Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The 44 Cordial an Orange and Coffee Flavored Liqueur

Started this liqueur tonight. I'll let you know in 44 days how it
turned out.

Get a wide mouth jar with a tight fitting lid, 44 coffee beans, a
naval orange, a quart of white rum and a cup of sugar (sugar not
shown)
http://i28.tinypic.com/24gvqrb.jpg

Ready to hide for 44 days.
http://i25.tinypic.com/2178yc.jpg

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Orange and Coffee Flavored Liqueur, The 44 cordial

beverage alcohol

1 large naval orange
44 coffee beans
1 cup sugar; just over 44 tsp
1 liter white rum; roughly a quart

Poke 44 1-inch slits all over the orange with a paring knife; stuff a
coffee bean into each slit.

Put the orange along with the sugar and rum into a wide mouth jar with
a tight-sealing lid. Store and let steep in a cool, dark spot,
swirling the jar occasionally, for 44 days.

Remove and discard the orange and strain the liqueur through a
cheesecloth-lined strainer. Transfer to a clean bottle and store in
the freezer until ready to drink.

Serve neat or over ice.

Makes 4 cups

Contributor: Saveur Magazine

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 2/13
"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Started this liqueur tonight. I'll let you know in 44 days how it
> turned out.

What relationship, of any, does this have to Cuarenta y Tres, a liqueur
that went into
... was it a "Dreamsicle?" way back in the mists of pre-recorded time when
I was starting out as a bartender, do you know?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Started this liqueur tonight. I'll let you know in 44 days how it
> turned out.

What relationship, of any, does this have to Cuarenta y Tres, a liqueur
that went into
... was it a "Dreamsicle?" way back in the mists of pre-recorded time when
I was starting out as a bartender, do you know?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 02:15:57 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> Started this liqueur tonight. I'll let you know in 44 days how it
>> turned out.
>>

>What relationship, of any, does this have to Cuarenta y Tres, a liqueur
>that went into
> ... was it a "Dreamsicle?" way back in the mists of pre-recorded time when
>I was starting out as a bartender, do you know?

I'm not familiar with what a Cuarenta Y Tres is. I know what the
translation is but not the drink. What else was in it, it sounds like
something I could make with this.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 2/13
"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 02:15:57 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:

> I'm not familiar with what a Cuarenta Y Tres is. I know what the
> translation is but not the drink. What else was in it, it sounds like
> something I could make with this.

It is liqueur called "43." I wondered because what you are making is called
"44."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:10:41 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 02:15:57 -0500, "cybercat" >
>> wrote:

>> I'm not familiar with what a Cuarenta Y Tres is. I know what the
>> translation is but not the drink. What else was in it, it sounds like
>> something I could make with this.

>It is liqueur called "43." I wondered because what you are making is called
>"44."

Hmmm. I think I'll google that and see what it is. Do you remember how
to make the dreamsicle you spoke of? that sounds interesting.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 2/17