Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Is this a knife sharpener?

Hi all,

I have a new Cuisinart knife set, but tossed the box before checking
on one crucial fact. I *think* my set includes a knife sharpener, but
never having used one like this, I want to be sure before I go tearing
up my knives. I also have no idea how to use said knife sharpener, so
please advise.

It looks like a long rounded skewer with a handle, with ridges running
all along the metal part. It has a rather dull point, so I don't think
it could possibly be anything else but please do let me know if you
know any other purpose for it.

How does one sharpen with this? Do I wet it first or use it dry?

Thanks in advance,
Jen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jennyanniedots wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a new Cuisinart knife set, but tossed the box before checking
> on one crucial fact. I *think* my set includes a knife sharpener, but
> never having used one like this, I want to be sure before I go tearing
> up my knives. I also have no idea how to use said knife sharpener, so
> please advise.
>
> It looks like a long rounded skewer with a handle, with ridges running
> all along the metal part. It has a rather dull point, so I don't think
> it could possibly be anything else but please do let me know if you
> know any other purpose for it.
>
> How does one sharpen with this? Do I wet it first or use it dry?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jen

It's a "steel". It *is* used to freshen up the edge of (non-serrated!)
knives. Not really a sharpener, exactly, but it will give you a better
edge when you need it. Just run your blades at a very shallow angle down
the length of the steel, as if shaving bark off a stick. A couple
strokes on each side is all it takes.
A die-hard knife person would use the steel as the final touch after
actual sharpening of a blade, I believe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jennyanniedots > wrote:
:It looks like a long rounded skewer with a handle, with ridges running
:all along the metal part. It has a rather dull point, so I don't think
:it could possibly be anything else but please do let me know if you
:know any other purpose for it.

:How does one sharpen with this? Do I wet it first or use it dry?

You don't. You put it in the trash can, and forget you ever saw it.
It's striated steel. The grooves cut serrations at the edge of the knife,
as it's realigning the edge. That gives it an edge that acts sharp --
it slices well, even though it won't cut -- briefly, and then quickly
dulls. It also very quickly eats up the knife. If you want a steel, get
a smooth one. That will actually work the way people say steels do, by
realigning the edge. If you do that regularly, you can extend the time
before the knife needs to be sharpened. Use a steel only on
straight-edged knives, not serrated.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> It's a "steel". It *is* used to freshen up the edge of (non-serrated!)
> knives. Not really a sharpener, exactly, but it will give you a better
> edge when you need it. Just run your blades at a very shallow angle down
> the length of the steel, as if shaving bark off a stick. A couple
> strokes on each side is all it takes.
> A die-hard knife person would use the steel as the final touch after
> actual sharpening of a blade, I believe...- Hide quoted text -

THANK YOU, Dave!! I am SO tired of people who incorrectly advise
others to use a steel to "sharpen" their knives. I worked in a knife
shop for several years, and learned early that a steel merely re-
aligns the "burr" on the edge of knife -- it DOES NOT SHARPEN. I
can't tell you how many people we had come into the store and raise
hell because their "sharpener" never worked. Sometimes, even after
we'd explain it to them, they still wouldn't get it.

Ah, well....

~Eri in TX
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:
:On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 03:45:30 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt wrote:

:> It's striated steel. The grooves cut serrations at the edge of the knife,
:> as it's realigning the edge. That gives it an edge that acts sharp --
:> it slices well, even though it won't cut -- briefly, and then quickly
:> dulls.

:I've steeled my knives every 8-10 uses and I have never had to
:have them sharpened.

You probably also have dull knives. Most people do, even those who
think they don't.

:> It also very quickly eats up the knife.

:Maybe you're using aluminum knives, but they don't eat up the
:knives at all. Certainly not more than than even the slightest
:sharpening.

They do. Examine the edge before and after use, under a 10 or 20
power scope. A striated steel leaves very distinct, and quite
visible grooves at the edge. That's metal that's been removed from
the edge. A smooth steel won't remove metal from the edge, it merely
realigns the very edge.

:> If you want a steel, get a smooth one. That will actually work the way
:> people say steels do, by realigning the edge.

:All my steels have very shallow, practically microscopic
:striations. If you run your fingers down the shaft it feels
:smooth, but if you rub your fingers around the circumference of
:the rod you can tell its striated as there's some friction to it.

:This is probably what the OP has as well. Is this the kind
:you're referring to, or one that is completely smooth?

Smooth means smooth. What you're describing is a striated steel.
They come in different grades of fineness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

:I really don't think you know what you're talking about, again.

You can think what you'd like. Your magical thinking, however,
doesn't change reality.

A couple random references:

http://web.archive.org/web/200412162.../artsteel.html

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=369532
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felines&Fuzzbutts" > wrote in message

>> It's a "steel". It *is* used to freshen up the edge of (non-serrated!)
>> knives. Not really a sharpener, exactly, but it will give you a better
>> edge when you need it. Just run your blades at a very shallow angle down
>> the length of the steel, as if shaving bark off a stick. A couple
>> strokes on each side is all it takes.
>> A die-hard knife person would use the steel as the final touch after
>> actual sharpening of a blade, I believe...- Hide quoted text -

> THANK YOU, Dave!! I am SO tired of people who incorrectly advise
> others to use a steel to "sharpen" their knives. I worked in a knife
> shop for several years, and learned early that a steel merely re-
> aligns the "burr" on the edge of knife -- it DOES NOT SHARPEN. I
> can't tell you how many people we had come into the store and raise
> hell because their "sharpener" never worked. Sometimes, even after
> we'd explain it to them, they still wouldn't get it.
>
> Ah, well....
>
> ~Eri in TX

Umm...you worked in a knife shop, and you knew those things about the
purpose of a steel, but you did not recognize a steel that was right in
front of your face?

Something about this scenario is wrong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> All my steels have very shallow, practically microscopic
> striations. *If you run your fingers down the shaft it feels
> smooth, but if you rub your fingers around the circumference of
> the rod you can tell its striated as there's some friction to it.
>
> This is probably what the OP has as well. *Is this the kind
> you're referring to, or one that is completely smooth?

The striations run the long way and are very visible, even with the
naked eye. I'm confused about the difference between sharpening the
blade and realigning the edge. Is that what causes the blade to dull -
misalignment? I'm envisioning the edge of the blade getting bent over
slightly in one direction or the other. Am I visualizing this
correctly? It sounds like I should buy a better knife sharpener.
Recommendations?

Thanks!
-Jen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> THANK YOU, Dave!! I am SO tired of people who incorrectly advise
>>> others to use a steel to "sharpen" their knives. I worked in a knife
>>> shop for several years, and learned early that a steel merely re-
>>> aligns the "burr" on the edge of knife -- it DOES NOT SHARPEN. I
>>> can't tell you how many people we had come into the store and raise
>>> hell because their "sharpener" never worked. Sometimes, even after
>>> we'd explain it to them, they still wouldn't get it.
>>>
>>> Ah, well....
>>>
>>> ~Eri in TX

>> Umm...you worked in a knife shop, and you knew those things about the
>> purpose of a steel, but you did not recognize a steel that was right in
>> front of your face?
>>
>> Something about this scenario is wrong.

> She's not the OP.

Oops. You're right. Never mind.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 31, 10:26 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 18:59:26 -0800 (PST), Jennyanniedots wrote:
> > Hi all,

> > I have a new Cuisinart knife set, but tossed the box before checking
> > on one crucial fact. I *think* my set includes a knife sharpener, but
> > never having used one like this, I want to be sure before I go tearing
> > up my knives. I also have no idea how to use said knife sharpener, so
> > please advise.

> > It looks like a long rounded skewer with a handle, with ridges running
> > all along the metal part. It has a rather dull point, so I don't think
> > it could possibly be anything else but please do let me know if you
> > know any other purpose for it.

> > How does one sharpen with this? Do I wet it first or use it dry?

> It's called a honing steel. Better let the web pages dfo the
> explaining, with diagrams:
>
> http://www.cutlery.com/honing.shtml

Person obvously was trained as a butcher !

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 1:38 pm, Jennyanniedots > wrote:
> > All my steels have very shallow, practically microscopic
> > striations. If you run your fingers down the shaft it feels
> > smooth, but if you rub your fingers around the circumference of
> > the rod you can tell its striated as there's some friction to it.

> > This is probably what the OP has as well. Is this the kind
> > you're referring to, or one that is completely smooth?

> The striations run the long way and are very visible, even with the
> naked eye. I'm confused about the difference between sharpening the
> blade and realigning the edge. Is that what causes the blade to dull -
> misalignment? I'm envisioning the edge of the blade getting bent over
> slightly in one direction or the other. Am I visualizing this
> correctly? It sounds like I should buy a better knife sharpener.
> Recommendations?
>
> Thanks!
> -Jen

Think of it more like the blade looks like a comb and the teeth get a
bit bent.
Sharp blade

Dull blade
/\||//||\\/\|

The steel realigns the teeth so it works again.

A smooth steel applied regularly makes a great difference in how well
the knife cuts. I don't think I've ever seen a striated one.

You probably should have a knife sharpener too but as Dave Bell points
out they are two different things. You probaly should use the steel
every time you use the knife. You probably need to sharpen the knife
once or twice a year at most.

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 06:45:34 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> I really don't think you know what you're talking about, again.

>> You can think what you'd like. Your magical thinking, however,
>> doesn't change reality.
>>
>> A couple random references:
>>
>> http://web.archive.org/web/200412162.../artsteel.html
>>
>> http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=369532

> You found a few obscure references. Want to see how many I can
> dig up for the striated steels?
>
> Like I said, my knives are in perfect condition after not having
> been sharpened for years by using the striated steels. And at
> the rate they're going, they'll last another 200+ years without
> grinding down of the blade.
>
> And yes, they're sharp. I do a lot of precise cutting and
> dissection of tough foods.

I agree with you mate!
I was shown how to sharpen meat knives by a butcher in the '50s and have
been sharpening them with stones and steels for fifty years.
I have been sharpening knives, shears, scissors, guillotines, planes, saws,
chisels (metal and wood), drill bits, punches and cutters (Side and edge)
for friends and professionally for work mates for fortyfive years.
OK if a steel has been used badly one has to use a stone but once the knack
is learned a steel can be used on a kitchen knife almost forever (In the
long term they tend to remove the centre). You will rarely see a stone in a
butchers shop!
Stones are usually reserved for higher temper steels than used in kitchen or
meat knives.

So Jenny - ignor him and learn to use your steel - try asking your local
butcher how to do it :-)

Slatts

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jennyanniedots > wrote:

:The striations run the long way and are very visible, even with the
:naked eye. I'm confused about the difference between sharpening the
:blade and realigning the edge. Is that what causes the blade to dull -
:misalignment? I'm envisioning the edge of the blade getting bent over
:slightly in one direction or the other. Am I visualizing this
:correctly? It sounds like I should buy a better knife sharpener.
:Recommendations?

A knife edge is formed by the intersection of the two two edges of the
knife. In general, the thinner edge, the sharper the knife. The
metal at and just behind the ege is very thin, and so it can be bent
over fairly easily. If you put the fingers of your hand together so
they form a fairly acute angle, you can visualize the edge. You can
visualize what happens when the edge gets misaligned by pushing your
fingers to one side. When the knife actually dulls, the metal at the
edge wears away, as well as be pushed out of the way. Yo ucan
visualize that by bending your first knuckles a bit so that finger
tips don't meet in good sharp angle, but in an edge that's a tad
blunt.

A misaligned edge can bent back into shape using a harder steel rod.
A dull edge needs to have metal ground away to reform the edge.
(Unless it's really dull, the amount removed is very small.) The steel
that came with your set is basically a file. It will, if it's hard
enough, realign the edge. It'll also remove metal from the edge.

--
sig 34
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Jennyanniedots wrote:
>
> > I have a new Cuisinart knife set, but tossed the box before checking
> > on one crucial fact. I *think* my set includes a knife sharpener, but
> > never having used one like this, I want to be sure before I go tearing
> > up my knives. I also have no idea how to use said knife sharpener, so
> > please advise.

> > It looks like a long rounded skewer with a handle, with ridges running
> > all along the metal part. It has a rather dull point, so I don't think
> > it could possibly be anything else but please do let me know if you
> > know any other purpose for it.

> > How does one sharpen with this? Do I wet it first or use it dry?

> It's called a honing steel. �Better let the web pages dfo the
> explaining, with diagrams:
>
> http://www.cutlery.com/honing.shtml

I don't care what they call it, it doesn't hone (hones remove metal by
abrading), instead it burnishes... regardless, the correct
nomenclature is "knife steel".

M-W

bur�nish
transitive verb

: to rub (a material) with a tool for compacting or smoothing or for
turning an edge
---

hone
transitive verb

1 : to sharpen or smooth with a whetstone
---
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 1:45�am, David Scheidt > wrote:
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> :I really don't think you know what you're talking about, again.
>
> You can think what you'd like. �Your magical thinking, however,
> doesn't change reality. �
>
> A couple random references:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/200412162...ndamerican.com...
>
> http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=369532

Those hard smooth burnishing rods are not used for kitchen knives,
those are used to polish the edge of blades made of very hard steels,
typically fancy schmancy knives made more for show than go. Kitchen
knives are made of relatively soft steels, the softer the steel the
coarser the striations one should choose. Carbon steel blades are
best treated with a steel with coarser striations applying very light
pressure and used frequently... you know you are steeling properly by
the sound emited, the blade will actually sing. There are numerous
types of knife steels, not only with different striations but with
cross sections of various configurations, butchers tend to use oval
knife steels... some steels have helical striations rather than
linear, these maintain more striation surface in contact with the
blade edge with each stroke.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/i...ath/823_132_98

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 10:38:20 -0800 (PST), Jennyanniedots
> wrote:
>
>The striations run the long way and are very visible, even with the
>naked eye. I'm confused about the difference between sharpening the
>blade and realigning the edge. Is that what causes the blade to dull -
>misalignment? I'm envisioning the edge of the blade getting bent over
>slightly in one direction or the other. Am I visualizing this
>correctly? It sounds like I should buy a better knife sharpener.
>Recommendations?
>
>Thanks!
>-Jen

while we're on almost on the subject, does anyone use the chef's
choice manual sharpener (the cheap one)?

<http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-9564802-6425735?ASIN=B0002I920O&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B0002I920 O|Chef's_Choice_Knife_Sharpener&ci_src=14110944&ci _sku=B0002I920O&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001>

i was almost all set to buy an accusharp, but now the hardware store
has this one instead.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 10:38:20 -0800 (PST), Jennyanniedots
> > wrote:
>>
>>The striations run the long way and are very visible, even with the
>>naked eye. I'm confused about the difference between sharpening the
>>blade and realigning the edge. Is that what causes the blade to dull -
>>misalignment? I'm envisioning the edge of the blade getting bent over
>>slightly in one direction or the other. Am I visualizing this
>>correctly? It sounds like I should buy a better knife sharpener.
>>Recommendations?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>-Jen
>>

> while we're on almost on the subject, does anyone use the chef's
> choice manual sharpener (the cheap one)?
>
> <http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-9564802-6425735?ASIN=B0002I920O&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B0002I920 O|Chef's_Choice_Knife_Sharpener&ci_src=14110944&ci _sku=B0002I920O&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001>
>
> i was almost all set to buy an accusharp, but now the hardware store
> has this one instead.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I hAVe tHt n it wrKS fine, eXcept four pairing knifeses becuz not enough of
the blade is able to pass through the channels.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 02 Feb 2008 10:16:17a, blake murphy told us...

> On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 10:38:20 -0800 (PST), Jennyanniedots
> > wrote:
>>
>>The striations run the long way and are very visible, even with the
>>naked eye. I'm confused about the difference between sharpening the
>>blade and realigning the edge. Is that what causes the blade to dull -
>>misalignment? I'm envisioning the edge of the blade getting bent over
>>slightly in one direction or the other. Am I visualizing this
>>correctly? It sounds like I should buy a better knife sharpener.
>>Recommendations?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>-Jen
>>

> while we're on almost on the subject, does anyone use the chef's
> choice manual sharpener (the cheap one)?
>
> <http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...SIN=B0002I920O
> &AFID=Froogle&LNM=B0002I920O|Chef's_Choice_Knife_S harpener&ci_src=1411094
> 4&ci_sku=B0002I920O&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001>
>
> i was almost all set to buy an accusharp, but now the hardware store
> has this one instead.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I have one of the Chef's Choice electric sharpeners and have been very
please with it. They make a quality product, and I imagine the manual
sharpener would do a good job.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 02(II)/02(II)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Groundhog Day
If Helen Keller had psychic ability,
would you say she had a fourth sense?
--George Carlin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Jennyanniedots > wrote:

> It looks like a long rounded skewer with a handle, with ridges running
> all along the metal part. It has a rather dull point, so I don't think
> it could possibly be anything else but please do let me know if you
> know any other purpose for it.
>
> How does one sharpen with this? Do I wet it first or use it dry?

Look up "sharpening steel."
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; check the second note and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 17:19:45 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .

>> while we're on almost on the subject, does anyone use the chef's
>> choice manual sharpener (the cheap one)?
>>
>> <http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-9564802-6425735?ASIN=B0002I920O&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B0002I920 O|Chef's_Choice_Knife_Sharpener&ci_src=14110944&ci _sku=B0002I920O&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001>
>>
>> i was almost all set to buy an accusharp, but now the hardware store
>> has this one instead.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake
>>

>I hAVe tHt n it wrKS fine, eXcept four pairing knifeses becuz not enough of
>the blade is able to pass through the channels.

joe, you're such a card.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 17:19:45 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
>>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> while we're on almost on the subject, does anyone use the chef's
>>> choice manual sharpener (the cheap one)?
>>>
>>> <http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-9564802-6425735?ASIN=B0002I920O&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B0002I920 O|Chef's_Choice_Knife_Sharpener&ci_src=14110944&ci _sku=B0002I920O&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001>
>>>
>>> i was almost all set to buy an accusharp, but now the hardware store
>>> has this one instead.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake
>>>

>>I hAVe tHt n it wrKS fine, eXcept four pairing knifeses becuz not enough
>>of
>>the blade is able to pass through the channels.
>>

> joe, you're such a card.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Buy the sharpener. It works. The instructions say "Don't apply downward
pressure on the knives". Obey that rule.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 17:19:45 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
>>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> while we're on almost on the subject, does anyone use the chef's
>>> choice manual sharpener (the cheap one)?
>>>
>>> <http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-9564802-6425735?ASIN=B0002I920O&AFID=Froogle&LNM=B0002I920 O|Chef's_Choice_Knife_Sharpener&ci_src=14110944&ci _sku=B0002I920O&ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001>
>>>
>>> i was almost all set to buy an accusharp, but now the hardware store
>>> has this one instead.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake
>>>

>>I hAVe tHt n it wrKS fine, eXcept four pairing knifeses becuz not enough
>>of
>>the blade is able to pass through the channels.
>>

> joe, you're such a card.

Or a pill, I keep forgetting which. Oh, wait a minute,
that's not it. It's a prick or a pill. Yeah, that's it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 1, 3:06 pm, David Scheidt > wrote:
> Jennyanniedots > wrote:
>
> :The striations run the long way and are very visible, even with the
> :naked eye. I'm confused about the difference between sharpening the
> :blade and realigning the edge. Is that what causes the blade to dull -
> :misalignment? I'm envisioning the edge of the blade getting bent over
> :slightly in one direction or the other. Am I visualizing this
> :correctly? It sounds like I should buy a better knife sharpener.
> :Recommendations?
>
> A knife edge is formed by the intersection of the two two edges of the
> knife. In general, the thinner edge, the sharper the knife. The
> metal at and just behind the ege is very thin, and so it can be bent
> over fairly easily. If you put the fingers of your hand together so
> they form a fairly acute angle, you can visualize the edge. You can
> visualize what happens when the edge gets misaligned by pushing your
> fingers to one side. When the knife actually dulls, the metal at the
> edge wears away, as well as be pushed out of the way. Yo ucan
> visualize that by bending your first knuckles a bit so that finger
> tips don't meet in good sharp angle, but in an edge that's a tad
> blunt.
>
> A misaligned edge can bent back into shape using a harder steel rod.
> A dull edge needs to have metal ground away to reform the edge.
> (Unless it's really dull, the amount removed is very small.) The steel
> that came with your set is basically a file. It will, if it's hard
> enough, realign the edge. It'll also remove metal from the edge.
>
> --
> sig 34

Thanks David
An excellent explaination
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 3, 12:20�pm, John Kane > wrote:
> On Feb 1, 3:06 pm, David Scheidt > wrote:
>

> > Jennyanniedots > wrote:

> > :The striations run the long way and are very visible, even with the
> > :naked eye. I'm confused about the difference between sharpening the
> > :blade and realigning the edge. Is that what causes the blade to dull -
> > :misalignment? I'm envisioning the edge of the blade getting bent over
> > :slightly in one direction or the other. Am I visualizing this
> > :correctly? It sounds like I should buy a better knife sharpener.
> > :Recommendations?

> > A knife edge is formed by the intersection of the two two edges of the
> > knife. �In general, the thinner edge, the sharper the knife. �The
> > metal at and just behind the ege is very thin, and so it can be bent
> > over fairly easily. �If you put the fingers of your hand together so
> > they form a fairly acute angle, you can visualize the edge. �You can
> > visualize what happens when the edge gets misaligned by pushing your
> > fingers to one side. �When the knife actually dulls, the metal at the
> > edge wears away, as well as be pushed out of the way. �Yo ucan
> > visualize that by bending your first knuckles a bit so that finger
> > tips don't meet in good sharp angle, but in an edge that's a tad
> > blunt.

> > A misaligned edge can bent back into shape using a harder steel rod.
> > A dull edge needs to have metal ground away to reform the edge.
> > (Unless it's really dull, the amount removed is very small.) The steel
> > that came with your set is basically a file. �It will, if it's hard
> > enough, realign the edge. �It'll also remove metal from the edge..

> > --
> > sig 34

> Thanks David
> An excellent explaination

Unfortunately all totally incorrect. A knife steel properly used
will not remove metal from a cutting edge, it'll remove the curled
over surplus metal from a dulled edge, which is precisely what it's
supposed to do... it's supposed to snag the burr and remove it, not
straighten it otherwise that burr will end up in your food... (burr
straightening is false information). You can actually do the same by
passing the knife edge over a chunk of beryllium copper, which is what
tool and diemakers use to remove the burrs from hardened tool steel
left from surface grinding. But I don't recommend making beryllium
come into contact with any cullinary equipment, or skin. If you are
pressing so hard that a knife steel is behaving like a file then you
are doing it wrong. When steeling correctly less pressure is applied
than would be by the weight of the knife... you should be actually
supporting part of the knife's weight with your hand.... to properly
steel a knife pressure should be applied as though tickling with a
feather.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 3, 2:38Â*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 14:48:30 -0800 (PST), Sheldon wrote:
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> >> It's called a honing steel. �Better let the web pages dfo the
> >> explaining, with diagrams:

> >>http://www.cutlery.com/honing.shtml

> > I don't care what they call it, it doesn't hone (hones remove metal by
> > abrading), instead it burnishes... regardless, the correct
> > nomenclature is "knife steel".

> NO, it's a honing steel, just like the web page I quoted calls it
> - and the 28,000 other web pages call it.

I don't care if 2,000,000,000,028 net pages call it a dick head (like
you), knife steels do NOT hone, they *burnish*... sqwertz, you are one
exceptionally ignorant mother****er... you are the lowest IQ rfc'er
ever and you can't cook a lick, nada, nothing, zero, you ****ING
FRAUD!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
On Feb 3, 2:38 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 14:48:30 -0800 (PST), Sheldon wrote:
> > Sqwertz wrote:

> >> It's called a honing steel. ?Better let the web pages dfo the
> >> explaining, with diagrams:

> >>http://www.cutlery.com/honing.shtml

> > I don't care what they call it, it doesn't hone (hones remove metal by
> > abrading), instead it burnishes... regardless, the correct
> > nomenclature is "knife steel".

> NO, it's a honing steel, just like the web page I quoted calls it
> - and the 28,000 other web pages call it.

I don't care if 2,000,000,000,028 net pages call it a dick head (like
you), knife steels do NOT hone, they *burnish*... sqwertz, you are one
exceptionally ignorant mother****er... you are the lowest IQ rfc'er
ever and you can't cook a lick, nada, nothing, zero, you ****ING
FRAUD!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 3, 9:20�pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 14:48:30 -0800 (PST), Sheldon wrote:
> > hone
> > transitive verb

> > 1 : to sharpen or smooth with a whetstone

> I like how you deleted the second meaning of the word 'hone'.
>
> Main Entry:
> � � hone
> Function:
> � � transitive verb
> Inflected Form(s):
> � � honed; hon�ing
> Date:
> � � 1798
>
> 1 : to sharpen or smooth with a whetstone
> 2 : to make more acute, intense, or effective : whet <helped her
> hone her comic timing
>
> Now Sheldon, you weren't trying to mislead us,

Dumb mother****er can't read, thinks a steel is a whetstone.. LAY OFF
MY CRYSTAL PALACE, YOU DUMB SHIT!

Sqwertz is the dumbest poster on all of usenet, and that is a fact.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 3, 8:54�pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> On Feb 3, 2:38 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> > > I don't care what they call it, it doesn't hone (hones remove metal by
> > > abrading), instead it burnishes... regardless, the correct
> > > nomenclature is "knife steel".

> > NO, it's a honing steel, just like the web page I quoted calls it
> > - and the 28,000 other web pages call it.

> I don't care if 2,000,000,000,028 net pages call it a dick head (like
> you), knife steels do NOT hone, they *burnish*... sqwertz, you are one
> exceptionally ignorant mother****er... you are the lowest IQ rfc'er
> ever and you can't cook a lick, nada, nothing, zero, you ****ING
> FRAUD!
> **************************
>
> I hope Shellie's had his shots, I think he got some of that foamy spittle on
> me.

If I ever gave you any of my foamy spittle it would be down your maw,
the space between your massive thighs hasn't seen light in thirty
years, you seven hundred pound tank of cellulite cyberlard... you gots
to be the ugliest bitch ever graced the rfc mugshots... oh, there
ain't enough pixels on the planet to fit your obeastie image. You
****ing cyberslug.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 18:43:16 -0800 (PST), Sheldon >
wrote:

>you gots
>to be the ugliest bitch ever graced the rfc mugshots

Give us the url. I'm not seeing it.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
On Feb 3, 8:54?pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> On Feb 3, 2:38 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> > > I don't care what they call it, it doesn't hone (hones remove metal by
> > > abrading), instead it burnishes... regardless, the correct
> > > nomenclature is "knife steel".

> > NO, it's a honing steel, just like the web page I quoted calls it
> > - and the 28,000 other web pages call it.

> I don't care if 2,000,000,000,028 net pages call it a dick head (like
> you), knife steels do NOT hone, they *burnish*... sqwertz, you are one
> exceptionally ignorant mother****er... you are the lowest IQ rfc'er
> ever and you can't cook a lick, nada, nothing, zero, you ****ING
> FRAUD!
> **************************
>
> I hope Shellie's had his shots, I think he got some of that foamy spittle
> on
> me.

If I ever gave you any of my foamy spittle it would be down your maw,
the space between your massive thighs hasn't seen light in thirty
years, you seven hundred pound tank of cellulite cyberlard... you gots
to be the ugliest bitch ever graced the rfc mugshots... oh, there
ain't enough pixels on the planet to fit your obeastie image. You
****ing cyberslug.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 18:43:16 -0800 (PST), Sheldon >
> wrote:
>
>>you gots
>>to be the ugliest bitch ever graced the rfc mugshots

> Give us the url. I'm not seeing it.

No. Really?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote
> --
> A 1907 New York, a promotion for Kellogg¢s Corn flakes gave
> away a free box of cereal on Wednesdays if you winked at
> your grocer. It was known as "Wink Day".

Hahaha! I wonder if it worked when the woman sent her husband
out for the groceries!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:51:10 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 17:19:45 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
>> > wrote:

>>>I hAVe tHt n it wrKS fine, eXcept four pairing knifeses becuz not enough
>>>of
>>>the blade is able to pass through the channels.
>>>

>> joe, you're such a card.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>Buy the sharpener. It works. The instructions say "Don't apply downward
>pressure on the knives". Obey that rule.

o.k., thanks.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 20:54:25 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"Sheldon" > wrote in message
>On Feb 3, 2:38 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

>> > I don't care what they call it, it doesn't hone (hones remove metal by
>> > abrading), instead it burnishes... regardless, the correct
>> > nomenclature is "knife steel".

>> NO, it's a honing steel, just like the web page I quoted calls it
>> - and the 28,000 other web pages call it.

>I don't care if 2,000,000,000,028 net pages call it a dick head (like
>you), knife steels do NOT hone, they *burnish*... sqwertz, you are one
>exceptionally ignorant mother****er... you are the lowest IQ rfc'er
>ever and you can't cook a lick, nada, nothing, zero, you ****ING
>FRAUD!
>**************************
>
>I hope Shellie's had his shots, I think he got some of that foamy spittle on
>me.

shots of crystal palace will do that.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 22:59:12 -0800, sf wrote:

>On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 18:43:16 -0800 (PST), Sheldon >
>wrote:
>
>>you gots
>>to be the ugliest bitch ever graced the rfc mugshots

>Give us the url. I'm not seeing it.

i think sheldon is hallucinating again.

your pal,
blake