Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pasta Express Machine any good? Worth it?

After having seen a post within this NG re a Pasta Express Machine, I
decided to check it out and see that it is the same machine I have
seen on infomericals, under various names. I love pasta, but are these
machines any good or is making fresh pasta worth the time it takes to
do so?

For those who own these or have, I would love to read your opinions on
this pasta maker.

Thanks,
Anthony
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 6:42*am, Anthony Ferrante >
wrote:
> After having seen a post within this NG re a Pasta Express Machine, I
> decided to check it out and see that it is the same machine I have
> seen on infomericals, under various names. I love pasta, but are these
> machines any good or is making fresh pasta worth the time it takes to
> do so?
>
> For those who own these or have, I would love to read your opinions on
> this pasta maker.
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony

Hi Anthony!
From what I understand, most of the pasta machines that extrude the
pasta are worthless. A roller type is what I use with good luck...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> After having seen a post within this NG re a Pasta Express Machine, I
> decided to check it out and see that it is the same machine I have
> seen on infomericals, under various names. I love pasta, but are these
> machines any good or is making fresh pasta worth the time it takes to
> do so?
>
> For those who own these or have, I would love to read your opinions on
> this pasta maker.
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony

Hi Anthony!
From what I understand, most of the pasta machines that extrude the
pasta are worthless. A roller type is what I use with good luck...

They get all mucked up quickly. An ounce of moisture after you wash them,
you're dead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:47:22 -0500, "Kswck" >
wrote:

>"merryb" > wrote in message
>On Feb 28, 6:42 am, Anthony Ferrante >
>wrote:
>> After having seen a post within this NG re a Pasta Express Machine, I
>> decided to check it out and see that it is the same machine I have
>> seen on infomericals, under various names. I love pasta, but are these
>> machines any good or is making fresh pasta worth the time it takes to
>> do so?
>>
>> For those who own these or have, I would love to read your opinions on
>> this pasta maker.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Anthony

>Hi Anthony!
> From what I understand, most of the pasta machines that extrude the
>pasta are worthless. A roller type is what I use with good luck...
>
>They get all mucked up quickly. An ounce of moisture after you wash them,
>you're dead.

I appreciate your input, but I know the way you like to make fresh
pasta requires much more work. Is the taste difference that noticeable
to make worth all that effort?

Thanks,
Anthony
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony Ferrante > wrote in
:

> Is the taste difference that noticeable
> to make worth all that effort?

yes it is.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kswck" > wrote:

> Hi Anthony!
> From what I understand, most of the pasta machines that extrude the
> pasta are worthless. A roller type is what I use with good luck...
>
> They get all mucked up quickly. An ounce of moisture after you wash them,
> you're dead.

You wash it? I think my instructions said to not do that. I never
have. I don't cut paper with it, either; it said to not do that,
either. ;-)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; I Think I've Seen it All, 2/24/2008
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 6:49*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *"Kswck" > wrote:
> > Hi Anthony!
> > *From what I understand, most of the pasta machines that extrude the
> > pasta are worthless. A roller type is what I use with good luck...

> > They get all mucked up quickly. An ounce of moisture after you wash them,
> > you're dead.

> You wash it? *I think my instructions said to not do that. *I never
> have. *I don't cut paper with it, either; *it said to not do that,
> either. *;-)
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://www.jamlady.eboard.com;I Think I've Seen it All, 2/24/2008

You are right- this, like your rolling pin, should probably never be
washed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anthony Ferrante"
> I appreciate your input, but I know the way you like to make fresh
> pasta requires much more work. Is the taste difference that noticeable
> to make worth all that effort?
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony

What you can extrude at home is not really pasta asciutta. It's too loose
and grainy and won't ever be equal to what you can buy, let alone what you
can make and roll.
If you want to make eggfree pasta use semolina hard wheat, water and oil per
recipe usually on the packages in the US. Knead as directed then roll using
the roller. You can then make all kinds if shapes from the dough. Just
look at a pasta shapes website and you'll see many that can be handformed
from sheets of dough.

Then dry them and you have pasta asciutta that's good. It won't be perfect,
but that's good, right?

By using various rods, you can even make tubular shapes... now that takes a
while.--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Anthony Ferrante > wrote:

> I appreciate your input, but I know the way you like to make fresh
> pasta requires much more work. Is the taste difference that noticeable
> to make worth all that effort?
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony

Anthony, I've used both an extruder (an attachment to my Kitchen-Aid
mixer) and a roller. I've had success with both. I think it's a lot
harder to get the consistency of the dough right for using with an
extruder than for using with a roller.

I've looked at the Pasta Express machine (not the pasta cooker) and it
looks swell. If you get one, be sure you are prepared to follow the
measuring instructions exactly.

As far as "all that effort," I don't mind the effort for some things.
YMMV. Good luck with it and I hope you'll tell us how it works out for
you.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; I Think I've Seen it All, 2/24/2008
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 09:42:35 -0500, Anthony Ferrante
> wrote:

>After having seen a post within this NG re a Pasta Express Machine, I
>decided to check it out and see that it is the same machine I have
>seen on infomericals, under various names. I love pasta, but are these
>machines any good or is making fresh pasta worth the time it takes to
>do so?
>
>For those who own these or have, I would love to read your opinions on
>this pasta maker.

In the 80s, extruders were all the rage. I once got an extruder as a
gift, as did friends of mine. Our experience was all the same. The
extruders come with several dies, which are made of plastic. One will
quickly become your favorite. But the plastic can't handle the forces
and will just as quickly break, and you can't make that pasta anymore.
You'll switch to another die, and it too will break. You can order
replacements, but you won't. The cost of the plastic die and shipping
and handling is almost as much as you paid for the original machine.
The machine will sit in your cabinet unused for a few years then go
into a garage sale for two bucks. It will sell for a dollar, because
your favorite pasta shape is everybody elses, too, but that die is
broken.

The quality of the pasta made with my extruder was poor. Worse than
store bought. I didn't know that at the time, but when I trashed my
extruder I bought an Imperia manual machine, and it became obvious
with the first batch. It's more time and effort, but the quality of
fresh pasta made with my Imperia is noticeably better than
store-bought pasta, and is worlds above what I got from my extruder.
Plus, my Imperia has been trucking now for about 20 years with no sign
of wear and no breakage. And I make pasta shapes, like long and wide
lasagna pasta, and flavors that I couldn't make with the extruder,
such as our favorite sun dried tomato flavored. The pieces of sun
dried tomatoes clogged up the extruder die, but the Imperia
incorporates them easily. A few years ago I got another extruder as a
gift. I sold it on Ebay unopened.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 28, 9:42�am, Anthony Ferrante >
wrote:
> After having seen a post within this NG re a Pasta Express Machine, I
> decided to check it out and see that it is the same machine I have
> seen on infomericals, under various names. I love pasta, but are these
> machines any good or is making fresh pasta worth the time it takes to
> do so?
>
> For those who own these or have, I would love to read your opinions on
> this pasta maker.

Every extruded shape can be purchased from a multitude of pasta
manufacturers. I don't see the point in making one's own pasta unless
you want flavored/herbed pasta, but then you can use a sauce of
whatever flavor you like. And sheet pasta is readily available in
various size squares to large sheets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>extruder I bought an Imperia manual machine, and it became obvious

Just out of curiosity, I went to Ebay and put in the above information
and look how much the one that came up costs or is going for!

http://cgi.ebay.com/PASTA-MACHINE-IM...QQcmdZViewItem

Anthony
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Just out of curiosity, I went to Ebay and put in the above information
> and look how much the one that came up costs or is going for!

er, i think you're looking at their high end model. my imperia was ~$60 and
is still built like a tank, though i'm not allowed to touch it. i am banned
from the kitchen when dearest christina and her friends have a pasta party.

joe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anthony Ferrante" > ha scritto nel messaggio

>>extruder I bought an Imperia manual machine, and it became obvious

> Just out of curiosity, I went to Ebay and put in the above information
> and look how much the one that came up costs or is going for!
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/PASTA-MACHINE-IM...QQcmdZViewItem
>
> Anthony

That's commercial sized roller. You'd never need that at home, and most
restaurants use a home model anyway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Mar 2008 23:12:40 -0500, Anthony Ferrante
> wrote:

>>extruder I bought an Imperia manual machine, and it became obvious

>Just out of curiosity, I went to Ebay and put in the above information
>and look how much the one that came up costs or is going for!
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/PASTA-MACHINE-IM...QQcmdZViewItem

That's a commercial model that makes restaurant-sized portions. This
is one like mine.

http://www.kitchenemporium.com/cgi-b...d/38vw150.html

There is also an Atlas, that may be a tad better. At least it costs a
tad more. Folks in this NG can give you their opinions.

http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Original.../dp/B0009U5OSO