Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is the most EVIL food you ever ate???

"just joe" wrote
>> 1 cup kimchee washed down with 4 warm San Miguel beers and 2 salted
>> balut.

> balut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> sound of joe running away and screaming like a little girl.

Hehe actually I like Balut, but topping the kimchee with warm San Miguels
was probably not the smartest thing I've ever done!

Oh and before you eat durian, warm in the sun in a street stall, wrap your
hands in samwich bags so your fingers are ok afterwards <g>.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.evil,eunet.esprit

Baloot ... nasty, puked on the spot!

Worst thing I saw someone else eat?

A wood moth that flew into my friend Mickeys Big Mouth at the park one
night.
Chug, chug, chug ... then laughing our asses off for 20 minutes!

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.evil,eunet.esprit

"Mickeys Big Mouth" is a brand of beer, not the friends name!

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.evil,eunet.esprit

BogusID wrote:
> Baloot ... nasty, puked on the spot!

I saw that done, but no way was I going to try it!>

--
Leah: That were a wee bit repulsive.
Buffy: Went okay. 'Cept I feel a little wierd about using a
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 4, 10:58*pm, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 00:00:59 GMT, (Little
>
> Malice) wrote:

> >> Mine is real simple. *Never eat a half box of Cheerios in one sitting..

> >Same here, only with a 1 pound bag of carrots...

> I ate a pound of pitted prunes one time just to see if they worked as
> promised (I wasn't "backed up" at the time). *Nada, nothing... not
> even an extra fart.
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email
> remove the smiley face first

One year, my dad gave us all sacks of kiwi fruits for christmas.(One
of his weirder, yet more successful gifts.) They were so delicious
and fresh, I ate about three in a single day. They gave me the worst,
sharp gas pains of my life. The kind that make you think
"Appendicitis!" Or possibly that you have gall stones/kidney stones
etc etc. I can have a bit of kiwi now and then--after all they're so
pretty when sliced, I can't resist them. But I don't eat three entire
kiwis in a day, anymore. I don't ever want to experience that pain
again.

Other than that, one of the nastier meals I've eaten was a mackeral
casserole my dad cooked (Is there a pattern here?). I don't think it
had a bad effect on my digestion, it was awful enough on the way down.

Melissa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shiral wrote on Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:19:22 -0700 (PDT):

S> On Feb 4, 10:58 pm, sf wrote:
??>> On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 00:00:59 GMT,

??>> (Little
??>>
??>> Malice) wrote:
??>>> One time on Usenet, " >
said:
??>>>> On Feb 4, 8:02=EF=BF=BDam, Carl Dau
??>>>> > wrote:
??>>
??>>>>> What's the most EVIL food you ever ate???
??>>
??>>>> Mine is real simple. Never eat a half box of Cheerios
??>>>> in one sitting.
??>>
??>>> Same here, only with a 1 pound bag of carrots...
??>>
??>> I ate a pound of pitted prunes one time just to see if
??>> they worked as promised (I wasn't "backed up" at the
??>> time). Nada, nothing... not even an extra fart.
??>>

Given that you could argue that "pitted prunes" could just as
well mean those that *have* pits, I'm not surprised! Actually, I
like a few prunes without pits as a snack.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael \"Dog3\" wrote:

> I hadn't thought about veggies and such. Hows about 1 1/2 pounds of bing
> cherries at one sitting... Gawd

LOL That would certainly be a test of intestinal fortitude.

I once had an order of suicide wings along with a few beers. I had no problem
eating them, but it was the first time I ever ate anything that was as hot
going out as it was going in. Never again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 12:47:03 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>Given that you could argue that "pitted prunes" could just as
>well mean those that *have* pits, I'm not surprised!

A pound of pitted prunes is more prune flesh to eat that a pound of
prunes with pits.... I was using the scientific method.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:30:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Michael \"Dog3\" wrote:
>

>> I hadn't thought about veggies and such. Hows about 1 1/2 pounds of bing
>> cherries at one sitting... Gawd

lightweight

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

A pound of spaghetti, with sauce, at one sitting.

I was about 10 and my EVIL cousin bet me I couldn't do it. Our (childless)
aunt obliged by supplying the spaghetti. It was a long time before I could
face another plate of the stuff..

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> Given that you could argue that "pitted prunes" could just as well
> mean those that have pits

Not really. Do you think "peeled apples" could mean apples with peels?
What you are suggesting is that the prunes somehow had pits added
through the action of pitting.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.evil,eunet.esprit

"ravenlynne" > wrote in message
> BogusID wrote:
>> Baloot ... nasty, puked on the spot!

> I saw that done, but no way was I going to try it!>
>

> --
> Leah: That were a wee bit repulsive.
> Buffy: Went okay. 'Cept I feel a little wierd about using a crucifix
> to kill someone.
> Leah: Yeh dinno much about religion, do yeh?

Yup, a coworker born and raised in the Philippines went home for a month
vacation.

He was talking about how tasty this dish is, despite its reputation, was one
of his favorites.
So another worker and I said "hey bring some back and we'll try it!"

I tried it first, and the other guy backed away.
If I couldn't have smelt it, I *might* have kept it down, but just couldn't
get past it.

<http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Bizarre_Foods?refcd=GO10523s_strange_foods&tsacr=g o962033452>

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.evil,eunet.esprit

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 23:46:49 GMT, "BogusID" >
wrote:

>Baloot ... nasty, puked on the spot!
>
>Worst thing I saw someone else eat?
>
>A wood moth that flew into my friend Mickeys Big Mouth at the park one
>night.
>Chug, chug, chug ... then laughing our asses off for 20 minutes!

<squirm>

Ew.

Liver is the most evil food for me and I had to eat at least one bite
when it was a kid. It was preceded by a gulp of milk and washed down
with a second gulp. I never minded the smell of it cooking, and it had
been years since I tasted it, so once about 15 years ago I decided to
give it a try and see if my taste had "matured" or something, but it
was just as nasty as I remembered.

As far as stuff I tried on purpose as an adult, I guess it would be
the canned collard greens. My preschooler son loved spinach, and ate
either the canned or frozen stuff (18 or so years ago, fresh spinach
in my smallish town didn't come often enough to accustomed to eating
it), so I bought him some canned collard greens thinking he might
enjoy a change. He loved them, but I took a taste and they were just
*awful*. I've still never tasted fresh collard greens, but they have
to be better than the canned stuff. I mean, canned spinach is way
different from fresh or frozen, but it's not *evil* tasting.

To make matters worse, I had my daughter, who was maybe 6 or 7 at the
time and has always hated spinach, taste it (you know, that feeling
that you must share the awfulness with someone). She still hasn't
forgiven me.

I usually am not too daring when it comes to food. I love fish but
hate seafood, but once I grabbed what I thought was a mozzarella ball
appetizer, but it was a breaded oyster. It was like eating an eyeball.

Laurie
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.evil,eunet.esprit

Laurie S. wrote:

> To make matters worse, I had my daughter, who was maybe 6 or 7 at the
> time and has always hated spinach, taste it (you know, that feeling
> that you must share the awfulness with someone). She still hasn't
> forgiven me.

I had to laugh at the feeling you have to share awfulness. In my family
it's usually one or the other of my teenaged kids and it's usually
something gross-smelling... "Ew! This stinks! Smell it!"

I generally refuse and then they try to invoke the Courtesy Sniff rule.
If somebody wants confirmation that a substance is, in fact,
disgusting, you are obliged to take a whiff. I tell them that I trust
their judgement and that if they think it's nasty, it probably is, and
anyway parents are exempt from the Courtesy Sniff rule, due to having
had to change dirty diapers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.evil,eunet.esprit

Kathleen > wrote in message
> [..] and anyway parents are exempt from the
> Courtesy Sniff rule, due to having had to change
> dirty diapers.

Hey! This Law is missing from my copy of UPC (Uniform Parent
Code)! Can you please post the addendum?

Many thanks!

The Ranger

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.evil,eunet.esprit

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:32:19 -0500, Kathleen
> wrote:

>Laurie S. wrote:
>

>> To make matters worse, I had my daughter, who was maybe 6 or 7 at the
>> time and has always hated spinach, taste it (you know, that feeling
>> that you must share the awfulness with someone). She still hasn't
>> forgiven me.

>I had to laugh at the feeling you have to share awfulness. In my family
>it's usually one or the other of my teenaged kids and it's usually
>something gross-smelling... "Ew! This stinks! Smell it!"
>
>I generally refuse and then they try to invoke the Courtesy Sniff rule.
> If somebody wants confirmation that a substance is, in fact,
>disgusting, you are obliged to take a whiff. I tell them that I trust
>their judgement and that if they think it's nasty, it probably is, and
>anyway parents are exempt from the Courtesy Sniff rule, due to having
>had to change dirty diapers.

Tee.

My friend had this story:

His dad had some cheese and he tasted it and said it tasted like a
sweaty horse. So my friend and his mom tried it and they couldn't
quite dispute it.

But my friend's then-girlfriend declined. She apparently thought that
it tasting like a sweaty horse was a good reason to NOT try it.

Laurie
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.evil,eunet.esprit

"Laurie S." > wrote in message
> On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:32:19 -0500, Kathleen
> > wrote:
>
>>Laurie S. wrote:
>>

>>> To make matters worse, I had my daughter, who was maybe 6 or 7 at the
>>> time and has always hated spinach, taste it (you know, that feeling
>>> that you must share the awfulness with someone). She still hasn't
>>> forgiven me.

>>I had to laugh at the feeling you have to share awfulness. In my family
>>it's usually one or the other of my teenaged kids and it's usually
>>something gross-smelling... "Ew! This stinks! Smell it!"
>>
>>I generally refuse and then they try to invoke the Courtesy Sniff rule.
>> If somebody wants confirmation that a substance is, in fact,
>>disgusting, you are obliged to take a whiff. I tell them that I trust
>>their judgement and that if they think it's nasty, it probably is, and
>>anyway parents are exempt from the Courtesy Sniff rule, due to having
>>had to change dirty diapers.

> Tee.
>
> My friend had this story:
>
> His dad had some cheese and he tasted it and said it tasted like a
> sweaty horse. So my friend and his mom tried it and they couldn't
> quite dispute it.
>
> But my friend's then-girlfriend declined. She apparently thought that
> it tasting like a sweaty horse was a good reason to NOT try it.
>
> Laurie

When I was a little girl (probably only 8 or 9 years old at the time), I was
invited to stay overnight with one of my relatives. I have never been able
to eat that thick area of fat that has not been removed from meat. Dorothy
served meat of some sort that had a lot of "soft" fat attached (not well
cooked and certainly not crispy). She became angry when I cut the fat off
and only ate the meat. She said it was "good for me" and I was being
"wasteful," and she refused to let me leave the table until I ate it. Every
time I tried, I would start to gag. I sat there a very long time, and the
only way I finally got it down was to cover a bite with a huge glob of
mashed potatoes and then swallow the whole bite without chewing. And that
was supposed to be "good" for me? After all these years, I still remember
that in great detail -- and I was never willing to stay at their house
again, and my parents did not try to convince me otherwise.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Laxettes.

My parents, for whatever god-forsaken reason totally unknown to anyone
else, used to feed us laxatives once a week to make us 'regular'.

Maybe they should have just fed us fresh cooked vegetables, and fruit,
instead of that boiled to death shit they used to dish up :-(

Anyways....... to this day, I rarely eat chocolate because of that.

I used to puke my guts up everytime. It *is* truly evil.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas said...

> Laxettes.
>

> My parents, for whatever god-forsaken reason totally unknown to anyone
> else, used to feed us laxatives once a week to make us 'regular'.

Probably chicken livers and crackers. A holiday appetizer.

Never did a caloric intake at my young age, but it had to be way up there!

I can almost taste it! (

Andy
Open for invitations
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 18 Jul 2008 05:52:38a, PeterLucas told us...

> Laxettes.
>

> My parents, for whatever god-forsaken reason totally unknown to anyone
> else, used to feed us laxatives once a week to make us 'regular'.
>

> Maybe they should have just fed us fresh cooked vegetables, and fruit,
> instead of that boiled to death shit they used to dish up :-(
>

> Anyways....... to this day, I rarely eat chocolate because of that.
>

> I used to puke my guts up everytime. It *is* truly evil.

Purging was fairly common when I was growing up. In my family it was
monthly, and I hated it as much as you did. There were far more evil
products on the market (at least in the US) to do the evil deed than
Laxettes. The worst was probably a syrup called Black Draught. There was
also Dr. Caldwell's Syrup of Pepsin, Fletcher's Castoria (syrup), Feenamint
(gum), Ex-Lax (the equivalent to your Laxettes), etc. There were others as
well. Oh, the one I hated the most was Bile Salts Tablets. They gave you
cramps so bad that you thought you had appendicitis.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Purging was fairly common when I was growing up. In my family it was
> monthly, and I hated it as much as you did. There were far more evil
> products on the market (at least in the US) to do the evil deed than
> Laxettes. The worst was probably a syrup called Black Draught. There was
> also Dr. Caldwell's Syrup of Pepsin, Fletcher's Castoria (syrup), Feenamint
> (gum), Ex-Lax (the equivalent to your Laxettes), etc. There were others as
> well. Oh, the one I hated the most was Bile Salts Tablets. They gave you
> cramps so bad that you thought you had appendicitis.

Egad. I think we are the same age, and thank goodness I was never
subjected to any such practice. Nor was I aware of them. Now I
do wonder whether the chocolate-flavored laxatives at my friend's
house were for more than occasional use. Ugh...

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 18 Jul 2008 08:16:45a, Jean B. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Purging was fairly common when I was growing up. In my family it was
>> monthly, and I hated it as much as you did. There were far more evil
>> products on the market (at least in the US) to do the evil deed than
>> Laxettes. The worst was probably a syrup called Black Draught. There
>> was also Dr. Caldwell's Syrup of Pepsin, Fletcher's Castoria (syrup),
>> Feenamint (gum), Ex-Lax (the equivalent to your Laxettes), etc. There
>> were others as well. Oh, the one I hated the most was Bile Salts
>> Tablets. They gave you cramps so bad that you thought you had
>> appendicitis.
>>

> Egad. I think we are the same age, and thank goodness I was never
> subjected to any such practice. Nor was I aware of them. Now I
> do wonder whether the chocolate-flavored laxatives at my friend's
> house were for more than occasional use. Ugh...

You were lucky! I also remember my dad taking a weekly dose of Sal
Hipatica (sp), which at least was a bit more palitable to get down, but the
results were the same.

Years ago I worked with a woman who once admitted to drinking a bottle of
Fleet's Phospho Soda on a weekly basis. Now *that* was bombastic!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Now then, was that funny or WHAT?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"PeterLucas" > wrote in message
.25...
> Laxettes.
>

> My parents, for whatever god-forsaken reason totally unknown to anyone
> else, used to feed us laxatives once a week to make us 'regular'.
>

> Maybe they should have just fed us fresh cooked vegetables, and fruit,
> instead of that boiled to death shit they used to dish up :-(
>

> Anyways....... to this day, I rarely eat chocolate because of that.
>

> I used to puke my guts up everytime. It *is* truly evil.
>

> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia

That practice was apparently much more common than I realized. I have a
friend who described that same procedure, except that her parents used
something far more potent. She became addicted to it, and as an adult
claimed that she *had* to use a laxative several times a week. She refused
to see a doctor about it, but I was really concerned. She no longer lives
in the area, so I don't know how she is now. I understand there were even
families where children were subjected to *enemas* on a regular basis.
Terrible!

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> You were lucky! I also remember my dad taking a weekly dose of Sal
> Hipatica (sp), which at least was a bit more palitable to get down, but the
> results were the same.
>
> Years ago I worked with a woman who once admitted to drinking a bottle of
> Fleet's Phospho Soda on a weekly basis. Now *that* was bombastic!

OMG! Having used that ere colonoscopies, I have to say that
sounds masochistic.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
5.247:

> On Fri 18 Jul 2008 05:52:38a, PeterLucas told us...
>
>> Laxettes.
>>

>> My parents, for whatever god-forsaken reason totally unknown to
>> anyone else, used to feed us laxatives once a week to make us
>> 'regular'.
>>

>> Maybe they should have just fed us fresh cooked vegetables, and
>> fruit, instead of that boiled to death shit they used to dish up :-(
>>

>> Anyways....... to this day, I rarely eat chocolate because of that.
>>

>> I used to puke my guts up everytime. It *is* truly evil.

> Purging was fairly common when I was growing up. In my family it was
> monthly, and I hated it as much as you did. There were far more evil
> products on the market (at least in the US) to do the evil deed than
> Laxettes. The worst was probably a syrup called Black Draught. There
> was also Dr. Caldwell's Syrup of Pepsin, Fletcher's Castoria (syrup),
> Feenamint (gum), Ex-Lax (the equivalent to your Laxettes), etc. There
> were others as well. Oh, the one I hated the most was Bile Salts
> Tablets. They gave you cramps so bad that you thought you had
> appendicitis.

**** me........... it's almost like the Spanish Inquisition :-(

What was it with that generation??

The fact that they couldn't cook for shit?

I *have* taken a laxative since then..... Senecal.

Only twice since I was old enough, and earning my money enough, to tell
my parents to stick their laxatives up their arse.

Both times were after major surgery. Seems the GA and the shit they were
pumping into me after the op (for pain management) clogged me up. Two
little (tasteless) pills got me back on the road to regularity :-)

And I've never needed anything otherwise.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

If we are not meant to eat animals,
why are they made of meat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 18 Jul 2008 09:44:39a, Jean B. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> You were lucky! I also remember my dad taking a weekly dose of Sal
>> Hipatica (sp), which at least was a bit more palitable to get down, but
>> the results were the same.
>>
>> Years ago I worked with a woman who once admitted to drinking a bottle
>> of Fleet's Phospho Soda on a weekly basis. Now *that* was bombastic!
>>

> OMG! Having used that ere colonoscopies, I have to say that
> sounds masochistic.

She claimed that she rarely had more than one "normal" BM per week, and
that she absolutely had to do this every weekend.

I agree, Jean, having also used that in preparation for a colonoscopy. I
think I'm due to have one again next year, and I'm not looking forward to
the Fleet's. The colonoscopy itself was a breeze.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
''E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on!'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 18 Jul 2008 09:56:23a, PeterLucas told us...

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> 5.247:
>
>> On Fri 18 Jul 2008 05:52:38a, PeterLucas told us...
>>
>>> Laxettes.
>>>

>>> My parents, for whatever god-forsaken reason totally unknown to
>>> anyone else, used to feed us laxatives once a week to make us
>>> 'regular'.
>>>

>>> Maybe they should have just fed us fresh cooked vegetables, and
>>> fruit, instead of that boiled to death shit they used to dish up :-(
>>>

>>> Anyways....... to this day, I rarely eat chocolate because of that.
>>>

>>> I used to puke my guts up everytime. It *is* truly evil.

>> Purging was fairly common when I was growing up. In my family it was
>> monthly, and I hated it as much as you did. There were far more evil
>> products on the market (at least in the US) to do the evil deed than
>> Laxettes. The worst was probably a syrup called Black Draught. There
>> was also Dr. Caldwell's Syrup of Pepsin, Fletcher's Castoria (syrup),
>> Feenamint (gum), Ex-Lax (the equivalent to your Laxettes), etc. There
>> were others as well. Oh, the one I hated the most was Bile Salts
>> Tablets. They gave you cramps so bad that you thought you had
>> appendicitis.
>>

> **** me........... it's almost like the Spanish Inquisition :-(
>

> What was it with that generation??

I think this has a long history that lasted through the 1950s-1960s.
Probably puritanical.

> The fact that they couldn't cook for shit?
>
> I *have* taken a laxative since then..... Senecal.
>
> Only twice since I was old enough, and earning my money enough, to tell
> my parents to stick their laxatives up their arse.
>
> Both times were after major surgery. Seems the GA and the shit they were
> pumping into me after the op (for pain management) clogged me up. Two
> little (tasteless) pills got me back on the road to regularity :-)
>
> And I've never needed anything otherwise.

I have only had problems as an adult as a result of narcotic painkillers
after dental work and back problems.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
The Illuminati do not exist.
Really...We're not kidding.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

OMG Wayne, I had forgotten about Sal Hepitica.....my parents took it
too, and my grandmother visited us 3 months of the year and had her MO
(Mineral Oil). Do you remember Carter's Little Liver Pills?

Mother would line us 3 girls up and give us Castoria if we were cranky
and fighting with each other. In their defense, I don't think it was
punishment so much as well being. You have to remember that we didn't
have all the fresh vegetables we have today......even if the kids would
eat them. I can remember going to my grandmother's farm in the summer
and going a full week without a BM because she had an outdoor toilet!

My worst food would have to be liver(beef and chicken) and a chicken
gizzard I picked up by mistake, and my father made me eat it. Also
hominy.

Libby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One of my oldest food memories is eating a Passover
dinner at the neighbors across the street. I was young
enough that I had no idea that other people reacted
differently to foods than I did. I was also young enough
to have no idea I had a high tolerance to specific foods.
I must have been about 4.

One of the items on my plate was a bit of ground up
pickled horseradish that was purple from having been
pickled with beets. I listened to the story of eating
bitter herbs in memory of the Passover history. Then
I took a teaspoon of the purple stuff and ate it. I said it
was pretty hot but that I liked it and could I have more
please. My tolerance for horseradish has fallen a little
over the years but I still like to nibble a thin slice of
horseradish cut from a fresh root so it's still a very high
tolerance compared to average. Unlike the hot from
hot peppers I've never noticed a developed tolerance
to the hot of horseradish/wasabi/mustard just what
tolerance I've had since a child.

My Dad watched my reaction and concluded it was
pickled beets with a very small amount of horseradish
in it. He likes beets and horseradish so he knew he'd
like it. He'd watched me eat it so he was not concerned
about it. He took a tablespoon and ate it. It was like
his head was going to explode. The stuff was almost
all horseradish and barely enough beets to make the
color change, about the strength of straight pickled
horseradish from the jar. Dad turned bright red and
gagged for a bit. He stared at me. When he finally
settled down he asked me if it was the something
different from what I ate. Nope, I had another
teaspoon of it.

It's so old a memory it seems wierd to replay the
video of it in my memory. Everything around me is so
big and Dad is so young. If I was 4 it was 46 years ago
he he sure was young then. It's almost all of my life
since then and well over half of his life ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Probably chicken livers and crackers. A holiday appetizer.

A surfer with a mean streak.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark said...

> Andy wrote:
>
>> Probably chicken livers and crackers. A holiday appetizer.

> A surfer with a mean streak.

Ehh!

Andy
Landbound mostly
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Blinky the Shark said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>
>>> Probably chicken livers and crackers. A holiday appetizer.

>> A surfer with a mean streak.

> Ehh!
>
> Andy
> Landbound mostly

I could have a talk with my land shark brethren and cistern...

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 18 Jul 2008 02:13:11p, Fred/Libby Barclay told us...

> OMG Wayne, I had forgotten about Sal Hepitica.....my parents took it
> too, and my grandmother visited us 3 months of the year and had her MO
> (Mineral Oil). Do you remember Carter's Little Liver Pills?

Oh yes, I do remember Carter's Little Liver Pills, but we never had them in
our home. Usually my mother would give me Dr. Caldwell's Syrup of Pepsin.
My grandmother would give me Black Draught. Later, it would be bile salts
tablets. They were all horrible.

> Mother would line us 3 girls up and give us Castoria if we were cranky
> and fighting with each other. In their defense, I don't think it was
> punishment so much as well being. You have to remember that we didn't
> have all the fresh vegetables we have today......even if the kids would
> eat them. I can remember going to my grandmother's farm in the summer
> and going a full week without a BM because she had an outdoor toilet!

It was all well-intentioned. I think it was an old tradition, probably
dating back to near the turn of the century. Oh, I would *not* use the
outhouse at my dad's parents. I was a "city boy". :-)

> My worst food would have to be liver(beef and chicken) and a chicken
> gizzard I picked up by mistake, and my father made me eat it. Also
> hominy.

I would eat calve's liver if my mother fried it with onions and bacon, or
chicken livers if they were made with the fried chicken. Neither were
favorites. Never the gizzard!!! They are all favorites now. :-) It
depends a lot on how hominy is prepared as to whether I like it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/18(XVIII)/08(MMVIII)
Cancer research is a growth industry.
--George Carlin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Fri 18 Jul 2008 08:16:45a, Jean B. told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> Purging was fairly common when I was growing up. In my family it was
>>> monthly, and I hated it as much as you did. There were far more evil
>>> products on the market (at least in the US) to do the evil deed than
>>> Laxettes. The worst was probably a syrup called Black Draught. There
>>> was also Dr. Caldwell's Syrup of Pepsin, Fletcher's Castoria (syrup),
>>> Feenamint (gum), Ex-Lax (the equivalent to your Laxettes), etc. There
>>> were others as well. Oh, the one I hated the most was Bile Salts
>>> Tablets. They gave you cramps so bad that you thought you had
>>> appendicitis.
>>>

>> Egad. I think we are the same age, and thank goodness I was never
>> subjected to any such practice. Nor was I aware of them. Now I
>> do wonder whether the chocolate-flavored laxatives at my friend's
>> house were for more than occasional use. Ugh...
>>

> You were lucky! I also remember my dad taking a weekly dose of Sal
> Hipatica (sp), which at least was a bit more palitable to get down, but
> the
> results were the same.
>
> Years ago I worked with a woman who once admitted to drinking a bottle of
> Fleet's Phospho Soda on a weekly basis. Now *that* was bombastic!
>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Now there's a candidate for a 72 hour HOLD!

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 19 Jul 2008 09:28:21a, Dimitri told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.247...

>>> Egad. I think we are the same age, and thank goodness I was never
>>> subjected to any such practice. Nor was I aware of them. Now I
>>> do wonder whether the chocolate-flavored laxatives at my friend's
>>> house were for more than occasional use. Ugh...
>>>

>> You were lucky! I also remember my dad taking a weekly dose of Sal
>> Hipatica (sp), which at least was a bit more palitable to get down, but
>> the results were the same.
>>
>> Years ago I worked with a woman who once admitted to drinking a bottle

of
>> Fleet's Phospho Soda on a weekly basis. Now *that* was bombastic!
>>

>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Now there's a candidate for a 72 hour HOLD!

If I drank it, I don't think I could hold it that long! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> If I drank it, I don't think I could hold it that long! :-)

How about Cod Liver Oil. I had to choke that down a few times.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 19 Jul 2008 04:03:15p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...

> In article >,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> If I drank it, I don't think I could hold it that long! :-)

> How about Cod Liver Oil. I had to choke that down a few times.
>
> leo

Thank God that was never in our house! Although I do remember my aunt
giving it to my cousins.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/19(XIX)/08(MMVIII)
Things could be worse. Suppose your
errors were counted and recorded every
day, like those of a baseball player.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Fri 18 Jul 2008 09:44:39a, Jean B. told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> You were lucky! I also remember my dad taking a weekly dose of Sal
>>> Hipatica (sp), which at least was a bit more palitable to get down, but
>>> the results were the same.
>>>
>>> Years ago I worked with a woman who once admitted to drinking a bottle
>>> of Fleet's Phospho Soda on a weekly basis. Now *that* was bombastic!
>>>

>> OMG! Having used that ere colonoscopies, I have to say that
>> sounds masochistic.
>>

> She claimed that she rarely had more than one "normal" BM per week, and
> that she absolutely had to do this every weekend.
>
> I agree, Jean, having also used that in preparation for a colonoscopy. I
> think I'm due to have one again next year, and I'm not looking forward to
> the Fleet's. The colonoscopy itself was a breeze.

Acking on all fronts... Er... I am supposed to schedule one... I
agree re the prep vs the actual event.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 19 Jul 2008 04:03:15p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...
>
>> In article >,
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>>
>>> If I drank it, I don't think I could hold it that long! :-)

>> How about Cod Liver Oil. I had to choke that down a few times.
>>
>> leo
>>

> Thank God that was never in our house! Although I do remember my aunt
> giving it to my cousins.

I have a Norwegian friend who swears by it. Actually, it is quite
good for you (assuming the impurities have been removed) and one
CAN get it in capsules....

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 20 Jul 2008 08:06:19a, Jean B. told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sat 19 Jul 2008 04:03:15p, Leonard Blaisdell told us...

>>> How about Cod Liver Oil. I had to choke that down a few times.
>>>
>>> leo
>>>

>> Thank God that was never in our house! Although I do remember my aunt
>> giving it to my cousins.
>>

> I have a Norwegian friend who swears by it. Actually, it is quite
> good for you (assuming the impurities have been removed) and one
> CAN get it in capsules....

I think I tried one of the capsules once. I could still taste it, and it
kept "repeating". Horrible taste!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 07(VII)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)

The Evil Cantaloupe General Cooking 46 05-07-2006 11:56 PM
See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Test No Evil Mark Thorson General Cooking 2 10-05-2006 05:49 AM
Zocor - evil, evil, evil Dan Abel General Cooking 81 29-10-2005 12:13 AM
Chocolate is EVIL, it's the food of HELL ! Brian Raab Chocolate 7 14-10-2004 03:40 PM