Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pies

I'm looking for an old recipe for Boston Cream Pie....it's more like a
cake ...It's a cake cut in half filled with a clear white (I think
coconut tasting) filling in the middle and the whole thing is then
covered with a chocolate like sauce... I first tasted it in a Chinese
restaurant which is no longer in business... is anyone familiar with
this recipe? I don't think there is actually any coconut in this
recipe...! But it was really excellent and not very sweet either
except for the chocolate on top....Just a beautiful dish to serve...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 28, 8:44*am, wrote:
> I'm looking for an old recipe for Boston Cream Pie....it's more like a
> cake ...It's a cake cut in half filled with a clear white (I think
> coconut tasting) filling in the middle and the whole thing is then

You would have saved a lot of time by searching for it on Google:
"recipes boston cream pie." You'll probably get hundreds.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> I'm looking for an old recipe for Boston Cream Pie....it's more like a
> cake ...It's a cake cut in half filled with a clear white (I think
> coconut tasting) filling in the middle and the whole thing is then
> covered with a chocolate like sauce... I first tasted it in a Chinese
> restaurant which is no longer in business... is anyone familiar with
> this recipe? I don't think there is actually any coconut in this
> recipe...! But it was really excellent and not very sweet either
> except for the chocolate on top....Just a beautiful dish to serve...

It's a very common recipe. As the others said, do a search for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> I'm looking for an old recipe for Boston Cream Pie....it's more like a
>> cake ...It's a cake cut in half filled with a clear white (I think
>> coconut tasting) filling in the middle and the whole thing is then
>> covered with a chocolate like sauce... I first tasted it in a Chinese
>> restaurant which is no longer in business... is anyone familiar with
>> this recipe? I don't think there is actually any coconut in this
>> recipe...! But it was really excellent and not very sweet either
>> except for the chocolate on top....Just a beautiful dish to serve...

The filling is usually custard or vanilla pudding.

It was my dad's favorite dessert so we had it nearly every
Sunday for
years and years.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 06:44:43 -0800 (PST), fired up
random neurons and synapses to opine:

>I'm looking for an old recipe for Boston Cream Pie....it's more like a
>cake

This is pretty traditional:

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Boston Cream Pie

desserts

sponge cake:
1/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon plus 2 tablespoons butter for pans
8 eggs
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 1/2 cups pastry cream, recipe follows
2 cups chocolate fondant icing; store bought
pastry cream:
2 1/4 cups whole milk
1 cup sugar
3 eggs, separated
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon butter

In a saucepan, whisk the 2 cups of the milk and sugar together. Place
the
pan over medium heat and bring the liquid up to a simmer. Whisk the
egg
yolks together. Temper the hot milk into the egg yolks. Whisk the egg
mixture into the hot milk mixture. In a small bowl, dissolve the
cornstarch
in the remaining milk, making a slurry. Whisk the slurry into the hot
milk
mixture. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook
the
mixture, stirring constantly, until the filling is thick, about 4 to 6
minutes. Fold in the vanilla, and butter. Mix well.

Sponge cake:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a small sauce pan, heat the milk
and
2 tablespoons butter together. Using an electric mixer fitted with a
wire
whip, combine the eggs and sugar together. Beat on medium-high speed
for
about 8 minutes, or until the mixture is pale yellow, thick and has
tripled
in volume. With the machine running slowly add the heated milk. In a
mixing bowl sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Fold the
flour mixture into the egg mixture and mix thoroughly so that there
are no
lumps and the mixture is smooth. Fold in the vanilla.
Grease 2 each 9-inch round cake pans with 2 tablespoons of butter.
Sprinkle
each with a tablespoon of sugar. Pour the cake batter evenly into the
pans
and bake for about 25 minutes, or until the cakes spring back when
touched. Cool for about 2 minutes. Using a thin knife, loosen the
edges of
the cakes, then flip onto a wire rack. When the cakes have cooled
completely, slice each cake in half. To assemble, place the bottom
layer on
a 9-inch round cardboard and place it on a wire rack. Spread 1 1/2
cups of
the pastry cream evenly on top of the layer. Top with the second layer
of
cake. Spread 1 1/2 cups of pastry cream on it. Repeat the same process
with
the third layer. Top with the fourth layer. If necessary, shave off
any
uneven pieces of cake with a serrated knife so that it is smooth and
even
on all sides. Frost the entire cake with the chocolate fondant. Place
the
cake in the refrigerator and chill completely. Slice the cake into 16
slices.

Contributor: Emeril LaGasse

Yield: 16 slices

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

found this at tamara's sweet treats

Boston Cream Pie
Don't be fooled! This "pie" is really a cake.

Cake:
1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk

Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Set
aside.

Work butter and vanilla extract together until creamy,
then work in sugar, a little at a time, until smooth.
Beat in eggs one at a time, beating hard after each
addition. Stir in milk and flour combination
alternately. Pour batter into two greased 8-inch round
cake pans and bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven
for 25 minutes or until cake pulls away from sides of
pan. Cool.

Filling:
1 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons flour
Dash of salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Scald half-and-half. Combine sugar, flour and salt in
a bowl and stir in the hot milk until smooth. Add to
egg very slowly, beating constantly. Cook over boiling
water, stirring constantly, until custard thickens.
Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract and cool.
When both cake and filling are cool, spoon filling
between the layers and sprinkle top with
confectioners' sugar, or frost with chocolate
frosting.

Variation:
To make Washington Pie, put raspberry jam or jelly
between the layers in place of the custard, and shower
the top with confectioners' sugar.

From RetiredPostal

Pot pies KenK General Cooking 217 24-11-2015 08:59 PM
Pies Serious Sid Baking 0 27-01-2010 09:24 AM
pies hahabogus General Cooking 3 28-05-2008 10:42 PM
Mm, pies [email protected] Vegetarian cooking 0 24-11-2006 10:51 PM
Cow Pies Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 06-03-2006 12:49 PM