Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chilean grapes

That's what they're called. That's what they're advertised as. That's
what they're labeled to be. They look like grapes. They act like
grapes in that if you drop one on the floor it bounces under the table
like a grape. But they're not grapes because grapes taste like grapes
and these have no taste. They're just little balls of water. Green
ones just a tad better than the red, but nothing like a California
grown seedless Thompson. I'm glad they talked the Chilean farmers into
growing foodstuffs instead of coca plants, but lordy lordy their stuff
can't touch American grown. Peaches are pretty on the outside but
grainy and tasteless on the inside. No competition for Georgia. Same
with plums, pears, and cherries. Can't wait til spring gets here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

raymond wrote:
> That's what they're called. That's what they're advertised as. That's
> what they're labeled to be. They look like grapes. They act like
> grapes in that if you drop one on the floor it bounces under the table
> like a grape. But they're not grapes because grapes taste like grapes
> and these have no taste. They're just little balls of water. Green
> ones just a tad better than the red, but nothing like a California
> grown seedless Thompson. I'm glad they talked the Chilean farmers into
> growing foodstuffs instead of coca plants, but lordy lordy their stuff
> can't touch American grown. Peaches are pretty on the outside but
> grainy and tasteless on the inside. No competition for Georgia. Same
> with plums, pears, and cherries. Can't wait til spring gets here.

I've been buying excellent Chilean grapes for years and just like
American grown grapes, sometimes you get a bunch that isn't primo tasting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> raymond wrote:
>> That's what they're called. That's what they're advertised as. That's
>> what they're labeled to be. They look like grapes. They act like
>> grapes in that if you drop one on the floor it bounces under the table
>> like a grape. But they're not grapes because grapes taste like grapes
>> and these have no taste. They're just little balls of water. Green
>> ones just a tad better than the red, but nothing like a California
>> grown seedless Thompson. I'm glad they talked the Chilean farmers into
>> growing foodstuffs instead of coca plants, but lordy lordy their stuff
>> can't touch American grown. Peaches are pretty on the outside but
>> grainy and tasteless on the inside. No competition for Georgia. Same
>> with plums, pears, and cherries. Can't wait til spring gets here.

> I've been buying excellent Chilean grapes for years and just like
> American grown grapes, sometimes you get a bunch that isn't primo tasting.

You beat me to the punch Goomba, been eating Chilean grapes and peaches
all week and they'be tasted just like any other grape or peach I've ever
bought.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 > wrote in
:

> raymond wrote:
>> That's what they're called. That's what they're advertised as. That's
>> what they're labeled to be. They look like grapes. They act like
>> grapes in that if you drop one on the floor it bounces under the
>> table like a grape. But they're not grapes because grapes taste like
>> grapes and these have no taste. They're just little balls of water.
>> Green ones just a tad better than the red, but nothing like a
>> California grown seedless Thompson. I'm glad they talked the Chilean
>> farmers into growing foodstuffs instead of coca plants, but lordy
>> lordy their stuff can't touch American grown. Peaches are pretty on
>> the outside but grainy and tasteless on the inside. No competition
>> for Georgia. Same with plums, pears, and cherries. Can't wait til
>> spring gets here.

> I've been buying excellent Chilean grapes for years and just like
> American grown grapes, sometimes you get a bunch that isn't primo
> tasting.

Some Chilean wine isn't too bad........ so they must be using all their
good grapes for that :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

Wars begin where you will...
but they do not end where you please.

Machiavelli
Posted to rec.food.cooking

raymond wrote:
> That's what they're called. That's what they're advertised as. That's
> what they're labeled to be. They look like grapes. They act like
> grapes in that if you drop one on the floor it bounces under the table
> like a grape. But they're not grapes because grapes taste like grapes
> and these have no taste. They're just little balls of water. Green
> ones just a tad better than the red, but nothing like a California
> grown seedless Thompson. I'm glad they talked the Chilean farmers into
> growing foodstuffs instead of coca plants, but lordy lordy their stuff
> can't touch American grown. Peaches are pretty on the outside but
> grainy and tasteless on the inside. No competition for Georgia. Same
> with plums, pears, and cherries. Can't wait til spring gets here.

I used to get Chilean grapes in Saudi Arabia and they were about the
best I've ever had.

--
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kane wrote:
> raymond wrote:
>> That's what they're called. That's what they're advertised as. That's
>> what they're labeled to be. They look like grapes. They act like
>> grapes in that if you drop one on the floor it bounces under the table
>> like a grape. But they're not grapes because grapes taste like grapes
>> and these have no taste. They're just little balls of water. Green
>> ones just a tad better than the red, but nothing like a California
>> grown seedless Thompson. I'm glad they talked the Chilean farmers into
>> growing foodstuffs instead of coca plants, but lordy lordy their stuff
>> can't touch American grown. Peaches are pretty on the outside but
>> grainy and tasteless on the inside. No competition for Georgia. Same
>> with plums, pears, and cherries. Can't wait til spring gets here.

> I used to get Chilean grapes in Saudi Arabia and they were about the
> best I've ever had.

I got a kick out of buying the best Washington State apples I've ever
eaten in Saudi Arabia. My wife kept a vase of Dutch flowers on the
dining room table on a daily basis, flown in fresh from Amsterdam. It
was an amazing place to find foods from all over the world too. I agree
about the grapes also.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

raymond wrote:

> That's what they're called. That's what they're advertised as. That's
> what they're labeled to be. They look like grapes. They act like
> grapes in that if you drop one on the floor it bounces under the table
> like a grape. But they're not grapes because grapes taste like grapes
> and these have no taste. They're just little balls of water. Green
> ones just a tad better than the red, but nothing like a California
> grown seedless Thompson. I'm glad they talked the Chilean farmers into
> growing foodstuffs instead of coca plants, but lordy lordy their stuff
> can't touch American grown. Peaches are pretty on the outside but
> grainy and tasteless on the inside. No competition for Georgia. Same
> with plums, pears, and cherries. Can't wait til spring gets here.

Years back when I was pregnant with my son and horribly morning sick the
only thing I wanted was fresh fruit and skim milk. It was not the right
time of the year, at least not for the peaches I craved so desperately.

So I paid a premium for imported Chilean peaches that at least looked
and smelled promising.

The next morning at break time I pulled out a peach that I'd brought
from home and bit into it. It was so disgusting and mealy that I
actually retched and had to hurry up and spit it into a handful of
napkins. A co-worker who'd been telling a mildly gross story apologized
profusely until I explained that my reaction had nothing to do with
anything she said.

I don't buy winter peaches any more. The imported cherries are okay,
though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

PeterLucas wrote:

> Some Chilean wine isn't too bad........ so they must be using all their
> good grapes for that :-)

It really gripes me to agree with you, but I think you may be on to
something!

I haven't found much in the way of imported Chilean fruit that has
been good. The grapes seem like they have been treated with a chemical
(to retard mold perhaps or keep them from spoiling? Pesticides?) I
have NEVER gotten a good Chilean peach or nectarine. Cherries I bought
were bland. And ya know, right now I just don't trust our USDA or
whoever it is that certifies imported produce is safe for our
consumption. Look at the China debacle. Admittedly, I am spoiled to
the fresh fruit here in sunny Northern California, and I must be
patient and wait for it to be in season.

But, Chilean wine can be a very fine thing indeed.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> Goomba38 wrote:
>> raymond wrote:
>>> That's what they're called. That's what they're advertised as. That's
>>> what they're labeled to be. They look like grapes. They act like
>>> grapes in that if you drop one on the floor it bounces under the table
>>> like a grape. But they're not grapes because grapes taste like grapes
>>> and these have no taste.

>> I've been buying excellent Chilean grapes for years and just like
>> American grown grapes, sometimes you get a bunch that isn't primo
>> tasting.

> You beat me to the punch Goomba, been eating Chilean grapes and peaches
> all week and they'be tasted just like any other grape or peach I've ever
> bought.
>
> George

I've bought them for years and they often taste better than
the summer California
varieties.

Peaches and plums haven't been great the past few years
either in summer or winter.
I believe they are picked too green to prevent spoilage and
they never really ripen.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin > wrote in news:d1e403b3-ffc5-4a45-8292-
:

> Admittedly, I am spoiled to
> the fresh fruit here in sunny Northern California, and I must be
> patient and wait for it to be in season.

One wonders at the meaning of "fresh".

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...les-10-months-
old/2008/01/19/1200620272669.html

http://tinyurl.com/2psqp9

> But, Chilean wine can be a very fine thing indeed.

And there's some really nice Sth African wines too.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

Wars begin where you will...
but they do not end where you please.

Machiavelli

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> John Kane wrote:
>> raymond wrote:
>>> That's what they're called. That's what they're advertised as. That's
>>> what they're labeled to be. They look like grapes. They act like
>>> grapes in that if you drop one on the floor it bounces under the table
>>> like a grape. But they're not grapes because grapes taste like grapes
>>> and these have no taste. They're just little balls of water. Green
>>> ones just a tad better than the red, but nothing like a California
>>> grown seedless Thompson. I'm glad they talked the Chilean farmers into
>>> growing foodstuffs instead of coca plants, but lordy lordy their stuff
>>> can't touch American grown. Peaches are pretty on the outside but
>>> grainy and tasteless on the inside. No competition for Georgia. Same
>>> with plums, pears, and cherries. Can't wait til spring gets here.

>> I used to get Chilean grapes in Saudi Arabia and they were about the
>> best I've ever had.
>>

> I got a kick out of buying the best Washington State apples I've ever
> eaten in Saudi Arabia. My wife kept a vase of Dutch flowers on the
> dining room table on a daily basis, flown in fresh from Amsterdam. It
> was an amazing place to find foods from all over the world too. I agree
> about the grapes also.
>
> George

And for some reason the local supermarket had the best roasted peanuts I
have ever had.

--
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada