

Meat is not optional. "Chili con Carne" is the invention
of people who wanted to legitimize meatless chili.

--Blair
"Real artificial flavors."
Blair P. Houghton

modom > wrote:
>Or better yet, check: http://www.abowlofred.com/

Just to make it clear:

http://www.abowlofred.com/Tolbert_Rules.shtml
"No beans, pasta, rice, or other similar items are allowed."

I.e., Make it "optionally" and get DQ'ed.

>One has one's opinions about most stuff, but regarding God and chili
>there is little room to wiggle.

There is no God and chili contains no beans.

--Blair
"Just ate chili-grilled shrimp."
modom

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 22:11:08 GMT, Blair P. Houghton > wrote:

>modom > wrote:
>>Or better yet, check: http://www.abowlofred.com/

>Just to make it clear:
>
>http://www.abowlofred.com/Tolbert_Rules.shtml
>"No beans, pasta, rice, or other similar items are allowed."
>
>I.e., Make it "optionally" and get DQ'ed.
>
>>One has one's opinions about most stuff, but regarding God and chili
>>there is little room to wiggle.

>There is no God and chili contains no beans.

You allow no wiggle room even for Anselm's ontological argument? It's
one of my all-time favorites. As far as beans go, well I like beans.
I like fish. I like ice cream, too. Not one of them is chili,
though. And fish ice cream with bean sauce is right out.

> --Blair
> "Just ate chili-grilled shrimp."

Chile-grilled?

modom

http://koyote.com/users/modom/home.html
Bring a sandwich and relax.
Blair P. Houghton

modom > wrote:
>> --Blair
>> "Just ate chili-grilled shrimp."

>Chile-grilled?

Cook's Illustrated's book about the "Best" ways of grilling
various things has a few recipes for grilled shrimp, and
this was the simple one with just chiles (hot paprika,
in my case), lemon (I substituted lime), garlic (hand
pulverized), salt, and oil. Works best with deveined
split-shell shrimp. Super simple and super delicious.

--Blair
"YMMV."