Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Popcorn Prices Surge Because Of Ethanol

More bad news caused by U.S. ethanol policy:

http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/radio...,5552138.story

Ethanol is a net energy consumer, not a green
replacement for oil. Ethanol policy is driven
by corrupt politicians in the pocket of
agribusiness. Higher prices are a nuisance
to Americans, but they're killing Mexican
peasants, where corn is a staple food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> More bad news caused by U.S. ethanol policy:
>
> http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/radio...,5552138.story
>
> Ethanol is a net energy consumer, not a green
> replacement for oil. Ethanol policy is driven
> by corrupt politicians in the pocket of
> agribusiness. Higher prices are a nuisance
> to Americans, but they're killing Mexican
> peasants, where corn is a staple food.

And this surprises you how?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:43:20 -0400, George Cebulka >
wrote:

>Mark Thorson wrote:
>> More bad news caused by U.S. ethanol policy:
>>
>> http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/radio...,5552138.story
>>
>> Ethanol is a net energy consumer, not a green
>> replacement for oil. Ethanol policy is driven
>> by corrupt politicians in the pocket of
>> agribusiness. Higher prices are a nuisance
>> to Americans, but they're killing Mexican
>> peasants, where corn is a staple food.

>And this surprises you how?

I just hope I live long enough to see an alternative fuel source come
into being. I thought initially that maybe there was hope with
Ethanol, but that does not seem to be the case. And with gas soaring,
I don't know what most people will do. Sure, they will raise it to $4
a gallon and then come down to $3.50 and there it will stay and people
will think they are getting a bargain because it decreased fifty
cents. I think we are going to see a lot of people riding bikes this
spring/summer. And paying more for groceries.

Anthony
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-03-18, Anthony Ferrante > wrote:

> I just hope I live long enough to see an alternative fuel source come
> into being.

If not, maybe you could appeal to the same ppl who brought us Orville
(again)
..

"Hi, I'm Orville Redenbacher and I've been dead for thirteen years. But, my
Gourmet Popping corn is so damn good those sorry sonsubitches resurrected my
mummified ass to sell you some more of this crappy stuff. (yelling to off
camera) HEY!! ...can't a guy rest in peace around here?!"

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anthony Ferrante" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 12:43:20 -0400, George Cebulka >
> wrote:
>
>>Mark Thorson wrote:
>>> More bad news caused by U.S. ethanol policy:
>>>
>>> http://www.calendarlive.com/tv/radio...,5552138.story
>>>
>>> Ethanol is a net energy consumer, not a green
>>> replacement for oil. Ethanol policy is driven
>>> by corrupt politicians in the pocket of
>>> agribusiness. Higher prices are a nuisance
>>> to Americans, but they're killing Mexican
>>> peasants, where corn is a staple food.

>>And this surprises you how?

> I just hope I live long enough to see an alternative fuel source come
> into being. I thought initially that maybe there was hope with
> Ethanol, but that does not seem to be the case. And with gas soaring,
> I don't know what most people will do. Sure, they will raise it to $4
> a gallon and then come down to $3.50 and there it will stay and people
> will think they are getting a bargain because it decreased fifty
> cents. I think we are going to see a lot of people riding bikes this
> spring/summer. And paying more for groceries.

Corn is but one source for ethanol. There are many, many more wys to
produce it. Anything that can be fermented produces ethanol. The reason
they chose corn was purely an agribusiness political ploy. Why not wheat?
Because wheat has always had a lucrative world market while corn less so.
Corn was always a junk crop because the market price was soft so that si why
production went mostly to livestock feed and sweetener. Agribusiness wanted
higher prices. The price of a bushel of corn has quadrupled as a result.
and thanks to NAFTA Mexico no longer subsidzes corn prices so the average
Mexican is going without a vital food and the farmers are all coming north
just to survive.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anthony Ferrante" > ha scritto nel messaggio
And with gas soaring,
> I don't know what most people will do. Sure, they will raise it to $4
> a gallon and then come down to $3.50 and there it will stay and people
> will think they are getting a bargain because it decreased fifty
> cents.
> Anthony

We are currently paying US$9.63 a gallon for gas in Umbria. We pay
similarly elevated prices for heating fuel and everything made of petroleum.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony Ferrante <Anthony Ferrante >>
wrote:

> I think we are going to see a lot of people riding bikes this
> spring/summer. And paying more for groceries.

You won't see any more people on bikes than you do taking the bus.
People will pay the $4-$5 for the 'luxury' of their SUV's.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> "Anthony Ferrante" > ha scritto nel
> messaggio And with gas soaring,
>> I don't know what most people will do. Sure, they will raise it to $4
>> a gallon and then come down to $3.50 and there it will stay and
>> people will think they are getting a bargain because it decreased
>> fifty cents.
>> Anthony

> We are currently paying US$9.63 a gallon for gas in Umbria. We pay
> similarly elevated prices for heating fuel and everything made of
> petroleum.

And how much of that is tax vs. the actual cost of fuel?

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> "Anthony Ferrante" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> And with gas soaring,
> > I don't know what most people will do. Sure, they will raise it to $4
> > a gallon and then come down to $3.50 and there it will stay and people
> > will think they are getting a bargain because it decreased fifty
> > cents.
> > Anthony

> We are currently paying US$9.63 a gallon for gas in Umbria. We pay
> similarly elevated prices for heating fuel and everything made of petroleum.

In my country, that would result in a revolution
and the guillotine. We would nuke the rest of the
world, if necessary, to preserve our way of life.
You have been warned! :-)