Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another pork & sauerkraut recipe

2 lbs sauerkraut, rinsed and pressed dry
3 lbs country-style bone-in pork ribs
1-2 tsp garlic power, or to taste
1 medium onion sliced in thin strips
3 thinly sliced medium apples
2 Tbsp brown sugar, more or less depending on tartness of apples
2 Tbsp caraway seed
1/2 tsp celery salt
1 cup unsweetened apple juice

Preheat baking oven to 350 degrees.

Trim fat from ribs and sprinkle with garlic powder.

Precook ribs for 9 minutes in microwave oven. Drain fat.

Combine sauerkraut, onion, apples, caraway seeds, celery salt, brown
sugar and apple juice. Mix well and spoon over precooked ribs.

Bake covered at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 12:45 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> wrote:

> > 2 lbs sauerkraut, rinsed and pressed dry
> > 3 lbs country-style bone-in pork ribs
> > 1-2 tsp garlic power, or to taste
> > 1 medium onion sliced in thin strips
> > 3 thinly sliced medium apples
> > 2 Tbsp brown sugar, more or less depending
> > on tartness of apples
> > 2 Tbsp caraway seed
> > 1/2 tsp celery salt
> > 1 cup unsweetened apple juice

> I make this in the crock pot. Instead of apples and
> apple juice, I put in some unsweetened applesauce.
> I keep the little individual servings for just that
> purpose. I also add a little white wine.

Do you brown the meat prior? How much of that "little white wine" do
you add? Is it a sweet wine (late harvest or muscat) or dry? What do
you do about the excess fat that is rendered during the slow-cooking?

I like the idea of using the crockpot for it and substituting some
items.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in message
[Snip-O'-Matic Employeed
> Even "dry wine" is sweet [..]

Balderdash and humbug!

I've tasted more-than-a-few wines from the Alsace region, two
German spatleses, and two Australian chardonnays that could pucker
a lemon! "Sweet" just isn't part of those wineries' vocabulary.

ObExample: Karthauserhof spatlese is characterized as "firm on the
palate. A bold slap of leather with flowery finish." I don't mind
these characteristics in a whisky but they're misplaced in wine.

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 09:25:51 -0800, "The Ranger"
> wrote:

>I've tasted more-than-a-few wines from the Alsace region, two
>German spatleses, and two Australian chardonnays that could pucker
>a lemon! "Sweet" just isn't part of those wineries' vocabulary.

Sweetness is inherent. Reduce it and you'll call it sweet.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in message
> On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 09:25:51 -0800, "The Ranger"
> > wrote:
>
>> I've tasted more-than-a-few wines from the Alsace
>> region, two German spatleses, and two Australian
>> chardonnays that could pucker a lemon! "Sweet"
>> just isn't part of those wineries' vocabulary.
>>

> Sweetness is inherent. Reduce it and you'll call it sweet.

Uhm. Oh-kayyy.

The Ranger
--
"I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but am
not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Feb 8, 12:45 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> wrote:

>>> 2 lbs sauerkraut, rinsed and pressed dry
>>> 3 lbs country-style bone-in pork ribs
>>> 1-2 tsp garlic power, or to taste
>>> 1 medium onion sliced in thin strips
>>> 3 thinly sliced medium apples
>>> 2 Tbsp brown sugar, more or less depending
>>> on tartness of apples
>>> 2 Tbsp caraway seed
>>> 1/2 tsp celery salt
>>> 1 cup unsweetened apple juice

>> I make this in the crock pot. Instead of apples and
>> apple juice, I put in some unsweetened applesauce.
>> I keep the little individual servings for just that
>> purpose. I also add a little white wine.

> Do you brown the meat prior? How much of that "little white wine" do
> you add? Is it a sweet wine (late harvest or muscat) or dry? What do
> you do about the excess fat that is rendered during the slow-cooking?
>
> I like the idea of using the crockpot for it and substituting some
> items.

I don't usually bother browning the meat, but I will set the slow-cooker
on high and kick the meat around in it for several minutes. It's a
quasi-sear <g> I trim any extra fat before cooking the country ribs.

I use a dry wine. With the applesauce and sugar, a sweet wine would,
IMHO, be over-kill. I usually keep one of those little 4-packs of
inexpensive California white, like Sutter Home Chardonnay, on hand for
cooking. The little bottles have screw caps and a single bottle fits
nicely in the spice cabinet. A 4-pack lasts a year when used just for
cooking. Oh, yeah. I use about 1/4 cup of wine.

I am not a fan of celery salt at all, so I would leave that out in favor
of several healthy twists of fresh black pepper. A few caraway seeds add
a nice flavor and I've used them in my recipe.

I also like adding small, red potatoes. They are delicious when cooked
with the pork and kraut. A whole meal in a pot!

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> sf wrote in message
> [Snip-O'-Matic Employeed
>> Even "dry wine" is sweet [..]

> Balderdash and humbug!
>
> I've tasted more-than-a-few wines from the Alsace region, two
> German spatleses, and two Australian chardonnays that could pucker
> a lemon! "Sweet" just isn't part of those wineries' vocabulary.
>
> ObExample: Karthauserhof spatlese is characterized as "firm on the
> palate. A bold slap of leather with flowery finish." I don't mind
> these characteristics in a whisky but they're misplaced in wine.
>
> The Ranger

My newsreader says it's "whiskey".

The Kick-Ass Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Ranger wrote:
> sf wrote in message
>> On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 09:25:51 -0800, "The Ranger"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I've tasted more-than-a-few wines from the Alsace
>>> region, two German spatleses, and two Australian
>>> chardonnays that could pucker a lemon! "Sweet"
>>> just isn't part of those wineries' vocabulary.
>>>

>> Sweetness is inherent. Reduce it and you'll call it sweet.

> Uhm. Oh-kayyy.
>
> The Ranger

Lame response for a Ranger.

The Ranger Lord
Posted to rec.food.cooking

d[ic]k > brayed his usual noise through
message ...
> My newsreader says it's "whiskey".

Then you need a better "newsreader" when spell-checking something.
You might want to check Merriam Webster or any other information
source so your knee doesn't pop you so suddenly or solidly in the
nose.

http://www.answers.com/whisky?cat=technology

So, d[ic]k, go **** yourself.

The Ranger