Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Removing Baked-on Oil from Pans

In researching the archives for how to clean oil from aluminum pans, I
found the advice mainly consisted of "elbow grease". However, I found
that a spray-on product called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in
removing oil residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper
towel. The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
marketed towards removing stickers and such. My own can is over 10
years old, so I don't know if the brand is still made any more, but
surely some other similar spray uses the same chemical. (WD-40 is not
effective.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Greg Esres > wrote:
:In researching the archives for how to clean oil from aluminum pans, I
:found the advice mainly consisted of "elbow grease". However, I found
:that a spray-on product called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in
:removing oil residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper
:towel. The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
:marketed towards removing stickers and such. My own can is over 10
:years old, so I don't know if the brand is still made any more, but
:surely some other similar spray uses the same chemical. (WD-40 is not
:effective.)

Xylol is more commonly known as xylene. It's the active ingredient in
a bunch of spot removers. Goof-Off is a commmon brand in most of the
US. It's used as a thinner is some paint processes, and in some
carburator cleaners. I'm not at all surprised it cleans your grease
off pans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Scheidt wrote:

<<Xylol is more commonly known as xylene.>>

Didn't know that, thanks. I've got plenty of Goof Off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 17:47:49 -0800 (PST), Greg Esres
> wrote:

>In researching the archives for how to clean oil from aluminum pans, I
>found the advice mainly consisted of "elbow grease". However, I found
>that a spray-on product called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in
>removing oil residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper
>towel. The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
>marketed towards removing stickers and such. My own can is over 10
>years old, so I don't know if the brand is still made any more, but
>surely some other similar spray uses the same chemical. (WD-40 is not
>effective.)

Hmmmm. If a product marketed to remove stickers etc is good, then Goo
Gone should work. Give it a try.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 14, 7:47*pm, Greg Esres > wrote:
> In researching the archives for how to clean oil from aluminum pans, I
> found the advice mainly consisted of "elbow grease". *However, I found
> that a spray-on product called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in
> removing oil residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper
> towel. *The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
> marketed towards removing stickers and such. *My own can is over 10
> years old, so I don't know if the brand is still made any more, but
> surely some other similar spray uses the same chemical. *(WD-40 is not
> effective.)

The best one I've found for removing baked-on residue is called
"Sokoff."

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 14, 8:47 pm, Greg Esres > wrote:
> In researching the archives for how to clean oil from aluminum pans, I
> found the advice mainly consisted of "elbow grease". However, I found
> that a spray-on product called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in
> removing oil residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper
> towel. The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
> marketed towards removing stickers and such. My own can is over 10
> years old, so I don't know if the brand is still made any more, but
> surely some other similar spray uses the same chemical. (WD-40 is not
> effective.)

Sheldon/Penmart had a good useful method. Take a large plastic
garbage bag, put the pan in the bag, add a splash or three of ammonia,
tie the bag shut and leave it overnight (preferrably somewhere
outside) The next day, take the pan out of the bag, rinse it off with
the hose, and then a light scrubbing should get rid of anything that's
still on it.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 15 Feb 2008 02:54:23p, maxine in ri told us...

> On Feb 14, 8:47 pm, Greg Esres > wrote:
>> In researching the archives for how to clean oil from aluminum pans, I
>> found the advice mainly consisted of "elbow grease". However, I found
>> that a spray-on product called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in
>> removing oil residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper
>> towel. The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
>> marketed towards removing stickers and such. My own can is over 10
>> years old, so I don't know if the brand is still made any more, but
>> surely some other similar spray uses the same chemical. (WD-40 is not
>> effective.)

> Sheldon/Penmart had a good useful method. Take a large plastic
> garbage bag, put the pan in the bag, add a splash or three of ammonia,
> tie the bag shut and leave it overnight (preferrably somewhere
> outside) The next day, take the pan out of the bag, rinse it off with
> the hose, and then a light scrubbing should get rid of anything that's
> still on it.
>
> maxine in ri

If the pan is aluminum it will be totally ruined. Stainless steel works
okay.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 02(II)/15(XV)/08(MMVIII)
Acting without thinking can be awfully
entertaining.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 15 Feb 2008 02:54:23p, maxine in ri told us...
>
>> On Feb 14, 8:47 pm, Greg Esres > wrote:
>>> In researching the archives for how to clean oil from aluminum pans, I
>>> found the advice mainly consisted of "elbow grease". However, I found
>>> that a spray-on product called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in
>>> removing oil residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper
>>> towel. The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
>>> marketed towards removing stickers and such. My own can is over 10
>>> years old, so I don't know if the brand is still made any more, but
>>> surely some other similar spray uses the same chemical. (WD-40 is not
>>> effective.)

>> Sheldon/Penmart had a good useful method. Take a large plastic
>> garbage bag, put the pan in the bag, add a splash or three of ammonia,
>> tie the bag shut and leave it overnight (preferrably somewhere
>> outside) The next day, take the pan out of the bag, rinse it off with
>> the hose, and then a light scrubbing should get rid of anything that's
>> still on it.
>>
>> maxine in ri
>>

> If the pan is aluminum it will be totally ruined. Stainless steel works
> okay.

Following some of the hints on here today I just cleaned baked on oil
off an enameled bake pan with Goo Begone today. Don't remember who
posted that hint but many thanks for making a job I don't like anyway
lots easier.

George
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 4:54�pm, maxine in ri > wrote:
> On Feb 14, 8:47 pm, Greg Esres > wrote:
>
> > In researching the archives for how to clean oil from aluminum pans, I
> > found the advice mainly consisted of "elbow grease". �However, I found
> > that a spray-on product called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in
> > removing oil residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper
> > towel. �The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
> > marketed towards removing stickers and such. �My own can is over 10
> > years old, so I don't know if the brand is still made any more, but
> > surely some other similar spray uses the same chemical. �(WD-40 is not
> > effective.)

> Sheldon/Penmart had a good useful method. �Take a large plastic
> garbage bag, put the pan in the bag, add a splash or three of ammonia,
> tie the bag shut and leave it overnight (preferrably somewhere
> outside) �The next day, take the pan out of the bag, rinse it off with
> the hose, and then a light scrubbing should get rid of anything that's
> still on it.
>
> maxine in ri

Not for aluminum.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 20:04:39 -0600, Sqwertz
> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:54:23 -0800 (PST), maxine in ri wrote:
>
>> On Feb 14, 8:47 pm, Greg Esres > wrote:
>>> In researching the archives for how to clean oil from aluminum pans, I
>>> found the advice mainly consisted of "elbow grease". However, I found
>>> that a spray-on product called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in
>>> removing oil residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper
>>> towel. The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
>>> marketed towards removing stickers and such. My own can is over 10
>>> years old, so I don't know if the brand is still made any more, but
>>> surely some other similar spray uses the same chemical. (WD-40 is not
>>> effective.)

>> Sheldon/Penmart had a good useful method. Take a large plastic
>> garbage bag, put the pan in the bag, add a splash or three of ammonia,
>> tie the bag shut and leave it overnight (preferrably somewhere
>> outside) The next day, take the pan out of the bag, rinse it off with
>> the hose, and then a light scrubbing should get rid of anything that's
>> still on it.

>And the last person who tried that a couple weeks ago reported
>back that it did nothing at all. Which doesn't surprise me.
>
>-sw

Howdy,

I was the OP on the recent thread about the baked-on oil,
and indeed, the ammonia method did nothing to solve the
problem.

I have had excellent results with the ammonia when the stuff
on the pan was still slightly soft.

In the situation I had described, the oil had baked into a
hard, varnish-like mass.

I did solve the problem with a product called "Carbon Off"
(which I believe to be the same thing as "Sokoff.")

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:20:19 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Fri 15 Feb 2008 02:54:23p, maxine in ri told us...
>
>> On Feb 14, 8:47 pm, Greg Esres > wrote:
>>> In researching the archives for how to clean oil from aluminum pans, I
>>> found the advice mainly consisted of "elbow grease". However, I found
>>> that a spray-on product called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in
>>> removing oil residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper
>>> towel. The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
>>> marketed towards removing stickers and such. My own can is over 10
>>> years old, so I don't know if the brand is still made any more, but
>>> surely some other similar spray uses the same chemical. (WD-40 is not
>>> effective.)

>> Sheldon/Penmart had a good useful method. Take a large plastic
>> garbage bag, put the pan in the bag, add a splash or three of ammonia,
>> tie the bag shut and leave it overnight (preferrably somewhere
>> outside) The next day, take the pan out of the bag, rinse it off with
>> the hose, and then a light scrubbing should get rid of anything that's
>> still on it.
>>
>> maxine in ri
>>

>If the pan is aluminum it will be totally ruined. Stainless steel works
>okay.

Hi Wayne,

Sheldon also claims that ammonia will harm aluminum, but
based on everything I can find on the net (together with my
own experience) that is false.

In fact, aluminum tubing is used to convey ammonia
(including heated, and under pressure) in all sorts of
industrial applications.

I posted that information in the earlier thread about this
cleanup issue.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 14:32:46 -0800 (PST), Sheldon
> wrote:
>> Sheldon/Penmart had a good useful method. ?Take a large plastic
>> garbage bag, put the pan in the bag, add a splash or three of ammonia,
>> tie the bag shut and leave it overnight (preferrably somewhere
>> outside) ?The next day, take the pan out of the bag, rinse it off with
>> the hose, and then a light scrubbing should get rid of anything that's
>> still on it.
>>
>> maxine in ri

>Not for aluminum.

Hi Sheldon,

You keep saying that there is some problem using the ammonia
technique on aluminum.

The first time I read that, I was curious, and so checked it
out with some care.

In fact, aluminum is used in contact with ammonia in all
sorts of industrial applications (most relating to
refrigeration) precisely because it is not harmed as would
be certain other metals.

It is obvious (both from my reading, and from my own
reasonably extensive experience) that there is no problem
whatever using the ammonia technique on aluminum cookware.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Greg Esres" > wrote in message
> In researching the archives for how to clean oil from aluminum pans, I
> found the advice mainly consisted of "elbow grease". However, I found
> that a spray-on product called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in
> removing oil residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper
> towel. The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
> marketed towards removing stickers and such. My own can is over 10
> years old, so I don't know if the brand is still made any more, but
> surely some other similar spray uses the same chemical. (WD-40 is not
> effective.)

Xylol is a paint thinner/solvent. I believe I've seen it at Menard's,
recently.

Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hairy wrote on Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:15:20 -0600:

H> "Greg Esres" > wrote in message

??>> In researching the archives for how to clean oil from
??>> aluminum pans, I found the advice mainly consisted of
??>> "elbow grease". However, I found that a spray-on product
??>> called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in removing oil
??>> residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper towel.
??>> The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
??>> marketed towards removing stickers and such. My own can
??>> is over 10 years old, so I don't know if the brand is
??>> still made any more, but surely some other similar spray
??>> uses the same chemical. (WD-40 is not effective.)

H> Xylol is a paint thinner/solvent. I believe I've seen it at
H> Menard's, recently.

I was a little concerned about xylol (old name, more correctly
xylene) since it is closely related chemically to benzene.
Fortunately, tho' I wouldn't use it without proper ventilation,
it does not appear to be a carcinogen.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 5:20 pm, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> On Fri 15 Feb 2008 02:54:23p, maxine in ri told us...
>

> > On Feb 14, 8:47 pm, Greg Esres > wrote:
> >> In researching the archives for how to clean oil from aluminum pans, I
> >> found the advice mainly consisted of "elbow grease". However, I found
> >> that a spray-on product called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in
> >> removing oil residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper
> >> towel. The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
> >> marketed towards removing stickers and such. My own can is over 10
> >> years old, so I don't know if the brand is still made any more, but
> >> surely some other similar spray uses the same chemical. (WD-40 is not
> >> effective.)

> > Sheldon/Penmart had a good useful method. Take a large plastic
> > garbage bag, put the pan in the bag, add a splash or three of ammonia,
> > tie the bag shut and leave it overnight (preferrably somewhere
> > outside) The next day, take the pan out of the bag, rinse it off with
> > the hose, and then a light scrubbing should get rid of anything that's
> > still on it.

> > maxine in ri

> If the pan is aluminum it will be totally ruined. Stainless steel works
> okay.
>
> Wayne Boatwright

Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize aluminum wouldn't work.

maxine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 05:10:28 -0800 (PST), maxine in ri
> wrote:

>> If the pan is aluminum it will be totally ruined. Stainless steel works
>> okay.
>>
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>

>Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize aluminum wouldn't work.
>
>maxine

Howdy,

With respect, the information you are seeing about it being
ill advised to use ammonia on aluminum is not correct.

As you will see elsewhere in this thread, aluminum is used
in all sorts of industrial applications that work with
ammonia precisely because the metal is not harmed.

(Also, I have used the ammonia cleaning method many times on
my own aluminum pans and it works perfectly.)

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 16 Feb 2008 07:14:04a, Kenneth told us...

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 05:10:28 -0800 (PST), maxine in ri
> > wrote:
>

>>> If the pan is aluminum it will be totally ruined. Stainless steel

works
>>> okay.
>>>
>>> Wayne Boatwright
>>>

>>Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize aluminum wouldn't work.
>>
>>maxine

> Howdy,
>
> With respect, the information you are seeing about it being
> ill advised to use ammonia on aluminum is not correct.
>
> As you will see elsewhere in this thread, aluminum is used
> in all sorts of industrial applications that work with
> ammonia precisely because the metal is not harmed.
>
> (Also, I have used the ammonia cleaning method many times on
> my own aluminum pans and it works perfectly.)
>
> All the best,

When I have attempted cleaning aluminum with ammonia, the metal became
pitted and the finish dulled. Just my experience.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 20:57:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 16 Feb 2008 07:14:04a, Kenneth told us...

>works

>>>Thanks for the correction. I didn't realize aluminum wouldn't work.
>>>
>>>maxine

>> Howdy,
>>
>> With respect, the information you are seeing about it being
>> ill advised to use ammonia on aluminum is not correct.
>>
>> As you will see elsewhere in this thread, aluminum is used
>> in all sorts of industrial applications that work with
>> ammonia precisely because the metal is not harmed.
>>
>> (Also, I have used the ammonia cleaning method many times on
>> my own aluminum pans and it works perfectly.)
>>
>> All the best,

>When I have attempted cleaning aluminum with ammonia, the metal became
>pitted and the finish dulled. Just my experience.

Hi Wayne,

Is there any possibility that the thing you thought to be
aluminum was, in fact, made of something else?

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 16 Feb 2008 02:07:54p, Kenneth told us...

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 20:57:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sat 16 Feb 2008 07:14:04a, Kenneth told us...
>>
>>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 05:10:28 -0800 (PST), maxine in ri

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> With respect, the information you are seeing about it being
>>> ill advised to use ammonia on aluminum is not correct.
>>>
>>> As you will see elsewhere in this thread, aluminum is used
>>> in all sorts of industrial applications that work with
>>> ammonia precisely because the metal is not harmed.
>>>
>>> (Also, I have used the ammonia cleaning method many times on
>>> my own aluminum pans and it works perfectly.)
>>>
>>> All the best,

>>When I have attempted cleaning aluminum with ammonia, the metal became
>>pitted and the finish dulled. Just my experience.

> Hi Wayne,
>
> Is there any possibility that the thing you thought to be
> aluminum was, in fact, made of something else?
>
> All the best,

Hi Kenneth,

No it was a cast aluminum saucepan made by Club Aluminum.

Thanks for asking...

Wayne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:30:52 -0600, George Shirley
> wrote:

>Following some of the hints on here today I just cleaned baked on oil
>off an enameled bake pan with Goo Begone today. Don't remember who
>posted that hint but many thanks for making a job I don't like anyway
>lots easier.

KEWL! I have glass baking dishes that have baked on grease/oil on
them... hope it works on them too. Wish I knew where my Goo Gone was.
We remodeled the laundry room recently and all my "stuff" went into
boxes which haven't been unpacked yet.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:07:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 16 Feb 2008 02:07:54p, Kenneth told us...
>
>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 20:57:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Sat 16 Feb 2008 07:14:04a, Kenneth told us...

>>>When I have attempted cleaning aluminum with ammonia, the metal became
>>>pitted and the finish dulled. Just my experience.

>> Hi Wayne,
>>
>> Is there any possibility that the thing you thought to be
>> aluminum was, in fact, made of something else?
>>
>> All the best,

>Hi Kenneth,
>
>No it was a cast aluminum saucepan made by Club Aluminum.
>
>Thanks for asking...
>
>Wayne

Hi again Wayne,

I have one other question about your experience:

Would I be correct to guess that you put the ammonia into
the aluminum pan itself (rather than putting it in, for
example, a glass container) so that the fumes could act on
the aluminum?

If so, I may have more to offer about this...

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:49:36 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:

>In fact, aluminum is used in contact with ammonia in all
>sorts of industrial applications (most relating to
>refrigeration) precisely because it is not harmed as would
>be certain other metals.

Hi Kenneth,

A relevant observation is that there is a huge difference between
ammonia (NH3, pure gas or pure liquid depending on the conditions, and
sometimes referred to as "anhydrous ammonia") and what we all commonly
refer to as "ammonia" which is a solution of ammonia gas in water.

<chemistry mode on>
Ammonia-water solution is basic because ammonia pulls H+ ion off some
of the water molecules, leaving hydroxide ions (OH-). Not many
hydroxide ions because ammonia is a weak base, but aluminum definitely
does not like hydroxide ion. Last's weeks experiment in my lab
involved the students dissolving granular aluminum in a concentrated
hydroxide solution.

If there's no water present, which would be the case in refrigeration
machinery, there's no H+ ion to be pulled off. No problem using pure
ammonia gas or liquid in aluminum tubing or some such.
<chemistry mode off>

If you find that ammonia works for cleaning your aluminum ware...more
power to you. Might have something to do with the concentration or
the length of time or the phase of the moon or some such. It's not
something I'd try, though.

Best -- Terry
....I never wanted to be a chemist. I....I....I wanted to be...a
LUMBERJACK....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 17:42:29 -0600, Terry
> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 21:49:36 -0500, Kenneth
> wrote:
>
>>In fact, aluminum is used in contact with ammonia in all
>>sorts of industrial applications (most relating to
>>refrigeration) precisely because it is not harmed as would
>>be certain other metals.

>Hi Kenneth,
>
>A relevant observation is that there is a huge difference between
>ammonia (NH3, pure gas or pure liquid depending on the conditions, and
>sometimes referred to as "anhydrous ammonia") and what we all commonly
>refer to as "ammonia" which is a solution of ammonia gas in water.
>
><chemistry mode on>
>Ammonia-water solution is basic because ammonia pulls H+ ion off some
>of the water molecules, leaving hydroxide ions (OH-). Not many
>hydroxide ions because ammonia is a weak base, but aluminum definitely
>does not like hydroxide ion. Last's weeks experiment in my lab
>involved the students dissolving granular aluminum in a concentrated
>hydroxide solution.
>
>If there's no water present, which would be the case in refrigeration
>machinery, there's no H+ ion to be pulled off. No problem using pure
>ammonia gas or liquid in aluminum tubing or some such.
><chemistry mode off>
>
>If you find that ammonia works for cleaning your aluminum ware...more
>power to you. Might have something to do with the concentration or
>the length of time or the phase of the moon or some such. It's not
>something I'd try, though.
>
>Best -- Terry
>...I never wanted to be a chemist. I....I....I wanted to be...a
>LUMBERJACK....

Hi Terry,

I thank you for your great comment...

In fact, that was the direction I was going (though
articulated with far less sophistication with regard to the
chemistry) when I guessed that Wayne put the "ammonia" (in
fact a solution of ammonia in water) on the aluminum, rather
than putting it in another container so that its vapor could
act on the pan.

Based on my experience, I believe that if one puts a dish on
the pan, puts some household ammonia solution in the dish,
and seals the whole mess in a plastic bag, the deed will be
done with no damage whatever to the pan.

I don't believe that has anything to do with the phases of
the moon (though I am open to that possibility as I know
less about astronomy than I know about chemistry).

Based on what I have read, I believe that problems can occur
because the of the water in the household ammonia products
rather than the ammonia itself.

With the "put the solution in a dish" method that I have
used, what comes out of the solution is (mostly) gaseous
ammonia, and that does no harm to the aluminum.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 17 Feb 2008 02:19:20p, Kenneth told us...

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:07:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sat 16 Feb 2008 02:07:54p, Kenneth told us...
>>
>>> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 20:57:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>>> Hi Wayne,
>>>
>>> Is there any possibility that the thing you thought to be
>>> aluminum was, in fact, made of something else?
>>>
>>> All the best,

>>Hi Kenneth,
>>
>>No it was a cast aluminum saucepan made by Club Aluminum.
>>
>>Thanks for asking...
>>
>>Wayne

> Hi again Wayne,
>
> I have one other question about your experience:
>
> Would I be correct to guess that you put the ammonia into
> the aluminum pan itself (rather than putting it in, for
> example, a glass container) so that the fumes could act on
> the aluminum?

Yes, I poured the ammonia directly into the pan. Perhaps that was the
problem.

> If so, I may have more to offer about this...
>
> All the best,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 06:52:33 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sun 17 Feb 2008 02:19:20p, Kenneth told us...
>
>> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 16:07:32 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>On Sat 16 Feb 2008 02:07:54p, Kenneth told us...

>>>Hi Kenneth,
>>>
>>>No it was a cast aluminum saucepan made by Club Aluminum.
>>>
>>>Thanks for asking...
>>>
>>>Wayne

>> Hi again Wayne,
>>
>> I have one other question about your experience:
>>
>> Would I be correct to guess that you put the ammonia into
>> the aluminum pan itself (rather than putting it in, for
>> example, a glass container) so that the fumes could act on
>> the aluminum?

>Yes, I poured the ammonia directly into the pan. Perhaps that was the
>problem.
>
>> If so, I may have more to offer about this...
>>
>> All the best,

Hi again Wayne,

(I will start with an apology to Terry, and anyone else who
actually understands the chemistry of all this for my
butchery of the science...)

Here is what I can make of this thus far:

We tend to think of aluminum as not being "reactive" with
other things used in cooking.

In fact, it is highly reactive, but...

When exposed to the air, it quickly gets an extremely thin
coating of aluminum oxide which protects it.

Apparently, there are conditions in which the use of
household ammonia (which is ammonia itself dissolved in
water) can strip away the protective aluminum oxide leaving
the surface vulnerable to attack from the water.

I believe that it what happened in your experience.

When I have done it, I put a class dish in the pan. Put some
household ammonia in the dish, and seal it all in a bag.

That works just fine, and I believe it is because the
ammonia comes out of solution, attacks the grease on the pan
while leaving its surface safe from attack by the water.

Whew...

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Hairy wrote on Fri, 15 Feb 2008 22:15:20 -0600:
>

> H> "Greg Esres" > wrote in message

> ??>> In researching the archives for how to clean oil from
> ??>> aluminum pans, I found the advice mainly consisted of
> ??>> "elbow grease". However, I found that a spray-on product
> ??>> called "Lift Off" to be highly effective in removing oil
> ??>> residue; after spraying, it wiped off with a paper towel.
> ??>> The active ingredient appears to be "Xylol", and is mainly
> ??>> marketed towards removing stickers and such. My own can
> ??>> is over 10 years old, so I don't know if the brand is
> ??>> still made any more, but surely some other similar spray
> ??>> uses the same chemical. (WD-40 is not effective.)
>
> H> Xylol is a paint thinner/solvent. I believe I've seen it at
> H> Menard's, recently.
>
> I was a little concerned about xylol (old name, more correctly xylene)
> since it is closely related chemically to benzene. Fortunately, tho' I
> wouldn't use it without proper ventilation, it does not appear to be a
> carcinogen.
>
> James Silverton

We stopped using it at least 15 years ago because, if I remember correctly,
Osha determined that some people develop a sensitivity to it over time.
I used it daily, without gloves, for more than 15 years with no ill effects.
We now use water based coating products instead of solvent based paints.

Dave

Boiling Pans & Bratt Pans Stu Cooking Equipment 0 10-04-2007 10:06 PM
Removing the seeds Jim Winemaking 20 10-09-2004 02:35 AM
French Steel pans vs. the Expensive Pans Rodney Myrvaagnes General Cooking 10 20-05-2004 12:55 PM
French Steel pans vs. the Expensive Pans BJ42 General Cooking 1 20-05-2004 05:03 AM
Removing alcohol Ruiseart agus Ceit Wine 7 18-05-2004 11:11 PM