Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default why are people so stupid?

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> RichD wrote:
>
>> You know what peeves me?
>>
>> You attend a reception, maybe a cocktail party.
>> There's a table with hors doeuvres.. and a crowd
>> of dimwits hovering around it, gossiping and
>> munching their snacks, blocking access! uh,
>> doofuses, after you load up, MOVE!!! You are
>> IN THE WAY!
>>
>> Why are people so oblivious? Then, when you elbow
>> past them, they give you a dirty look, like YOU are
>> the problem!
>>
>> The proper procedure is:
>> 1. Approach the buffet
>> 2. Fill your plate
>> 3. MOVE AWAY from the buffet
>>
>> I realize this might seem like rocket science
>> to some folks...

> It's because a lot of people are stupid.... really bloody stupid. Those
> are the same people who come out of a store at a mall and walk directly
> in front of you without looking, and then stop. They are the people who
> park their shopping carts in the middle of an aisle and then stant on
> one side of it so that no one can get by. They are the same people who
> get to the bottom of an escalator and stop. They are inconsiderate
> buffoons, and there are too damned many of them.

They are the stupid people who stand at the cream and sugar table at the
coffee shop and chat. Fix your damn coffee and move the hell out of the
way. I have better things to do than to listen to you yammer on about your
MIL or your boss.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RichD" > wrote in message
> You know what peeves me?
>
> You attend a reception, maybe a cocktail party.
> There's a table with hors doeuvres.. and a crowd
> of dimwits hovering around it, gossiping and
> munching their snacks, blocking access! uh,
> doofuses, after you load up, MOVE!!! You are
> IN THE WAY!
>
> Why are people so oblivious? Then, when you elbow
> past them, they give you a dirty look, like YOU are
> the problem!
>
> The proper procedure is:
> 1. Approach the buffet
> 2. Fill your plate
> 3. MOVE AWAY from the buffet
>
> I realize this might seem like rocket science
> to some folks...
> Rich

According to two of the most perfect surveys ever done, 54% of population is
permanently stupid. Get used to it. It's here to stay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 4:59*pm, RichD > wrote:
> You know what peeves me?
>
> You attend a reception, maybe a cocktail party.
> There's a table with hors doeuvres.. and a crowd
> of dimwits hovering around it, gossiping and
> munching their snacks, blocking access! *uh,
> doofuses, after you load up, MOVE!!! *You are
> IN THE WAY!
>
> Why are people so oblivious? *Then, when you elbow
> past them, they give you a dirty look, like YOU are
> the problem!
>
> The proper procedure is:
> 1. *Approach the buffet
> 2. *Fill your plate
> 3. *MOVE AWAY from the buffet
>
> I realize this might seem like rocket science
> to some folks...

Happens at the samples tables at Costco, too.

It's not a feeding trough; it's a social hot spot. You wait in line to
experience the social hot spot.

Karen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

RichD wrote:

> You know what peeves me?
>
> You attend a reception, maybe a cocktail party.
> There's a table with hors doeuvres.. and a crowd
> of dimwits hovering around it, gossiping and
> munching their snacks, blocking access! uh,
> doofuses, after you load up, MOVE!!! You are
> IN THE WAY!
>
> Why are people so oblivious? Then, when you elbow
> past them, they give you a dirty look, like YOU are
> the problem!
>
> The proper procedure is:
> 1. Approach the buffet
> 2. Fill your plate
> 3. MOVE AWAY from the buffet
>
> I realize this might seem like rocket science
> to some folks...

It's because a lot of people are stupid.... really bloody stupid. Those
are the same people who come out of a store at a mall and walk directly
in front of you without looking, and then stop. They are the people who
park their shopping carts in the middle of an aisle and then stant on
one side of it so that no one can get by. They are the same people who
get to the bottom of an escalator and stop. They are inconsiderate
buffoons, and there are too damned many of them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> RichD wrote:
>
>> You know what peeves me?
>>
>> You attend a reception, maybe a cocktail party.
>> There's a table with hors doeuvres.. and a crowd
>> of dimwits hovering around it, gossiping and
>> munching their snacks, blocking access! uh,
>> doofuses, after you load up, MOVE!!! You are
>> IN THE WAY!
>>
>> Why are people so oblivious? Then, when you elbow
>> past them, they give you a dirty look, like YOU are
>> the problem!
>>
>> The proper procedure is:
>> 1. Approach the buffet
>> 2. Fill your plate
>> 3. MOVE AWAY from the buffet
>>
>> I realize this might seem like rocket science
>> to some folks...

> It's because a lot of people are stupid.... really bloody stupid. Those
> are the same people who come out of a store at a mall and walk directly
> in front of you without looking, and then stop. They are the people who
> park their shopping carts in the middle of an aisle and then stant on
> one side of it so that no one can get by. They are the same people who
> get to the bottom of an escalator and stop. They are inconsiderate
> buffoons, and there are too damned many of them.

How about this: I'm standing on one side of the supermarket aisle looking at
the opposite side for a certain thing. Some twit parks their cart or their
fat hostess twinkie ass right in front of me as if they were transparent, as
if I was just waiting for them to come along so I could gaze at the back of
their neck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote in

> It's because a lot of people are stupid.... really bloody
> stupid. Those are the same people who come out of a store at a
> mall and walk directly in front of you without looking, and
> then stop. They are the people who park their shopping carts
> in the middle of an aisle and then stant on one side of it so
> that no one can get by. They are the same people who get to
> the bottom of an escalator and stop. They are inconsiderate
> buffoons, and there are too damned many of them.

I agree!
One of my pet peeves are those who park their carts in the middle
of the aisles, oblivious to others around them! Or take out a
shopping cart to the parking lot, unload the cart and just leave it
stand, not taking it to the cart 'stall' or at least (if no stall)
move it away from other vehicles. How about the people who leave
children unattended in the carts or to run loose in the store?
Stupid!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 6:59*pm, RichD > wrote:
> You know what peeves me?
>
> You attend a reception, maybe a cocktail party.
> There's a table with hors doeuvres.. and a crowd
> of dimwits hovering around it, gossiping and
> munching their snacks, blocking access! *uh,
> doofuses, after you load up, MOVE!!! *You are
> IN THE WAY!

Yes, Lord forbid your fat ass doesn't get to bulldoze through the
spread of free food!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RichD" > wrote in message
> You know what peeves me?
>
> You attend a reception, maybe a cocktail party.
> There's a table with hors doeuvres.. and a crowd
> of dimwits hovering around it, gossiping and
> munching their snacks, blocking access! uh,
> doofuses, after you load up, MOVE!!! You are
> IN THE WAY!
>
> Why are people so oblivious? Then, when you elbow
> past them, they give you a dirty look, like YOU are
> the problem!
>
> The proper procedure is:
> 1. Approach the buffet
> 2. Fill your plate
> 3. MOVE AWAY from the buffet
>
> I realize this might seem like rocket science
> to some folks...

Heh. This happens all the time at the market. Two people will completely
block an aisle and won't make eye contact with you or even acknowledge you
are there. The last time this happened the goobers finally took notice away
from their self-centered little world and actually said "are we in your
way?" I was so ****ed I shouted, "you're in EVERYBODY'S WAY!! WHAT DO YOU
THINK?" They looked at me like "oh my, such rude people in this store."

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 12 Feb 2008 09:13:31p, Paul M. Cook told us...

> "RichD" > wrote in message
>> You know what peeves me?
>>
>> You attend a reception, maybe a cocktail party.
>> There's a table with hors doeuvres.. and a crowd
>> of dimwits hovering around it, gossiping and
>> munching their snacks, blocking access! uh, doofuses, after you load
>> up, MOVE!!! You are IN THE WAY!
>>
>> Why are people so oblivious? Then, when you elbow
>> past them, they give you a dirty look, like YOU are
>> the problem!
>>
>> The proper procedure is:
>> 1. Approach the buffet
>> 2. Fill your plate
>> 3. MOVE AWAY from the buffet
>>
>> I realize this might seem like rocket science to some folks...

> Heh. This happens all the time at the market. Two people will
> completely block an aisle and won't make eye contact with you or even
> acknowledge you are there. The last time this happened the goobers
> finally took notice away from their self-centered little world and
> actually said "are we in your way?" I was so ****ed I shouted, "you're
> in EVERYBODY'S WAY!! WHAT DO YOU THINK?" They looked at me like "oh
> my, such rude people in this store."
>
> Paul

Exactly. This behavior happens everywhere. People are not only oblivious
(perhaps deliberately so), but they also don't really give a damn what
inconvenience they cause.

I recently encountered a cart blockage in a supermarket aisle. I asked one
woman politely, "may I pass by?" She replied, "when I get through with
what I'm doing." It was apparent that she was not "doing" anything but
taking up space. The Bitch!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 02(II)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Lincoln's Birthday
The universe is really here to amuse
and serve us. It's true.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Feb 2008 02:56:47 GMT, sandi > wrote:

>One of my pet peeves are those who park their carts in the middle
>of the aisles, oblivious to others around them!

I'm not the shy type. I move their cart out of the way for them and
I've *never* been reprimanded. They are usually very embarrassed.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:59:30 -0800 (PST), RichD
> wrote:

>You know what peeves me?
>
>You attend a reception, maybe a cocktail party.
>There's a table with hors doeuvres.. and a crowd
>of dimwits hovering around it, gossiping and
>munching their snacks, blocking access! uh,
>doofuses, after you load up, MOVE!!! You are
>IN THE WAY!
>
>Why are people so oblivious? Then, when you elbow
>past them, they give you a dirty look, like YOU are
>the problem!
>
>The proper procedure is:
>1. Approach the buffet
>2. Fill your plate
>3. MOVE AWAY from the buffet
>
>I realize this might seem like rocket science
>to some folks...

I know your problem only too well. I find that it is best not to
expect too much from people. That way when their stupidity shows, and
it will, you're not too disappointed.

Using that approach, I find I feel much better.

Anthony
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 06:38:48 GMT, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I recently encountered a cart blockage in a supermarket aisle. I asked
>> one
>> woman politely, "may I pass by?" She replied, "when I get through with
>> what I'm doing." It was apparent that she was not "doing" anything but
>> taking up space. The Bitch!

> You should have socked the bitch!
>
> If the cart could have put in a position that it would have
> allowed a thoroughfare, I just push the cart out of the way.
> **** her if she has a conniption because her purse is in baby
> seat - it's not going far, and I ain't stealing your cart.
>
> -sw
>
> --
> Wheat (1937), Rice (1950), Mix (1955), Corn (1958) and
> Bran (1987) is the timeline for what food product?

Chex?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On 13 Feb 2008 02:56:47 GMT, sandi > wrote:
>
>> One of my pet peeves are those who park their carts in the middle
>> of the aisles, oblivious to others around them!

> I'm not the shy type. I move their cart out of the way for them and
> I've *never* been reprimanded. They are usually very embarrassed.

heh, so do I

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia said...

> sf wrote:
>> On 13 Feb 2008 02:56:47 GMT, sandi > wrote:
>>
>>> One of my pet peeves are those who park their carts in the middle
>>> of the aisles, oblivious to others around them!

>> I'm not the shy type. I move their cart out of the way for them and
>> I've *never* been reprimanded. They are usually very embarrassed.

> heh, so do I

Trader Joe's in my town has such narrow aisles, two of them are seriously
single -file if you have a cart rather than a hand basket. The rest of the
aisles are just over two carts wide. I think they want to make it a social
experience. "Excuse me," "sorry," "pardon me." You're really forced to
interact with the other customers for co-operation as you shop.

The ACME is probably the same as other supermarkets. They just have so many
of each item some folks get supermarket hypnosis trying to find product and
just stand and stare, forgetting they're not the only ones in the aisle.

I'll say "excuse me!"

It IS amazing that after shopping for say 20 years or more folks haven't
learned to side-line their carts against the shelves while comparison
shopping and reading nutrition labels and trying to find their favorite out
of 20 brands of canned tuna fish.

I think the fastest shopping action at my supermarket is the milk cases.
whole, 2%, 1% or fat free, lactaid in quarts, half gallons or gallons.
Never a backlog there, usually.

The wholesale clubs have nice wide aisles so it's less of a problem but I
don't like the shelves packed two or three stories high with skids of
product.

After 3 months in the frozen case at the ACME, there's still that one box
of White Castle hamburgers. Hang in there! Don't let those Hot Pockets
muscle you out!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On 13 Feb 2008 02:56:47 GMT, sandi > wrote:
>
>>One of my pet peeves are those who park their carts in the middle
>>of the aisles, oblivious to others around them!

> I'm not the shy type. I move their cart out of the way for them and
> I've *never* been reprimanded. They are usually very embarrassed.

Sometimes there are more than one in the aisle at the books in Costco, there
is no way to move them; same with popular aisles in the super markets. It
would be nice if they spread out the bread and milk into two different
aisles.

I am tempted to add my cart to the pile-up. But being hit a few times by
oblivious people and their carting techniques, I just move to another aisle
and come back later. Who can contend with this crap!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> On Tue 12 Feb 2008 09:13:31p, Paul M. Cook told us...
>

>> "RichD" > wrote in message
>>> You know what peeves me?
>>>
>>> You attend a reception, maybe a cocktail party.
>>> There's a table with hors doeuvres.. and a crowd
>>> of dimwits hovering around it, gossiping and
>>> munching their snacks, blocking access! uh, doofuses, after you load
>>> up, MOVE!!! You are IN THE WAY!
>>>
>>> Why are people so oblivious? Then, when you elbow
>>> past them, they give you a dirty look, like YOU are
>>> the problem!
>>>
>>> The proper procedure is:
>>> 1. Approach the buffet
>>> 2. Fill your plate
>>> 3. MOVE AWAY from the buffet
>>>
>>> I realize this might seem like rocket science to some folks...

>> Heh. This happens all the time at the market. Two people will
>> completely block an aisle and won't make eye contact with you or even
>> acknowledge you are there. The last time this happened the goobers
>> finally took notice away from their self-centered little world and
>> actually said "are we in your way?" I was so ****ed I shouted, "you're
>> in EVERYBODY'S WAY!! WHAT DO YOU THINK?" They looked at me like "oh
>> my, such rude people in this store."
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Exactly. This behavior happens everywhere. People are not only oblivious
> (perhaps deliberately so), but they also don't really give a damn what
> inconvenience they cause.
>
> I recently encountered a cart blockage in a supermarket aisle. I asked
> one
> woman politely, "may I pass by?" She replied, "when I get through with
> what I'm doing." It was apparent that she was not "doing" anything but
> taking up space. The Bitch!
>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright

There are an assortment of Bitches!

That's better than what I experienced in a supermarket that I won't forget
because it was physically painful. The woman didn't do anything to say 'may
I pass by?' 'excuse me,' but she hit me on my heels, and called me a "Bitch"
as she passed. Not under her breath, but in-my-face. I did everything I
could do to keep from crying.

And I was moving, not standing blocking anything. Not moving fast enough
for her, not even looking at anything left or right, actually going around a
corner on the aisle. When she was ahead of me she was still looking back at
me with daggers and muttering. I figured she must have been totally off her
rocker. A young woman dressed in business attire -- The Bitch! ;-))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brother wrote on 13 Feb 2008 14:10:36 GMT:

??>> One of my pet peeves are those who park their carts in the
??>> middle of the aisles, oblivious to others around them! Or
??>> take out a shopping cart to
B> Or park their cart directly across from the only other cart
parked in the
B> aisle; effectively blocking any through traffic.

Or take their carts to their cars and just leave them to roll
into other cars.

The other day, in a particular market that has a parking lot on
a slope, I saw a woman load her SUV. The empty cart was caught
by a gust of wind and started to roll downhill. She strolled to
catch it but Newton's laws were in effect and the cart
accelerated away from her, she walked fast, no luck, then jogged
and was at a full run when she caught it! Still, she was
behaving responsibly!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 13 Feb 2008 07:23:04a, Dee.Dee told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>> On Tue 12 Feb 2008 09:13:31p, Paul M. Cook told us...
>>

>>> "RichD" > wrote in message
>>> .
>>> ..

>>> Heh. This happens all the time at the market. Two people will
>>> completely block an aisle and won't make eye contact with you or even
>>> acknowledge you are there. The last time this happened the goobers
>>> finally took notice away from their self-centered little world and
>>> actually said "are we in your way?" I was so ****ed I shouted,
>>> "you're in EVERYBODY'S WAY!! WHAT DO YOU THINK?" They looked at me
>>> like "oh my, such rude people in this store."
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>> Exactly. This behavior happens everywhere. People are not only
>> oblivious (perhaps deliberately so), but they also don't really give a
>> damn what inconvenience they cause.
>>
>> I recently encountered a cart blockage in a supermarket aisle. I asked
>> one woman politely, "may I pass by?" She replied, "when I get through
>> with what I'm doing." It was apparent that she was not "doing"
>> anything but taking up space. The Bitch!
>>

>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>

> There are an assortment of Bitches!
>
> That's better than what I experienced in a supermarket that I won't
> forget because it was physically painful. The woman didn't do anything
> to say 'may I pass by?' 'excuse me,' but she hit me on my heels, and
> called me a "Bitch" as she passed. Not under her breath, but
> in-my-face. I did everything I could do to keep from crying.
>
> And I was moving, not standing blocking anything. Not moving fast
> enough for her, not even looking at anything left or right, actually
> going around a corner on the aisle. When she was ahead of me she was
> still looking back at me with daggers and muttering. I figured she must
> have been totally off her rocker. A young woman dressed in business
> attire -- The Bitch! ;-))
>
> Dee Dee

That's horrible, Dee. I would have reported her to the store manager.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 02(II)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Lincoln's Birthday
The universe is really here to amuse
and serve us. It's true.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

> Heh. This happens all the time at the market. Two people will completely
> block an aisle and won't make eye contact with you or even acknowledge you
> are there. The last time this happened the goobers finally took notice away
> from their self-centered little world and actually said "are we in your

I implemented a new strategy. I saw "Excuse me" and when they ignore me, like
most do I say "Excuse me" again, but much louder, and when they ignore me the
second time I ram their cart out of the way.

> way?" I was so ****ed I shouted, "you're in EVERYBODY'S WAY!! WHAT DO YOU
> THINK?" They looked at me like "oh my, such rude people in this store."

Undoubtedly. That is like one of several people I had had piling their stuff on
the conveyoer at the check out while it is running and I am still unloading my
cart and theirs is running past and getting mixed up with mine. One time it was
a very agressive guy, and I got ****ed off and said" Hey, do you think you could
wait until I am finished here" and he started mouthing off, as if I was the one
who was wrong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
>

>> Heh. This happens all the time at the market. Two people
>> will completely
>> block an aisle and won't make eye contact with you or even
>> acknowledge you
>> are there. The last time this happened the goobers finally
>> took notice away
>> from their self-centered little world and actually said "are
>> we in your

> I implemented a new strategy. I saw "Excuse me" and when they
> ignore me, like
> most do I say "Excuse me" again, but much louder, and when
> they ignore me the
> second time I ram their cart out of the way.

I've never had to take violent direct action. The second loud
"Excuse me" always seems to work especially if other unconcerned
people are within hearing tho' *pushing* an unattended cart
around a corner can give some satisfaction.

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 13, 8:14*am, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
> <sf> wrote in messagenews:j455r3t4d0f1tnqiq06qd9eaeu1d2abvkj@4ax .com...
> > On 13 Feb 2008 02:56:47 GMT, sandi > wrote:

> >>One of my pet peeves are those who park their carts in the middle
> >>of the aisles, oblivious to others around them!

> > I'm not the shy type. *I move their cart out of the way for them and
> > I've *never* been reprimanded. *They are usually very embarrassed.

> Sometimes there are more than one in the aisle at the books in Costco, there
> is no way to move them; same with popular aisles in the super markets. *It
> would be nice if they spread out the bread and milk into two different
> aisles.
>
> * I am tempted to add my cart to the pile-up. *But being hit a few times by
> oblivious people and their carting techniques, I just move to another aisle
> and come back later. *Who can contend with this crap!
> Dee Dee

Ture story. I was once shopping at my usual market, but it was a
Friday morning not the usual Saturday. There was a woman there with 2
young children. The daughter was pushing her doll in a pram and her
son was on a little two wheel bicycle. I kid you not.

Anita
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton > wrote in message
[snip]
> I've never had to take violent direct action. The
> second loud "Excuse me" always seems to work
> especially if other unconcerned people are within
> hearing tho' *pushing* an unattended cart around
> a corner can give some satisfaction.

This tactic is especially effective when they follow you around
said corner wondering where you might be going with their
hard-sought-after basket of items. I had one particularly shaken
gray fox ask me why I'd moved it into the middle of the main aisle
when I'd finished ignoring him. I turned around and said, "Oh. It
was your cart? The way you ignored my requests to move it, I
thought it was someone else's." I then looked at his ears and
said, "Next time don't feign being deaf." (It's sure better than
poking holes in the meat packages.)

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
>
>> Heh. This happens all the time at the market. Two people will completely
>> block an aisle and won't make eye contact with you or even acknowledge you
>> are there. The last time this happened the goobers finally took notice away
>> from their self-centered little world and actually said "are we in your

> I implemented a new strategy. I saw "Excuse me" and when they ignore me, like
> most do I say "Excuse me" again, but much louder, and when they ignore me the
> second time I ram their cart out of the way.
>
>> way?" I was so ****ed I shouted, "you're in EVERYBODY'S WAY!! WHAT DO YOU
>> THINK?" They looked at me like "oh my, such rude people in this store."

> Undoubtedly. That is like one of several people I had had piling their stuff on
> the conveyoer at the check out while it is running and I am still unloading my
> cart and theirs is running past and getting mixed up with mine. One time it was
> a very agressive guy, and I got ****ed off and said" Hey, do you think you could
> wait until I am finished here" and he started mouthing off, as if I was the one
> who was wrong.

What I do when that happens is without saying anything I mix their stuff
into my order, pay for it, and take it! Let them go back and get
another one. (I've actually done that before.) If it's something I
absolutely can't use and it's too expensive to throw it away, I can
return it.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brother mouse" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 02:56:47 +0000, sandi wrote:
>
>> One of my pet peeves are those who park their carts in the middle of the
>> aisles, oblivious to others around them! Or take out a shopping cart to

> Or park their cart directly across from the only other cart parked in the
> aisle; effectively blocking any through traffic.

This is when I don't move any carts. Get my fingers pinched, etc. I go to
the adjacent aisle. No sense getting the blood pressure up.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

>>> I recently encountered a cart blockage in a supermarket aisle. I asked
>>> one woman politely, "may I pass by?" She replied, "when I get through
>>> with what I'm doing." It was apparent that she was not "doing"
>>> anything but taking up space. The Bitch!
>>>

>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright
>>>

>> There are an assortment of Bitches!
>>
>> That's better than what I experienced in a supermarket that I won't
>> forget because it was physically painful. The woman didn't do anything
>> to say 'may I pass by?' 'excuse me,' but she hit me on my heels, and
>> called me a "Bitch" as she passed. Not under her breath, but
>> in-my-face. I did everything I could do to keep from crying.
>>
>> And I was moving, not standing blocking anything. Not moving fast
>> enough for her, not even looking at anything left or right, actually
>> going around a corner on the aisle. When she was ahead of me she was
>> still looking back at me with daggers and muttering. I figured she must
>> have been totally off her rocker. A young woman dressed in business
>> attire -- The Bitch! ;-))
>>
>> Dee Dee

> That's horrible, Dee. I would have reported her to the store manager.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

I'm really leary of these types of people -- I want to raise holy hell with
them or turn them in, but I figure in the end, it will be EYE who pays the
piper.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Wed 13 Feb 2008 07:23:04a, Dee.Dee told us...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> 3.184...
>>> On Tue 12 Feb 2008 09:13:31p, Paul M. Cook told us...

>>> Exactly. This behavior happens everywhere. People are not only
>>> oblivious (perhaps deliberately so), but they also don't really give a
>>> damn what inconvenience they cause.
>>>
>>> I recently encountered a cart blockage in a supermarket aisle. I asked
>>> one woman politely, "may I pass by?" She replied, "when I get through
>>> with what I'm doing." It was apparent that she was not "doing"
>>> anything but taking up space. The Bitch!
>>>

>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright
>>>

>> There are an assortment of Bitches!
>>
>> That's better than what I experienced in a supermarket that I won't
>> forget because it was physically painful. The woman didn't do anything
>> to say 'may I pass by?' 'excuse me,' but she hit me on my heels, and
>> called me a "Bitch" as she passed. Not under her breath, but
>> in-my-face. I did everything I could do to keep from crying.
>>
>> And I was moving, not standing blocking anything. Not moving fast
>> enough for her, not even looking at anything left or right, actually
>> going around a corner on the aisle. When she was ahead of me she was
>> still looking back at me with daggers and muttering. I figured she must
>> have been totally off her rocker. A young woman dressed in business
>> attire -- The Bitch! ;-))
>>
>> Dee Dee
>>

> That's horrible, Dee. I would have reported her to the store manager.

What would that accomplish? That's the same store manager that doesn't
care if people take their 32-item carts through the Express Lane, because
he's not behind them.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> "Paul M. Cook" wrote:
>>

>>> Heh. This happens all the time at the market. Two people will
>>> completely
>>> block an aisle and won't make eye contact with you or even acknowledge
>>> you
>>> are there. The last time this happened the goobers finally took notice
>>> away
>>> from their self-centered little world and actually said "are we in your

>> I implemented a new strategy. I saw "Excuse me" and when they ignore me,
>> like
>> most do I say "Excuse me" again, but much louder, and when they ignore me
>> the
>> second time I ram their cart out of the way.

> I've never had to take violent direct action. The second loud "Excuse me"
> always seems to work especially if other unconcerned people are within
> hearing tho' *pushing* an unattended cart around a corner can give some
> satisfaction.

From reading all of this thread, all I can think is, I am really glad I
live in North Carolina.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brother mouse wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 02:56:47 +0000, sandi wrote:
>
>> One of my pet peeves are those who park their carts in the middle of the
>> aisles, oblivious to others around them! Or take out a shopping cart to

> Or park their cart directly across from the only other cart parked in the
> aisle; effectively blocking any through traffic.

When they're done, they're probably the ones who stand there and watch the
clerk ring up their whole cart of groceries, and only after that, when
the clerk says, "Two hundred and thirteen and sixty-five cents", do they
pull out their checkbook and *begin* filling out their check.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Blinky: http://blinkynet.net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> On Wed 13 Feb 2008 07:23:04a, Dee.Dee told us...
>>
>>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> 3.184...

>>> There are an assortment of Bitches!
>>>
>>> That's better than what I experienced in a supermarket that I won't
>>> forget because it was physically painful. The woman didn't do anything
>>> to say 'may I pass by?' 'excuse me,' but she hit me on my heels, and
>>> called me a "Bitch" as she passed. Not under her breath, but
>>> in-my-face. I did everything I could do to keep from crying.
>>>
>>> And I was moving, not standing blocking anything. Not moving fast
>>> enough for her, not even looking at anything left or right, actually
>>> going around a corner on the aisle. When she was ahead of me she was
>>> still looking back at me with daggers and muttering. I figured she must
>>> have been totally off her rocker. A young woman dressed in business
>>> attire -- The Bitch! ;-))
>>>
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>> That's horrible, Dee. I would have reported her to the store manager.

> What would that accomplish? That's the same store manager that doesn't
> care if people take their 32-item carts through the Express Lane, because
> he's not behind them.

Thats the kind of thing that you politely address yourself. I was in a
local food store and they have hand baskets, regular carts and family
sized carts. I was heading towards the express checkout with a basket
and so was another guy. A women had a family size cart that was topped
off and she was just ahead of us and she pushed it into the express
checkout. Both of us said at the same time something like "you must have
200 items in there and this is the quickie checkout". She grabbed the
young kid who was with her by the collar and went to the regular
checkout and yelled "WE ARE NEVER SHOPPING IN THIS STORE AGAIN!".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
. ..
I was in a
> local food store and they have hand baskets, regular carts and family
> sized carts. I was heading towards the express checkout with a basket and
> so was another guy. A women had a family size cart that was topped off and
> she was just ahead of us and she pushed it into the express checkout. Both
> of us said at the same time something like "you must have 200 items in
> there and this is the quickie checkout". She grabbed the young kid who was
> with her by the collar and went to the regular checkout and yelled "WE ARE
> NEVER SHOPPING IN THIS STORE AGAIN!".

Appropriately entitled he "Why are people so stupid?"

They just ARE.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 13 Feb 2008 09:54:35a, Blinky the Shark told us...

.

load

asked

>>> There are an assortment of Bitches!
>>>
>>> That's better than what I experienced in a supermarket that I won't
>>> forget because it was physically painful. The woman didn't do anything
>>> to say 'may I pass by?' 'excuse me,' but she hit me on my heels, and
>>> called me a "Bitch" as she passed. Not under her breath, but
>>> in-my-face. I did everything I could do to keep from crying.
>>>
>>> And I was moving, not standing blocking anything. Not moving fast
>>> enough for her, not even looking at anything left or right, actually
>>> going around a corner on the aisle. When she was ahead of me she was
>>> still looking back at me with daggers and muttering. I figured she must
>>> have been totally off her rocker. A young woman dressed in business
>>> attire -- The Bitch! ;-))
>>>
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>> That's horrible, Dee. I would have reported her to the store manager.

> What would that accomplish? That's the same store manager that doesn't
> care if people take their 32-item carts through the Express Lane, because
> he's not behind them.

Yeah, you've got a point there, Blinky.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 02(II)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Lincoln's Birthday
The universe is really here to amuse
and serve us. It's true.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> The message .net>
> from Blinky the Shark > contains these words:
>
>> When they're done, they're probably the ones who stand there and watch the
>> clerk ring up their whole cart of groceries, and only after that, when
>> the clerk says, "Two hundred and thirteen and sixty-five cents", do they
>> pull out their checkbook and *begin* filling out their check.

> You're going too fast. Before that, they called home on the phone and
> said "I'm at the checkout, I have just bought steak and fish and beans
> and jam and soap and (long list) can you think of anything else? oh,
> haha. so do I. No I can't wait. Did she? Have you? Yes you do. LUV YOO.
> heaps, yes lots . I wuv you the mostest, baby. Bye, Bye, yes I do,
> Bye". Then they ran back to pick up an item they forgot from the far
> end of the furthest possible aisle.

Too funny, J.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Baraclough wrote:
> The message .net>
> from Blinky the Shark > contains these words:
>
>> When they're done, they're probably the ones who stand there and watch the
>> clerk ring up their whole cart of groceries, and only after that, when
>> the clerk says, "Two hundred and thirteen and sixty-five cents", do they
>> pull out their checkbook and *begin* filling out their check.

> You're going too fast. Before that, they called home on the phone and
> said "I'm at the checkout, I have just bought steak and fish and beans
> and jam and soap and (long list) can you think of anything else? oh,
> haha. so do I. No I can't wait. Did she? Have you? Yes you do. LUV YOO.
> heaps, yes lots . I wuv you the mostest, baby. Bye, Bye, yes I do,
> Bye". Then they ran back to pick up an item they forgot from the far
> end of the furthest possible aisle.
>

> Janet.

Don't forget how when they got back they had to send a kid out to the
car to fetch the checkbook. And the car was locked, so the kid had to
come back for the keys.

(then they asked to borrow your pen) ;-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 13 Feb 2008 09:53:04a, Dee.Dee told us...

>>> There are an assortment of Bitches!
>>>
>>> That's better than what I experienced in a supermarket that I won't
>>> forget because it was physically painful. The woman didn't do
>>> anything to say 'may I pass by?' 'excuse me,' but she hit me on my
>>> heels, and called me a "Bitch" as she passed. Not under her breath,
>>> but in-my-face. I did everything I could do to keep from crying.
>>>
>>> And I was moving, not standing blocking anything. Not moving fast
>>> enough for her, not even looking at anything left or right, actually
>>> going around a corner on the aisle. When she was ahead of me she was
>>> still looking back at me with daggers and muttering. I figured she
>>> must have been totally off her rocker. A young woman dressed in
>>> business attire -- The Bitch! ;-))
>>>
>>> Dee Dee

>> That's horrible, Dee. I would have reported her to the store manager.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> I'm really leary of these types of people -- I want to raise holy hell
> with them or turn them in, but I figure in the end, it will be EYE who
> pays the piper.
> Dee Dee

You could be right. People can be so vindictive. A while back I saw a guy
who didn't get the parking place he wanted because someone was ahead of
him. When he did get parked, as he passed the other, he rammed it
repeatedly with a shopping cart.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 02(II)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Lincoln's Birthday
The universe is really here to amuse
and serve us. It's true.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> Don't forget how when they got back they had to send a kid out to the
> car to fetch the checkbook. And the car was locked, so the kid had to
> come back for the keys.
>
> (then they asked to borrow your pen) ;-)

Joking aside... do many stores in the US still accept checks these days?
I'm curious because in RSA most places have signs up saying "Sorry no
checks accepted here" (except they still spell it as "cheques"). The
majority of stores will gladly accept cash and/or debit/credit cards,
but "check/cheque" has become a dirty word....
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> sf wrote:
>> On 13 Feb 2008 02:56:47 GMT, sandi > wrote:
>>
>>> One of my pet peeves are those who park their carts in the middle
>>> of the aisles, oblivious to others around them!

>> I'm not the shy type. I move their cart out of the way for them and
>> I've *never* been reprimanded. They are usually very embarrassed.

> heh, so do I

Count me in!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>>

>> Don't forget how when they got back they had to send a kid out to the
>> car to fetch the checkbook. And the car was locked, so the kid had to
>> come back for the keys.
>>
>> (then they asked to borrow your pen) ;-)

> Joking aside... do many stores in the US still accept checks these days?
> I'm curious because in RSA most places have signs up saying "Sorry no
> checks accepted here" (except they still spell it as "cheques"). The
> majority of stores will gladly accept cash and/or debit/credit cards,
> but "check/cheque" has become a dirty word....

The ones that do typically subscribe to a service that uses data they
gather to make a guess if the check is good. They have check
scanner/printer units at those registers. The scanner reads the account
info, sends it to the mother ship and then if it is approved it prints
the check data and a code on the check. Some places have a system where
you need a check cashing card issued by them in order to use a check.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Abe > wrote in message
>> What would that accomplish? That's the same store
>> manager that doesn't care if people take their 32-item
>> carts through the Express Lane, because he's not
>> behind them.
>>

> In my supermarket, I obey the rules concerning # of items
> and the express lane. Occasionally, if the store isn't too
> busy, I'll get lucky, and the checker in an empty express
> lane will call me over, even if I have large wagon of stuff.

That's apples-and-oranges, though. In a market where there are too
many checkers and not enough customers, the checker in the Express
lane is asking you to move, or more likely escorting your cart,
over to their stand. The part that people are complaining about is
those that have that self-proclaimed attitude of
self-entitlement -- I'm too important to wait in those *other*
lines.

ObFood: Penne with tomato, basil and green beans.

The Ranger