Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I need a bunch of good spice containers

Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet. I
already love this place.

Can anyone recommend a type of spice container to buy? Or a specific
retailer that sells a good cheap container?

I just bought a bunch of loose herbs and spices, and now I need some
spice containers to store them in. I'm thinking about these three types
right now:

- Metal tins, maybe with a window on top (like the ones at
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...6&ccurrency=2).
-

glass jars with lids. These let you see the spices, but they let in light.
- ceramic canisters with metal clasps. I think this might be called a
"lightning closure". I can't really find any of spice-jar size online,
but I know they exist. These best because they seal and keep out light,
but they're probably most expensive.

I'd love any tips you've got!

Raison

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:37:39 -0800, Raison de Calcul
> wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a type of spice container to buy? Or a specific
>retailer that sells a good cheap container?
>
>I just bought a bunch of loose herbs and spices, and now I need some
>spice containers to store them in. I'm thinking about these three types
>right now:

>glass jars with lids. These let you see the spices, but they let in light.

You might try Penzeys.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...nzeysjars.html

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2008-02-12 14:45:56 -0800, Christine Dabney > said:
> You might try Penzeys.
>
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...nzeysjars.html
>
> Christine

Those are a good price for glass jars. Just how bad is light for
spices? What if I keep them in a cupboard? Although both of my
cupboards are next to the stove...

Raison

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Raison de Calcul" > wrote in message
> Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet. I
> already love this place.

Grew up on the internet.....oh no. This sounds like a modern Charles Dickens
tragedy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anders J. Aamodt" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:37:39 -0800, Raison de
> > wrote:
>> glass jars with lids. These let you see the spices, but they let in
>> light.

> On 2008-02-12 14:45:56 -0800, Christine Dabney >
> said:
>> You might try Penzeys.
>>
>> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...nzeysjars.html
>>
>> Christine

> Those are a good price for glass jars. Just how bad is light for spices?
> What if I keep them in a cupboard? Although both of my cupboards are next
> to the stove...
>
> Raison

Light is very bad for spices. That's worse than "pretty bad" and "bad".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> "Raison de Calcul" > wrote in message
> > Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet. I
> > already love this place.

> Grew up on the internet.....oh no. This sounds like a modern Charles Dickens
> tragedy.

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
Please sir, can I have some more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 8:09 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Raison de Calcul" > wrote in messagenews:2008021214373916807-admin@andersaamodtname...
>
> > Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet. I
> > already love this place.

> Grew up on the internet.....oh no. This sounds like a modern Charles Dickens
> tragedy.

"So I called myself Ping, and came to be called Ping."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in
:

> "Anders J. Aamodt" > wrote in message
>| On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:37:39 -0800, Raison de
>| > wrote:
>| > glass jars with lids. These let you see the spices, but they let in
>| > light.
>|
>| On 2008-02-12 14:45:56 -0800, Christine Dabney
>| > said:
>| > You might try Penzeys.
>| >
>| > http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...nzeysjars.html
>| >
>| > Christine
>|
>| Those are a good price for glass jars. Just how bad is light for
>| spices? What if I keep them in a cupboard? Although both of my
>| cupboards are next to the stove...
>
> Light is the Darth Vader of earthly effects on spices. You have
> two choices: either paint the outside of the clear jars before
> filling them with herbs (this way you can create a pleasing color
> scheme to fit your kitchen) or when you buy the herbs spread
> them on a jelly-roll pan and spray-paint the spices so that
> the light will not penetrate and deteriorate them. Be sure to
> let them dry thoroughly before putting them into the jars,
> which then, of course, need not to be painted. The advantage
> of this course of action is that you can paint the herbs and
> spices to match whatever recopies you are contemplating:
> green for veggies, red for beef, pink for pork and so on, limited
> only by your imagination and creativity.
>
> pavane

Keep spices in dark glass beer bottles...a bent nail can be used to
produce shaker holes in the beer bottle caps. OH! use emptied beer
bottles only...think of the fun in collecting the containers especially
if you avoid American beer bottles

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Toronto > wrote in
:

> On Feb 12, 8:09 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>> "Raison de Calcul" > wrote in
>> messagenews:2008021214373916807-admin@andersaamodtname...
>>
>> > Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet.
>> > I already love this place.

>> Grew up on the internet.....oh no. This sounds like a modern Charles
>> Dickens tragedy.

> "So I called myself Ping, and came to be called Ping."

Is Classic poetry allowed?

There once was a Man from Nantucket....

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
>> "Raison de Calcul" > wrote in message
>> > Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet. I
>> > already love this place.

>> Grew up on the internet.....oh no. This sounds like a modern Charles Dickens
>> tragedy.

> It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.
> Please sir, can I have some more.

I'm sorry, Sir, but this is a food group. I'm sure you meant "wurst".

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2008021214373916807-admin@andersaamodtname>,
Raison de Calcul > wrote:

> Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet. I
> already love this place.
>
> Can anyone recommend a type of spice container to buy? Or a specific
> retailer that sells a good cheap container?
>
> I just bought a bunch of loose herbs and spices, and now I need some
> spice containers to store them in. I'm thinking about these three types
> right now:
>
> - Metal tins, maybe with a window on top (like the ones at
> http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...326&ccurrency=
> 2).
> -
>
> glass jars with lids. These let you see the spices, but they let in light.
> - ceramic canisters with metal clasps. I think this might be called a
> "lightning closure". I can't really find any of spice-jar size online,
> but I know they exist. These best because they seal and keep out light,
> but they're probably most expensive.
>
> I'd love any tips you've got!
>
> Raison

I use jars (~the size of Penzeys 1/2 cup glass jar), label the lid, and
store the jars alphabetically in a drawer. That size jar is readily
available at Cost Plus World Market, my food co-op, and at Freund
Container (www.FreundContainer.com). If exposure to daylight is your
concern, store them in a dark place: closet, shoe box, cabinet, etc.
For some reason I'm not one who is interested in storing my spices in a
rack on my counter. I have too many jars, for one thing. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Raison de Calcul wrote:
> Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet. I
> already love this place.
>
> Can anyone recommend a type of spice container to buy? Or a specific
> retailer that sells a good cheap container?
>
> I just bought a bunch of loose herbs and spices, and now I need some
> spice containers to store them in. I'm thinking about these three types
> right now:
>
> - Metal tins, maybe with a window on top (like the ones at
> http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...6&ccurrency=2).
>
> -
> glass jars with lids. These let you see the spices, but they let in light.
> - ceramic canisters with metal clasps. I think this might be called a
> "lightning closure". I can't really find any of spice-jar size online,
> but I know they exist. These best because they seal and keep out light,
> but they're probably most expensive.
>
> I'd love any tips you've got!
>
> Raison

Baby food jars. (I can't believe nobody has mentioned them yet) Just
keep them in a dark cabinet. Being able to see what's inside the jars
is a /good/ thing.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Raison de Calcul" > wrote in message
> Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet. I
> already love this place.
>
> Can anyone recommend a type of spice container to buy? Or a specific
> retailer that sells a good cheap container?
>
> I just bought a bunch of loose herbs and spices, and now I need some spice
> containers to store them in. I'm thinking about these three types right
> now:
>
> - Metal tins, maybe with a window on top (like the ones at
> http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...6&ccurrency=2).
> -
> glass jars with lids. These let you see the spices, but they let in light.
> - ceramic canisters with metal clasps. I think this might be called a
> "lightning closure". I can't really find any of spice-jar size online, but
> I know they exist. These best because they seal and keep out light, but
> they're probably most expensive.
>
> I'd love any tips you've got!
>
> Raison

The Container Store offers a nice selection.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse...9&viewAll=true

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Raison de Calcul" > wrote in message
> Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet. I
> already love this place.
>
> Can anyone recommend a type of spice container to buy? Or a specific
> retailer that sells a good cheap container?
>
> I just bought a bunch of loose herbs and spices, and now I need some
> spice containers to store them in. I'm thinking about these three types
> right now:
>
> - Metal tins, maybe with a window on top (like the ones at

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...6&ccurrency=2).
> -
>
> glass jars with lids. These let you see the spices, but they let in light.
> - ceramic canisters with metal clasps. I think this might be called a
> "lightning closure". I can't really find any of spice-jar size online,
> but I know they exist. These best because they seal and keep out light,
> but they're probably most expensive.
>
> I'd love any tips you've got!
>
> Raison

If you have a Dollarama near you, they carry a large selection of jars
with shaker tops, and the clamp down kind with the rubber rings, and all
kinds of storage jars. Cheap and easy to use......Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Raison de Calcul" wrote

> Can anyone recommend a type of spice container to buy? Or a specific
> retailer that sells a good cheap container?

> I'd love any tips you've got!

Got a friend with a baby/young toddler still on baby food perchance? Ask
for some jars with lids and wash them (the labels soak off easy). If you
want fancy and dont mind being a little crafty, you can then wrpa them in a
bit of pretty fabric or ribbon leaving a little free glass you can see
through at the top. Elmers glue or rubber cement will do fine to hold the
fabric/ribbon on.

Want really fancy? Cut a circle of some thin colored paper, glue this to
the top then use a permanent marker and write the contents on it. You can
then coat the top with clear nailpolish or some sort of shellac to protect
the paper <g>.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

> I use jars (~the size of Penzeys 1/2 cup glass jar), label the lid, and
> store the jars alphabetically in a drawer.

<SNIP>

Of course you do! I just knew it! And I'll bet the little round labels bear
the name and date in marker of an appropriate color.

But do <you> have hand-cut matboard dividers to keep them in neat rows?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message

<SNIP>

> Want really fancy? Cut a circle of some thin colored paper, glue this to
> the top then use a permanent marker and write the contents on it. You can
> then coat the top with clear nailpolish or some sort of shellac to protect
> the paper <g>.

Ooh, <colored> paper circles! The next rainy afternoon ...

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Raison de Calcul wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a type of spice container to buy? Or a specific
> retailer that sells a good cheap container?
>
> I just bought a bunch of loose herbs and spices, and now I need some
> spice containers to store them in. I'm thinking about these three types
> right now:
>
> - Metal tins, maybe with a window on top (like the ones athttp://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?page=10154&category=1,43326&c...).
> -
>
> glass jars with lids. These let you see the spices, but they let in light.
> - ceramic canisters with metal clasps. I think this might be called a
> "lightning closure". I can't really find any of spice-jar size online,
> but I know they exist. These best because they seal and keep out light,
> but they're probably most expensive.
>
> I'd love any tips you've got!

Different herbs/spices require different size/configuration
containers... I save and reuse various food jars.. I think it's
inanely silly to buy spice bottles when so many foods come in very
appropriately sized jars/bottles. And I don't care that they don't
match, in fact I prefer that they are all different so that I can
easily locate a particular item by the container rather than have to
visually examine contents and/or read labels.

Here's my spice cabinet(s). As anyone can plainly see my containers
are an eclectic collection... may look confusing but I know what's in
each and all have a home, they all go back in the same spot... I can
find them in the dark. It's hard to see but there are a number of
lazy susan thingies in the http://i29.tinypic.com/wlrafd.jpg

SHELDON
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 4:37 pm, Raison de Calcul > wrote:
> Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet. I
> already love this place.
>
> Can anyone recommend a type of spice container to buy? Or a specific
> retailer that sells a good cheap container?
>
> I just bought a bunch of loose herbs and spices, and now I need some
> spice containers to store them in. I'm thinking about these three types
> right now:
>
> - Metal tins, maybe with a window on top (like the ones athttp://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?page=10154&category=1,43326&c...).
> -
>
> glass jars with lids. These let you see the spices, but they let in light.
> - ceramic canisters with metal clasps. I think this might be called a
> "lightning closure". I can't really find any of spice-jar size online,
> but I know they exist. These best because they seal and keep out light,
> but they're probably most expensive.
>
> I'd love any tips you've got!
>
> Raison

Try www.stacksandstacks.com. They have all kinds, as I recall. I
have clear glass with shaker-insert black plastic lids, but mine
aren't stored in the light. You can use glass if you store them
inside a drawer or cupboard. Marthastewart.com sells metal canisters
for spices - a couple sizes, I think - but they are (to me) very
expensive. Pier 1 or Crate & Barrel sells a metal spice container ...
don't recall the price. Just Google.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 12, 8:33 pm, hahabogus > wrote:
> "pavane" > wrote :
>

> > "Anders J. Aamodt" > wrote in message
> >| On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 14:37:39 -0800, Raison de
> >|
> >| On 2008-02-12 14:45:56 -0800, Christine Dabney

> >| Those are a good price for glass jars. Just how bad is light for
> >| spices? What if I keep them in a cupboard? Although both of my
> >| cupboards are next to the stove...

> > Light is the Darth Vader of earthly effects on spices. You have
> > two choices: either paint the outside of the clear jars before
> > filling them with herbs (this way you can create a pleasing color
> > scheme to fit your kitchen) or when you buy the herbs spread
> > them on a jelly-roll pan and spray-paint the spices so that
> > the light will not penetrate and deteriorate them. Be sure to
> > let them dry thoroughly before putting them into the jars,
> > which then, of course, need not to be painted. The advantage
> > of this course of action is that you can paint the herbs and
> > spices to match whatever recopies you are contemplating:
> > green for veggies, red for beef, pink for pork and so on, limited
> > only by your imagination and creativity.

> > pavane

> Keep spices in dark glass beer bottles...a bent nail can be used to
> produce shaker holes in the beer bottle caps. OH! use emptied beer
> bottles only...think of the fun in collecting the containers especially
> if you avoid American beer bottles
>
> --
>
> The house of the burning beet-Alan
>
> It'll be a sunny day in August, when the Moon will shine that night-
> Elbonian Folklore

Cute. How about sealing the holey caps of the beer bottles, Alan?

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Raison de Calcul wrote:
> Hi, this is my first time on usenet, but I grew up on the Internet. I
> already love this place.
>
> Can anyone recommend a type of spice container to buy? Or a specific
> retailer that sells a good cheap container?
>
> I just bought a bunch of loose herbs and spices, and now I need some
> spice containers to store them in. I'm thinking about these three types
> right now:
>
> - Metal tins, maybe with a window on top (like the ones at
> http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...6&ccurrency=2).
>
> -
> glass jars with lids. These let you see the spices, but they let in light.
> - ceramic canisters with metal clasps. I think this might be called a
> "lightning closure". I can't really find any of spice-jar size online,
> but I know they exist. These best because they seal and keep out light,
> but they're probably most expensive.
>
> I'd love any tips you've got!
>
> Raison

I picked up a bunch of these last year and they've worked great. I
labeled with my labeler and stack in the cabinet. I like that I can get
the measuring spoon in no problem (when I bother to measure).

http://www.specialtybottle.com/index...n=Custom&ID=25
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice" wrote to"cshenk"

> <SNIP>
>
>> Want really fancy? Cut a circle of some thin colored paper, glue this to
>> the top then use a permanent marker and write the contents on it. You
>> can then coat the top with clear nailpolish or some sort of shellac to
>> protect the paper <g>.

> Ooh, <colored> paper circles! The next rainy afternoon ...

Hehe well, with a 14YO, who likes to play, this is pretty easy. Buy her
some glue, some paper, and a few markers. If you don't give kids a safe
outlet, they tend to find their own...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 08:25:12 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"Felice" wrote to"cshenk"
>
>> <SNIP>
>>
>>> Want really fancy? Cut a circle of some thin colored paper, glue this to
>>> the top then use a permanent marker and write the contents on it. You
>>> can then coat the top with clear nailpolish or some sort of shellac to
>>> protect the paper <g>.

>> Ooh, <colored> paper circles! The next rainy afternoon ...

>Hehe well, with a 14YO, who likes to play, this is pretty easy. Buy her
>some glue, some paper, and a few markers. If you don't give kids a safe
>outlet, they tend to find their own...

and if your kid's on meth, you get really ornate labels....

your pal,
blake