Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A Successful Bread from Carol Field

Just to show that Carol Field has some great bread recipes that do
work out well, we have the following saga...

Everyone wanted Field's croccodrillo again. After a year or so
without making it, and returning to it last week, I remember why I
used to make it so often.

I have added a twist this year. After the final mix of the dough, I
let it retard in the fridge for at least 16 hours. It winds up being a
3 day bread, but it isn't as if I'm not baking other things in
between. Not only does it deepen the flavors even more, but it makes
it a more manageable dough to handle.

This weekend, the bread was begun with sourdough,, rather than the dry
yeast called for.

The poolish, just before the mix of the dough...
http://i32.tinypic.com/1gm7b4.jpg

I used to always use the Kenwood for the extended mix of this
incredibly gloppy dough, but had the Magic Mill out because I was
doing large batches of Anadama. That mixer came through like a champ
and the dough mixing was a sight to behold.

Round and Round she goes....
http://i29.tinypic.com/mwb0xl.jpg

This afternoon, we took it out of the fridge, shaped it (it is so very
much easier to shape and handle after the Big Chill) and let it sit
out to warm up and get burbling again.

Moon Pie...
http://i31.tinypic.com/33pbuy1.jpg

Time to split the dough mound and invert each half onto the parchment
covered peel.
http://i25.tinypic.com/117rzo9.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/3150ked.jpg

And here it is out of the oven...
http://i28.tinypic.com/jpfp7a.jpg

And the interior...
http://i25.tinypic.com/8xsndu.jpg

Tastes mighty good, this stuff...

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> Just to show that Carol Field has some great bread recipes that do
> work out well, we have the following saga...
>
> Everyone wanted Field's croccodrillo again. After a year or so
> without making it, and returning to it last week, I remember why I
> used to make it so often.
>
> I have added a twist this year. After the final mix of the dough, I
> let it retard in the fridge for at least 16 hours. It winds up being a
> 3 day bread, but it isn't as if I'm not baking other things in
> between. Not only does it deepen the flavors even more, but it makes
> it a more manageable dough to handle.
>
> This weekend, the bread was begun with sourdough,, rather than the dry
> yeast called for.
>
> The poolish, just before the mix of the dough...
> http://i32.tinypic.com/1gm7b4.jpg
>
> I used to always use the Kenwood for the extended mix of this
> incredibly gloppy dough, but had the Magic Mill out because I was
> doing large batches of Anadama. That mixer came through like a champ
> and the dough mixing was a sight to behold.
>
> Round and Round she goes....
> http://i29.tinypic.com/mwb0xl.jpg
>
> This afternoon, we took it out of the fridge, shaped it (it is so very
> much easier to shape and handle after the Big Chill) and let it sit
> out to warm up and get burbling again.
>
> Moon Pie...
> http://i31.tinypic.com/33pbuy1.jpg
>
> Time to split the dough mound and invert each half onto the parchment
> covered peel.
> http://i25.tinypic.com/117rzo9.jpg
> http://i27.tinypic.com/3150ked.jpg
>
> And here it is out of the oven...
> http://i28.tinypic.com/jpfp7a.jpg
>
> And the interior...
> http://i25.tinypic.com/8xsndu.jpg
>
> Tastes mighty good, this stuff...
>
> Boron

Excellent shots. Thanks for taking the trouble.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 21:57:09 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>Just to show that Carol Field has some great bread recipes that do
>work out well, we have the following saga...
>
>Everyone wanted Field's croccodrillo again. After a year or so
>without making it, and returning to it last week, I remember why I
>used to make it so often.

snip to my lou

Thanks for the series. Great looking bread.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 2/24
"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw