Old 12-01-2008, 11:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Attitudes toward dietary adversity

Hello folks,

I have been reading the posts of several among us that have dietary
problems... And many seem to be so limited by what they can eat, and
even what they will eat. That includes the picky eaters among all of
us...

I am curious about attitudes in all of this. I see some that say, no I
won't eat this and I won't eat that, but I will eat this and I love
it.. Some won't eat anything green (you know who you are!!) and some
won't eat raw veggies or salads.. Some won't eat turkey in any way
shape or form....Some won't eat chocolate that comes anywhere near
fruit....

And some just have too much trouble with certain foods..mostly
allergies. Sometimes phobias too.

So, I am interested in attitudes...and how you approach food.

I see some with the above limitations, whether they are physical or
whatever, say..I can't eat this..and constantly bemoan that they can't
or won't eat such and such...I see them as not trying to find choices
that they can love..Everything makes them sick or things just repulse
them... And they never let others forget it. And I see it as they let
fear rule their food choices, so that they never try anything new...
They won't eat this...they won't eat that..even if it tastes great and
it is something that they can eat.

And I see others...whom I admire greatly, who say...No, I can't eat
such and such, or I won't eat this..but this is what I love and I
can/will eat...and I will enjoy eating it..and I will enjoy the
challenge of adapting.. and I will have a great time with it. I will
forget what I can't have, and love what I can have. And I will make
the best of it.

I must admit I am predjudiced... I am not a picky eater, nor do I have
food intolerances..and I am pretty willing to try almost everything.
Even raw oysters if someone gives me enough wine before hand...a LOT
of wine!!...

I do have a weight problem, and I find I do best if I limit the carb
intake. But even within those guidelines, and within my budgetary
guidelines, I can usually find a lot of things to love. I take it as
a challenge to find things to fit what I love and can eat....

So what is your viewpoint in the face of culinary/dietary adversity?
Do you just bemoan it and say I can't have this or I can't have that?
Or do you take up the challenge and say I can't have this and that,
but I can have this and I will make what I can have and love, into
something good I love to eat?

Interested in your opinions, attitudes, etc..

Christine

Old 12-01-2008, 12:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" ha scritto nel messaggio
Hello folks,

I have been reading the posts of several among us that have dietary
problems... And many seem to be so limited by what they can eat, and
even what they will eat. That includes the picky eaters among all of
us...
So what is your viewpoint in the face of culinary/dietary adversity?
Do you just bemoan it and say I can't have this or I can't have that?
Or do you take up the challenge and say I can't have this and that,
but I can have this and I will make what I can have and love, into
something good I love to eat?

Interested in your opinions, attitudes, etc..

Christine

I will cook almost anything, but forgive myself for the things I don't want
to eat. I don't mind people not eating something I have made. One of my
closest friends is a Bhuddist and I happily alter menus to be sure he eats
well.

What I don't deal with is neuoses like food not touching etc. It just can't
be my problem. I make it, arrange it, garnish it and if someone blanches
because there was a cucumber rose touching his fish, it ain't my problem.
My possibly future SIL has been told he can't eat at my house (not by me)
because I do not allow retching at the table because it isn't Taco Bell.

--
http://www.judithgreenwood.com

Old 12-01-2008, 12:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

it ain't my problem. My possibly future SIL has been told he can't
eat at my house (not by me) because I do not allow retching at the
table because it isn't Taco Bell.

LOL I recall going to lunch at a Mexican restaurant with a co-worker (yeah,
get ready for the blast Jill posts because she didn't like her co-workers!)
She ordered tacos - I guess they sounded "safe" or something. When they
were served they contained shredded beef rather than the ground up mystery
meat they have at Taco Bell so she refused to even taste them. Okay, we
knew she was picky but *that* picky?! So we said hey, tell them you made a
mistake, you really wanted the cheese quesadillas instead; you like those,
right? She said yes she likes those but she didn't want to offend the
waiter. Huh? The waiter isn't going to bite your hand off if you ask for
something else. Long story short: we ate, she didn't.

Jill

Old 12-01-2008, 12:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
[...]

There are a few things I can't eat (I seem to have developed a wheat
intolerance as I've got older), but it hasn't really stopped me "eating
what I like"; there are plenty of other foods out there that I can eat,
so I don't miss white bread and pizza (too much). Of course, there are
also a few things I don't like e.g. cabbage veg but I still wouldn't
call myself a 'picky eater'.

I've tried some 'weird' foods in my lifetime too; one example is "mopane
worms". They looked rather ugly but tasted pretty good Warthog chops
are much better than pork, IMHO and of course I love ostrich meat too.
I love all kinds of seafood and shellfish, I eat beef, chicken (and
other poultry) and pork. Lamb is good too. I love most vegetables (did I
already mention how much I hate cabbage?)... Oh, and don't forget
venison (as in deer-type meat).

So. I've come to the conclusion that experimenting with recipes and
trying out different foods is one of life's little pleasures - for me
at least...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Seize the moment. Think of all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved
off the dessert cart.
- Erma Bombeck
Old 12-01-2008, 12:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney said...

[...]

I see what you mean. For me, I'll eat anything I can were I allowed.
Between gout, high blood pressure and diabetes and cholesterol, they cancel
out a lot of foods whether I like them or not.

I've given up carbs (complex and simple) to bring my tryglycerides down and
cut back on the boozing. When my triglycerides come down from 1500 to 120,
I'll have whole grain bread garlic bread and spaghetti with wine again. My
soy burgers sit on a bun of lettuce instead of a roll. There's not many
calories in lettuce but it solves a problem.

Processed foods are the worst. I've heard advice to shop the outside aisles
at the market for the healthy food and agree.

I'm not sold on organic everything, but hate food additives.

I did switch from olive oils to "Hains" brand of safflower oil. It has less
sat. fat. but more mono-unsaturated fat and less poly-unsaturated fat than
any olive oil. For diet, I'll take the healthiest fat over flavor. YMMV.

Andy
Today I weigh 118 lbs. From 247 (since May 28, 2007)

--
All Posts Blocked From: @yahoo|@gmail|@hotmail|@webtv|@aol

Old 12-01-2008, 01:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote in
:

So, I am interested in attitudes...and how you approach food.

I walk right up to it.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Old 12-01-2008, 01:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" wrote in
:

[...]

I like to eat my food 1 thing at a time. Usually it is the meat first.
Then the veggie and lastly the potato or rice. I don't understand these
folks who put a little of everything on their plate on a fork at the same
time and eat it. If I have a sidedish of mixed veggies I eat the sidedish
of mixed veggies, I just like to eat the food in a certain order. A bowl
full of stew or a noodle and meat dish doesn't cause me to get upset or
run screaming from the table. My food can be any colour as long as the
colour is appealing to me. An example day glow green mashed potatoes
wouldn't appeal to me or purple beef gravy.

Most of my life I lived in the same city so I haven't been exposed to
many changes in food so sometimes it takes me a while to get my mind
around to trying new things.

I believe culture plays big parts in what you will or won't eat. If all
you were used to is meat and potatoe dishes it can take a while to except
fish and rice dishes.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" wrote

So, I am interested in attitudes...and how you approach food.

You and I are much alike in our food attitudes and practices. I
eat a wide variety of foods, love trying new things, and have no
food allergies that I know of.

I avoid a lot of white flour and rarely eat sugar unless it is present
in fruit or prepared foods, and I don't eat many processed/prepared
convenience foods. (I avoid the white flour and sugar because I just
feel better when I eat less of them. I want the food I eat to count,
nutrition wise.)

I love fatty foods, especially dairy--cheese is a major favorite, but
I don't eat too much fat, because I am over 40 and don't want to
gain weight.

Liver (except liverwurst) and lima beans (except in vegetable beef
soup) along with all "organ" meats like hearts and stomachs and
such are the only things I will not eat. I grew up being served
liver and lima beans and my mother cooked chicken livers and
hearts. So I was exposed to them, and I just don't like them.

I am attracted to whole foods, like raw peppers and such, because
of the research I've seen in the last 20 years about alleged health
benefits in whole foods that are not in supplements--the whole
being more than just the sum of a food's parts, so to speak.

Just like when I was a smoker and switched to non-menthol
to cut back because I didn't like non-menthol cigs, I now
prefer raw vegetables, fruit, and yogurt to any kind of greasy
potato or corn chips. There's stuff that's bad for me that I
persist in eating, like popcorn loaded with butter, mmmm!
Something's going to kill me one day anyway, though. I'm
betting my head will explode one day from reading idiots
like Lou.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" wrote in message
Christine Dabney wrote in
:

So, I am interested in attitudes...and how you approach food.

I walk right up to it.

With my mouth open.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
Christine Dabney wrote in
:

So, I am interested in attitudes...and how you approach food.

I walk right up to it.

LOL good answer!

Old 12-01-2008, 03:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 12 Jan 2008 04:48:29a, Christine Dabney told us...

Hello folks,

I have been reading the posts of several among us that have dietary
problems... And many seem to be so limited by what they can eat, and
even what they will eat. That includes the picky eaters among all of
us...

I have absolutely no food allergies and I love to eat. I didn't balloon up
to nearly 300 pounds at one time for nothing! And it wasn't by eating junk
food. It wasn't easy getting back down to 180. :-(

I like or will try almost anything with very few exceptions. Most of you
know my intense dislike for turkey. I've eaten it many times but I simply
don't like the taste or the smell. I also don't care to eat certain "sea
creatures" or raw fish. That's it! I'm fair game for just about anything
anyone would prepare and serve.

There are a few things I haven't tried, like haggis, simply because I've
never been where those things were offered. And since I live with one of
the pickiest eaters on the planet, I just wouldn't bother making it for
myself. There are actually very few things in this category.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 01(I)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Infantry Rule #1: Never share your
foxhole with someone braver than you are.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 12 Jan 2008 05:54:56a, Andy q told us...

[...]

OMG, Andy, 118!?! You are truly an incredibly shrinking man!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 01(I)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
My cat is good for nothing, but he's
very, very good!

Old 12-01-2008, 05:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
3.184...
On Sat 12 Jan 2008 04:48:29a, Christine Dabney told us...

Hello folks,

I have been reading the posts of several among us that have dietary
problems... And many seem to be so limited by what they can eat, and
even what they will eat. That includes the picky eaters among all of
us...

I have absolutely no food allergies and I love to eat. I didn't balloon
up
to nearly 300 pounds at one time for nothing! And it wasn't by eating
junk
food. It wasn't easy getting back down to 180. :-(

Pfft, that's just what your HEAD weighs, moron slurper.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
3.184...
On Sat 12 Jan 2008 04:48:29a, Christine Dabney told us...

Hello folks,

I have been reading the posts of several among us that have dietary
problems... And many seem to be so limited by what they can eat, and
even what they will eat. That includes the picky eaters among all
of us...

I have absolutely no food allergies and I love to eat. I didn't
balloon up
to nearly 300 pounds at one time for nothing! And it wasn't by
eating junk
food. It wasn't easy getting back down to 180. :-(

Pfft, that's just what your HEAD weighs, moron slurper.

oooooooooooh kitty... that was horrid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 12 Jan 2008 10:41:56a, Ophelia told us...

cybercat wrote:
"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
3.184...
On Sat 12 Jan 2008 04:48:29a, Christine Dabney told us...

Hello folks,

I have been reading the posts of several among us that have dietary
problems... And many seem to be so limited by what they can eat, and
even what they will eat. That includes the picky eaters among all
of us...

I have absolutely no food allergies and I love to eat. I didn't
balloon up
to nearly 300 pounds at one time for nothing! And it wasn't by
eating junk
food. It wasn't easy getting back down to 180. :-(

Pfft, that's just what your HEAD weighs, moron slurper.

oooooooooooh kitty... that was horrid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Consider the source, O.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 01(I)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must reset their human's alarm
clock by walking on it.

Dietary ethics [email protected] Vegan 743 21-05-2013 06:17 PM
Dietary ethics [email protected] Vegan 0 03-07-2012 05:42 PM
A Soup With a Difference, Born of Adversity and Error RuskinGadets General Cooking 0 19-09-2008 09:09 PM
novices and attitudes BJ Sourdough 9 21-01-2007 03:43 PM
Thoughts about brining and risk of adversity Kent H. Barbecue 3 24-08-2004 01:16 AM