Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Speaking of Peeling Potatoes...

I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain ol' russet
potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always peel the potatoes prior to
dicing them up for soup. Do you?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain
> ol' russet potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always
> peel the potatoes prior to dicing them up for soup. Do
> you?

nope. i only peel potatoes if they're really mucky or if it's
a formal meal
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain
>> ol' russet potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always
>> peel the potatoes prior to dicing them up for soup. Do
>> you?

> nope. i only peel potatoes if they're really mucky or if it's
> a formal meal

All the vitamins are in the skin or so I have read

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain ol' russet
> potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always peel the potatoes prior
> to dicing them up for soup. Do you?
>
> Jill

Not normally, you just lose nutrients but if you're planning to puré the
potatoes it's a different matter.

--
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain ol' russet
> potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always peel the potatoes prior to
> dicing them up for soup. Do you?

I rarely peel them any more for anything. My family doesn't mine the peel.
If they seem to have a lot of spots on them, I might. The ones I used last
night had a lot of black on them that wouldn't scrub off. These were Yukon
golds. I was in a hurry so rather than peel them, I used my paring knife to
cut off that part of the peel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote:
> I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain ol' russet
> potatoes. �I scrub them well but I don't always peel the potatoes prior to
> dicing them up for soup. �Do you?

Depends on the soup and eyesight... a creamy potato soup would look
mighty nasty with skins floating about like old used condoms. When
pureed with the skins the soup will have an off-putting color so it
looks contaminated. I always peel diced/sliced potatoes because the
skins will slip off during cooking and that ruins the presentation,
especially with bits of skins partially dangling like a snotty
nostril. But I don't always peel chunked potatoes for stew/
roasting... often I will partially peel whole potatoes for sake of
aesthetics. I've prepared potato salads with unpeeled spuds but they
look awful, the skins fall off and tend to gather like knots of tape
worms, not very appetizing.

I don't always waste potato parings... if I prepare a large meat loaf
I may peel an entire five pound bag of spuds for mashed or roasted...
but then I grind all the parings in when I grind the meat. I've also
baked dark breads and added pureed potato parings. And even if I
don't comsume parings now I'll consume them later, I add all veggie
parings to my composter, those skins end up in my garden and
eventually I'll consume them in the form of tomatoes

SHELDON
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain
>> ol' russet potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always
>> peel the potatoes prior to dicing them up for soup. Do
>> you?

> I rarely peel them any more for anything. My family
> doesn't mine the peel. If they seem to have a lot of spots
> on them, I might. The ones I used last night had a lot of
> black on them that wouldn't scrub off. These were Yukon
> golds. I was in a hurry so rather than peel them, I used
> my paring knife to cut off that part of the peel.

a couple years ago there was a lot of hype about Yukon Gold
potatoes & how wonderfully buttery they were. i bought some.
they were not good. never bought them again.
my standard 'storage' potato is Katahden, but i grow All-Red,
All-Blue, Russian Fingerling & a Swedish fingerling type i
forget the name of also. All-Blue mashed potatoes aren't very
attractive...
what's your favorite potato?
lee

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
It wasn't there again today
The host resolved to NSA.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma > wrote:

> �what's your favorite potato?

That's like asking what's your favorite beef cut... for what use?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"enigma" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
>

>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>> I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain
>>> ol' russet potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always
>>> peel the potatoes prior to dicing them up for soup. Do
>>> you?

>> I rarely peel them any more for anything. My family
>> doesn't mine the peel. If they seem to have a lot of spots
>> on them, I might. The ones I used last night had a lot of
>> black on them that wouldn't scrub off. These were Yukon
>> golds. I was in a hurry so rather than peel them, I used
>> my paring knife to cut off that part of the peel.

> a couple years ago there was a lot of hype about Yukon Gold
> potatoes & how wonderfully buttery they were. i bought some.
> they were not good. never bought them again.
> my standard 'storage' potato is Katahden, but i grow All-Red,
> All-Blue, Russian Fingerling & a Swedish fingerling type i
> forget the name of also. All-Blue mashed potatoes aren't very
> attractive...
> what's your favorite potato?
> lee

Small unpeeled white-skin potatoes as new as possible if they
not to be baked. For baking, I like Russet or Idahos and I eat
the skins!

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain ol' russet
> potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always peel the potatoes prior
> to dicing them up for soup. Do you?

I gave up on peeling potatoes once I started having to cook 10 pounds at
a time to have enough to feed the starving hoardes here as a side dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:

> a couple years ago there was a lot of hype about Yukon Gold
> potatoes & how wonderfully buttery they were. i bought some.
> they were not good. never bought them again.

Keep looking. I have had WONDERFUL ones and ones that seemed like
fakes. The wonderful ones really did have a buttery taste. The fakes
tasted like regular white potatoes.

> my standard 'storage' potato is Katahden, but i grow All-Red,
> All-Blue, Russian Fingerling & a Swedish fingerling type i
> forget the name of also. All-Blue mashed potatoes aren't very
> attractive...
> what's your favorite potato?

I love the good Yukons, but it's hard finding ones I trust to be good.
I also like red potatoes, but I like eating a cold potato out of hand
like an apple and they hold together well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote:

> I like Russet or Idahos.

You mean they're different?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Samantha Hill - take out TRASH to reply"

> I love the good Yukons, but it's hard finding ones I trust to be good. I
> also like red potatoes, but I like eating a cold potato out of hand like
> an apple and they hold together well.

I am still in love with russets. I got a great deal on a 9-lb whole
sirloin, and after portioning and freezing, made two large pots
of vegetable beef soup, putting the russets in at the very end,
so that the pieces remained whole but are utterly tender and
delicious. Different from what you like in a potato, I guess?
It's the earthy flavor and succulent texture I love. (I dislike
the waxiness of red potatoes ...) But what is bad about russets
is how easily they are over cooked and just disappear into soups
and stews.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> "James Silverton" wrote:
>>
>> I like Russet or Idahos.

> You mean they're different?

So Idahos are a variety of russet, so what, you nitpicking old ****.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain ol' russet
> potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always peel the potatoes prior to
> dicing them up for soup. Do you?

About half the time.

Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:
> enigma wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain
>>> ol' russet potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always
>>> peel the potatoes prior to dicing them up for soup. Do
>>> you?

>> nope. i only peel potatoes if they're really mucky or if it's
>> a formal meal

> All the vitamins are in the skin or so I have read

So are all the toxins. It's basically a wash -- aesthetics and
personal preference are good enough reasons to either peel or not peel.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>> enigma wrote:
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> nope. i only peel potatoes if they're really mucky or if it's
>>> a formal meal

>> All the vitamins are in the skin or so I have read

> So are all the toxins. It's basically a wash -- aesthetics and
> personal preference are good enough reasons to either peel or not
> peel.

Ok thanks) Then I shall not peel

> Serene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 9:42 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain ol' russet
> potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always peel the potatoes prior to
> dicing them up for soup. Do you?
>
> Jill

What is your recipe?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain ol' russet
> potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always peel the potatoes prior to
> dicing them up for soup. Do you?
>
> Jill

Here's an interesting recipe I just saw... the OP uses Simply Potatoes, the
large cube hash browns. I'd never heard of them, but I think I'll try and
find them. They're not frozen, but apparently found in dairy section.
Sorry but I like short cuts!

Brass Parrot Baked Potato Soup

Recipe by: Brass Parrot

Ingredients

6 russet potatoes -- peeled and sliced

1 1/2 quarts chicken stock

1/2 tablespoon white pepper

1/3 pound American cheese

2 cups whole milk

1 stick butter

1 cup all-purpose flour

sour cream -- for garnish

crumbled bacon -- for garnish

chopped chives -- for garnish

shredded cheese -- for garnish

Instructions

Bring stock to boil. Add white pepper and potatoes. Cook until potatoes are
about half done. In a separate pan, melt butter and add flour a little at a
time, stirring to make a roux. Cook roux about 3 minutes. Add roux to
potatoes a little at a time. Add cheese and milk. Turn down heat to very low
and simmer for about 15 minutes. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream,
chopped chives and shredded cheese. Makes one gallon of soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Chris Marksberry" > said:

> > I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain ol' russet
> > potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always peel the potatoes prior to
> > dicing them up for soup. Do you?

Not always -- sometimes I like the smoothness of peeled spuds, but I
also like the chewy addition of the skin on occasion.

> Here's an interesting recipe I just saw... the OP uses Simply Potatoes, the
> large cube hash browns. I'd never heard of them, but I think I'll try and
> find them. They're not frozen, but apparently found in dairy section.
> Sorry but I like short cuts!

I do too. :-)

> Brass Parrot Baked Potato Soup
>
> Recipe by: Brass Parrot

<snip>

Saved and boy, does that sound good...

--
Jani in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote in

oups.com:

> enigma > wrote:
>>
>> �what's your favorite potato?

> That's like asking what's your favorite beef cut... for
> what use?

well, i listed several varieties & mentioned All-Blue don't
make very good mashed.
which varieties do you like for baking? for mashing? for stew
or potato salad?

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
It wasn't there again today
The host resolved to NSA.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, said:
> Sheldon > wrote in
>
> oups.com:
>
> > enigma > wrote:
> >>
> >> �what's your favorite potato?

> > That's like asking what's your favorite beef cut... for
> > what use?

> well, i listed several varieties & mentioned All-Blue don't
> make very good mashed.
> which varieties do you like for baking? for mashing? for stew
> or potato salad?

I confess, I stick to basic Russet for all of the above. I also
like red potatoes on occasion too -- boiled whole with skins, sliced
and buttered hot, and covered with my mom's venison gravy. I miss my
mom *sigh*...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:

> I confess, I stick to basic Russet for all of the above. I also
> like red potatoes on occasion too -- boiled whole with skins, sliced
> and buttered hot, and covered with my mom's venison gravy.

I don't eat many potatoes because I react badly to them, but I have a
weakness for boiled new potatoes.

> I miss my
> mom *sigh*...

I miss my mom too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 6:42*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain ol' russet
> potatoes. *I scrub them well but I don't always peel the potatoes prior to
> dicing them up for soup. *Do you?

Potato skins are more tender and thin in the springtime. Peel potatoes
in the fall or winter, keep them on in the springtime, early summer.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, said:
> Little Malice wrote:
>
> > I confess, I stick to basic Russet for all of the above. I also
> > like red potatoes on occasion too -- boiled whole with skins, sliced
> > and buttered hot, and covered with my mom's venison gravy.

> I don't eat many potatoes because I react badly to them, but I have a
> weakness for boiled new potatoes.
>

> > I miss my mom *sigh*...
> >

> I miss my mom too.

I not only miss her personally, but I loved her cooking (is that how
you feel, Dave?). She was a terrible cook as a newlywed but by the
time I came along, she'd gotten very, very good at it...

--
Jani in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Feb 26, 9:42 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain ol' russet
>> potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always peel the potatoes prior
>> dicing them up for soup. Do you?
>>
>> Jill

> What is your recipe?

The one I was thinking of making is a replication of my paternal
grandmother's soup. All of my recipes are on my PC back in Tennessee so I
googled:

Grandma Mac's Potato Soup

The soup

4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/4 c. finely chopped onion
1/2 tsp. pepper
salt as needed
4 c. chicken stock or broth
water to cover
2 slices bacon, fried (not too crisp)

Bring stock and water to a boil and add onions, potatoes and other
seasonings. Boil about 20 minutes until potatoes are tender. Stir in
cooked bacon. Stir in rivlets until they are done. Serves 6.

The rivlets

3/4 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg

Combine flour and salt. Mix in egg until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Add to soup as directed.

NOTE: The rivlets (also called rivels) only take a few minute to cook.
They are optional. Back then I *always* peeled the potatoes.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
enigma > wrote:

> what's your favorite potato?
> lee

The ones my cousin prepared for me in a rural village in the foothills
of the Carpathian mountains of then-Czechoslovakia in October, 1992.

I usually have a waxy-type potato around and a mealy-type potato. I
don't know from varietals of those.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; I Think I've Seen it All, 2/24/2008
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 26, 5:11 pm, enigma > wrote:
> Sheldon > wrote
> oups.com:
>
> > enigma > wrote:

> >> �what's your favorite potato?

> > That's like asking what's your favorite beef cut... for
> > what use?

> well, i listed several varieties & mentioned All-Blue don't
> make very good mashed.
> which varieties do you like for baking? for mashing? for stew
> or potato salad?
>
> lee
> --
> Last night while sitting in my chair
> I pinged a host that wasn't there
> It wasn't there again today
> The host resolved to NSA.

I like Maine potatoes for mashed or anything requiring boiled
potatoes.
Best aroma and texture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:

> > > I miss my mom *sigh*...
> > >

> > I miss my mom too.

> I not only miss her personally, but I loved her cooking (is that how
> you feel, Dave?). She was a terrible cook as a newlywed but by the
> time I came along, she'd gotten very, very good at it...

My mother was a great cook. She loved to entertain and had a real knack for
preparing things ahead of time and then presenting a great dinner that
seemed to be effortless.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"enigma" > wrote in message
. ..
> Sheldon > wrote in
>
> oups.com:
>
>> enigma > wrote:
>>>
>>> �what's your favorite potato?

>> That's like asking what's your favorite beef cut... for
>> what use?

> well, i listed several varieties & mentioned All-Blue don't
> make very good mashed.
> which varieties do you like for baking? for mashing? for stew
> or potato salad?

My favorite for mashed is Klondike Rose which I haven't seen for a couple of
years. Next favorite would be Yukon Gold which I also like for roasted or
potato salad. Reds are also good for roasted or potato salad. Russets are
best for baking.

For soup or stew I just use whatever I have in the house most of the time.
But if it's a soup where I want the potato to sort of mash down, I would
likely use a russet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..

> > wrote in message
>> On Feb 26, 9:42 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>> I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain ol' russet
>>> potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always peel the potatoes prior
>>> dicing them up for soup. Do you?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> What is your recipe?

> The one I was thinking of making is a replication of my paternal
> grandmother's soup. All of my recipes are on my PC back in Tennessee so I
> googled:
>
> Grandma Mac's Potato Soup
>
> The soup
>
> 4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
> 1/4 c. finely chopped onion
> 1/2 tsp. pepper
> salt as needed
> 4 c. chicken stock or broth
> water to cover
> 2 slices bacon, fried (not too crisp)
>
> Bring stock and water to a boil and add onions, potatoes and other
> seasonings. Boil about 20 minutes until potatoes are tender. Stir in
> cooked bacon. Stir in rivlets until they are done. Serves 6.
>
> The rivlets
>
> 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
> 1/2 tsp. salt
> 1 large egg
>
> Combine flour and salt. Mix in egg until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
> Add to soup as directed.
>
> NOTE: The rivlets (also called rivels) only take a few minute to cook.
> They are optional. Back then I *always* peeled the potatoes.

I had a recipe for those but they were called "ribbels" and they were boiled
in tomato soup. Interesting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> > wrote in message

>>> What is your recipe?

>> The one I was thinking of making is a replication of my paternal
>> grandmother's soup. All of my recipes are on my PC back in Tennessee so
>> I googled:
>>
>> Grandma Mac's Potato Soup
>>
>> The soup
>>
>> 4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
>> 1/4 c. finely chopped onion
>> 1/2 tsp. pepper
>> salt as needed
>> 4 c. chicken stock or broth
>> water to cover
>> 2 slices bacon, fried (not too crisp)
>>
>> Bring stock and water to a boil and add onions, potatoes and other
>> seasonings. Boil about 20 minutes until potatoes are tender. Stir in
>> cooked bacon. Stir in rivlets until they are done. Serves 6.
>>
>> The rivlets
>>
>> 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
>> 1/2 tsp. salt
>> 1 large egg
>>
>> Combine flour and salt. Mix in egg until mixture resembles coarse
>> crumbs.
>> Add to soup as directed.
>>
>> NOTE: The rivlets (also called rivels) only take a few minute to cook.
>> They are optional. Back then I *always* peeled the potatoes.

> I had a recipe for those but they were called "ribbels" and they were
> boiled in tomato soup. Interesting.

In Grandma Mac's case it's a Pennsylvania Dutch (German) thing

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jmcquown > wrote:
>I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain ol' russet
>potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always peel the potatoes prior to
>dicing them up for soup. Do you?

If the soup is mostly potato, or the taters are being used to make it
creamy - yes.

If it's a veggie soup with taters - probably not (esp. if the taters are
organic). Scrub-a-dub-dub.

About a month ago I got teeny tiny Russian Banana taters from the market.
Some of them were about the size of my thumbnail. They got a good scrub
and in they went as-is.

Charlotte
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:42:18 GMT, "James Silverton"
> fired up random neurons and synapses
to opine:

>Small unpeeled white-skin potatoes as new as possible if they
>not to be baked. For baking, I like Russet or Idahos and I eat
>the skins!

I cry for happy! You Elbonian speaking!

<g>

I never understood what the deal was with "salt potatoes" when I lived
in Syracuse NY a zillion years ago (perhaps therein lies the rub: they
flourished in the Jurassic Period and no longer exist). The idea of
"salt potatoes" just sounds *wrong*. I never tried them, mainly b/c
my kids were small and the DH did *not* need added salt, but I've
always wondered a) are they markedly different than other small
potatoes, and b) what the attraction was.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain ol' russet
> potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always peel the potatoes prior to
> dicing them up for soup. Do you?
>
> Jill

Russet skins in potato soup????
NO,
NO,
NO,

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
:

> I never understood what the deal was with "salt potatoes"
> when I lived in Syracuse NY a zillion years ago (perhaps
> therein lies the rub: they flourished in the Jurassic
> Period and no longer exist). The idea of "salt potatoes"
> just sounds *wrong*. I never tried them, mainly b/c my
> kids were small and the DH did *not* need added salt, but
> I've always wondered a) are they markedly different than
> other small potatoes, and b) what the attraction was.

because they're GoooooooD!
actually, they're just new potatoes boiled in heavily salted
water, served with lots of (real) butter. so buttered new
potatos are pretty much the same thing, with less sodium.
salt potatoes use 1/2 cup salt to 3-5 pounds of potatoes, in
a 3 gallon pot.
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
> :
>
>> I never understood what the deal was with "salt potatoes"
>> when I lived in Syracuse NY a zillion years ago (perhaps
>> therein lies the rub: they flourished in the Jurassic
>> Period and no longer exist). The idea of "salt potatoes"
>> just sounds *wrong*. I never tried them, mainly b/c my
>> kids were small and the DH did *not* need added salt, but
>> I've always wondered a) are they markedly different than
>> other small potatoes, and b) what the attraction was.

> because they're GoooooooD!
> actually, they're just new potatoes boiled in heavily salted
> water, served with lots of (real) butter. so buttered new
> potatos are pretty much the same thing, with less sodium.
> salt potatoes use 1/2 cup salt to 3-5 pounds of potatoes, in
> a 3 gallon pot.

So they are sold ready cooked?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in
:

> enigma wrote:
>> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> I never understood what the deal was with "salt potatoes"
>>> when I lived in Syracuse NY a zillion years ago (perhaps
>>> therein lies the rub: they flourished in the Jurassic
>>> Period and no longer exist). The idea of "salt potatoes"
>>> just sounds *wrong*. I never tried them, mainly b/c my
>>> kids were small and the DH did *not* need added salt, but
>>> I've always wondered a) are they markedly different than
>>> other small potatoes, and b) what the attraction was.

>> because they're GoooooooD!
>> actually, they're just new potatoes boiled in heavily
>> salted water, served with lots of (real) butter. so
>> buttered new potatos are pretty much the same thing, with
>> less sodium. salt potatoes use 1/2 cup salt to 3-5 pounds
>> of potatoes, in a 3 gallon pot.

> So they are sold ready cooked?

well, at fairs & stuff, yes. in upstate NY you can buy 'salt
potato' kits in the stores, the bag of salt is in the bag of
potatoes. the farmstand where i buy veggies/fruit near the
summer place sells the potatoes & there's a basket with
premeasured baggies of salt next to them... you'd have to be
a bit lazy to buy a quarter cup of salt for 50 cents...
properly made salt potatoes shouldn't taste really salty,
BTW. if they do, you used too much salt or forgot to rinse
before buttering.

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
It wasn't there again today
The host resolved to NSA.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>> > I miss my mom too.

>> I not only miss her personally, but I loved her cooking (is that how
>> you feel, Dave?). She was a terrible cook as a newlywed but by the
>> time I came along, she'd gotten very, very good at it...

> My mother was a great cook. She loved to entertain and had a real knack
> for
> preparing things ahead of time and then presenting a great dinner that
> seemed to be effortless.

Miss my mom. Not her cooking. Encor frozen was her signature dish.
Unfortunately, eldest daughter (she of the hour long boiled egg) inherited
her grandmother's 'cooking abilities'.......
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 17:54:02 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
>> On Feb 26, 9:42 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>> I'm thinking about making a pot of potato soup using plain ol' russet
>>> potatoes. I scrub them well but I don't always peel the potatoes prior
>>> dicing them up for soup. Do you?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> What is your recipe?

>The one I was thinking of making is a replication of my paternal
>grandmother's soup. All of my recipes are on my PC back in Tennessee so I
>googled:
>
>Grandma Mac's Potato Soup
>
>The soup
>
>4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
>1/4 c. finely chopped onion
>1/2 tsp. pepper
>salt as needed
>4 c. chicken stock or broth
>water to cover
>2 slices bacon, fried (not too crisp)
>
>Bring stock and water to a boil and add onions, potatoes and other
>seasonings. Boil about 20 minutes until potatoes are tender. Stir in
>cooked bacon. Stir in rivlets until they are done. Serves 6.
>
>The rivlets
>
>3/4 c. all-purpose flour
>1/2 tsp. salt
>1 large egg
>
>Combine flour and salt. Mix in egg until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
>Add to soup as directed.
>
>NOTE: The rivlets (also called rivels) only take a few minute to cook.
>They are optional. Back then I *always* peeled the potatoes.
>
>Jill

Thanks for posting this. I was thinking about potato soup when I came
across your recipe.
--
Susan N.