Christine Dabney

Default Brunch at Margaret's! I will be there!!!!

Heya!

I have the date for the brunch written into my new contract: that I
need to be OFF!!! I will be in Rockville MD.

Margaret, I will be there!!!!

Now, can I hitch a ride with anyone coming from south of NYC?

Christine
Margaret Suran

Christine Dabney wrote:

> Heya!
>
> I have the date for the brunch written into my new contract: that I
> need to be OFF!!! I will be in Rockville MD.
>
> Margaret, I will be there!!!!
>
> Now, can I hitch a ride with anyone coming from south of NYC?
>
> Christine

Wonderful!!! I am looking forward to seeing you on Dec 6th.

Hugs, Margaret
Virginia Tadrzynski

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> Christine Dabney wrote:
> >
> > Heya!
> >
> > I have the date for the brunch written into my new contract: that I
> > need to be OFF!!! I will be in Rockville MD.
> >
> > Margaret, I will be there!!!!
> >
> > Now, can I hitch a ride with anyone coming from south of NYC?
> >
> > Christine

> Wonderful!!! I am looking forward to seeing you on Dec 6th.
>
> Hugs, Margaret

Should I send St. Nick? Dec. 6th is St. Nicholas Day....hubby dresses up
and visits all the good little boys and girls (often in the
hospital)....it's his feel good thing of the year. He ISN"T Santa, but St.
Nick in all his religious regalia.
-Ginny

Christine Dabney > wrote:
> Heya!

> I have the date for the brunch written into my new contract: that I
> need to be OFF!!! I will be in Rockville MD.

> Margaret, I will be there!!!!

> Now, can I hitch a ride with anyone coming from south of NYC?

I might be able to give you a ride from Philly, but I am not certain. I am
thinking that I might go up to NYC the day before to hit one or two
museums. Even without a ride, getting from MD to NYC is easy via Amtrak.
Just take the Metro into Washington to Union Station, then Amtrak up to
NYC, or you can do a combination of Amtrak and local rail to save on cost,
but the trip will take a lot longer.

Christine Dabney

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 04:38:18 GMT, Dog3 > wrote:

>Christine, I can't give a ride but I can offer shelter. I might do a
>pajama party at the hotel I'm staying in. I think that would be a hoot.
>
>Michael

It's okay. I will figure out how to get there, one way or another

Where are you staying? I haven't planned that far in advance. I just
found out I got the assignment in Rockville.

At this point, I am thinking of going up on Friday afternoon, and
staying through Sunday. Coming back late on Sunday.

This will be an experience for me, to say the least. The last time I
was in NYC, was about 21 years ago, for part of a day. Needless to
say, I didn't see or experience much.

Christine

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Virginia
Tadrzynski" > wrote:
(snip)

> Should I send St. Nick? Dec. 6th is St. Nicholas Day....hubby dresses up
> and visits all the good little boys and girls (often in the
> hospital)....it's his feel good thing of the year. He ISN"T Santa, but
> St.
> Nick in all his religious regalia.
> -Ginny

You should BRING St. Nick!
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Margaret Suran

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, "Virginia
> Tadrzynski" > wrote:
> (snip)
> >
> > Should I send St. Nick? Dec. 6th is St. Nicholas Day....hubby dresses up
> > and visits all the good little boys and girls (often in the
> > hospital)....it's his feel good thing of the year. He ISN"T Santa, but
> > St.
> > Nick in all his religious regalia.
> > -Ginny

> You should BRING St. Nick!

Ginny, We will celebrate St. Nikolaus Day at the brunch and you should
certainly come. Tangerines and walnuts painted in silver and gold for
the good guys, chunks of coal for the naughty ones. When I was
little, there was also a Krampus who accompanied St. Nikolaus. He
carried a large container with coal on his back and if you had been
especially naughty during the year, he might stick you into that coal
container and carry you off. St. Nick carried the little gifts.

If you were asleep when they came, you would find your gifts in the
morning, when you got your slippers. That's where the fruit or coal was
left.

On Christmas Eve or during the night, a beautiful Fairy came, the
Christkind, the Christ Child. She was accompanied by the
Weihnachtsmann, the Christmas Man, dressed up like Santa Claus. His job
was to carry a large bag filled with toys and gifts.

Barbara, do they still do anything like this in Slovakian homes in
Minnesota?

A market as you want to see when you come here, is traditionally called
a Christkindlmarkt, a Christ Child Market. Being Jewish, we were not
visited by anybody lie that during the Christmas Holiday season, but my
sister and I went shopping and looking at the Christkindlmarkt.

HUgs to both, Margaret

Dear Ginny and Barbara, This was sent to you last Thursday and just came
back today. My laptop is cursed. Everything I tried to mail out when
the SWEN messages were attacking me, is coming back now.
Jack Schidt®

"Margaret Suran" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > In article >, "Virginia
> > Tadrzynski" > wrote:
> > (snip)
> > >
> > > Should I send St. Nick? Dec. 6th is St. Nicholas Day....hubby dresses

up
> > > and visits all the good little boys and girls (often in the
> > > hospital)....it's his feel good thing of the year. He ISN"T Santa,

but
> > > St.
> > > Nick in all his religious regalia.
> > > -Ginny

> > You should BRING St. Nick!

> Ginny, We will celebrate St. Nikolaus Day at the brunch and you should
> certainly come. Tangerines and walnuts painted in silver and gold for
> the good guys, chunks of coal for the naughty ones. When I was
> little, there was also a Krampus who accompanied St. Nikolaus. He
> carried a large container with coal on his back and if you had been
> especially naughty during the year, he might stick you into that coal
> container and carry you off. St. Nick carried the little gifts.

Yep, I remember this; hey, but not carried off in the coal sack.

> If you were asleep when they came, you would find your gifts in the
> morning, when you got your slippers. That's where the fruit or coal was
> left.

'zactly; some chocolate too.

> On Christmas Eve or during the night, a beautiful Fairy came, the
> Christkind, the Christ Child. She was accompanied by the
> Weihnachtsmann, the Christmas Man, dressed up like Santa Claus. His job
> was to carry a large bag filled with toys and gifts.
>
> Barbara, do they still do anything like this in Slovakian homes in
> Minnesota?

They must; that's why the pirohy is triangular ;-P

> A market as you want to see when you come here, is traditionally called
> a Christkindlmarkt, a Christ Child Market. Being Jewish, we were not
> visited by anybody lie that during the Christmas Holiday season, but my
> sister and I went shopping and looking at the Christkindlmarkt.
>
> HUgs to both, Margaret
>

> Dear Ginny and Barbara, This was sent to you last Thursday and just came
> back today. My laptop is cursed. Everything I tried to mail out when
> the SWEN messages were attacking me, is coming back now.

Tim Challenger

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:30:14 -0500, Margaret Suran wrote:

> He
> carried a large container with coal on his back and if you had been
> especially naughty during the year, he might stick you into that coal
> container and carry you off.

Krampus is the one who punishes naughty children. He commonly has a stick
or bunch of twigs to punish the kids with (and grown-ups if you're out in
the evening and he comes around - people often dress up as Kramps and go
around the bars beating and whipping innocent customers - woe betide anyone
who complains).
St. Nikolaus does the good kiddies. But they often go around together so
the children don't know what they're going to get, a present or a
thrashing.
--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Margaret Suran

Tim Challenger wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:30:14 -0500, Margaret Suran wrote:
>
> > He
> > carried a large container with coal on his back and if you had been
> > especially naughty during the year, he might stick you into that coal
> > container and carry you off.

> Krampus is the one who punishes naughty children. He commonly has a stick
> or bunch of twigs to punish the kids with (and grown-ups if you're out in
> the evening and he comes around - people often dress up as Kramps and go
> around the bars beating and whipping innocent customers - woe betide anyone
> who complains).
> St. Nikolaus does the good kiddies. But they often go around together so
> the children don't know what they're going to get, a present or a
> thrashing.
> --
> Tim.

Where do you live? We have no Krampuses in New York. (

In Vienna, both the Krampus and St. Nikolaus went to visit the children
together and I always wondered how such a good and kind man as St.
Nikolaus had the heart to walk away from a home without leaving
something for the child who was punished with just a few lumps of coal.
And now that you mention it, I remember the "Rute", the switch the
Krampus carried. MS

Tim Challenger

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:25:26 -0500, Margaret Suran wrote:

> Tim Challenger wrote:

>> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:30:14 -0500, Margaret Suran wrote:

>>> He
>>> carried a large container with coal on his back and if you had been
>>> especially naughty during the year, he might stick you into that coal
>>> container and carry you off.

>> Krampus is the one who punishes naughty children. He commonly has a stick
>> or bunch of twigs to punish the kids with (and grown-ups if you're out in
>> the evening and he comes around - people often dress up as Kramps and go
>> around the bars beating and whipping innocent customers - woe betide anyone
>> who complains).
>> St. Nikolaus does the good kiddies. But they often go around together so
>> the children don't know what they're going to get, a present or a
>> thrashing.
>> --
>> Tim.

> Where do you live? We have no Krampuses in New York. (

Linz.

> In Vienna, both the Krampus and St. Nikolaus went to visit the children
> together and I always wondered how such a good and kind man as St.
> Nikolaus had the heart to walk away from a home without leaving
> something for the child who was punished with just a few lumps of coal.

Here, in hospitals etc, only St.Nikolaus comes round, but out in the
streets in the processions etc. he's normally accompanied.
In the evening Krampus is out on his own - but I think that might be on Dec
5th, the day before.

> And now that you mention it, I remember the "Rute", the switch the
> Krampus carried. MS

Right.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Margaret Suran >
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > In article >, "Virginia
> > Tadrzynski" > wrote: (snip)
> > >
> > > Should I send St. Nick? Dec. 6th is St. Nicholas Day....hubby
> > > dresses up and visits all the good little boys and girls (often
> > > in the hospital)....it's his feel good thing of the year. He
> > > ISN"T Santa, but St. Nick in all his religious regalia.

> > > -Ginny

> > You should BRING St. Nick!

> Ginny, We will celebrate St. Nikolaus Day at the brunch and you should
> certainly come. Tangerines and walnuts painted in silver and gold for
> the good guys, chunks of coal for the naughty ones.

I'm gettin' the coal. I just know it.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)