Posted to talk.politics.animals,rec.food.cooking,alt.politics.greens,soc.retirement,talk.environment

Default Hispanics Charged With Animal Cruelty

On Feb 16, 3:31*pm, "Iconoclast" > wrote:
> [...]
> attorney's office Dec. 19, officials said. Chino police department Rural
> Crime Task Force detectives, who are trained in humane treatment of cattle,
> conducted investigations at the plant and interviewed witnesses to verify
> the Humane Society's allegations, according to police reports.
>
> Ramos said investigations were continuing and that his office was also
> cooperating with the U.S. Attorney's office.
>
> Police identified in the video 11 instances of alleged illegal activity
> between Oct. 11 and Nov. 9 of last year. The actions were documented by a
> Humane Society investigator working undercover at the plant. He shot footage
> with what was described in police reports as a pen camera attached to a
> button on his chest."
>
> In one scene, where Navarro is shown using a paddle to hit a non-ambulatory
> cow in the face and eye, detectives determined "it is obvious by the video
> that Navarro is attempting to get the animal to her feet and subsequently to
> the kill floor to be slaughtered," according to police reports.
>
> Cattle that cannot walk on their own are banned from the human meat supply
> because they are at higher risk of bovine spongiform encephalopathy,
> commonly known as mad cow disease.
>
> In voluntary interviews with the police, Navarro appeared to be "minimizing
> his role in the improper handling of the live animals by saying that it was
> Sanchez who had mistreated a cow by pulling it with a chain," according to
> police reports. Navarro seemed to have a good understanding of state and
> federal regulations on the treatment of cows, investigators wrote in the
> report.
>
> Navarro told Chino police that a former owner of the plant, Donny Hallmark,
> instructed him to use techniques such as forcing animals up with the
> forklift or holding water hoses to the nostrils of cattle.
>
> In four instances, the videos showed so-called "downer" cattle being
> executed after workers were unable to force them to their feet, police
> reports indicate.
>
> Those cows did not enter the human food supply. In another instance,
> however, a cow that had collapsed was shocked with a cattle prod until it
> eventually stood up and entered the slaughter box, according to the reports.
>
> Authorities are also considering action against the management of Hallmark
> for alleged unfair business practices, Ramos said.
>
> "For so many district attorneys, animal cruelty issues are very new," Wayne
> Pacelle, president of the Humane Society of the United States, said Friday..
> "It's a process. . . . Today we heard that he treats it as a serious issue.."
>
> The plant may not reopen until a plan for corrective action is submitted and
> approved by federal authorities.
>
> School districts nationwide have pulled suspect beef from their cafeteria
> menus, although the USDA has said no evidence was found that so-called
> downer cattle had entered the food supply.

Any group of people that can watch a bullfight and cheer about it,
would
love to watch these videos.

ted

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 06:37:32 -0800 (PST), Ted >
wrote:

>> Authorities are also considering action against the management of Hallmark
>> for alleged unfair business practices, Ramos said.

I certainly hope so

>> "For so many district attorneys, animal cruelty issues are very new," Wayne
>> Pacelle, president of the Humane Society of the United States, said Friday.
>> "It's a process. . . . Today we heard that he treats it as a serious issue."
>>
>> The plant may not reopen until a plan for corrective action is submitted and
>> approved by federal authorities.

I hope so and I hope upper management, those people who ordered
workers to prod downed cows until they got up (or lose their jobs) are
the ones who suffer the most consequences. Just because your hands
didn't do the job, doesn't mean you're not just as guilty or even more
guilty. An hourly paid worker isn't looking at the company's bottom
line - profit... the hourly worker is saying to himself "Do I really
want to eat that?"

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first