Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Peanut, peanut butter, jelly !

First, the song:
PEANUT BUTTER
(Chorus)
Peanut, peanut butter, jelly!

First you take the peanuts and you pick 'em, you pick 'em,
You pick 'em, pick 'em, pick 'em
Then you crush 'em, crush 'em,
You crush 'em, crush 'em, crush 'em
Then you spread 'em, spread 'em,
You spread 'em, spread 'em, spread 'em...
(Chorus)

Then you take the berries and you pick 'em, you pick 'em,
You pick 'em, pick 'em, pick 'em
Then you crush 'em, crush 'em,
You crush 'em, crush 'em, crush 'em
Then you spread 'em, spread 'em,
You spread 'em, spread 'em, spread 'em...
(Chorus)

Next, the question:
I just made peanut butter from dry roasted peanuts, a little honey, a
little oil, a little salt, with my food processor. If the ingredients
don't, in and of themselves, require refrigeration, why does the end
product need to be refrigerated.

All responses I see will be read with interest.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Next, the question:
> I just made peanut butter from dry roasted peanuts, a little honey, a
> little oil, a little salt, with my food processor. If the ingredients
> don't, in and of themselves, require refrigeration, why does the end
> product need to be refrigerated.
>
> All responses I see will be read with interest.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Here's my take:

Sesame seeds are used to make tahini (I know you know that, but others may
not).

When you buy it at the grocers, it always has a film of oil, sometimes up to
1-1/2" to 2". The bottom has settled into almost a brick because it doesn't
remain mixed, but separates.

My guess would be that you should mix your peanie butter, refrigerate it in
a jar when it is mixed, and it may remain mixed, instead of having to re-mix
it because the oil will come to the top.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> First, the song:
> PEANUT BUTTER
> (Chorus)
> Peanut, peanut butter, jelly!
> Peanut, peanut butter, jelly!
>
> First you take the peanuts and you pick 'em, you pick 'em,
> You pick 'em, pick 'em, pick 'em
> Then you crush 'em, crush 'em,
> You crush 'em, crush 'em, crush 'em
> Then you spread 'em, spread 'em,
> You spread 'em, spread 'em, spread 'em...
> (Chorus)
>
> Then you take the berries and you pick 'em, you pick 'em,
> You pick 'em, pick 'em, pick 'em
> Then you crush 'em, crush 'em,
> You crush 'em, crush 'em, crush 'em
> Then you spread 'em, spread 'em,
> You spread 'em, spread 'em, spread 'em...
> (Chorus)
>
> Next, the question:
> I just made peanut butter from dry roasted peanuts, a little honey, a
> little oil, a little salt, with my food processor. If the ingredients
> don't, in and of themselves, require refrigeration, why does the end
> product need to be refrigerated.
>
> All responses I see will be read with interest.

I don't refrigerate my "regular" peanut butter - Jif. But I also keep
the old fashioned style around - the kind where the oils need to be
stirred in. If you refrigerate it - then you don't have to keep stirring it!

I know some prefer to refrigerate both.

-Tracy
(nice song by the way...)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Tracy > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > First, the song:
> > PEANUT BUTTER
> > (Chorus)
> > Peanut, peanut butter, jelly!
> > Peanut, peanut butter, jelly!

(snip)
> > Next, the question:
> > I just made peanut butter from dry roasted peanuts, a little honey, a
> > little oil, a little salt, with my food processor. If the ingredients
> > don't, in and of themselves, require refrigeration, why does the end
> > product need to be refrigerated.
> >
> > All responses I see will be read with interest.

> I don't refrigerate my "regular" peanut butter - Jif. But I also keep
> the old fashioned style around - the kind where the oils need to be
> stirred in. If you refrigerate it - then you don't have to keep stirring it!

Hah! I didn't know that refrigeration would prevent the separation.
Thanks, Tracy.

> I know some prefer to refrigerate both.
>
> -Tracy
> (nice song by the way...)

It's not original. A song my kids learned in preschool and/or day camp.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I just made peanut butter from dry roasted peanuts, a little honey, a
> little oil, a little salt, with my food processor. If the ingredients
> don't, in and of themselves, require refrigeration, why does the end
> product need to be refrigerated.
>
> All responses I see will be read with interest.

I hadn't thought about the oil separating out as a reason
for refrigeration.
I always assumed that peanut and other nut butters wouldn't
get rancid
as quickly if they were refrigerated.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:

> I hadn't thought about the oil separating out as a reason for
> refrigeration.
> I always assumed that peanut and other nut butters wouldn't get rancid
> as quickly if they were refrigerated.
>
> gloria p

I've never refrigerated peanut butter. I've never had any go rancid.
We don't eat as much now as we used to and yet it still doesn't go bad.
Just our good luck? <shrug>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Puester wrote:
>
> > I hadn't thought about the oil separating out as a reason for
> > refrigeration.
> > I always assumed that peanut and other nut butters wouldn't get rancid
> > as quickly if they were refrigerated.

OK, but that's my question - why would that be a problem with the blend
if it is not a problem with the individual ingredients? I don't
refrigerate any of them.

> > gloria p

> I've never refrigerated peanut butter. I've never had any go rancid.
> We don't eat as much now as we used to and yet it still doesn't go bad.
> Just our good luck? <shrug>

I don't refrigerate commercial stuff; I was curious about homemade.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 16:00:08 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Next, the question:
>I just made peanut butter from dry roasted peanuts, a little honey, a
>little oil, a little salt, with my food processor. If the ingredients
>don't, in and of themselves, require refrigeration, why does the end
>product need to be refrigerated.

As others have stated, eventually the oil will go rancid. So it
depends on how long it takes you to consume the finished product.

It's never a problem at our house. The wife's normal breakfast is an
apple spread with peanut butter (she will not eat nuts but likes
crunchy peanut butter. Go figure.) A jar might last a week and a
half.

When I was growing up we always kept peanut butter in the fridge,
which made it impossible to spread. Now I realize it was ridiculous.
The stuff would never have gone rancid; a dozen or so siblings can go
through a 5-lb tub of peanut butter faster than you can imagine.

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> I just made peanut butter from dry roasted peanuts, a little honey, a
>> little oil, a little salt, with my food processor. If the ingredients
>> don't, in and of themselves, require refrigeration, why does the end
>> product need to be refrigerated.
>>
>> All responses I see will be read with interest.

> I hadn't thought about the oil separating out as a reason for
> refrigeration.
> I always assumed that peanut and other nut butters wouldn't get rancid
> as quickly if they were refrigerated.

The oil will still separate out even if refrigerated. You have to stir it
each time before using.

I think you are right about the nut butter going rancid. The shelf stable
kind have added oils of different kinds to keep them from going rancid and
to keep from having to stir them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Goomba38 > wrote:
>
>> Puester wrote:
>>
>> > I hadn't thought about the oil separating out as a reason for
>> > refrigeration.
>> > I always assumed that peanut and other nut butters wouldn't get rancid
>> > as quickly if they were refrigerated.

> OK, but that's my question - why would that be a problem with the blend
> if it is not a problem with the individual ingredients? I don't
> refrigerate any of them.

At least for the nuts, because you processed them. Just like if you took a
whole carrot and left it sitting on the counter for a few days. You could
still eat it and not get sick. Now granted if it were warm enough, it might
not be so crisp. But you wouldn't get sick from it. But put that carrot in
the food processor, break it down into little bits and leave it out for a
few days and you have food poisoning in a dish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Next, the question:
> I just made peanut butter from dry roasted peanuts, a little honey, a
> little oil, a little salt, with my food processor. If the ingredients
> don't, in and of themselves, require refrigeration, why does the end
> product need to be refrigerated.
>
> All responses I see will be read with interest.

So that if someone gets sick from unrefrigerated peanut butter, the
manufacturers can say it was their own fault for not following the
instructions on the jar.

Miche (who has never refrigerated peanut butter because honestly there's
no need)

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <dM8qj.3524$Qj3.2536@trndny07>,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > Goomba38 > wrote:

> > OK, but that's my question - why would that be a problem with the blend
> > if it is not a problem with the individual ingredients? I don't
> > refrigerate any of them.

> At least for the nuts, because you processed them. Just like if you took a
> whole carrot and left it sitting on the counter for a few days. You could
> still eat it and not get sick. Now granted if it were warm enough, it might
> not be so crisp. But you wouldn't get sick from it. But put that carrot in
> the food processor, break it down into little bits and leave it out for a
> few days and you have food poisoning in a dish.

??? If I leave little bits of carrot on the counter for a few days,
I'll have dried carrot bits, possibly to rehydrate in soup.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jay wrote:

>> In article >, Tracy > wrote:
>>

>>> I don't refrigerate my "regular" peanut butter - Jif. But I also keep
>>> the old fashioned style around - the kind where the oils need to be
>>> stirred in. If you refrigerate it - then you don't have to keep stirring it!

>> Hah! I didn't know that refrigeration would prevent the separation.
>> Thanks, Tracy.

> If you refrigerate it.. you don't have to stir it up before use but it is
> hard to spread.
>
> jay

Yeah, I guess, but still easier than stirring the oil back in every time
you want to use it....;-)

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Puester" > wrote in message

> > I hadn't thought about the oil separating out as a reason for
> > refrigeration. I always assumed that peanut and other nut butters
> > wouldn't get rancid as quickly if they were refrigerated.

> The oil will still separate out even if refrigerated. You have to
> stir it each time before using.

I don't think so. Even when not refrigerated, the natural separates
very slowly. When I get a jar of Smucker's natural, it separates so
slowly that I usually don't have to stir again. Sometimes if I didn't
do a good job initially, it will need a redo because there's some at
the bottom that didn't get incorporated fully.

> I think you are right about the nut butter going rancid.

No. Unless you have unsalted, it's not going rancid in any reasonable
time frame. If you aren't going to use if for a month, maybe.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Tracy > wrote:

> jay wrote:

> >> Hah! I didn't know that refrigeration would prevent the separation.
> >> Thanks, Tracy.

> > If you refrigerate it.. you don't have to stir it up before use but it is
> > hard to spread.
> >
> > jay

> Yeah, I guess, but still easier than stirring the oil back in every time
> you want to use it....;-)

That takes, what, 10 seconds?

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "Puester" > wrote in message

>>> I hadn't thought about the oil separating out as a reason for
>>> refrigeration. I always assumed that peanut and other nut butters
>>> wouldn't get rancid as quickly if they were refrigerated.

>> The oil will still separate out even if refrigerated. You have to
>> stir it each time before using.

> I don't think so. Even when not refrigerated, the natural separates
> very slowly. When I get a jar of Smucker's natural, it separates so
> slowly that I usually don't have to stir again. Sometimes if I didn't
> do a good job initially, it will need a redo because there's some at
> the bottom that didn't get incorporated fully.
>
>> I think you are right about the nut butter going rancid.

> No. Unless you have unsalted, it's not going rancid in any reasonable
> time frame. If you aren't going to use if for a month, maybe.

Would you believe a year or longer? Peanut oil, in a plastic bottle or
in a layer on top of your peanut butter, oxidizes *very* slowly. Don't
ask me how I know this.

Bob