Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spaghetti Sauce and Sugar

I came across a recipe for spaghetti sauce that when adding sugar to
SLOWLY stir in the sugar. What happens when the sugar is instead dump
into the sauce all at once and then mix well?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote on Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:54:27 -0600:

S> I came across a recipe for spaghetti sauce that when adding
S> sugar to SLOWLY stir in the sugar. What happens when the
S> sugar is instead dump into the sauce all at once and then
S> mix well?

We had a discussion about sugar in spaghetti sauce fairly
recently and no one mentioned speed of addition. The amount used
is usually not much and, like anything, should be stirred in
thoroughly but I think the author of the recipe is adding
unnecessary complications.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott" > wrote in message
>I came across a recipe for spaghetti sauce that when adding sugar to SLOWLY
>stir in the sugar. What happens when the sugar is instead dump into the
>sauce all at once and then mix well?

Well, for starters, I don't add sugar to my sauce, so I can't help you
there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Scott wrote on Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:54:27 -0600:
>
> S> I came across a recipe for spaghetti sauce that when adding
> S> sugar to SLOWLY stir in the sugar. What happens when the
> S> sugar is instead dump into the sauce all at once and then
> S> mix well?
>
> We had a discussion about sugar in spaghetti sauce fairly recently and
> no one mentioned speed of addition. The amount used is usually not much
> and, like anything, should be stirred in thoroughly but I think the
> author of the recipe is adding unnecessary complications.
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

I got to thinking also that some recipes call for sugar and red wine and
some others call for grape jelly which contains grape juice and sugar
which is equal to the wine and sugar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott" > wrote in message
> James Silverton wrote:
>> Scott wrote on Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:54:27 -0600:
>>
>> S> I came across a recipe for spaghetti sauce that when adding
>> S> sugar to SLOWLY stir in the sugar. What happens when the
>> S> sugar is instead dump into the sauce all at once and then
>> S> mix well?
>>
>> We had a discussion about sugar in spaghetti sauce fairly recently and no
>> one mentioned speed of addition. The amount used is usually not much and,
>> like anything, should be stirred in thoroughly but I think the author of
>> the recipe is adding unnecessary complications.
>>
>> James Silverton
>> Potomac, Maryland
>>
>> E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

> I got to thinking also that some recipes call for sugar and red wine and
> some others call for grape jelly which contains grape juice and sugar
> which is equal to the wine and sugar.

Where did you see a recipe for t-sauce that includes grape jelly? Was this
in a cookbook written by frontier grannies from Iowa?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Scott" > wrote in message
>> James Silverton wrote:

>>> We had a discussion about sugar in spaghetti sauce fairly recently and no
>>> one mentioned speed of addition. The amount used is usually not much and,
>>> like anything, should be stirred in thoroughly but I think the author of
>>> the recipe is adding unnecessary complications.
>>>
>>> James Silverton
>>> Potomac, Maryland
>>>
>>> E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

>> I got to thinking also that some recipes call for sugar and red wine and
>> some others call for grape jelly which contains grape juice and sugar
>> which is equal to the wine and sugar.

> Where did you see a recipe for t-sauce that includes grape jelly? Was this
> in a cookbook written by frontier grannies from Iowa?

It was Olive Garden's sauce recipe that I got from copykat.com a while
back. I can't find it on that site anymore but I did find something similar:
http://www.recipezaar.com/49409
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>>> I got to thinking also that some recipes call for sugar and red wine and
>>> some others call for grape jelly which contains grape juice and sugar
>>> which is equal to the wine and sugar.

>> Where did you see a recipe for t-sauce that includes grape jelly? Was
>> this in a cookbook written by frontier grannies from Iowa?

> It was Olive Garden's sauce recipe that I got from copykat.com a while
> back. I can't find it on that site anymore but I did find something
> similar:
> http://www.recipezaar.com/49409

Jeez....don't adopt recipes written by drunk frat boys or morbidly obese
thing living in house trailers. Stop! Do yourself a favor and get a decent
Italian cookbook. And, Olive Garden isn't an Italian restaurant.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...60171841&itm=3

Excellent source for a used copy:

http://www.powells.com/biblio/1-9780060171841-10

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> I came across a recipe for spaghetti sauce that when adding sugar to
> SLOWLY stir in the sugar. What happens when the sugar is instead dump
> into the sauce all at once and then mix well?

"Slowly stir" and "dump into" are totally different concepts.

Don't ask how I know but I know your reading comprehension is ****
poor... I promise that what you just wrote has no resemblance
whatsoever to what the recipe said.

Did it not occur to add a little at a time and taste before each
addition... if you add the whole lot at once have you ever tried to
remove sugar?

People who can't cook rely on recipes but recipes are wasted on you...
because more important than that you can't cook, you can't read, and
you certainly can't write, in fact you can't even copy what was
written. Do yourself a big flavor, and I mean this in the best
possible way, never attempt to paraphrase... instead post a link to
the actual recipe you "came across".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> People who can't cook rely on recipes but recipes are wasted on you...
> because more important than that you can't cook, you can't read, and
> you certainly can't write, in fact you can't even copy what was
> written. Do yourself a big flavor, and I mean this in the best
> possible way, never attempt to paraphrase... instead post a link to
> the actual recipe you "came across".

Here's the quote:
*** Important Note: About 10 minutes before you put the Meatballs into
the sauce you will need to add (2) Tsp's of sugar. Sprinkle this in
slowly while you're stirring the sauce. Mix the sauce well after adding
the sugar.

And here's the link (1/4 the way down):
http://www.spaghettisauceandmeatballs.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 18, 4:29�pm, Scott > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > People who can't cook rely on recipes but recipes are wasted on you...
> > because more important than that you can't cook, you can't read, and
> > you certainly can't write, in fact you can't even copy what was
> > written. �Do yourself a big flavor, and I mean this in the best
> > possible way, never attempt to paraphrase... instead post a link to
> > the actual recipe you "came across".

> Here's the quote:
> *** Important Note: About 10 minutes before you put the Meatballs into
> the sauce you will need to add (2) Tsp's of sugar. Sprinkle this in
> slowly while you're stirring the sauce. Mix the sauce well after adding
> the sugar.
>
> And here's the link (1/4 the way down):http://www.spaghettisauceandmeatballs.com/

Are you telling me this is the recipe you came across and couldn't
pull yourself away and move on after reading the first paragraph...
that's one of the most poorly written recipes I've ever seen. And
it's not really a recipe, it's an entire novel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
On Jan 18, 4:29?pm, Scott > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > People who can't cook rely on recipes but recipes are wasted on you...
> > because more important than that you can't cook, you can't read, and
> > you certainly can't write, in fact you can't even copy what was
> > written. ?Do yourself a big flavor, and I mean this in the best
> > possible way, never attempt to paraphrase... instead post a link to
> > the actual recipe you "came across".

> Here's the quote:
> *** Important Note: About 10 minutes before you put the Meatballs into
> the sauce you will need to add (2) Tsp's of sugar. Sprinkle this in
> slowly while you're stirring the sauce. Mix the sauce well after adding
> the sugar.
>
> And here's the link (1/4 the way
> down):http://www.spaghettisauceandmeatballs.com/

Are you telling me this is the recipe you came across and couldn't
pull yourself away and move on after reading the first paragraph...
that's one of the most poorly written recipes I've ever seen. And
it's not really a recipe, it's an entire novel.

==================

None of the other 418 million recipes in the google search looked as
genuine-Italian as this one. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> Are you telling me this is the recipe you came across and couldn't
> pull yourself away and move on after reading the first paragraph...
> that's one of the most poorly written recipes I've ever seen. And
> it's not really a recipe, it's an entire novel.
>
> ==================
>

> None of the other 418 million recipes in the google search looked as
> genuine-Italian as this one. :-)

Oh good grief. Garlic powder? Hunts? yada yada yada. How sad that Scott
thinks this is one of the better recipes...?
Is Scott a troll just advertising a website with bad recipes so he can
profit from the number of folks who click on it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 17:53:50 -0500, Goomba38 wrote:
>
>> Oh good grief. Garlic powder? Hunts? yada yada yada. How sad that Scott
>> thinks this is one of the better recipes...?

> It uses real garlic as well as powder. Nothing wrong with that.
> And canned tomatoes are better than the tasteless store-bought
> tomatoes.
>
> The recipe was certainly long-winded, but it looks OK to me. I
> only skimmed it though.

The whole recipe instructions format is seriously annoying.
The ingredient brands weren't particularly special to even warrant
mention, IMO.
Did you see the parsley!? Ghastly dried (when fresh is so readily
available) and in such puny quantities that I have to wonder why bother?
No one would miss it at that rate.
It just seemed to have a slew of those type issues. IMNSHO
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:39:11 -0600, Scott > wrote:

>JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>> "Scott" > wrote in message

>>> I got to thinking also that some recipes call for sugar and red wine and
>>> some others call for grape jelly which contains grape juice and sugar
>>> which is equal to the wine and sugar.

>> Where did you see a recipe for t-sauce that includes grape jelly? Was this
>> in a cookbook written by frontier grannies from Iowa?
>>

>It was Olive Garden's sauce recipe that I got from copykat.com a while
>back. I can't find it on that site anymore but I did find something similar:
>http://www.recipezaar.com/49409

is there anything grape jelly can't do?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott" > wrote in message
>I came across a recipe for spaghetti sauce that when adding sugar to SLOWLY
>stir in the sugar. What happens when the sugar is instead dump into the
>sauce all at once and then mix well?

If I add tomato paste (small can only) I will add one teaspoon of sugar. I
rarely make tomato sauce with out San Marzano type tomatoes and they tend to
be a bit sweet without the acid. If I use a can tomato like Hunts or other
brands I might add two teaspoons per can of tomato paste. I will say though
that the amounts I make at one time a single teaspoon just cuts the acid
taste and not sweeten it at all.

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 17:53:50 -0500, Goomba38 wrote:
>>
>>> Oh good grief. Garlic powder? Hunts? yada yada yada. How sad that
>>> Scott thinks this is one of the better recipes...?

>> It uses real garlic as well as powder. Nothing wrong with that.
>> And canned tomatoes are better than the tasteless store-bought
>> tomatoes.
>>
>> The recipe was certainly long-winded, but it looks OK to me. I
>> only skimmed it though.

> The whole recipe instructions format is seriously annoying.
> The ingredient brands weren't particularly special to even warrant
> mention, IMO.
> Did you see the parsley!? Ghastly dried (when fresh is so readily
> available) and in such puny quantities that I have to wonder why bother?
> No one would miss it at that rate.
> It just seemed to have a slew of those type issues. IMNSHO

Hey I tried this recipe 5-6 times already and I get great results. Makes
me fell like I'm actually a gourmet chef All the other sauce recipes I
tried in the past only tells you "you need these ingredients and throw
everything in pot and wait". But this has a focus on detail and
technique. Now I'm a spaghetti sauce snob...I turn my nose to
store-bought sauce. But I still want to know why slowly stir in the sugar?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 21 Jan 2008 08:10:04a, Scott told us...

>> Oh good grief. Garlic powder? Hunts? yada yada yada. How sad that

How fast you add it seems irrelevant to me. Makes no sense. Sugar simply
dissolves.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 01(I)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Martin Luther King's Birthday
Freedom of the press is limited to
those who own one. --A.J. Liebling

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
3.184:

> On Mon 21 Jan 2008 08:10:04a, Scott told us...
>
>>> Oh good grief. Garlic powder? Hunts? yada yada yada. How sad that

> How fast you add it seems irrelevant to me. Makes no sense. Sugar
> simply dissolves.

Perhaps this is a recipe that has been translated several times. And to add
the sugar slowly means add some taste and add more if not to your taste.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 21 Jan 2008 08:25:32a, hahabogus told us...

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> 3.184:
>
>> On Mon 21 Jan 2008 08:10:04a, Scott told us...

>> How fast you add it seems irrelevant to me. Makes no sense. Sugar
>> simply dissolves.
>>

> Perhaps this is a recipe that has been translated several times. And to
> add the sugar slowly means add some taste and add more if not to your
> taste.

Could be.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 01(I)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Martin Luther King's Birthday
Death is nature's way of saying `Howdy'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott" > wrote in message
> Goomba38 wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> It uses real garlic as well as powder. Nothing wrong with that.
>>> And canned tomatoes are better than the tasteless store-bought
>>> tomatoes.
>>>
>>> The recipe was certainly long-winded, but it looks OK to me. I
>>> only skimmed it though.

>> The whole recipe instructions format is seriously annoying.
>> The ingredient brands weren't particularly special to even warrant
>> mention, IMO.
>> Did you see the parsley!? Ghastly dried (when fresh is so readily
>> available) and in such puny quantities that I have to wonder why bother?
>> No one would miss it at that rate.
>> It just seemed to have a slew of those type issues. IMNSHO

> Hey I tried this recipe 5-6 times already and I get great results. Makes
> me fell like I'm actually a gourmet chef All the other sauce recipes I
> tried in the past only tells you "you need these ingredients and throw
> everything in pot and wait". But this has a focus on detail and technique.
> Now I'm a spaghetti sauce snob...I turn my nose to store-bought sauce. But
> I still want to know why slowly stir in the sugar?

Why don't you try making two separate batches, adding the sugar fast to one
and slowly to the other. See if there's a difference. This way, you can stop
wondering. Please report back on the results. We'll be waiting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Scott" > wrote in message
>> Goomba38 wrote:

>>> The whole recipe instructions format is seriously annoying.
>>> The ingredient brands weren't particularly special to even warrant
>>> mention, IMO.
>>> Did you see the parsley!? Ghastly dried (when fresh is so readily
>>> available) and in such puny quantities that I have to wonder why bother?
>>> No one would miss it at that rate.
>>> It just seemed to have a slew of those type issues. IMNSHO

>> Hey I tried this recipe 5-6 times already and I get great results. Makes
>> me fell like I'm actually a gourmet chef All the other sauce recipes I
>> tried in the past only tells you "you need these ingredients and throw
>> everything in pot and wait". But this has a focus on detail and technique.
>> Now I'm a spaghetti sauce snob...I turn my nose to store-bought sauce. But
>> I still want to know why slowly stir in the sugar?

> Why don't you try making two separate batches, adding the sugar fast to one
> and slowly to the other. See if there's a difference. This way, you can stop
> wondering. Please report back on the results. We'll be waiting.

OK then...I'll do just that. Except I'm just using tomato sauce, I'm not
making 2 separate batches which I think is unnecessary. I'll have 2 pots
each with 16oz sauce. One I'll slowly stir in 1 tsp sugar and the other
just dump the sugar in. Let simmer for about 30 mins then taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott" > wrote in message
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>>> Hey I tried this recipe 5-6 times already and I get great results. Makes
>>> me fell like I'm actually a gourmet chef All the other sauce recipes I
>>> tried in the past only tells you "you need these ingredients and throw
>>> everything in pot and wait". But this has a focus on detail and
>>> technique. Now I'm a spaghetti sauce snob...I turn my nose to
>>> store-bought sauce. But I still want to know why slowly stir in the
>>> sugar?

>> Why don't you try making two separate batches, adding the sugar fast to
>> one and slowly to the other. See if there's a difference. This way, you
>> can stop wondering. Please report back on the results. We'll be waiting.

> OK then...I'll do just that. Except I'm just using tomato sauce, I'm not
> making 2 separate batches which I think is unnecessary. I'll have 2 pots
> each with 16oz sauce. One I'll slowly stir in 1 tsp sugar and the other
> just dump the sugar in. Let simmer for about 30 mins then taste.

Are you sitting down? The next tip may shock you. Ready?

You can freeze tomato sauce. Make a lot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> "Scott" > wrote in message
>> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>>> Why don't you try making two separate batches, adding the sugar fast to
>>> one and slowly to the other. See if there's a difference. This way, you
>>> can stop wondering. Please report back on the results. We'll be waiting.

>> OK then...I'll do just that. Except I'm just using tomato sauce, I'm not
>> making 2 separate batches which I think is unnecessary. I'll have 2 pots
>> each with 16oz sauce. One I'll slowly stir in 1 tsp sugar and the other
>> just dump the sugar in. Let simmer for about 30 mins then taste.

> Are you sitting down? The next tip may shock you. Ready?
>
> You can freeze tomato sauce. Make a lot.

Then I won't have use of that pot during that time. I think using
straight tomato sauce is better anyways because you don't have the other
spices interfering with the test results.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:

> Then I won't have use of that pot during that time. I think using
> straight tomato sauce is better anyways because you don't have the other
> spices interfering with the test results.

I'm going to add to my experiment chopped carrots.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 18, 9:15 am, "James Silverton" >
wrote:
> Scott wrote on Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:54:27 -0600:
>
> S> I came across a recipe for spaghetti sauce that when adding
> S> sugar to SLOWLY stir in the sugar. What happens when the
> S> sugar is instead dump into the sauce all at once and then
> S> mix well?
>
> We had a discussion about sugar in spaghetti sauce fairly
> recently and no one mentioned speed of addition. The amount used
> is usually not much and, like anything, should be stirred in
> thoroughly but I think the author of the recipe is adding
> unnecessary complications.

Sometimes people just repeat the way grandma did it without
considering the science. I watched a NYT instructional movie about
breadmaking and the baker insisted that it was important to fold the
dough over exactly 813 times, or some other such exact number.

Lobster

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>On Jan 18, 9:15 am, "James Silverton" >
>wrote:
>> Scott wrote on Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:54:27 -0600:
>>
>> S> I came across a recipe for spaghetti sauce that when adding
>> S> sugar to SLOWLY stir in the sugar. What happens when the
>> S> sugar is instead dump into the sauce all at once and then
>> S> mix well?
>>
>> We had a discussion about sugar in spaghetti sauce fairly
>> recently and no one mentioned speed of addition. The amount used
>> is usually not much and, like anything, should be stirred in
>> thoroughly but I think the author of the recipe is adding
>> unnecessary complications.

One of the things I have learned (and I cannot remember from where I
got this tip) is that when you salt, add some, then wait a few minutes
before you taste. That gives the salt a chance to disperse and
dissolve throughout the dish. Then taste...add more salt if
necessary, then wait again for it to dissolve and disperse before
tasting again.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote:
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>> Are you sitting down? The next tip may shock you. Ready?
>>
>> You can freeze tomato sauce. Make a lot.
>>

> Then I won't have use of that pot during that time. I think using
> straight tomato sauce is better anyways because you don't have the other
> spices interfering with the test results.

Huh? You freeze in pots? Haven't you heard of tupperware, or gladware,
or leftover plastic containers from the wonton soup you ordered last
week, or.... a gazillioin more practical and sensible ideas than putting
a pot of sauce in the freezer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> Scott wrote:
>> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>>> Are you sitting down? The next tip may shock you. Ready?
>>>
>>> You can freeze tomato sauce. Make a lot.
>>>

>> Then I won't have use of that pot during that time. I think using
>> straight tomato sauce is better anyways because you don't have the other
>> spices interfering with the test results.

> Huh? You freeze in pots? Haven't you heard of tupperware, or gladware, or
> leftover plastic containers from the wonton soup you ordered last week,
> or.... a gazillioin more practical and sensible ideas than putting a pot
> of sauce in the freezer.

This Scott unit....he's allowed to vote and procreate. Scary, eh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Scott wrote:

> > Then I won't have use of that pot during that time. I think using
> > straight tomato sauce is better anyways because you don't have the other
> > spices interfering with the test results.

> Huh? You freeze in pots? Haven't you heard of tupperware, or gladware,
> or leftover plastic containers from the wonton soup you ordered last
> week, or.... a gazillioin more practical and sensible ideas than putting
> a pot of sauce in the freezer.

Including plastic freezer Ziplocs or Hefty bags.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; check the second note and tell me if you
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Goomba38 > wrote:
>
>> Scott wrote:

>> > Then I won't have use of that pot during that time. I think using
>> > straight tomato sauce is better anyways because you don't have the
>> > other
>> > spices interfering with the test results.

>> Huh? You freeze in pots? Haven't you heard of tupperware, or gladware,
>> or leftover plastic containers from the wonton soup you ordered last
>> week, or.... a gazillioin more practical and sensible ideas than putting
>> a pot of sauce in the freezer.

> Including plastic freezer Ziplocs or Hefty bags.

Or even canning jars, although those are best used only by people who can
read instructions. "Leave sufficient headroom to avoid broken jars...."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Goomba38 > wrote:
>
>> Scott wrote:

>>> Then I won't have use of that pot during that time. I think using
>>> straight tomato sauce is better anyways because you don't have the other
>>> spices interfering with the test results.

>> Huh? You freeze in pots? Haven't you heard of tupperware, or gladware,
>> or leftover plastic containers from the wonton soup you ordered last
>> week, or.... a gazillioin more practical and sensible ideas than putting
>> a pot of sauce in the freezer.

> Including plastic freezer Ziplocs or Hefty bags.

I can't imagine using plastic bags to freeze any kind of liquid.
I'm sure I'd end up with the stuff all over the kitchen and me.

gloriap
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 22, 12:13*pm, Puester > wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > *Goomba38 > wrote:

> >> Huh? You freeze in pots? Haven't you heard of tupperware, or gladware,
> >> or leftover plastic containers from the wonton soup you ordered last
> >> week, or.... a gazillioin more practical and sensible ideas than putting
> >> a pot of sauce in the freezer.

> > Including plastic freezer Ziplocs or Hefty *bags.

> I can't imagine using plastic bags to freeze any kind of liquid.
> I'm sure I'd end up with the stuff all over the kitchen and me.
>
> gloriap

It works fine. I'm a terrible klutz, and I can manage to freeze
liquids like stock
or semiliquids like tomato sauce in plastic bags. I set the bag
upright in a
suitably sized vessel (we've got some enormous plastic tumblers) in
the
sink, put in the liquid (not too much), press out as much of the air
as
possible and pop it in the freezer. Big batches (e.g., spaghetti
sauce)
get laid on a tray before being taken downstairs to the behemoth
freezer.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:37:34 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Jan 22, 12:13*pm, Puester > wrote:

snippage

>> I can't imagine using plastic bags to freeze any kind of liquid.
>> I'm sure I'd end up with the stuff all over the kitchen and me.
>>
>> gloriap

>It works fine. I'm a terrible klutz, and I can manage to freeze
>liquids like stock
>or semiliquids like tomato sauce in plastic bags. I set the bag
>upright in a
>suitably sized vessel (we've got some enormous plastic tumblers) in
>the
>sink, put in the liquid (not too much), press out as much of the air
>as
>possible and pop it in the freezer. Big batches (e.g., spaghetti
>sauce)
>get laid on a tray before being taken downstairs to the behemoth
>freezer.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

I find freezing in plastic bags helps me save freezer space. After I
press out as much air as possible I place it in the freezer flat and
stack them.

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 1/20

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 22, 12:13�pm, Puester > wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > �Goomba38 > wrote:

> >> Huh? You freeze in pots? Haven't you heard of tupperware, or gladware,
> >> or leftover plastic containers from the wonton soup you ordered last
> >> week, or.... a gazillioin more practical and sensible ideas than putting
> >> a pot of sauce in the freezer.

> > Including plastic freezer Ziplocs or Hefty �bags.

> I can't imagine using plastic bags to freeze any kind of liquid.
> I'm sure I'd end up with the stuff all over the kitchen and me.

Just don't over fill them (leave generous space for expansion), they
also stack better when not too full, flat stacks better than plump.
Hmm, did I say that?

I actually prefer freezing liquids in those cheap rectangular lidded
containers, the type meant to be used once and thrown away, but I get
dozens of uses from them and I wash them in the dishwasher. Again,
don't over fill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 17:26:37 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, blake murphy wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 12:39:11 -0600, Scott > wrote:
>
>>JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

>>> Where did you see a recipe for t-sauce that includes grape jelly? Was this
>>> in a cookbook written by frontier grannies from Iowa?
>>>

>>It was Olive Garden's sauce recipe that I got from copykat.com a while
>>back. I can't find it on that site anymore but I did find something similar:
>>http://www.recipezaar.com/49409

>is there anything grape jelly can't do?

I found this interesting:
http://dvo.com/newsletter/monthly/20.../1003door.html
"When using canned tomato sauce, you still get the acid. To cut the acid
most people use sugar, which only makes the sauce taste sweet. To get the
sugar, but not the sweet taste I use grape jelly (NOT JAM). This is
especially good for people who have stomach or reflux problems. It cuts
the acid without changing the taste of the sauce. I learned this from my
mother while I was growing up. "

I have no idea if that's true. And I think it would change the taste.
Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Weller wrote:

>> is there anything grape jelly can't do?

> I found this interesting:
> http://dvo.com/newsletter/monthly/20.../1003door.html
> "When using canned tomato sauce, you still get the acid. To cut the acid
> most people use sugar, which only makes the sauce taste sweet. To get the
> sugar, but not the sweet taste I use grape jelly (NOT JAM). This is
> especially good for people who have stomach or reflux problems. It cuts
> the acid without changing the taste of the sauce. I learned this from my
> mother while I was growing up. "
>
> I have no idea if that's true. And I think it would change the taste.
> Doug

I'm thinking also that red wine has the same effect in that it
neutralizes the sweetness.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Scott wrote on Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:55:29 -0600:

??>>> is there anything grape jelly can't do?
??>> I found this interesting:
??>>
http://dvo.com/newsletter/monthly/20.../1003door.html
??>> "When using canned tomato sauce, you still get the acid.
??>> To cut the acid most people use sugar, which only makes
??>> the sauce taste sweet. To get the sugar, but not the sweet
??>> taste I use grape jelly (NOT JAM). This is especially good
??>> for people who have stomach or reflux problems. It
??>> cuts the acid without changing the taste of the sauce. I
??>> learned this from my mother while I was growing up. "
??>>
??>> I have no idea if that's true. And I think it would change
??>> the taste. Doug

S>I'm thinking also that red wine has the same effect in that it
S>neutralizes the sweetness.

As has been said ad nauseam before, it's highly unlikely that
red wine, sugar or even grape jelly can change the acidity but
it can *mask* an acid taste. You may have had a stick of rhubarb
dipped in sugar as a child or put sugar in lemon juice for
lemonade. The acid sensation is certainly stronger before using
the sugar.