Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Irish Soda Bread

Okay, several of you have mentioned soda bread for St. Paddy's. Here's the
one Mom gave me years ago:

4 c. all purpose flour, unsifted
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 c. sugar (optional)
1/8 tsp. (seems skimpy to me!) cardamom or coriander seed (optional)
4 Tbs. butter
1 egg
1-3/4 c. buttermilk

Combine flour, salt, baking powder and soda and sugar and seeds if desired.
Add butter and cut in with a pastry blender or a fork until crumbly. Beat
egg slightly and mix with buttermilk. Add to dry ingredients and stir until
blended. Turn out onto a floured board and knead until smooth, 2 or 3
minutes.

Divide in half and shape into round loaves in 8 inch round pans. Cut
crosses on top 1/2 inch deep. Bake at 375F 35-40 minutes.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 19:58:28 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Okay, several of you have mentioned soda bread for St. Paddy's. Here's the
>one Mom gave me years ago:
>
>4 c. all purpose flour, unsifted
>1 tsp. salt
>3 tsp. baking powder
>1 tsp. baking soda
>1/4 c. sugar (optional)
>1/8 tsp. (seems skimpy to me!) cardamom or coriander seed (optional)
>4 Tbs. butter
>1 egg
>1-3/4 c. buttermilk
>
>Combine flour, salt, baking powder and soda and sugar and seeds if desired.
>Add butter and cut in with a pastry blender or a fork until crumbly. Beat
>egg slightly and mix with buttermilk. Add to dry ingredients and stir until
>blended. Turn out onto a floured board and knead until smooth, 2 or 3
>minutes.
>
>Divide in half and shape into round loaves in 8 inch round pans. Cut
>crosses on top 1/2 inch deep. Bake at 375F 35-40 minutes.
>
>Jill

Mine is similar:

Irish Soda Bread

6 + cups flour
1 Tbsp baking soda
3/4 cup Sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 ½ Tsp Salt
4 Tbsp butter, cut into pats
1 ½ - 2 cups raisins
Caraway seeds to taste 2-3 Tbsp
3 cups Buttermilk

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut in butter with pastry
blender.

Mix in caraway seeds and raisins. Mix in buttermilk until all flour
is incorporated Knead on floured surface with floured hands

Divide in 2 and shape, making X crosscut with a bench knife. Bake on
stone at 375 for 15 minutes, then at 350 until internal temp is 190.

Picture he
http://i26.tinypic.com/23wo95z.jpg

Boron

Irish Soda Bread MummyChunk General Cooking 4 12-03-2014 04:05 AM
Irish Soda Bread Janet Wilder Recipes (moderated) 0 12-03-2006 09:46 AM
Irish Soda Bread 2 Tim Recipes 0 16-06-2005 02:08 PM
Irish Soda Bread Tim Recipes 0 16-06-2005 02:07 PM
Irish Soda Bread Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 10-08-2004 12:07 PM