Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Neapolitan deep-fried pizza

This looks pretty damn good.
http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?Dis...esolution=high

I need to get to Italy one of these days...

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson > wrote in message
> This looks pretty damn good.
> http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?Dis...esolution=high
>
> I need to get to Italy one of these days...

It looks like he premixes the mozzarella with herbs. It's a
little too much for me but I'd certainly give it a try after
talking with the owner.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:
> This looks pretty damn good.
> http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?Dis...esolution=high
>
> I need to get to Italy one of these days...
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

No need just to get pizza fritta. Just look for an area that has a large
Italian immigrant population and is proud of their food traditions. We
have at least 3 local mom & pop pizza joints here that make it and of
course we get it at the local Italian Church festivals every summer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I need to get to Italy one of these days...

i don't think i've ever seen a street in napoli that empty.....

joe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Curt Nelson > wrote in message
>> This looks pretty damn good.
>> http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?Dis...esolution=high
>>
>> I need to get to Italy one of these days...

> It looks like he premixes the mozzarella with herbs. It's a
> little too much for me but I'd certainly give it a try after
> talking with the owner.

I'd be surprised if the Scots had not been doing it for
years.......the land of deep-fried Mars bars and deeep-fried
haggis!

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Curt Nelson" >
wrote:

> This looks pretty damn good.
> http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?Dis...esolution=high
>
> I need to get to Italy one of these days...
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

You're not getting any younger, m'friend. Go.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Curt Nelson" > wrote in message
> This looks pretty damn good.
> http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?Dis...esolution=high
>
> I need to get to Italy one of these days...
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

I think I'll stick with the wood-oven baked panzerotti, from my mother's
home town of Bisceglie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:

> This looks pretty damn good.
> http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?Dis...esolution=high
>
> I need to get to Italy one of these days...
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

Speaking of which, I just came across Sophia
Loren's recipe for Fried Pizza Napolitano. However,
her version just fries the dough and then you put on your
sauce and toppings and fold it in half. So it's more
like a Navajo taco in concept.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:
> Curt Nelson wrote:
>
>> This looks pretty damn good.
>> http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?Dis...esolution=high
>>
>> I need to get to Italy one of these days...
>>
>> Hasta,
>> Curt Nelson

> Speaking of which, I just came across Sophia
> Loren's recipe for Fried Pizza Napolitano. However,
> her version just fries the dough and then you put on your
> sauce and toppings and fold it in half. So it's more
> like a Navajo taco in concept.
>
> Kate

I sometimes make something similar to Bittman's version. It isn't pizza
fritta but I am not into deep frying all that often:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/di...ng&oref=slogin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote

> No need just to get pizza fritta. Just look for an area that has a
> large Italian immigrant population and is proud of their food
> traditions. We have at least 3 local mom & pop pizza joints here

that
> make it and of course we get it at the local Italian Church

festivals
> every summer.

Good advice. How do you get panzerotto and calzone there?
Here we have the "pizzeria-version" calzone which is long as a regular
pizza's diameter, about 12", made with the same dough of pizzas and
plyed in half to form a semi-circular shape, filled with mozzarella,
tomato sauce and cooked ham (normale, about 4 euros each) or with an
addition of mushrooms and/or veggies (farcito, about 5-6 euros each).
Outsides of pizzerias there are bakeries and "pizza al trancio" (tr:
"pizza by the piece") shops, the latter serve 1" thick pizza baked in
large rectangular baking pans and cut in square palm-sized pieces.
Both bakeries and "pizza al trancio" sell small calzoni and
panzerotti, and usually they call calzoni the baked ones and
panzerotti the deep fried ones. The filling is almost always the same
as the "calzone normale" in pizzerias, and they range in price between
2 and 3 euros.
Calzone is my choice of favor when it happens to order take-over
pizzas from a pizzeria, since it keeps warm for longer than pizza,
which in pizzeria are usually very thin, opposed to the thick one they
sell "al trancio".
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'