FoodBanter.com

-   -   Tip for freezing sauerkraut. (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/147783-tip-freezing-sauerkraut.html)

Dee.Dee 30-01-2008 12:54 AM

Tip for freezing sauerkraut.

Thanks, Wayne, for letting us know that sauerkraut can be frozen. I have
bought as of late good quality sauerkraut in a jar and have discarded
perhaps 2/3 of it each time. The expense is one part of the discouragement,
but to lose a good portion of a good product is hard to take.

From a purchase yesteday of 8 thick pork chops weighing 5#, ending up
costing $10.00 (with my coupon of $5 off), I set them side-up in a slow
cooker (outside underneath the eves, because it was misting cold rain all
day) for about 6-1/2 hours.
I dripped separately on each a concentrate of pomegranate juice, a little
worcestshire sauce, and balsamic, salt and pepper.
Pretty good.

I had frozen the sauerkraut into a pint Ball jar, which I had taken out
yesterday and put into the refrigerator. It pulled out of the jar perfectly
and placed with a little water into a heavy ss pan and heated.

Left-over pinto beans, stalks of celery and carrots. Good meal for us.

The other 6 pork chops will go into the freezer in separate packages. One
or two will be used in tortillas, pulled.

Thanks again, Wayne for your tip. It is a lasting gift.
Dee Dee

Wayne Boatwright 30-01-2008 01:01 AM

Tip for freezing sauerkraut.

On Tue 29 Jan 2008 05:54:41p, Dee.Dee told us...

> Thanks, Wayne, for letting us know that sauerkraut can be frozen. I
> have bought as of late good quality sauerkraut in a jar and have
> discarded perhaps 2/3 of it each time. The expense is one part of the
> discouragement, but to lose a good portion of a good product is hard to
> take.
>
> From a purchase yesteday of 8 thick pork chops weighing 5#, ending up
> costing $10.00 (with my coupon of $5 off), I set them side-up in a slow
> cooker (outside underneath the eves, because it was misting cold rain
> all day) for about 6-1/2 hours.
> I dripped separately on each a concentrate of pomegranate juice, a
> little worcestshire sauce, and balsamic, salt and pepper.
> Pretty good.
>
> I had frozen the sauerkraut into a pint Ball jar, which I had taken out
> yesterday and put into the refrigerator. It pulled out of the jar
> perfectly and placed with a little water into a heavy ss pan and heated.
>
> Left-over pinto beans, stalks of celery and carrots. Good meal for us.
>
> The other 6 pork chops will go into the freezer in separate packages.
> One or two will be used in tortillas, pulled.
>
> Thanks again, Wayne for your tip. It is a lasting gift.
> Dee Dee

You're very welcome, Dee. Those porks chops sound really delicious. I've
copied it down and will try it.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Tuesday, 01(I)/29(XXIX)/08(MMVIII)
Ignorance can be cured -- but stupid
is forever.

stark 30-01-2008 12:30 PM

On Jan 29, 6:54 pm, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
> Thanks, Wayne, for letting us know that sauerkraut can be frozen. I have
> bought as of late good quality sauerkraut in a jar and have discarded
> perhaps 2/3 of it each time. The expense is one part of the discouragement,
> but to lose a good portion of a good product is hard to take.
> > Dee Dee

Just curious but how long did it take for your kraut to go bad? Did
it develop visibles or an off-taste? Or maybe an off-off-taste since
kraut starts out kinda off.

Dee.Dee 30-01-2008 01:35 PM

"stark" > wrote in message
> On Jan 29, 6:54 pm, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
>> Thanks, Wayne, for letting us know that sauerkraut can be frozen. I have
>> bought as of late good quality sauerkraut in a jar and have discarded
>> perhaps 2/3 of it each time. The expense is one part of the
>> discouragement,
>> but to lose a good portion of a good product is hard to take.
>> > Dee Dee

> Just curious but how long did it take for your kraut to go bad? Did
> it develop visibles or an off-taste? Or maybe an off-off-taste since
> kraut starts out kinda off.

Actually, I don't know if it did go bad, but the time it was left in the
refrigerator for an amount of time, and the fact that these 2-3 brands I
bought were not the usually heavily salted sauerkraut, time in the
refrigerator was my guide to dumping it. (And I wasn't quite up to tasting
it at that point ;-)))

Wish I could be of more help -- I couldn't even help myself in this
instance.

Dee Dee

stark 30-01-2008 05:52 PM

On Jan 30, 7:35 am, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
> "stark" > wrote in message
>
> > Just curious but how long did it take for your kraut to go bad? Did
> > it develop visibles or an off-taste? Or maybe an off-off-taste since
> > kraut starts out kinda off.

> Actually, I don't know if it did go bad, but the time it was left in the
> refrigerator for an amount of time, and the fact that these 2-3 brands I
> bought were not the usually heavily salted sauerkraut, time in the
> refrigerator was my guide to dumping it. (And I wasn't quite up to tasting
> it at that point ;-)))
>
> Wish I could be of more help -- I couldn't even help myself in this
> instance.

No problem. But you did have me worried. I keep opened Kraut in the
fridge pretty much all the time. I get cravings for it. Busch,
Claussen, Boar's Head, Kroger store brand. Might be a month, maybe
longer. But it still tastes like Kraut and I've had no adverse
reactions. 'Cept maybe bad breath for a while.

Dee.Dee 30-01-2008 06:25 PM

"stark" > wrote in message
> On Jan 30, 7:35 am, "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
>> "stark" > wrote in message
>>
>> > Just curious but how long did it take for your kraut to go bad? Did
>> > it develop visibles or an off-taste? Or maybe an off-off-taste since
>> > kraut starts out kinda off.

>> Actually, I don't know if it did go bad, but the time it was left in the
>> refrigerator for an amount of time, and the fact that these 2-3 brands I
>> bought were not the usually heavily salted sauerkraut, time in the
>> refrigerator was my guide to dumping it. (And I wasn't quite up to
>> tasting
>> it at that point ;-)))
>>
>> Wish I could be of more help -- I couldn't even help myself in this
>> instance.
>>

> No problem. But you did have me worried. I keep opened Kraut in the
> fridge pretty much all the time. I get cravings for it. Busch,
> Claussen, Boar's Head, Kroger store brand. Might be a month, maybe
> longer. But it still tastes like Kraut and I've had no adverse
> reactions. 'Cept maybe bad breath for a while.

I know what you mean -- there is no better craving to satisfy than one
satisfied by a bite of sauerkraut. Maybe I'll let it go 10 days -- I'm
thinking.
Dee Dee