Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Alternative Deviled Eggs

While I like Koko's deviled eggs very much and have made similar many
times, the recipe below is one that is totally different. It's a littly
chunky and very tasty. Both my grandmother and mother made them this way.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Grandmother's Deviled Eggs

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers

6 ea Large or extra-large eggs
4 ea Saltine cracker squares,
Finely crushed
1 tb Onion, finely minced
2 tb Celery, finely diced
1 tb Sweet pickle, finely diced (or relish)
2 tb Bacon, finely crumbled
(optional)
1/2 ts Yellow mustard
1/3 c Mayonnaise
Salt and pepper to taste
Stuffed olives, sliced
Paprika

Put eggs in one layer in medium saucepan. Cover with cold water and
slowly bring to boil. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 15
minutes.

Drain hot water from eggs and cover with cold water to cool. Peel eggs,
slice in half lengthwise and separate yolks and whites, placing yolks in
medium mixing bowl. Reserve egg whites on plate.

Mash egg yolks with fork until well broken up. Add crushed crackers,
onion, celery, pickle, and bacon (if using) to egg yolks, tossing
together until well mixed. Stir in mayonnaise and mustard until well
mixed. If egg yolk mixture is too dry, add additional mayonnaise or a
small amount of cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Pipe or spoon egg yolk mixture into egg white halves. Press olive slice
into top of egg, and sprinkle lightly with paprika. Serve immediately
or refrigerate. If refrigerating, remove from refrigerator 1/2 hour
before serving to improve flavor.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Feast of Septuagesima
And on the 8th day, God said, 'Okay,
Murphy, you're in charge.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> While I like Koko's deviled eggs very much and have made similar many
> times, the recipe below is one that is totally different. It's a littly
> chunky and very tasty. Both my grandmother and mother made them this way.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Grandmother's Deviled Eggs

<snipped for space>

> 1 tb Sweet pickle, finely diced (or relish)

This sounds rather good too Wayne, but I have one question... what is
the "sweet pickle" in this case? We usually think of pickled cucumbers
as "pickles". Am I right, or am I wrong? If I am wrong, what's in the
sweet pickle?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved
off the dessert cart.
- Erma Bombeck
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:11:52 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> While I like Koko's deviled eggs very much and have made similar many
>> times, the recipe below is one that is totally different. It's a littly
>> chunky and very tasty. Both my grandmother and mother made them this way.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Grandmother's Deviled Eggs

><snipped for space>
>

>> 1 tb Sweet pickle, finely diced (or relish)

>This sounds rather good too Wayne, but I have one question... what is
>the "sweet pickle" in this case? We usually think of pickled cucumbers
>as "pickles". Am I right, or am I wrong? If I am wrong, what's in the
>sweet pickle?

Don't you guys have "sweet pickle relish" over there in the mountains
of South Africa? Use that.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Summert...es/Detail.aspx

http://www.recipezaar.com/71203

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Don't you guys have "sweet pickle relish" over there in the mountains
> of South Africa? Use that.
>
> http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Summert...es/Detail.aspx

Well, no we don't, not by that name. Why do you think I asked?
But, judging by your links they're called pickled cucumbers aka
'gherkins' here.

And BTW, I don't live in the mountains :-P
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved
off the dessert cart.
- Erma Bombeck
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> sf wrote:
>

>> Don't you guys have "sweet pickle relish" over there in the mountains
>> of South Africa? Use that.
>>
>> http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Summert...es/Detail.aspx

> Well, no we don't, not by that name. Why do you think I asked?
> But, judging by your links they're called pickled cucumbers aka
> 'gherkins' here.
>
> And BTW, I don't live in the mountains :-P

Oeufs farcis [from "ma cuisine"]

Hard boiled eggs are served as hors d'oeuvre in a variety of ways. They
are usually cut in half lengthways, the yolks removed, sieved, seasoned
with salt and pepper and mixed with an equal quantity of butter [editors
note:!!!]. The mixture is then piped back into the hollow of the egg
white. Cover with a little mayonnaise sauce and serve on hors d'oeuvre
dishes.

Note: To vary this, add a little anchovy, smoked salmon, tunny fish or
sardine butter to the egg yolks.

[note: anchovy paste or mashed anchovy, smoked salmon, shrimp or tunny
fish is even better than mixing the fish with butter imo add mustard and
or horseradish, wasabi, fine dice of shallots and a touch of garlic and
white wine]
--
JL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> While I like Koko's deviled eggs very much and have made similar many
> times, the recipe below is one that is totally different. It's a littly
> chunky and very tasty. Both my grandmother and mother made them this way.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Grandmother's Deviled Eggs
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Appetizers

> 6 ea Large or extra-large eggs
> 4 ea Saltine cracker squares,
> Finely crushed
> 1 tb Onion, finely minced
> 2 tb Celery, finely diced
> 1 tb Sweet pickle, finely diced (or relish)
> 2 tb Bacon, finely crumbled
> (optional)
> 1/2 ts Yellow mustard
> 1/3 c Mayonnaise
> Salt and pepper to taste
> Stuffed olives, sliced
> Paprika
>
> Put eggs in one layer in medium saucepan. Cover with cold water and
> slowly bring to boil. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 15
> minutes.
>
> Drain hot water from eggs and cover with cold water to cool. Peel eggs,
> slice in half lengthwise and separate yolks and whites, placing yolks in
> medium mixing bowl. Reserve egg whites on plate.
>
> Mash egg yolks with fork until well broken up. Add crushed crackers,
> onion, celery, pickle, and bacon (if using) to egg yolks, tossing
> together until well mixed. Stir in mayonnaise and mustard until well
> mixed. If egg yolk mixture is too dry, add additional mayonnaise or a
> small amount of cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
>
> Pipe or spoon egg yolk mixture into egg white halves. Press olive slice
> into top of egg, and sprinkle lightly with paprika. Serve immediately
> or refrigerate. If refrigerating, remove from refrigerator 1/2 hour
> before serving to improve flavor.

My favorite egg topic.
If you'd like to try something a bit different or possibly even
borderline strange, and have almost finished a large jar of pickled
pepperoncini peppers from Costco, then you could try my favorite
variation on deviled eggs.
Peel the hard boiled eggs, drop them into the jar of pickle juice, and
let them marinate in the refrigerator for two or three days to absorb
the pepper / vinegar flavor. If you leave them in too long, they'll
shrink and become tough as the vinegar draws water from the eggs.
After marinating, prepare the eggs in your usual way.
I like to call them "Double-deviled eggs".
I like to put a thin slice of pepperoncini on top of each egg, to warn
off those sensitive to even slightly spicy foods.

I told my sister about this, and she tried it - using green olives in
salt brine instead of pepperoncinis in vinegar. I should NEVER give my
sister any cooking ideas, ever again...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:12:45 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> fired up random neurons and synapses to
opine:

>While I like Koko's deviled eggs very much and have made similar many
>times, the recipe below is one that is totally different. It's a littly
>chunky and very tasty. Both my grandmother and mother made them this way.
>

>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Grandmother's Deviled Eggs

<snip>

My grandmother's recipe is much simpler, although I think deviled eggs
are one of those fungible dishes that one identifies with as the one
you grew up with, like potato salad or turkey dressing.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Deviled Eggs

appetizers side dishes

6 eggs
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon vinegar
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
dash pepper
paprika

Slice eggs in half and put yolks in a small bowl. Combine the next 5
ingredients and mash together well until smooth. Drop by spoonful into
egg. Sprinkle with paprika.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Yield: 6 servings

Preparation Time: 0:00

NYC Nutrilink: N0^00000,N0^00000,N0^00000,N0^00000
NYC Nutrilink: N0^00000,N0^00000,N0^00000

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 20 Jan 2008 11:11:52a, ChattyCathy told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> While I like Koko's deviled eggs very much and have made similar many
>> times, the recipe below is one that is totally different. It's a
>> littly chunky and very tasty. Both my grandmother and mother made them
>> this way.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Grandmother's Deviled Eggs

> <snipped for space>
>

>> 1 tb Sweet pickle, finely diced (or relish)

> This sounds rather good too Wayne, but I have one question... what is
> the "sweet pickle" in this case? We usually think of pickled cucumbers
> as "pickles". Am I right, or am I wrong? If I am wrong, what's in the
> sweet pickle?

Yes, Cathy, you are right, just pickled cucumbers, but in this case, sweet
ones. We have a rather large variety of pickles in the US... When we say
pickles we generally do mean pickled cucumbers of one sort or another.
There are sweet, salt-cured dill (not sweet), vinegar dills (not sweet),
etc., and there are pickle relishes which are most often nothing more than
finely chopped sweet or dill pickles. In this case, you would use the
sweet pickle relish, or hand chop sweet pickles.

Most commercial sweet pickles in the US may have celery seed, mustard seed,
sugar, vinegar, water, and possibly some other spices. They are fairly
simple pickles.

In this case of this recipe, they are used just to add a bit of sweetness
to the total flavor.
--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Feast of Septuagesima
A good frame of mind... but no picture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Alternative Deviled Eggs

On Sun 20 Jan 2008 01:06:47p, kilikini told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> While I like Koko's deviled eggs very much and have made similar many
>> times, the recipe below is one that is totally different. It's a
>> littly chunky and very tasty. Both my grandmother and mother made
>> them this way.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Grandmother's Deviled Eggs
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Appetizers
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 6 ea Large or extra-large eggs
>> 4 ea Saltine cracker squares,
>> Finely crushed
>> 1 tb Onion, finely minced
>> 2 tb Celery, finely diced
>> 1 tb Sweet pickle, finely diced (or relish)
>> 2 tb Bacon, finely crumbled (optional)
>> 1/2 ts Yellow mustard
>> 1/3 c Mayonnaise
>> Salt and pepper to taste
>> Stuffed olives, sliced
>> Paprika
>>
>> Put eggs in one layer in medium saucepan. Cover with cold water and
>> slowly bring to boil. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 15
>> minutes.
>>
>> Drain hot water from eggs and cover with cold water to cool. Peel
>> eggs, slice in half lengthwise and separate yolks and whites, placing
>> yolks in medium mixing bowl. Reserve egg whites on plate.
>>
>> Mash egg yolks with fork until well broken up. Add crushed crackers,
>> onion, celery, pickle, and bacon (if using) to egg yolks, tossing
>> together until well mixed. Stir in mayonnaise and mustard until well
>> mixed. If egg yolk mixture is too dry, add additional mayonnaise or
>> a small amount of cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
>>
>> Pipe or spoon egg yolk mixture into egg white halves. Press olive
>> slice into top of egg, and sprinkle lightly with paprika. Serve
>> immediately or refrigerate. If refrigerating, remove from
>> refrigerator 1/2 hour before serving to improve flavor.

> I wish I could eat deviled eggs because this sounds fabulous! I'm
> saving the recipe to make to take to some gathering at some point,
> though. Thanks, Wayne.
>
> kili

You're welcome, Kili. Sorry you can't eat them!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Feast of Septuagesima
I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up
on tape somewhere!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 17:12:45 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > fired up random neurons and synapses
> to opine:
>
>>While I like Koko's deviled eggs very much and have made
>>similar many times, the recipe below is one that is totally
>>different. It's a littly chunky and very tasty. Both my
>>grandmother and mother made them this way.
>>

>>* Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Grandmother's Deviled Eggs

> <snip>
>
> My grandmother's recipe is much simpler, although I think
> deviled eggs are one of those fungible dishes that one
> identifies with as the one you grew up with, like potato salad
> or turkey dressing.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Deviled Eggs
>
> appetizers side dishes
>
> 6 eggs
> 1/4 cup mayonnaise
> 1 teaspoon vinegar
> 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> dash pepper
> paprika
>
> Slice eggs in half and put yolks in a small bowl. Combine the
> next 5 ingredients and mash together well until smooth. Drop
> by spoonful into egg. Sprinkle with paprika.

That's exactly how I make mine. Simple.

> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> Yield: 6 servings
>
> Preparation Time: 0:00
>
> NYC Nutrilink: N0^00000,N0^00000,N0^00000,N0^00000
> NYC Nutrilink: N0^00000,N0^00000,N0^00000
>
> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.66 **
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
> --
> "If the soup had been as hot as the claret, if the claret had
> been as old as the bird, and if the bird's breasts had been as
> full as the waitress's, it would have been a very good
> dinner."
>
> -- Duncan Hines
>

> To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Wayne Boatwright > said:

> While I like Koko's deviled eggs very much and have made similar many
> times,

I missed this thread, do you recall the name, Wayne?

> the recipe below is one that is totally different. It's a littly
> chunky and very tasty. Both my grandmother and mother made them this way.

They sound very tasty, though different from the recipe I posted
in the "Deviled Eggs (REC & GIF)" thread. But different is a good
thing... :-)

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 20 Jan 2008 06:05:24p, none told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> While I like Koko's deviled eggs very much and have made similar many
>> times, the recipe below is one that is totally different. It's a
>> littly chunky and very tasty. Both my grandmother and mother made them
>> this way.
>>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Grandmother's Deviled Eggs
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Appetizers
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 6 ea Large or extra-large eggs
>> 4 ea Saltine cracker squares,
>> Finely crushed
>> 1 tb Onion, finely minced
>> 2 tb Celery, finely diced
>> 1 tb Sweet pickle, finely diced (or relish)
>> 2 tb Bacon, finely crumbled (optional)
>> 1/2 ts Yellow mustard
>> 1/3 c Mayonnaise
>> Salt and pepper to taste
>> Stuffed olives, sliced
>> Paprika
>>
>> Put eggs in one layer in medium saucepan. Cover with cold water and
>> slowly bring to boil. Cover and remove from heat. Let stand 15
>> minutes.
>>
>> Drain hot water from eggs and cover with cold water to cool. Peel
>> eggs, slice in half lengthwise and separate yolks and whites, placing
>> yolks in medium mixing bowl. Reserve egg whites on plate.
>>
>> Mash egg yolks with fork until well broken up. Add crushed crackers,
>> onion, celery, pickle, and bacon (if using) to egg yolks, tossing
>> together until well mixed. Stir in mayonnaise and mustard until well
>> mixed. If egg yolk mixture is too dry, add additional mayonnaise or
>> a small amount of cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
>>
>> Pipe or spoon egg yolk mixture into egg white halves. Press olive
>> slice into top of egg, and sprinkle lightly with paprika. Serve
>> immediately or refrigerate. If refrigerating, remove from
>> refrigerator 1/2 hour before serving to improve flavor.
>>

> My favorite egg topic.
> If you'd like to try something a bit different or possibly even
> borderline strange, and have almost finished a large jar of pickled
> pepperoncini peppers from Costco, then you could try my favorite
> variation on deviled eggs.
> Peel the hard boiled eggs, drop them into the jar of pickle juice, and
> let them marinate in the refrigerator for two or three days to absorb
> the pepper / vinegar flavor. If you leave them in too long, they'll
> shrink and become tough as the vinegar draws water from the eggs.
> After marinating, prepare the eggs in your usual way.
> I like to call them "Double-deviled eggs".
> I like to put a thin slice of pepperoncini on top of each egg, to warn
> off those sensitive to even slightly spicy foods.
>
> I told my sister about this, and she tried it - using green olives in
> salt brine instead of pepperoncinis in vinegar. I should NEVER give my
> sister any cooking ideas, ever again...

I like that! I've always like pickled eggs, but never thought to combine
the two concepts. Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Feast of Septuagesima
From the Department of Redundancy Dept.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 20 Jan 2008 08:37:07p, Little Malice told us...

> One time on Usenet, Wayne Boatwright > said:
>
>> While I like Koko's deviled eggs very much and have made similar many
>> times,

> I missed this thread, do you recall the name, Wayne?

My apologies! I must have been having a senior moment. :-) It was YOUR
recipe and post I was commenting on. <slaps face>

I really do like your recipe, and as I said, have made one very similar
many times. Some folks are crazy about my slightly chunky filling, so I
only make those when I know who'll be eating them. However, they're my
personal favorite, probably because I grew up with them.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/20(XX)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Feast of Septuagesima
From the Department of Redundancy Dept.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Yes, Cathy, you are right, just pickled cucumbers, but in this case, sweet
> ones. We have a rather large variety of pickles in the US... When we say
> pickles we generally do mean pickled cucumbers of one sort or another.
> There are sweet, salt-cured dill (not sweet), vinegar dills (not sweet),
> etc., and there are pickle relishes which are most often nothing more than
> finely chopped sweet or dill pickles. In this case, you would use the
> sweet pickle relish, or hand chop sweet pickles.
>
> Most commercial sweet pickles in the US may have celery seed, mustard seed,
> sugar, vinegar, water, and possibly some other spices. They are fairly
> simple pickles.
>
> In this case of this recipe, they are used just to add a bit of sweetness
> to the total flavor.

Thanks Wayne.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved
off the dessert cart.
- Erma Bombeck
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Wayne Boatwright > said:
> On Sun 20 Jan 2008 08:37:07p, Little Malice told us...
>
> > One time on Usenet, Wayne Boatwright > said:
> >
> >> While I like Koko's deviled eggs very much and have made similar many
> >> times,

> > I missed this thread, do you recall the name, Wayne?

> My apologies! I must have been having a senior moment. :-) It was YOUR
> recipe and post I was commenting on. <slaps face>

Thank Goodness! I was starting to think *I* was the goofy one. ;-)

> I really do like your recipe, and as I said, have made one very similar
> many times. Some folks are crazy about my slightly chunky filling, so I
> only make those when I know who'll be eating them. However, they're my
> personal favorite, probably because I grew up with them.

<snip>

Your chunkier filling reminds me of something my Gramma liked;
she'd smash a boiled egg with a fork, add a little chopped sweet
pickle, some tuna, and mayo. Makes a great sandwich but it's a
bit rich...

--
Jani in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 21 Jan 2008 04:03:45p, Little Malice told us...

> One time on Usenet, Wayne Boatwright > said:

>> > I missed this thread, do you recall the name, Wayne?

>> My apologies! I must have been having a senior moment. :-) It was YOUR
>> recipe and post I was commenting on. <slaps face>

> Thank Goodness! I was starting to think *I* was the goofy one. ;-)
>
>> I really do like your recipe, and as I said, have made one very similar
>> many times. Some folks are crazy about my slightly chunky filling, so I
>> only make those when I know who'll be eating them. However, they're my
>> personal favorite, probably because I grew up with them.

> <snip>
>
> Your chunkier filling reminds me of something my Gramma liked;
> she'd smash a boiled egg with a fork, add a little chopped sweet
> pickle, some tuna, and mayo. Makes a great sandwich but it's a
> bit rich...

That's sounds good, too. Yes, a little on the rich side. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 01(I)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Martin Luther King's Birthday
Necessity is the mother of strange
bedfellows. --Dave Farber

deviled eggs? Peppermint Patootie Diabetic 1 01-11-2013 10:09 PM
Deviled Eggs Cheri[_3_] Diabetic 1 27-03-2012 05:47 AM
deviled eggs Kelly Greene General Cooking 15 23-04-2009 12:30 AM
Tex-Mex Deviled Eggs curmudgeon Mexican Cooking 0 17-05-2007 11:55 PM
Deviled Eggs Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 27-04-2006 07:16 AM