Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My 2nd Ave. Deli review

Hi all;

When I woke up this morning and the weather was nice, so I decided to
take my first road trip in my six week old Toyota Prius to try the new
2nd Ave. Deli. I drove 90 miles north to 33rd Street and 3rd Avenue in
Manhattan. I parked a short distance from the deli. I arrived just after
noon and the deli was packed! I was concerned that I would have to wait
a while to be seated, but the hostess said I could have a seat at the
counter right away. The counter only seats five people, and only two
other people were there when I sat down, but the remaining two seats
were occupied right after I was seated. The woman on my left ordered a
vegetable omelet which was huge and perfectly round like a personal pan
pizza. A man seated to my right ordered a pastrami sandwich on rye with
cole slaw on it, it was barely contained on plate on which it was served!

I shot several photos of my meal in the 2nd Ave. Deli and my long walk
through the city. The photos are at http://tinyurl.com/3c7fjf

The 2nd Ave. Deli's service was excellent, but the prices were
outstanding, which is nothing new. I started with a bowl of matzoh ball
soup for $6.95. My main meal was the $21 broiled half chicken platter,
which came with two side dishes. I opted for the kasha varnishkas and
boiled sliced carrots. I only ordered cold water to drink. The chicken
was delicious, but the skin was a bit too dark. The kasha and the
carrots were both excellent. I also ate three half sour pickles and most
of health salad that was placed in front of me. The waiter also gave me
a small bowl of that Kosher fried chicken skins and onion dish who's
name escapes me at the moment. I tried some, but I didn't like it; not
much flavor other than grease and fried onion.

When I asked for the check, the waiter gave it to me with a small glass
of Bosco chocolate soda to try. The soda tasted like seltzer with Bosco
chocolate syrup in it; it was good, but not enough that I would order it
the next time.

The new deli's decor is a lot like the original one; but with modern
tiles. Its also much smaller now. The seating area is very small. The
take out food area is cramped and people waiting for seats in the
restaurant have to stand in the take out area so was very cramped.

On my way out, I purchased 1/4 pound of salami and a 1/2 pound each of
macaroni salad and cucumber salad for dinner. I put the food in my car.
I figured that since the weather was cool, the food would keep fine in
my car while I walked around the city.

After lunch, I strapped my iPod nano +Nike onto my wrist and I walked
from 33rd Street down to 14th Street and 9th Avenue to check out the new
Apple computer store that was built in an old meat packing plant. In
total, according to my iPod +Nike pedometer, I walked 8.4 miles, which I
hoped burned off all the calories from 2nd Ave. Deli's food I ate!

On my way to the Apple store, I noticed a restaurant that caught my eye.
Its called Supermac and it features Macaroni & Cheese. I went inside and
took a take out menu. They have a web site at http://www.supermacnyc.com
in case anyone is interested. I was stuffed from lunch so I didn't try
anything there; I just looked around and than continued on my walk. I
did stop a little while later to eat some frozen peach yogurt for
dessert.

Anyway, the Apple store is modern, but elegant and functional. I then
walked along the Hudson River to 42rd Street, around Times Square, then
by the time I got back to 33rd Street, I went back to the 2nd Ave. Deli
to see if it was still crowded. That was at 5:30PM and although it was
crowded, it was not too bad. By the time I got back there, my legs were
stiff from all that walking, so I went back to my car and I drove home,
no stops. I then proceeded to eat the food I bought at the deli for
dinner. It was delicious, although the cucumber salad was a bit too
heavy on dill weed for my taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan -- thanks for the report.

(They always did have a big thing for dill weed, it seems.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Hi all;
>
> When I woke up this morning and the weather was nice, so I decided to
> take my first road trip in my six week old Toyota Prius to try the new
> 2nd Ave. Deli.

Good job, Stan, but I kept waiting to find out what kind of ketchup they
served!

I agree that elegant and functional is modern and sometimes think it wins
over rustic and ancient.
--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote

> The new deli's decor is a lot like the original one; but with modern
> tiles. Its also much smaller now. The seating area is very small. The
> take out food area is cramped and people waiting for seats in the
> restaurant have to stand in the take out area so was very cramped.

Thanks for the review, Stan! I enjoyed reading it. Sounds like a
great road trip. The pictures were great. I will say, some of the
older delis look like they'd benefit from closing for a day and getting
a good scrubbing. Nice to see the new place cleaned up.

Great pictures. I love to see old buildings refurbished for a new
use.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> "Stan Horwitz" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Hi all;
> >
> > When I woke up this morning and the weather was nice, so I decided to
> > take my first road trip in my six week old Toyota Prius to try the new
> > 2nd Ave. Deli.

> Good job, Stan, but I kept waiting to find out what kind of ketchup they
> served!
>
> I agree that elegant and functional is modern and sometimes think it wins
> over rustic and ancient.

Heinz of course. One of the photos includes a bottle in it, but its
partially cut off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 12:11�am, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> When I woke up this morning and the weather was nice, so I decided to
> take my first road trip in my six week old Toyota Prius to try the new
> 2nd Ave. Deli. I drove 90 miles north to 33rd Street and 3rd Avenue in
> Manhattan. I parked a short distance from the deli. I arrived just after
> noon and the deli was packed! I was concerned that I would have to wait
> a while to be seated, but the hostess said I could have a seat at the
> counter right away. The counter only seats five people, and only two
> other people were there when I sat down, but the remaining two seats
> were occupied right after I was seated. The woman on my left ordered a
> vegetable omelet which was huge and perfectly round like a personal pan
> pizza. A man seated to my right ordered a pastrami sandwich on rye with
> cole slaw on it, it was barely contained on plate on which it was served!
>
> I shot several photos of my meal in the 2nd Ave. Deli and my long walk
> through the city. The photos are athttp://tinyurl.com/3c7fjf
>
> The 2nd Ave. Deli's service was excellent, but the prices were
> outstanding, which is nothing new. I started with a bowl of matzoh ball
> soup for $6.95. My main meal was the $21 broiled half chicken platter,
> which came with two side dishes. I opted for the kasha varnishkas and
> boiled sliced carrots.

You're slipping, Stan... you didn't order anything that goes with
ketchup.

I don't think I'd travel 90 miles to eat half a small chicken at a
kosher deli for an outrageous price of $21.... coulda bought a whole
rotisseried chicken at your local stupidmarket deli for like $6. If
I'm gonna go to a kosher deli and pay outragious prices I'm gonna
order something that I cant get elsewhere. That chicken soup looks
canned to me. And that measly portion of dried out kasha looks from
hunger, could they spare it.... and I feed those horse carrots to the
deer, a five pound bag only costs $2.49 retail... and ain't all
carrots kosher, I mean why order carrots at a kosher deli... it's like
traveling to Chinatown and ordering boiled carrots.... I don't get it,
don't they have carrots in PA? You shouda ordered a kasha k'nish,
some kishka, and tried the chopped liver... and ate a hot dog w/kraut
washed down with a cel-ray tonic while waiting for a zoftig tongue n'
pastrami combo on club, and a plate of fries with a fresh bottle of
Heinz. And no sour tomatos, what kinda Jew Joint is that???

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 04:46:13 -0800 (PST), Sheldon >
wrote:

>I don't think I'd travel 90 miles to eat half a small chicken at a
>kosher deli for an outrageous price of $21.... coulda bought a whole
>rotisseried chicken at your local stupidmarket deli for like $6. If
>I'm gonna go to a kosher deli and pay outragious prices I'm gonna
>order something that I cant get elsewhere. That chicken soup looks
>canned to me. And that measly portion of dried out kasha looks from
>hunger, could they spare it.... and I feed those horse carrots to the
>deer, a five pound bag only costs $2.49 retail... and ain't all
>carrots kosher, I mean why order carrots at a kosher deli... it's like
>traveling to Chinatown and ordering boiled carrots.... I don't get it,
>don't they have carrots in PA? You shouda ordered a kasha k'nish,
>some kishka, and tried the chopped liver... and ate a hot dog w/kraut
>washed down with a cel-ray tonic while waiting for a zoftig tongue n'
>pastrami combo on club, and a plate of fries with a fresh bottle of
>Heinz. And no sour tomatos, what kinda Jew Joint is that???

According to this person, kasha k'nish doesn't cut it either.

http://mouthfulsfood.com/forums//ind...showtopic=6172

Hmmmm. Mayhap skip the 2nd Ave altogether. We're off to NYC city in a
couple months. Last time we hit Carnegies. Not impressed. So what deli
to go to? Maybe have to get out of Manhattan?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Sheldon > wrote:

> You shouda ordered a kasha k'nish,
> some kishka, and tried the chopped liver... and ate a hot dog w/kraut
> washed down with a cel-ray tonic while waiting for a zoftig tongue n'
> pastrami combo on club, and a plate of fries with a fresh bottle of
> Heinz. And no sour tomatos, what kinda Jew Joint is that???

Pftthhggbbtt! No, he should have ordered what he wanted to eat €“
and it looks like he did. :-) You want the knish and the kishka and
Dr. Brown's Cel-ray tonic, well, you should go and order it. :-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; I Think I've Seen it All, 2/24/2008
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 8:35�am, raymond > wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 04:46:13 -0800 (PST), Sheldon >
> wrote:
>

> >I don't think I'd travel 90 miles to eat half a small chicken at a
> >kosher deli for an outrageous price of $21.... coulda bought a whole
> >rotisseried chicken at your local stupidmarket deli for like $6. �If
> >I'm gonna go to a kosher deli and pay outragious prices I'm gonna
> >order something that I cant get elsewhere. �That chicken soup looks
> >canned to me. �And that measly portion of dried out kasha looks from
> >hunger, could they spare it.... and I feed those horse carrots to the
> >deer, a five pound bag only costs $2.49 retail... and ain't all
> >carrots kosher, I mean why order carrots at a kosher deli... it's like
> >traveling to Chinatown and ordering boiled carrots.... I don't get it,
> >don't they have carrots in PA? �You shouda ordered a kasha k'nish,
> >some kishka, and tried the chopped liver... and ate a hot dog w/kraut
> >washed down with a cel-ray tonic while waiting for a zoftig tongue n'
> >pastrami combo on club, and a plate of fries with a fresh bottle of
> >Heinz. � And no sour tomatos, what kinda Jew Joint is that???

> According to this person, kasha k'nish doesn't cut it either.
>
> http://mouthfulsfood.com/forums//ind...showtopic=6172
>
> Hmmmm. Mayhap skip the 2nd Ave altogether. We're off to NYC city in a
> couple months. Last time we hit Carnegies. Not impressed. So what deli
> to go to? Maybe have to get out of Manhattan? �

One word: Brooklyn.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/adelmans-kosher-deli-brooklyn

http://www.yelp.com/biz/mill-basin-kosher-deli-brooklyn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 07:56:12 -0800 (PST), Sheldon >
wrote:

>> Hmmmm. Mayhap skip the 2nd Ave altogether. We're off to NYC city in a
>> couple months. Last time we hit Carnegies. Not impressed. So what deli
>> to go to? Maybe have to get out of Manhattan? ?

>One word: Brooklyn.
>
>http://www.yelp.com/biz/adelmans-kosher-deli-brooklyn
>
>http://www.yelp.com/biz/mill-basin-kosher-deli-brooklyn

Yeah, I've always heard the best food is in Brooklyn. The best chef on
TV, Alan Harding, is Cookin' in Brooklyn.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 00:11:18 -0500, Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
>> I shot several photos of my meal in the 2nd Ave. Deli and my long
>> walk through the city. The photos are at http://tinyurl.com/3c7fjf

> Defective website. Doesn't like Seamonkey (Mozilla) browser.

That is a shame. The pics are lovely

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 00:11:18 -0500, Stan Horwitz wrote:
>>
>>> I shot several photos of my meal in the 2nd Ave. Deli and my long
>>> walk through the city. The photos are at http://tinyurl.com/3c7fjf

>> Defective website. Doesn't like Seamonkey (Mozilla) browser.

> That is a shame. The pics are lovely

I saw it fine in Seamonkey.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 00:11:18 -0500, Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
> > I shot several photos of my meal in the 2nd Ave. Deli and my long walk
> > through the city. The photos are at http://tinyurl.com/3c7fjf

> Defective website. Doesn't like Seamonkey (Mozilla) browser.

Nor Netscape Communicator 4.6.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 03 Mar 2008 12:23:56p, Mark Thorson told us...

> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 00:11:18 -0500, Stan Horwitz wrote:
>>
>> > I shot several photos of my meal in the 2nd Ave. Deli and my long walk
>> > through the city. The photos are at http://tinyurl.com/3c7fjf

>> Defective website. Doesn't like Seamonkey (Mozilla) browser.

> Nor Netscape Communicator 4.6.

Works just fine with IE7.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 03(III)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 00:11:18 -0500, Stan Horwitz wrote:
>>
>>> I shot several photos of my meal in the 2nd Ave. Deli and my long walk
>>> through the city. The photos are at http://tinyurl.com/3c7fjf

>> Defective website. Doesn't like Seamonkey (Mozilla) browser.

> Nor Netscape Communicator 4.6.

Looks fine on Firefox.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

<snipped>
>The waiter also gave me
> a small bowl of that Kosher fried chicken skins and onion dish who's
> name escapes me at the moment. I tried some, but I didn't like it; not
> much flavor other than grease and fried onion.

The chicken skins and onions are the result of rendering chicken fat.
They are called "gribbeness" better known as "cracklings" They are one
of the gifts I give myself when I render my own chicken fat. If the
rendering process is done properly, the gribbeness is not greasy.

Nice pix, Stan. Glad you enjoyed.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Good Friends. Good Life
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 00:11:18 -0500, Stan Horwitz wrote:
> >
> > > I shot several photos of my meal in the 2nd Ave. Deli and my long walk
> > > through the city. The photos are at http://tinyurl.com/3c7fjf

> > Defective website. Doesn't like Seamonkey (Mozilla) browser.

> Nor Netscape Communicator 4.6.

Netscape communitor is no longer supported, so you can expect to see
that problem more and more. It works fine with Mozilla Firefox on my Mac
though so I don't see why Seamonkey can't handle it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 10:42:31 -0800, Serene wrote:

> >> That is a shame. The pics are lovely
> >>

> > I saw it fine in Seamonkey.

> I tried to go to the slideshow:
>
> Recommended Browsers
>
> You may be using an unsupported browser.
> We recommend:
>
> * Mac OS X Safari 1.2 or later
> * Firefox 1.0.4 or later
>
> * Windows Firefox 1.0 or later
> * Internet Explorer 6 or later
>

> You can proceed using your current browser, but you may not have
> access to all features.
>
> And then it just goes into a loop, returning you to that page.
>
> -sw

So use Firefox. Its free.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Sheldon > wrote:
>
> > You shouda ordered a kasha k'nish,
> > some kishka, and tried the chopped liver... and ate a hot dog w/kraut
> > washed down with a cel-ray tonic while waiting for a zoftig tongue n'
> > pastrami combo on club, and a plate of fries with a fresh bottle of
> > Heinz. And no sour tomatos, what kinda Jew Joint is that???

> Pftthhggbbtt! No, he should have ordered what he wanted to eat €“
> and it looks like he did. :-) You want the knish and the kishka and
> Dr. Brown's Cel-ray tonic, well, you should go and order it. :-)

Exactly. The soup was definitely not canned, and the kasha was
excellent; not dried out at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
> <snipped>
> >The waiter also gave me
> > a small bowl of that Kosher fried chicken skins and onion dish who's
> > name escapes me at the moment. I tried some, but I didn't like it; not
> > much flavor other than grease and fried onion.
> >

> The chicken skins and onions are the result of rendering chicken fat.
> They are called "gribbeness" better known as "cracklings" They are one
> of the gifts I give myself when I render my own chicken fat. If the
> rendering process is done properly, the gribbeness is not greasy.
>
> Nice pix, Stan. Glad you enjoyed.

Thanks. Gribbeness is the name I was trying to think of. The chicken
skin wasn't too greasy, but the onions were.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 22:08:15 -0500, Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Mark Thorson > wrote:

> >> Nor Netscape Communicator 4.6.

> > Netscape communitor is no longer supported, so you can expect to see
> > that problem more and more. It works fine with Mozilla Firefox on my Mac
> > though so I don't see why Seamonkey can't handle it.

> Seamonkey *can* handle it, it's just that site is poorly designed
> to specifically reject Seamonkey. If I fool the site into
> thinking I'm using Firefox when I'm really using SM then I can
> view the slideshow just fine.
>
> Users shouldn't have to do that. It's one of the hallmarks of
> Bad Website Design.

The site was generated by iPhoto '06, not manually done. If you are not
interested in viewing it, that's up to you. You are apparently alone in
not being able to view it properly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 03 Mar 2008 06:59:31p, Sqwertz told us...

> On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 00:44:43 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

walk

>>> Nor Netscape Communicator 4.6.

>> Works just fine with IE7.

> Never heard of it.
>
> -sw

Microsoft Internet Explorer version 7. It's a tabbed browser. I have yet
to have it fail to show any web page.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 03(III)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 00:44:43 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> > Works just fine with IE7.

> Never heard of it.
>
> -sw

Yeah, right. Now go sit DOWN!
Love,
Mom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > You shouda ordered a kasha k'nish,
> > some kishka, and tried the chopped liver... and ate a hot dog w/kraut
> > washed down with a cel-ray tonic while waiting for a zoftig tongue n'
> > pastrami combo on club, and a plate of fries with a fresh bottle of
> > Heinz. And no sour tomatoes, what kinda Jew Joint is that???

> Pftthhggbbtt! No, he should have ordered what he wanted to eat -
> and it looks like he did. :-) You want the knish and the kishka and
> Dr. Brown's Cel-ray tonic, well, you should go and order it. :-)

C'mon, Barb... even you know chicken is no yardstick by which to
measure a restaurant... everything tastes like schicken! LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 04 Mar 2008 09:45:51a, Sqwertz told us...

> On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 12:18:33 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Never heard of it.

>> Microsoft Internet Explorer version 7. It's a tabbed browser. I have
>> yet to have it fail to show any web page.

> Maybe not, but it stalls loading pages - not only the browser,
> but you're whole computer. I had to use it for Fantasy Football
> last season and it sucks when you compare it to Seamonkey.
>
> -sw

It has never stalled on me, but then, I'm not a gamer. I have no problems
with it, and I like it's interoperability with MS Office.

The last "other" browser I used was Netscape. Hated it!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 03(III)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Memorial Day
11wks 5dys 13hrs 25mins
I lost a button hole today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Sheldon > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:
> > >
> > > You shouda ordered a kasha k'nish,
> > > some kishka, and tried the chopped liver... and ate a hot dog w/kraut
> > > washed down with a cel-ray tonic while waiting for a zoftig tongue n'
> > > pastrami combo on club, and a plate of fries with a fresh bottle of
> > > Heinz. And no sour tomatoes, what kinda Jew Joint is that???

> > Pftthhggbbtt! No, he should have ordered what he wanted to eat -
> > and it looks like he did. :-) You want the knish and the kishka and
> > Dr. Brown's Cel-ray tonic, well, you should go and order it. :-)

> C'mon, Barb... even you know chicken is no yardstick by which to
> measure a restaurant... everything tastes like schicken! LOL

No single menu item could be a yard stick on which to measure a
restaurant, so I tend to agree with you. That's one of the reasons I
also ordered the kasha and the matzoh ball soup, both of which are
staples in a Jewish deli. It is also why I purchased their Kosher
salami, cucumber salad, and macaroni salad to go. The pickles and health
salad I ate at the 2nd Ave. Deli were also first rate. So was the food I
ate later that day at home.

That being said, I don't claim my review was comprehensive, because it
was clearly not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 4, 9:50�pm, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> �Sheldon > wrote:
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > > �Pftthhggbbtt! � � No, he should have ordered what he wanted to eat -
> > > and it looks like he did. �:-) � You want the knish and the kishka and
> > > Dr. Brown's Cel-ray tonic, well, you should go and order it. �:-) �

> > C'mon, Barb... even you know chicken is no yardstick by which to
> > measure a restaurant... everything tastes like schicken! LOL

> No single menu item could be a yard stick on which to measure a
> restaurant, so I tend to agree with you. That's one of the reasons I
> also ordered the kasha and the matzoh ball soup, both of which are
> staples in a Jewish deli. It is also why I purchased their Kosher
> salami, cucumber salad, and macaroni salad to go. The pickles and health
> salad I ate at the 2nd Ave. Deli were also first rate. So was the food I
> ate later that day at home.
>
> That being said, I don't claim my review was comprehensive, because it
> was clearly not

Aside from any review I still wouldn't have gone all that way and then
ordered plain old chicken, and certainly not at $21 for that half
pigeon... it's actually not traditional for a kosher deli to serve
roast chicken, they typically served boiled chicken (how do you think
they make real chicken soup), that's why I bet the soup you had came
from a can... if there was no boiled chicken on the menu then they
definitely serve canned soup (doctored with lot's of eye candy
dillweed I see... kosher delis traditionally don't do garnish, the
food speaks for itself). And those salads came out of a five gallon
tub from a kosher wholesaler, same the pickles too, and you could have
bought that same brand of kosher salami in Philly. Even if you're not
into cured/smoked/spicey meats (they no longer prepare those on
premises either) you could have at least tried something they actually
may prepare on premises, perhaps their brisket (very likely buy that
ready cooked from a wholesaler too). Kosher delis don't prepare
their wares on premises anymore (not even k'nish), the cost of
adhering to kosher prep and the municipal health codes for a retail
estsablishment simultaneously is prohibitive, which is the primary
reason there are so few kosher delis remaining... the foods are now a
mere shadow of their former self. And just curious, what prompted you
to go all that way for lunch all by yourself... I went through your
entire report with bated breath waiting for the punch line, for you to
say who you met to help split a magnum of Heinz red. I'm glad you
enjoyed the day.

SHELDON
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:39:52 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> my long >>>>>>> > walk through the city. The photos are at

> have >>> yet to have it fail to show any web page.
> >>
> >> Maybe not, but it stalls loading pages - not only the browser,
> >> but you're whole computer. I had to use it for Fantasy Football
> >> last season and it sucks when you compare it to Seamonkey.

> > It has never stalled on me, but then, I'm not a gamer. I have no
> > problems with it, and I like it's interoperability with MS Office.

> Once you've used Seamonkey or Firefox and the plethora of
> plug-ins and extensions, you wouldn't want to go back to IE. I
> can't vouch for IE's Office integration.

Yeah, I was pretty pleased when Firefox became a standard option at
work, even though occasional cumpnee pages are broken so that they are
IE only.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5 Mar 2008 19:47:51 GMT, "Default User" >
wrote:

>Yeah, I was pretty pleased when Firefox became a standard option at
>work, even though occasional cumpnee pages are broken so that they are
>IE only.

We got a new laptop a month ago. Firefox was the first thing I put on
it. IE sucks.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

So who calls cole slaw "health salad"? Where did that get
started?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 05 Mar 2008 05:22:47p, Steve Pope told us...

> So who calls cole slaw "health salad"? Where did that get
> started?
>
> Steve

Before you were born. It's a Jewish deli thing, especially in the East.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Wednesday, 03(III)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Sheldon > wrote:

> On Mar 4, 9:50?pm, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> >

> > ?Sheldon > wrote:

> > > C'mon, Barb... even you know chicken is no yardstick by which to
> > > measure a restaurant... everything tastes like schicken! LOL

> > No single menu item could be a yard stick on which to measure a
> > restaurant, so I tend to agree with you. That's one of the reasons I
> > also ordered the kasha and the matzoh ball soup, both of which are
> > staples in a Jewish deli. It is also why I purchased their Kosher
> > salami, cucumber salad, and macaroni salad to go. The pickles and health
> > salad I ate at the 2nd Ave. Deli were also first rate. So was the food I
> > ate later that day at home.
> >
> > That being said, I don't claim my review was comprehensive, because it
> > was clearly not

> Aside from any review I still wouldn't have gone all that way and then
> ordered plain old chicken, and certainly not at $21 for that half
> pigeon... it's actually not traditional for a kosher deli to serve
> roast chicken, they typically served boiled chicken (how do you think
> they make real chicken soup), that's why I bet the soup you had came
> from a can... if there was no boiled chicken on the menu then they
> definitely serve canned soup (doctored with lot's of eye candy

You're speaking out of ignorance. Boiled chicken was on the menu. I am
not a boil chicken fan and it was the same price as the baked chicken,
which is indeed a staple in any decent Kosher deli.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 4>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Wed 05 Mar 2008 05:22:47p, Steve Pope told us...
>
> > So who calls cole slaw "health salad"? Where did that get
> > started?
> >
> > Steve
> >

> Before you were born. It's a Jewish deli thing, especially in the East.

Cole slaw has mayo. Health salad is vinegar based.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 18:53:49 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 17:02:05 -0600, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On 5 Mar 2008 19:47:51 GMT, "Default User" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Yeah, I was pretty pleased when Firefox became a standard option at
>>>work, even though occasional cumpnee pages are broken so that they are
>>>IE only.

>> We got a new laptop a month ago. Firefox was the first thing I put on
>> it. IE sucks.

>The first thing I do on any Windows installation is download
>Seamonkey (or Firefox). And it invariably stalls for 45 seconds
>while "Detecting proxy settings...", probably phoning home to
>tell Bill that he has a new IE user so he can masturbate.
>
>If I really *have* to use IE for something, I use IETab from
>within Firefox/Seamonkey. That way you still have your familiar
>browser, it's just running IE in that particular tab.
>
>-sw

i tried using that add-on to firefox, but it only returned a blank
page for me. i'm guessing it's because i have windows millennium.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 19:10:14 GMT, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 17:33:18 GMT, blake murphy wrote:
>
>> i'm guessing it's because i have windows millennium.

>You actually sound serious...

i'm totally serious.

>Irf you insist on using Windows, download a copy of Windows 2000
>Professional and install that ASAP. It will add no more overhead
>to your computer than ME.
>
>Or just install XP and find the correct crack for it.

i'm guessing either of these would cost money.

your pal,
blake

Deli Man gtr General Cooking 8 21-08-2015 11:33 PM
Second Ave. Deli Gets A Mention Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] General Cooking 1 29-12-2008 01:33 PM
Deli's LucasP General Cooking 5 08-05-2006 05:50 AM
2nd Ave. Deli RIP Stan Horwitz General Cooking 50 25-02-2006 04:33 AM