AChrist787

Default More Funeral Food

>Around here ( Wisconsin) a funeral is not a funeral without cheese whiz on
>white wonder bread topped with crushed generic potato chips. It will be next
>to the tator tot casserole and green bean cassarole on the buffet line.<

You forgot the requisite jello salad.

Anne

AAC/AAF/AFBV62.0844.AZ
http://www.tckworld.com/opfoot
Nancy Young

Dog3 wrote:

> Nancy Young > deliciously posted in

> > No, you cannot be divorced if you married in a Catholic church,
> > therefore it cannot happen. You can have it annulled. Get out
> > the checkbook.

> Hmm... But will they still accept your contributions and allow you
> confession? I was raised in the Catholic tradition a large portion of my
> childhood but left the church at an early age. It was a huge issue with my
> parents. It was 30+ years ago. Gawd! wish I'd been tossed out like Barb
> <G>
>
> Such a reputation... hee... hee

(laughing) Well, don't ask me, I was raised in a kinder, gentler
church (grandpa was a Presbyterian minister, dontcha know). Still,
they didn't toss me out, I ran like hell.

nancy the heretic who cannot stand sermons
Nancy Young

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> > No, you cannot be divorced if you married in a Catholic church,
> > therefore it cannot happen. You can have it annulled. Get out
> > the checkbook.
> >

> Technically, you could get divorced and it would be legal, but the Catholic
> church would not recognize it.

Of course. I didn't say anything about legal. Of course it's legal
(though I cannot speak for all countries, I was only speaking of the
US).

> I don't understand how a couple with children can have their marriage
> annulled. Wouldn't that make their children illegitimate (in the eyes of
> the church)?

You pay enough, you get what you want. Besides, who cares, you don't
want to be married to that person any more, why make their life
miserable. I honestly do not get it. Even Adam left Lilith for
Eve. Marriage is a man made invention.

nancy
Nancy Young

Dog3 wrote:

> So Nancy, tell us about your college days or your days after graduation <G>
>
> Michael <- stirring merde

Oh, geez, you want my life's story? You know, where all the money
was saved so my brothers could go to college? Let's not stir that
pot.

nancy (loves my brothers)
Rhonda Anderson

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Richard, you were the first to respond with an inquiry about my
>> departure from the church. Here's the deal: I won't post the details
>> publicly but I'll go through the posts and will respond to anyone with a
>> legitimate address. Cult? Nah, mainline Lutheran.

My curiosity is aroused. I really, really, really have to know..
--
Rhonda Anderson
Penrith, NSW, Australia
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Lucas
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > said in the
> newsgroup.......
> :
>
> WHAT THE.........!!!!!
>
> Just had a look at your 'tats' ........ different!! :-)

Why, thank you, Lucas. A number of Aussies were quite taken with them
when I showed them in Sydney, Melbourne, and Cairns last year. :-)
They're only seen when I want them seen. My husband doesn't mind. In
fact, he kind of likes it when I show them to others. "-)
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Goomba
> wrote:

> Nexis wrote:
>
> > Dare I inquire about the kickin' out thing? How does one go about
> > getting
> > kicked out of a church? Were you singing Marylin Manson songs?

> Maybe it was the tattoos?
> Goomba

Nope. Didn't have them then. I've mailed the story to you.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Vox Humana"
> wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > A long-time neighbor died and his funeral was this morning at the church
> > I got kicked out of 12-13 years ago. I haven't been back since. The
> > food was pretty boring. Ham sandwiches, pickles, potato chips (no
> > serving tongs--just dig in), some weird vegetable salad with canned
> > veggies and not much flavor, a couple three potato salads, a coupla
> > pasta salads, brownies, bars, cookies. Man, before I croak, I gotta
> > make sure that somebody makes a better plan than that for my funeral
> > party.

> Maybe you could make all the food for your own funeral and have it
> cryogenically frozen.

Hmmmn. Food for thought. Pirohy freeze well!
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Bob"
> wrote:

> Barb wrote:
>
> > Man, before I croak, I gotta make sure that somebody makes a better
> > plan than that for my funeral party.

> Two thoughts spring to mind:
>
> 1. YOU'RE not going to be eating the food! So the issue of quality
> is a purely secondhand consideration.

Well, yeah, but I don't want anybody talking about MY funeral food the
way I talk about others'. (*^;^*)

> 2. Just imagine the conversations if your funeral party had bad
> food: "Oh, Barb would NEVER serve food this bad if she were still
> alive! I already miss her so much..."

"Well, I'VE got her recipe for her brownies and her cream cheese
coffeecake. I wonder if she left anything out. . . . "

>Then contrast it with this comment if the food was GOOD: "This food is
>really good. I hardly notice that Barb's dead."

The lousy *******s!
I've already extracted promises from a couple key nieces to come visit
me when I'm in The Home. When I broached the subject with my daughter,
she said, "Oh, Mom! You're not going to The Home! I won't let you!" I
asked, "Really? Does that mean I can come live with you?" Little snot
says, "We'll see when the time comes." Where's my will? I gotta make
some changes. . . .

--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
maxine in ri

Bob wrote:

> Barb wrote:
>
> > Man, before I croak, I gotta make sure that somebody makes a
> > better plan than that for my funeral party.

Consider an Irish wake.... Peanut butter and boozeberry jam sandwiches!

maxine in ri

Dimitri

"Dog3" > wrote in message
02...
> "Dimitri" > deliciously posted in
> news >
> >
> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> >> In article >,
> >> "Dimitri" > wrote:

> > <snip>

> >> I'm going to hold you to it!! ROTFLMAO!!! I've already asked my
> >> friend and pastor, Janet, to promise to do a tap dance on the altar
> >> if I croak before she does. (She's the one who, when in college,
> >> dressed as a nun for Halloween one year -- used a Kotex pad for the
> >> white part of the headgear.)
> >> --
> >> -Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats
> >> tab,

> > too.)
> >
> > The only question is what can I cook from a wheel chair? ;-)
> >
> > LOL...
> >
> > However make it late enough so all your friends can hold a private
> > party at "Al's Breakfast" first. I figure if we can get enough people
> > in line we can Pi** Off the Locals.
> >
> > Dimitri

> I'm going to be the tap dancer in a scarlet dress and stilettos. I've
> never done drag but the occasion would warrant a change.
>
> Michael <- watching the soap channel

ROTFLMAO!

Dimitri

maxine in ri

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > A long-time neighbor died and his funeral was this morning at the church
> > I got kicked out of 12-13 years ago. I haven't been back since. The
> > food was pretty boring. Ham sandwiches, pickles, potato chips (no
> > serving tongs--just dig in), some weird vegetable salad with canned
> > veggies and not much flavor, a couple three potato salads, a coupla
> > pasta salads, brownies, bars, cookies. Man, before I croak, I gotta
> > make sure that somebody makes a better plan than that for my funeral
> > party.

My condolances on your neighbor's passage. His memory lingers on.

when my FIL died, they had him cremated and waited til the spring
thaw to inter the cremains. afterwards, we all went to Oldest
Brother's farm for a potluck out in the carbarn. shrimp plate,
jellomold, meringues, couple hot dishs (OB's wife is from the
midwest and knows how to cook like them Lutherans do), chips,
hotdogs and hamburgers.

We then trooped out to the converted shed where Fath's ashes lived
for the winter (it never got done enough for him to live in while he
was alive) and sorted through his stuff, learned about the unknown
older half-brother that Fath was almost forced to marry the mother
of at gunpoint (he was stationed in Arkansas).

Fath was a hot sketch, said the Army cooked as good as his Mother
did, was well-known in amature astronomy circles for his sunspot
numbers and the 3 gravity-wave detectors that he built in the back forty.

OBfood: He thought my cooking was too fussy, and reduced his
cholesterol by pouring boiling water over chopped meat in a sieve to
remove the fat.
Lucas

Melba's Jammin' > said in the newsgroup.......
:

> In article >, Lucas
> > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' > said in the
>> newsgroup.......
>> :
>>
>> WHAT THE.........!!!!!
>>
>> Just had a look at your 'tats' ........ different!! :-)

> Why, thank you, Lucas.

No worries, Schaller :-)

>A number of Aussies were quite taken with them
> when I showed them in Sydney, Melbourne, and Cairns last year. :-)

Not Brisbane??!! You missed the best city in Australia!!

> They're only seen when I want them seen. My husband doesn't mind. In
> fact, he kind of likes it when I show them to others. "-)

Kinky bugger that he is ;-)

How permanent are they?

--
Peter Lucas # Loyalty above all else, #
Brisbane # except honour. #
levelwave

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> "Well, I'VE got her recipe for her brownies and her cream cheese
> coffeecake. I wonder if she left anything out. . . . "

Cream Cheese Coffeecake?... uh oh... I don't suppose you could share
this with the rest of us could ya'?...

~john!

Nancy Young

What exactly is funeral food, anyway? Luckily I've been able to have
very little experience in that. People don't bring food to the
funeral home, do they? I mean, after my dad died, people congregated
at my mother's house, I think she had a cold cuts platter or
something. Stuff like that. I don't think anyone brought food.
Like, would they keep it in their car?

nancy (y'all can bring what you want to my non funeral)
Ron Audet

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> What exactly is funeral food, anyway? Luckily I've been able to have
> very little experience in that. People don't bring food to the
> funeral home, do they? I mean, after my dad died, people congregated
> at my mother's house, I think she had a cold cuts platter or
> something. Stuff like that. I don't think anyone brought food.
> Like, would they keep it in their car?
>
> nancy (y'all can bring what you want to my non funeral)

Well, when I lived in Upstate New York, it was rare for anyone to bring
food. But in Virginia, where I now live, when someone dies neighbors come
pouring in with plates and platters of food. They bring it to the home, not
to the funeral parlor. The assumption is that there will be many friends and
family members congregating at the home for several days and that the family
will not feel like cooking for them, so the neighbors help out in this way.
When my father died, neighbors we had never even met came. We had quite
literally dozens of dishes, including cakes and pies, casseroles of all
kinds, fried chicken, sandwiches, etc. And several people bought platters of
sliced meats, vegetables and dips, and similar items from local restaurants.
We could have fed ten times the number of people that were actually there.
We gave away as much as we could, but even so we ended up throwing out
enough stale and spoiled food to have provided meals for dozens more.

Maybe this is more of a southern custom, but I think it does prevail in
quite a number of areas in the US.
Ron

Dave

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

| What exactly is funeral food, anyway? Luckily I've been able to have
| very little experience in that. People don't bring food to the
| funeral home, do they? I mean, after my dad died, people congregated
| at my mother's house, I think she had a cold cuts platter or
| something. Stuff like that. I don't think anyone brought food.
| Like, would they keep it in their car?
|
| nancy (y'all can bring what you want to my non funeral)

In NC, I think people read the obits, then run over to anyone's house with a
casserole. When my dad died, we had people showing up with food and flowers
for 3 days - people we knew, hardly knew (friends of friends), and strangers
(almost every church, women's club, and unknown neighbors). It's common in
other areas of the south (from my experience - Alabama, Virginia, NC).
People usually bring casseroles, sandwiches, desserts, etc. The idea is the
family has enough to worry about and lots of people stopping in or staying.
It's a nice tradition that does make things easier on the grieving family.

limey

"Ron Audet" wrote in message >

> "Nancy Young" wrote in message
> > What exactly is funeral food, anyway? Luckily I've been able to have
> > very little experience in that. People don't bring food to the
> > funeral home, do they? I mean, after my dad died, people congregated
> > at my mother's house, I think she had a cold cuts platter or
> > something. Stuff like that. I don't think anyone brought food.
> > Like, would they keep it in their car?
> >
> > nancy (y'all can bring what you want to my non funeral)

No, it's not brought to the funeral home - it's taken to the home.

> Well, when I lived in Upstate New York, it was rare for anyone to bring
> food. But in Virginia, where I now live, when someone dies neighbors come
> pouring in with plates and platters of food. They bring it to the home,

not
> to the funeral parlor. The assumption is that there will be many friends

and
> family members congregating at the home for several days and that the

family
> will not feel like cooking for them, so the neighbors help out in this

way.
> When my father died, neighbors we had never even met came. We had quite
> literally dozens of dishes, including cakes and pies, casseroles of all
> kinds, fried chicken, sandwiches, etc. And several people bought platters

of
> sliced meats, vegetables and dips, and similar items from local

restaurants.
> We could have fed ten times the number of people that were actually there.
> We gave away as much as we could, but even so we ended up throwing out
> enough stale and spoiled food to have provided meals for dozens more.
>
> Maybe this is more of a southern custom, but I think it does prevail in
> quite a number of areas in the US.
> Ron

Same thing in Maryland; people want to show they care about those grieving.
The mourners float in food.

Dora

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "limey"
> wrote:

> "Ron Audet" wrote in message >
>
> > "Nancy Young" wrote in message
> > > What exactly is funeral food, anyway? Luckily I've been able to
> > > have very little experience in that. People don't bring food to
> > > the funeral home, do they? I mean, after my dad died, people
> > > congregated at my mother's house, I think she had a cold cuts
> > > platter or something. Stuff like that. I don't think anyone
> > > brought food. Like, would they keep it in their car?
> > >
> > > nancy (y'all can bring what you want to my non funeral)

> No, it's not brought to the funeral home - it's taken to the home.

Right. What I've been referring to, though, is the "formal" luncheon
served to the mourners after the funeral and/or interment service/s.

When my sister, BIL, and their youngest were killed in a plane crash,
folks delivered enough food to feed a football team -- most of it sweet
desserts. Inez Shaver, God bless her, called my SIL (at whose home
family <"Incoming!"> were gathering and said she figured Lois had enough
sugar around; she was send a couple jugs of hootch and a beef roast.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Rosie Miller

wrote:

>> What exactly is funeral food, anyway? Luckily I've been able to have
>> very little experience in that. People don't bring food to the
>> funeral home, do they? I mean, after my dad died, people congregated
>> at my mother's house, I think she had a cold cuts platter or
>> something. Stuff like that. I don't think anyone brought food.
>> Like, would they keep it in their car?
>>
>> nancy (y'all can bring what you want to my non funeral)

>Minnesota Christian perspective: "Funeral food" is the food served at
>the reception and meal that typically (IME and IM community) follows the
>funeral service, generally in the church parlors. Once, I attended a
>funeral service that was held in the mortuary -- and the "lunch" was
>served there. A different room, to be sure, but it was weird
>nonetheless.
>
>Frequently, after the lunch, close friends and family may also gather at
>someone's home (relative of the decedent) to unwind (and work on the
>leftovers).
>--
>-Barb (
www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab,
>too.)
>
>When I lived in a small Texas town, it was the custom for memebers of the

church to volunteer to make a funeral meal, we would take turns doing this,
and then the bereaved could have a nice meal after the funeral.
Rosie
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Lucas
> wrote:
(snip)

> >> Just had a look at your 'tats' ........ different!! :-)

> > Why, thank you, Lucas.

> No worries, Schaller :-)

Thanks, Peter. "-) (I was assuming Lucas was your first name. I like
the name.)

> >A number of Aussies were quite taken with them
> > when I showed them in Sydney, Melbourne, and Cairns last year. :-)

> Not Brisbane??!! You missed the best city in Australia!!

It was a tour and we were just along the coast; Brisbane wasn't on the
menu. :-(

> > They're only seen when I want them seen. My husband doesn't mind. In
> > fact, he kind of likes it when I show them to others. "-)

> Kinky bugger that he is ;-)

Oh, if only you knew. Them engineers -- well, still water runs deep.
:-)

> How permanent are they?

I expect that the anthropologists will have a field day (so to speak)
when they come across 'em. "She had THOSE tattoed? Whatta girl!"
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, levelwave
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > "Well, I'VE got her recipe for her brownies and her cream cheese
> > coffeecake. I wonder if she left anything out. . . . "

> Cream Cheese Coffeecake?... uh oh... I don't suppose you could share
> this with the rest of us could ya'?...
>
> ~john!

Oh, Honey, you've been gone. . . . .You can look it up on Google --
Cream Cheese Coffee Cake is in the title. Last Thursday, 10-16-03.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Ron Audet

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >, "limey"
> > wrote:

> > No, it's not brought to the funeral home - it's taken to the home.

> Right. What I've been referring to, though, is the "formal" luncheon
> served to the mourners after the funeral and/or interment service/s.

I have never seen this done in the places I have lived. After the funeral
service, the mourners are usually invited to the home of the family (or that
of a close friend), but the food served is strictly "finger food" and is
very informal -- more like what you would find at a cocktail party. I have
never encountered a formal luncheon.

Funeral practices vary widely from one area to another. I have attended many
wakes in New York, but I have never heard of one in Virginia (even among
Irish families).

> When my sister, BIL, and their youngest were killed in a plane crash,
> folks delivered enough food to feed a football team -- most of it sweet
> desserts. Inez Shaver, God bless her, called my SIL (at whose home
> family <"Incoming!"> were gathering and said she figured Lois had enough
> sugar around; she was send a couple jugs of hootch and a beef roast.
> --
> -Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab,

too.)

limey

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message >

Inez Shaver, God bless her, called my SIL (at whose home
> family <"Incoming!"> were gathering and said she figured Lois had enough
> sugar around; she was send a couple jugs of hootch and a beef roast.
> --
> -Barb

And if was like the wakes I've been to, the hooch found willing hands ;-),
to say nothing of the beef.
I didn't know about your sister and her family, Barb. I'm so sorry to hear
it.

Dora

Jeff Bienstadt

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, Richard Periut
> > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> > A long-time neighbor died and his funeral was this morning at the
>> > church
>> > I got kicked out of 12-13 years ago. I haven't been back since. The
>> > food was pretty boring. Ham sandwiches, pickles, potato chips (no
>> > serving tongs--just dig in), some weird vegetable salad with canned
>> > veggies and not much flavor, a couple three potato salads, a coupla
>> > pasta salads, brownies, bars, cookies. Man, before I croak, I gotta
>> > make sure that somebody makes a better plan than that for my funeral
>> > party.

>> Kicked out of? What kind of church is that??? A cult?
>>
>> Richard

> Richard, you were the first to respond with an inquiry about my
> departure from the church. Here's the deal: I won't post the details
> publicly but I'll go through the posts and will respond to anyone with a
> legitimate address. Cult? Nah, mainline Lutheran.

OK, you've got me curious. I'm beginning to regret that I didn't spend
enough time in church (also Lutheran, mostly) to have gotten kicked out ---
I think I would have enjoyed that :-)

Sorry to hear about your neighbor, though.

---jkb

--
Daniel Jackson: "Tastes like chicken."
Captain Samantha Carter: "So what's wrong with it?"

Frogleg

Barb complained about (mentioned) yucky funeral food. *Post* funeral,
one assumes. :-) The menu sounds exactly like some "everyone
contribute $3" holiday lunches at work. It doesn't sound like the
sending-off of a much-loved friend and neighbor, where said friends
and neighbors would have supplied the food, but more an obligatory,
minimum-cost spread from a public/institutional source. So the thing
to do is make sure you have a lot of sorrowing *good* friends who will
pay tribute with food.
Nancy Young

Frogleg wrote:

> Barb complained about (mentioned) yucky funeral food. *Post* funeral,
> one assumes. :-) The menu sounds exactly like some "everyone
> contribute $3" holiday lunches at work. It doesn't sound like the
> sending-off of a much-loved friend and neighbor, where said friends
> and neighbors would have supplied the food, but more an obligatory,
> minimum-cost spread from a public/institutional source. So the thing
> to do is make sure you have a lot of sorrowing *good* friends who will
> pay tribute with food.

Gosh, I think I'm going to have to arrange for funeral food in the
not too distant future. You guys are making me nervous. I'm tellin
ya, I'm getting a cold cuts platter and some soda. Desserts. Coffee.

nancy
Gina *

---snip details of the funeral lunch, and Barb's admission of having
gotten bounced outta that church---
Just want to stand up in solidarity with Barb, and admit to having been
bounced outta the Girl Scouts. They even took back my badges.

~~~Gina~~~

Gina *

>>I don't understand how a couple with children >>can have their

marriage annulled. Wouldn't >>that make their children illegitimate (in
the >>eyes of the church)?
>>rona
>>--

..
..
Nope. I theory, the children were born and in theory conceived in a
state of wedlock, both in civil and religious eyes. Wedlock and the
state of matrimony are two separate things. The wedding could have been
ceebrated, the couple live in wedlock, and yet later one party could
prove that there never was a state of matrimony.

~~~Gina~~~

Nancy Young

Gina * wrote:

> ---snip details of the funeral lunch, and Barb's admission of having
> gotten bounced outta that church---
> Just want to stand up in solidarity with Barb, and admit to having been
> bounced outta the Girl Scouts. They even took back my badges.

Gawd, I love being surrounded by such great broads.

I can only confess to being asked to leave ballet class at maybe
age 6 as I sucked at it. Well, I could confess to a whole lot more,
but nothing involving being kicked out of a church. Darn.

nancy
jmcquown

Nancy Young wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Richard, you were the first to respond with an inquiry about my
>> departure from the church. Here's the deal: I won't post the
>> details publicly but I'll go through the posts and will respond to
>> anyone with a legitimate address. Cult? Nah, mainline Lutheran.

> Any chance you'll tell me?
>
> nancy

Me too. I'd be curious to know since I have a friend who was, in effect,
kicked out of her church.

Jill