Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking in private clubs better?

Just wondering if anyone here is a member of any private city- or
country-clubs and whether the cooking at their club is better, worse, or the
same as their local upscale 'public' restaurants?

Wonder where, on the quality continuum, the average private club stands
regarding dining quality..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Slippy" > wrote in message
> Just wondering if anyone here is a member of any private city- or
> country-clubs and whether the cooking at their club is better, worse, or
> the
> same as their local upscale 'public' restaurants?
>
> Wonder where, on the quality continuum, the average private club stands
> regarding dining quality..

Not possible to give a definitive answer as they can vary considerably. The
few that I've been to have been no better than any of the local restaurants
of comparable style. One of the top restaurants in our area is owned by the
chef that used to run the restaurant at a local country club. When he was
there is was above average.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Slippy wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone here is a member of any private city- or
> country-clubs and whether the cooking at their club is better, worse, or the
> same as their local upscale 'public' restaurants?
>
> Wonder where, on the quality continuum, the average private club stands
> regarding dining quality..

I don't belong to any, but my father in law belonged to a couple of very
exclusive clubs and often took us for dinners and luncheons. They were quite
impressive. They tended to be more along the line of classic fare than the new
fangled fusion thing that seems to be the rage. The big difference was in the
service. Drinks were served in lush lounges and the waiter took meal orders
there. When dinner was ready they took you to your table in the dining room.
Food was usually served by a troop of waiters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Slippy" > wrote in message
> Just wondering if anyone here is a member of any private city- or
> country-clubs and whether the cooking at their club is better, worse, or
> the
> same as their local upscale 'public' restaurants?
>
> Wonder where, on the quality continuum, the average private club stands
> regarding dining quality..

I've only been to a few (being invited) over the years, but the best food
ever was at a/the Hawaiian Country Club. Really good.
Everyother time was a disappointment.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Slippy wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone here is a member of any private city- or
> country-clubs and whether the cooking at their club is better, worse, or the
> same as their local upscale 'public' restaurants?
>
> Wonder where, on the quality continuum, the average private club stands
> regarding dining quality..

Frequently, no. Public restaurants live and die by their food mostly,
while private clubs usually have other reasons for existing so their
food isn't subject to as much scrutiny.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Slippy > wrote:

>Just wondering if anyone here is a member of any private city- or
>country-clubs and whether the cooking at their club is better, worse, or the
>same as their local upscale 'public' restaurants?

>Wonder where, on the quality continuum, the average private club stands
>regarding dining quality..

For a number of years I was a member of the Berkeley City Club.
The food had some of the aspects of that of a nice restaurant,
and many of the aspects of an institutional kitchen. Generally
speaking the management of these clubs do not have the latitude
and budgets to hire, fire, or innovate the way a good restuarant
might. I suspect that, like restaurants of decades past, they
got absolutely all of their ingredients from mainline restaurant
distributors. They were not up to date, but they were not
terrible either.

What clubs often have is a very nice setting, and freedom from
obnoxious walk-in noisy customers. You get a civilized clientele.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 3, 4:31*pm, "Slippy" > wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone here is a member of any private city- or
> country-clubs and whether the cooking at their club is better, worse, or the
> same as their local upscale 'public' restaurants?
>
> Wonder where, on the quality continuum, the average private club stands
> regarding dining quality..

I belong to a business club in a suburb full of nice restaurants. It
is mostly frequented at lunch and the food is comparable to the good
restaurants in the area. The bonus is that the food and wine is
considerably cheaper.

I was invited to have lunch in one of the most exclusive city clubs in
Western Australia, it was the worst dining out experience ever. Set
menu, canned soup, dried out roast beef, veges that had been boiled to
mush, watery gravy and none of it hot enough. The place was full of
businessmen and politicians! Go figure.

JB
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 2, 11:31*pm, "Slippy" > wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone here is a member of any private city- or
> country-clubs and whether the cooking at their club is better, worse, or the
> same as their local upscale 'public' restaurants?
>
> Wonder where, on the quality continuum, the average private club stands
> regarding dining quality..

Through business and from the generosity of friends I've eaten at
private clubs in Boston, New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles. On
average, I'd rate the food B+ or A-, the service A. At country clubs/
golf clubs I'd rate both food and service at B.

But those are averages. Clubs exist to offer the membership what it
wants. If that's social functions, or business contacts, or tennis
courts or a private beach or a big name designer for the golf course,
or great food, or obsequious service -- wherever the club membership
wants its resources spent, that's what they'll get. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 2, 11:31*pm, "Slippy" > wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone here is a member of any private city- or
> country-clubs and whether the cooking at their club is better, worse, or the
> same as their local upscale 'public' restaurants?
>
> Wonder where, on the quality continuum, the average private club stands
> regarding dining quality..

I was pastry chef in a private club in Seattle called The Ruins, and
for the most part, if you were a member, whatever you wanted was
yours...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I was pastry chef in a private club in Seattle called The Ruins, and
> for the most part, if you were a member, whatever you wanted was
> yours...

You mean like sexual favors? Or chocolate croissants with extra chocolate?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 02:14:52 -0800, "Slippy" > wrote:

>> I was pastry chef in a private club in Seattle called The Ruins, and
>> for the most part, if you were a member, whatever you wanted was
>> yours...

>You mean like sexual favors? Or chocolate croissants with extra chocolate?

why not both at the same time?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb > wrote:

> On Feb 2, 11:31 pm, "Slippy" > wrote:
> > Just wondering if anyone here is a member of any private city- or
> > country-clubs and whether the cooking at their club is better, worse, or the
> > same as their local upscale 'public' restaurants?
> >
> > Wonder where, on the quality continuum, the average private club stands
> > regarding dining quality..

> I was pastry chef in a private club in Seattle called The Ruins, and
> for the most part, if you were a member, whatever you wanted was
> yours...

The problem I've found with working in private clubs is everyone that
walks in the door is your boss. Makes things kinda tense at times.

Fritz
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Feb 2, 11:31 pm, "Slippy" > wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone here is a member of any private city- or
> country-clubs and whether the cooking at their club is better, worse, or
> the
> same as their local upscale 'public' restaurants?
>
> Wonder where, on the quality continuum, the average private club stands
> regarding dining quality..

I was pastry chef in a private club in Seattle called The Ruins, and
for the most part, if you were a member, whatever you wanted was
yours...

mon dieu -- what credentials!

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 04 Feb 2008 01:55:20p, Dee.Dee told us...

> "merryb" > wrote in message
> On Feb 2, 11:31 pm, "Slippy" > wrote:
>> Just wondering if anyone here is a member of any private city- or
>> country-clubs and whether the cooking at their club is better, worse, or
>> the same as their local upscale 'public' restaurants?
>>
>> Wonder where, on the quality continuum, the average private club stands
>> regarding dining quality..

> I was pastry chef in a private club in Seattle called The Ruins, and
> for the most part, if you were a member, whatever you wanted was
> yours...
>

> mon dieu -- what credentials!
>
> Dee Dee

Why, Dee Dee, you're beginning to reveal your hidden talents!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 02(II)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
MITCHELL! Even his name says, 'Uh, is
that a beer?'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> On Mon 04 Feb 2008 01:55:20p, Dee.Dee told us...
>

>> "merryb" > wrote in message
>> On Feb 2, 11:31 pm, "Slippy" > wrote:
>>> Just wondering if anyone here is a member of any private city- or
>>> country-clubs and whether the cooking at their club is better, worse, or
>>> the same as their local upscale 'public' restaurants?
>>>
>>> Wonder where, on the quality continuum, the average private club stands
>>> regarding dining quality..

>> I was pastry chef in a private club in Seattle called The Ruins, and
>> for the most part, if you were a member, whatever you wanted was
>> yours...
>>

>> mon dieu -- what credentials!
>>
>> Dee Dee
>>

> Why, Dee Dee, you're beginning to reveal your hidden talents!
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

You might be right -- I just bought another book by Malgieri "A Baker's
Tour."
But I've had no chance to look at it yet. Nor have I got to the avocado ice
cream recipe.
Other things going on here - busy, busy, busy.

But I think of your stories of your boy scout days and wonder at the turn
you took. I think we don't have enough time to pursue all that excites us.
Darn! :-)))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 04 Feb 2008 03:35:28p, Dee.Dee told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>> On Mon 04 Feb 2008 01:55:20p, Dee.Dee told us...
>>

>>> "merryb" > wrote in message
>>> .

>>> I was pastry chef in a private club in Seattle called The Ruins, and
>>> for the most part, if you were a member, whatever you wanted was
>>> yours...
>>>

>>> mon dieu -- what credentials!
>>>
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>> Why, Dee Dee, you're beginning to reveal your hidden talents!
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>

> You might be right -- I just bought another book by Malgieri "A Baker's
> Tour."
> But I've had no chance to look at it yet. Nor have I got to the avocado
> ice cream recipe.
> Other things going on here - busy, busy, busy.
>
> But I think of your stories of your boy scout days and wonder at the
> turn you took. I think we don't have enough time to pursue all that
> excites us. Darn! :-)))
>
> Dee Dee

It seems no matter how much time there is, there is never enough. :-(

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 02(II)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
'MEOW'. . . SPLAT . . . 'RUFF' . . .
SPLAT . . . (Raining cats & dogs)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 4, 2:35*pm, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>
> 3.184...
>

> > On Mon 04 Feb 2008 01:55:20p, Dee.Dee told us...

> >> I was pastry chef in a private club in Seattle called The Ruins, and
> >> for the most part, if you were a member, whatever you wanted was
> >> yours...

> >> mon dieu -- what credentials!

> >> Dee Dee

> > Why, Dee Dee, you're beginning to reveal your hidden talents!

> > --
> > * * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright

> You might be right -- I just bought another book by Malgieri "A Baker's
> Tour."
> But I've had no chance to look at it yet. *Nor have I got to the avocado ice
> cream recipe.
> Other things going on here - busy, busy, busy.
>
> But I think of your stories of your boy scout days and wonder at the turn
> you took. *I think we don't have enough time to pursue all that excites us.
> Darn! *:-)))
>
> Dee Dee- Hide quoted text -

I have that book, along with a couple of his other ones- it's pretty
good. Great Italian Baking?? is one he signed for me. Coincidentially,
I was then working at The Ruins, and he was a friend of the owner, and
came in to have dinner. I knew he was coming in, and asked the owner
if he would ask him to sign it, which he did!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Feb 4, 2:35 pm, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>
> 3.184...
>

> > On Mon 04 Feb 2008 01:55:20p, Dee.Dee told us...

> >> I was pastry chef in a private club in Seattle called The Ruins, and
> >> for the most part, if you were a member, whatever you wanted was
> >> yours...

> >> mon dieu -- what credentials!

> >> Dee Dee

> > Why, Dee Dee, you're beginning to reveal your hidden talents!

> > --
> > Wayne Boatwright

> You might be right -- I just bought another book by Malgieri "A Baker's
> Tour."
> But I've had no chance to look at it yet. Nor have I got to the avocado
> ice
> cream recipe.
> Other things going on here - busy, busy, busy.
>
> But I think of your stories of your boy scout days and wonder at the turn
> you took. I think we don't have enough time to pursue all that excites us.
> Darn! :-)))
>
> Dee Dee- Hide quoted text -

I have that book, along with a couple of his other ones- it's pretty
good. Great Italian Baking?? is one he signed for me. Coincidentially,
I was then working at The Ruins, and he was a friend of the owner, and
came in to have dinner. I knew he was coming in, and asked the owner
if he would ask him to sign it, which he did!

If it is "Great Italian Desserts," it's for sale on Amazon - lowest price
$73.
(1990)
I would hope he gets a fair share out of that. But I doubt it (duh!)

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 4, 5:12*pm, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> On Feb 4, 2:35 pm, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
>

> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> 73.184...

> > > On Mon 04 Feb 2008 01:55:20p, Dee.Dee told us...

> > > Why, Dee Dee, you're beginning to reveal your hidden talents!

> > > --
> > > Wayne Boatwright

> > You might be right -- I just bought another book by Malgieri "A Baker's
> > Tour."
> > But I've had no chance to look at it yet. Nor have I got to the avocado
> > ice
> > cream recipe.
> > Other things going on here - busy, busy, busy.

> > But I think of your stories of your boy scout days and wonder at the turn
> > you took. I think we don't have enough time to pursue all that excites us.
> > Darn! :-)))

> > Dee Dee- Hide quoted text -

> I have that book, along with a couple of his other ones- it's pretty
> good. Great Italian Baking?? is one he signed for me. Coincidentially,
> I was then working at The Ruins, and he was a friend of the owner, and
> came in to have dinner. I knew he was coming in, and asked the owner
> if he would ask him to sign it, which he did!
>
> If it is "Great Italian Desserts," it's for sale on Amazon - lowest price
> $73.
> (1990)
> I would hope he gets a fair share out of that. *But I doubt it (duh!)
>
> Dee Dee- Hide quoted text -

You're right on the title...wonder why it's so high? It's a good book,
but...do you think the autograph adds value?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Feb 4, 5:12 pm, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> On Feb 4, 2:35 pm, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
>

> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> 73.184...

> > > On Mon 04 Feb 2008 01:55:20p, Dee.Dee told us...

> > > Why, Dee Dee, you're beginning to reveal your hidden talents!

> > > --
> > > Wayne Boatwright

> > You might be right -- I just bought another book by Malgieri "A Baker's
> > Tour."
> > But I've had no chance to look at it yet. Nor have I got to the avocado
> > ice
> > cream recipe.
> > Other things going on here - busy, busy, busy.

> > But I think of your stories of your boy scout days and wonder at the
> > turn
> > you took. I think we don't have enough time to pursue all that excites
> > us.
> > Darn! :-)))

> > Dee Dee- Hide quoted text -

> I have that book, along with a couple of his other ones- it's pretty
> good. Great Italian Baking?? is one he signed for me. Coincidentially,
> I was then working at The Ruins, and he was a friend of the owner, and
> came in to have dinner. I knew he was coming in, and asked the owner
> if he would ask him to sign it, which he did!
>
> If it is "Great Italian Desserts," it's for sale on Amazon - lowest price
> $73.
> (1990)
> I would hope he gets a fair share out of that. But I doubt it (duh!)
>
> Dee Dee- Hide quoted text -

You're right on the title...wonder why it's so high? It's a good book,
but...do you think the autograph adds value?

I've noticed a few books over the last few years, that are out of print
that cost that much.
I guess it's what the traffic will bear, but you will know where to go if
you need a few extra bucks :-))
Dee Dee

Wine clubs? SuperStarAD Wine 0 16-04-2006 06:31 AM
wine clubs [email protected] Wine 1 18-02-2006 12:17 AM
Wine Clubs? Robert Stevahn Wine 2 05-02-2004 04:32 PM
I've seen wine clubs, what about Sake clubs? Ken Overton Wine 2 13-12-2003 06:04 PM