Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soup Kitchen - 27JAN

Just an update. I was working nights on Sunday so Charlotte and I made the
dashi on Saturday and called to see if they could have one swing by to
pickup. Yes, they did. We expected to have to come by later this week to
get the big pot back but they dropped it off that afternoon.

Next Sunday I will be dayworking and thats also the date where normally I do
one of the 2 bigger contributions (Dashi is now weekly, costs me about 1.25$
to make 3 gallons). It turns out they are very happy to pickup if (?
Selma?) is comming as she drives right by my house to get there and health
permitting, is there every week. However, as she's easier to pickup on the
way to church, vice having to drive back to my place later, it's best if the
fixings are ready by 9:30 for 10:am services. She'll drop back off the
various containers on her way home.

This next week will be bread from the breadmaker as I can advance make it.
I'm making semi-fancy sweet types (raisin and date types with cinnimon etc).
4 loaves, 10 slices or so each. Cost estimate is 3.50$ for the 4.

I'm not going broke, just having a little fun and doing a little small bit
of good for the world. My origional plan of 6$ a month or so has changed to
about 10$ because they like the dashi soup.

I made the dashi soup with potatoes but it was more time consuming on my end
and not any better recieved so we are back to tofu. It takes about 15 mins
to do the tofu version of 3G, but takes well over an hour to do the potato
version.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Just an update. I was working nights on Sunday so Charlotte and I made
> the dashi on Saturday and called to see if they could have one swing by to
> pickup. Yes, they did. We expected to have to come by later this week to
> get the big pot back but they dropped it off that afternoon.
>
> Next Sunday I will be dayworking and thats also the date where normally I
> do one of the 2 bigger contributions (Dashi is now weekly, costs me about
> 1.25$ to make 3 gallons). It turns out they are very happy to pickup if
> (? Selma?) is comming as she drives right by my house to get there and
> health permitting, is there every week. However, as she's easier to
> pickup on the way to church, vice having to drive back to my place later,
> it's best if the fixings are ready by 9:30 for 10:am services. She'll
> drop back off the various containers on her way home.
>
> This next week will be bread from the breadmaker as I can advance make it.
> I'm making semi-fancy sweet types (raisin and date types with cinnimon
> etc). 4 loaves, 10 slices or so each. Cost estimate is 3.50$ for the 4.
>
> I'm not going broke, just having a little fun and doing a little small bit
> of good for the world. My origional plan of 6$ a month or so has changed
> to about 10$ because they like the dashi soup.
>
> I made the dashi soup with potatoes but it was more time consuming on my
> end and not any better recieved so we are back to tofu. It takes about 15
> mins to do the tofu version of 3G, but takes well over an hour to do the
> potato version.

So, spill already. What's the recipe for this Dashi you speak highly of?
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" wrote

> So, spill already. What's the recipe for this Dashi you speak highly of?

Here it is!

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Dashi
Categories: Xxcarol, Soups
Yield: 4 Servings

1 sm Kombu piece (seaweed/kelp)
2 c Water
1 c Katsuo bushi (dried bonito)

The kombu piece will be about 4-5 inches square.

Place on heat, remove kombu when it comes to a boil and add Katsuo
Bushi. Once flakes sink, pour through strainer and discard flakes (or
save for second soup use!). Can be made without Katsuo Bushi, with
Shiitake mushrooms in it's place for a less salty and vegetarian type
but it needs a good 2 hours gentle boil to taste right.

Optional additions galore! Top picks are little chunks of Tofu, green
onions, mushroom bits, shrimp, and shredded cabbage.

From the kitchen of: xxcarol

MMMMM

But lately due to finding hon-dashi in a large container (1,000 servings,
15$) I havent been making my own. It's not as expensive as it looks there
as you save the kombu and katsuo bushi for making '2nd use' through '4th
use' versions. First and second taste just about the same but simmer
longer. 3rd use is lighter (add more nori or kombu) and 4th use is just for
mildly flavoring vegetable water. The yield above is for slighly less than
1/2 cup per serving. If using as a soup base, you'd use 3/4 to 1 cup per
serving.

Dashi is used just like you'd use chicken stock and in fact, in many dishes
you can use chicken stock in it's place for a different but acceptable
taste.

Hon-dashi is actually a brand name for a powdered dashi (looks like little
granules). There are many powdered versions but that is the best one IMHO.
1/4 ts powder per 3/4 cup water. Comes in a large box (they also sell
smaller ones but I think there the powder is less concentrated in those so
check the directions). Vary the strength as needed with more of the
granules.

Hence my soup kitchen dish is probably 'semi-home made' just now because I'm
using prepared dashi powder but in this case it tastes the same.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:27:13 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>But lately due to finding hon-dashi in a large container (1,000 servings,
>15$) I havent been making my own. It's not as expensive as it looks there
>as you save the kombu and katsuo bushi for making '2nd use' through '4th
>use' versions. First and second taste just about the same but simmer
>longer. 3rd use is lighter (add more nori or kombu) and 4th use is just for
>mildly flavoring vegetable water. The yield above is for slighly less than
>1/2 cup per serving. If using as a soup base, you'd use 3/4 to 1 cup per
>serving.

<snip>

>Hon-dashi is actually a brand name for a powdered dashi (looks like little
>granules). There are many powdered versions but that is the best one IMHO.
>1/4 ts powder per 3/4 cup water. Comes in a large box (they also sell
>smaller ones but I think there the powder is less concentrated in those so
>check the directions). Vary the strength as needed with more of the
>granules.

i usually see hon-dashi in little jars like bouillon powder.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:13:37 GMT:

??>> Hon-dashi is actually a brand name for a powdered dashi
??>> (looks like little granules). There are many powdered
??>> versions but that is the best one IMHO. 1/4 ts powder per
??>> 3/4 cup water. Comes in a large box (they also sell
??>> smaller ones but I think there the powder is less
??>> concentrated in those so check the directions). Vary the
??>> strength as needed with more of the granules.
??>>
bm> i usually see hon-dashi in little jars like bouillon
bm> powder.

I know very little Japanese, just the names of a few components
of sushi, but I think "hon dashi" is a generic name. Perhaps a
Japanese speaker would enlighten me.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" < wrote

>>But lately due to finding hon-dashi in a large container (1,000 servings,
>>15$) I havent been making my own. It's not as expensive as it looks there

>>Hon-dashi is actually a brand name for a powdered dashi (looks like little
>>granules). There are many powdered versions but that is the best one
>>IMHO.
>>1/4 ts powder per 3/4 cup water. Comes in a large box (they also sell
>>smaller ones but I think there the powder is less concentrated in those so
>>check the directions). Vary the strength as needed with more of the
>>granules.

> i usually see hon-dashi in little jars like bouillon powder.

So have I, but I never checked the label in Japan on the small ones to be
sure it had the same concentration. Even if it doesnt, I'm sure it tastes
fine mixed to directions!

To answer James too in same message, yes, it is possibly a 'generic name'
like 'ziplock bags' is both a specific and a generic for a type. Ajinomoto
corp makes it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:49:53 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"blake murphy" < wrote
>
>>>But lately due to finding hon-dashi in a large container (1,000 servings,
>>>15$) I havent been making my own. It's not as expensive as it looks there

>>>Hon-dashi is actually a brand name for a powdered dashi (looks like little
>>>granules). There are many powdered versions but that is the best one
>>>IMHO.
>>>1/4 ts powder per 3/4 cup water. Comes in a large box (they also sell
>>>smaller ones but I think there the powder is less concentrated in those so
>>>check the directions). Vary the strength as needed with more of the
>>>granules.

>> i usually see hon-dashi in little jars like bouillon powder.

>So have I, but I never checked the label in Japan on the small ones to be
>sure it had the same concentration. Even if it doesnt, I'm sure it tastes
>fine mixed to directions!
>
>To answer James too in same message, yes, it is possibly a 'generic name'
>like 'ziplock bags' is both a specific and a generic for a type. Ajinomoto
>corp makes it.

my jar is ajinomoto. i hope it keeps well, because it's been in the
refrigerator quite a while.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" wrote

> my jar is ajinomoto. i hope it keeps well, because it's been in the
> refrigerator quite a while.

As far as I know, it keeps forever. Mine isnt even refridgerated. It's in
the spice cabinet. I use such up fairly fast though. Especially now that
I'm making a 3 gallon batch a week <g>. I start with 1/4 cup then work a
taste test til it's right.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "blake murphy" < wrote
>
>>>But lately due to finding hon-dashi in a large container
>>>(1,000 servings,
>>>15$) I havent been making my own. It's not as expensive as
>>>it looks there

>>>Hon-dashi is actually a brand name for a powdered dashi
>>>(looks like little
>>>granules). There are many powdered versions but that is the
>>>best one IMHO.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>
To answer James too in same message, yes, it is possibly a
'generic name'
> like 'ziplock bags' is both a specific and a generic for a
> type. Ajinomoto corp makes it.

I guess I was a little confused because my jar of Ajinomoto
dashi had the name written "Hon.dashi" . I asked the question on
alt.food sushi and got the following reply from a correspondent
who it is clear from earlier threads is a native speaker of
Japanese.

James

The "Hon" in Hondashi comes from "Hontou" meaning real or true.
Hondashi is a specific Brand Name of a dashi packet.,
manufactured by Ajinomoto Co.

The generic term for dashi is "dashi".

Musashi

So "dashi" it is for me from now on unless I am referring to
Ajinomoto's product.

Jim Silverton
Potomac, MD.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 17:50:52 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"blake murphy" wrote
>
>> my jar is ajinomoto. i hope it keeps well, because it's been in the
>> refrigerator quite a while.

>As far as I know, it keeps forever. Mine isnt even refridgerated. It's in
>the spice cabinet. I use such up fairly fast though. Especially now that
>I'm making a 3 gallon batch a week <g>. I start with 1/4 cup then work a
>taste test til it's right.

yeah, i know you use about a hundred times what i do. i need to get a
bag of miso the next time i'm at the asian store.

i put it in the fridge because that's what it says on the jar. (i
refuse to refrigerate soy sauce no matter what it says on the label.)

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" wrote

> yeah, i know you use about a hundred times what i do. i need to get a
> bag of miso the next time i'm at the asian store.

To keep Miso, freeze it. It will stay soft and pliable even in the freezer.
Wierd stuff but true.

> i put it in the fridge because that's what it says on the jar. (i
> refuse to refrigerate soy sauce no matter what it says on the label.)

Hehe i learned dashi powdr from a jar labeled in Japanese which I couldnt
read so never knew they wanted it fridged after opening <g>. Not til you
mentioned it!