Old 17-02-2008, 02:37 PM posted to talk.politics.animals,rec.food.cooking,alt.politics.greens,soc.retirement,talk.environment

Default Hispanics Charged With Animal Cruelty

On Feb 16, 3:31*pm, "Iconoclast" wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...me-beef16feb16...

Cruelty charges filed against slaughterhouse boss
A video taken at the Chino facility prompted schools nationwide to pull beef
from their menus.
By Victoria Kim, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
February 16, 2008
San Bernardino County prosecutors on Friday filed felony charges against a
former Chino slaughterhouse manager who allegedly used cruel methods to
force ailing cattle into the slaughter box. The charges follow last month's
release of a video showing treatment of animals at the plant, which led to
schools nationwide pulling beef from cafeterias.

In what prosecutors called unprecedented charges, Daniel Ugarte Navarro, 49,
of Pomona faces up to eight years and eight months in prison if convicted of
five felony counts of animal cruelty and three misdemeanor counts of illegal
movement of a non-ambulatory animal. Navarro, who was a head pen manager at
Hallmark Meat Packing, was shown using forklifts, electric prods and
high-pressure water hoses to force cows to their feet in the video
surreptitiously shot by the Humane Society of the United States.

"It makes your stomach turn to see what they did to the cows in this
situation," Dist. Atty. Michael A. Ramos said at a news conference Friday.
"We want to send the message that this kind of behavior will not be
tolerated."

Authorities also filed three misdemeanor counts against Navarro's assistant,
Luis Sanchez, 32, of Chino. Sanchez faces up to three years in prison if
convicted. Hallmark fired Navarro and Sanchez last month after the video's
release.

Neither Navarro nor Sanchez appeared at their arraignments Friday afternoon
at a Chino courthouse. Warrants were issued for their arrest.

Reached at his home Friday, Sanchez, a father of two, said he regretted his
actions and that he was only following orders.

"I did it because they ordered me to. I obeyed them; if not, I lost my job,"
Sanchez said in Spanish. "I knew it was illegal but they obliged me to do
it." Sanchez said he is an undocumented immigrant from Mexico and that he
worked at Hallmark for six years before he was fired last month. He is not
represented by an attorney.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture last week suspended inspections at
Hallmark, which in effect closed the plant. The USDA inspector general is
investigating the case, but this week several members of Congress also
called for an independent federal investigation of the safety of food the
USDA supplies to schools.

Hallmark was the second-largest supplier of ground beef to the National
School Lunch Program, which provides commodities and cash subsidies to
schools.

The Humane Society presented the video to the San Bernardino County district
attorney's office Dec. 19, officials said. Chino police department Rural
Crime Task Force detectives, who are trained in humane treatment of cattle,
conducted investigations at the plant and interviewed witnesses to verify
the Humane Society's allegations, according to police reports.

Ramos said investigations were continuing and that his office was also
cooperating with the U.S. Attorney's office.

Police identified in the video 11 instances of alleged illegal activity
between Oct. 11 and Nov. 9 of last year. The actions were documented by a
Humane Society investigator working undercover at the plant. He shot footage
with what was described in police reports as a pen camera attached to a
button on his chest."

In one scene, where Navarro is shown using a paddle to hit a non-ambulatory
cow in the face and eye, detectives determined "it is obvious by the video
that Navarro is attempting to get the animal to her feet and subsequently to
the kill floor to be slaughtered," according to police reports.

Cattle that cannot walk on their own are banned from the human meat supply
because they are at higher risk of bovine spongiform encephalopathy,
commonly known as mad cow disease.

In voluntary interviews with the police, Navarro appeared to be "minimizing
his role in the improper handling of the live animals by saying that it was
Sanchez who had mistreated a cow by pulling it with a chain," according to
police reports. Navarro seemed to have a good understanding of state and
federal regulations on the treatment of cows, investigators wrote in the
report.

Navarro told Chino police that a former owner of the plant, Donny Hallmark,
instructed him to use techniques such as forcing animals up with the
forklift or holding water hoses to the nostrils of cattle.

In four instances, the videos showed so-called "downer" cattle being
executed after workers were unable to force them to their feet, police
reports indicate.

Those cows did not enter the human food supply. In another instance,
however, a cow that had collapsed was shocked with a cattle prod until it
eventually stood up and entered the slaughter box, according to the reports.

Authorities are also considering action against the management of Hallmark
for alleged unfair business practices, Ramos said.

"For so many district attorneys, animal cruelty issues are very new," Wayne
Pacelle, president of the Humane Society of the United States, said Friday..
"It's a process. . . . Today we heard that he treats it as a serious issue.."

The plant may not reopen until a plan for corrective action is submitted and
approved by federal authorities.

School districts nationwide have pulled suspect beef from their cafeteria
menus, although the USDA has said no evidence was found that so-called
downer cattle had entered the food supply.

Any group of people that can watch a bullfight and cheer about it,
would
love to watch these videos.

ted

Old 17-02-2008, 04:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 06:37:32 -0800 (PST), Ted
wrote:

Authorities are also considering action against the management of Hallmark
for alleged unfair business practices, Ramos said.

I certainly hope so

"For so many district attorneys, animal cruelty issues are very new," Wayne
Pacelle, president of the Humane Society of the United States, said Friday.
"It's a process. . . . Today we heard that he treats it as a serious issue."

The plant may not reopen until a plan for corrective action is submitted and
approved by federal authorities.

I hope so and I hope upper management, those people who ordered
workers to prod downed cows until they got up (or lose their jobs) are
the ones who suffer the most consequences. Just because your hands
didn't do the job, doesn't mean you're not just as guilty or even more
guilty. An hourly paid worker isn't looking at the company's bottom
line - profit... the hourly worker is saying to himself "Do I really
want to eat that?"

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first