FoodBanter.com

-   -   St David's Day Food (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/147389-st-davids-day-food.html)

Brian 24-01-2008 09:21 PM

St David's Day Food

Help wanted please. Every year my wife and I throw a themed winter
BBQ
in the hope that it will bring the summer more quickly. This year it
falls upon St David's day and therefore the theme is Wales or things
Welsh.

So we're looking for ideas for the food, friends will bring the
starters and puds + cheese so we have no control over these items.
However, we will be doing the BBQ'ing and rest of the main course.
I've looked for some Welsh recipes but obviously been looking in the
wrong places. Does anyone have any suggestions we could use.

TIA

Brian

Nancy2 24-01-2008 09:29 PM

St David's Day Food

On Jan 24, 3:21*pm, Brian wrote:
Help wanted please. Every year my wife and I throw a themed winter
BBQ
in the hope that it will bring the summer more quickly. This year it
falls upon St David's day and therefore the theme is Wales or things
Welsh.

So we're looking for ideas for the food, friends will bring the
starters and puds + cheese so we have no control over these items.
However, we will be doing the BBQ'ing and rest of the main course.
I've looked for some Welsh recipes but obviously been looking in the
wrong places. Does anyone have any suggestions we could use.

TIA

Brian

Did the Welsh (as in miners) have pasties? You could make empanadas
as miniature pasties.

N.

Brian 24-01-2008 09:41 PM

St David's Day Food

Snip

Did the Welsh (as in miners) have pasties? *You could make empanadas
as miniature pasties.

Interesting idea thanks. Don't know if the Welsh had pasties, of
course the Cornish did and they're just across the Severn from Wales,
may be worth a try, but how to do it on a BBQ?

A quick google of Empanadas shows them to be mainly of of Spanish/
Portugese or Latin American origin. Some tasty sounding recipes about
though. I hadn't heard of them before.

brian

Dave Smith[_1_] 24-01-2008 09:50 PM

St David's Day Food

Nancy2 wrote:

So we're looking for ideas for the food, friends will bring the
starters and puds + cheese so we have no control over these items.
However, we will be doing the BBQ'ing and rest of the main course.
I've looked for some Welsh recipes but obviously been looking in the
wrong places. Does anyone have any suggestions we could use.

TIA

Brian

Did the Welsh (as in miners) have pasties? You could make empanadas
as miniature pasties.

I thought Welsh pasties were a tradtional Welsh miner lunch. Alton Brown
did a show about them.

Dave Smith[_1_] 24-01-2008 09:56 PM

St David's Day Food

Dave Smith wrote:

Nancy2 wrote:

So we're looking for ideas for the food, friends will bring the
starters and puds + cheese so we have no control over these items.
However, we will be doing the BBQ'ing and rest of the main course.
I've looked for some Welsh recipes but obviously been looking in the
wrong places. Does anyone have any suggestions we could use.

TIA

Brian

Did the Welsh (as in miners) have pasties? You could make empanadas
as miniature pasties.

I thought Welsh pasties were a tradtional Welsh miner lunch. Alton Brown
did a show about them.

Oops. Sorry. Those were cornish pasties.

Brian 24-01-2008 09:58 PM

St David's Day Food

Snip

I thought Welsh pasties were a tradtional Welsh miner lunch. *Alton Brown
did a show about them.

Yes, found them they were originally known as Welsh Oggie. ?Who is
Alton Brown?

Dave Smith[_1_] 24-01-2008 10:40 PM

St David's Day Food

Brian wrote:

Snip

I thought Welsh pasties were a tradtional Welsh miner lunch. Alton Brown
did a show about them.

Yes, found them they were originally known as Welsh Oggie. ?Who is
Alton Brown?

He is a Food TV host... "Good Eats"