Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Attitudes toward dietary adversity

On Jan 14, 9:12*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> aem wrote:
> > On Jan 14, 7:20 am, "Ophelia" > wrote:

[snips]
> >> As you say with not reading posts, either do it or don't! We don't
> >> need you to complain1-

> > The OP to whom I responded asked, "what is your viewpoint." *I was
> > answering that question, not initiating a complaint. * * -aem

> But you spoke for others too!

That was certainly not my intent. If that's how you took it then my
writing and your reading were out of synch. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Jan 14, 9:12 am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>> aem wrote:
>>> On Jan 14, 7:20 am, "Ophelia" > wrote:

> [snips]

>>> The OP to whom I responded asked, "what is your viewpoint." I was
>>> answering that question, not initiating a complaint. -aem

>> But you spoke for others too!

> That was certainly not my intent. If that's how you took it then my
> writing and your reading were out of synch. -aem

My reading was not out of sync. If your writing was, then just say so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 14 Jan 2008 11:10:36a, Ophelia told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Ahh you see Wayne? You too can have a skin like silk
>>>

>> Yes, perhaps, but there are so many types of silk...antique, dupioni,
>> shantung, raw, an many others. God only knows what I might get! :-)

> You will be as beautiful as always)

<grin> Some antiques are quite beautiful!

Thankee!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 01(I)/14(XIV)/08(MMVIII)
'There are two means of refuge from
the miseries of life: music and cats.'
Albert Schweitzer

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Nathalie Chiva > wrote:

> On 13 Jan 2008 23:49:41 GMT, "Dan Goodman" > wrote:
>
> >Taste-bud differences. Some things taste bitter to some people but not
> >to others, for example.

> True. I'm over-sensitive to bitter, so for instance, even the new
> "sweet" grapefruits taste bitter to me. What does taste bitter to you
> which doesn't to others?

In my case it's celery, but that's a well-known genetic thing.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott W" wrote
>> The result is that I am now on a very low protein diet, this is not
> > being fussy, this is keeping my one remaining kidney for as long as I
> > can.
> > What does bother me are people who try to be helpful but don't have a
> > clue about what they are talking about.

>I use a lot of rice, mushrooms, curry dishes, with a bit of chili oil to
>give it some heat.
> onions, sweet bell peppers and more coconut milk

Scott, like to help with some recipes but I dont know that much on protein
levels of things like rice etc.
I snagged out the notes on what seems allowed. I gather potasium is also a
problem if too much but am unsure
what vegetables have high potasium other than you mention potatoes and i
recall bannanas are high. I know legumes (beans)
are protien high too.

If you could come back with a list of 'allowed' and perhaps a few more
common 'not allowed' I'd be happy to see what I have
that might be workable. I have 50,000 or so recipes here with the majority
aimed for scratch 'healthy' cooking (though
won't be aimed specifically as low-protien, I checked for that and nothing
catagorized that way).

I have one general idea and a few specifics to help with the lack of meat
flavoring.
- General- Many asian and Indian recipes are very low on meat. You'd have
to adjust as they tend to be bean (tofu or other) high to adapt the protien.

http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs10.htm <--- that showed up fast on a web
search as well as several other interesting sites.

If you are also sodium restricted, but can have up to 1500mg a day look into
the Datu Puti brand name of soy sauces for light use as a condiment.

-Datu Puti Soy sauce: serving size 1 TB, 310mg sodium, 'less than 1g
protein'. It's not advertized as 'low sodium' it just is and 1/2 that of
'low sodium kikkoman' but *much* better flavored. My husband is sodium
restricted and with reasonable portion control, we can fit this in our
cooking. Product of the Philippenes, widely sold in the USA. Says in the
write up 'high protein content' but that's a selling point there. At less
than 1g, shouldnt be too bad?

- Flying Horse 'Sweet chili sauce for chicken'. This is a thai style
containing: sugar, water, chili, garlic, modified corn starch, salt,
vinegar, xanthan gum. Product of Thailand. Serving size is 2ts, 300mg
sodium, 0g protein. The only problem with this one is at 2ts, it is too
small an amount. The 0g protein might be one 1g if you used 4 ts. If you
are allowed eggplant, try long slices of asian (those are the smaller less
bitter ones with edible skin) brushed with olive oil then brushed with this.

- Hon-Dashi fish soup stock, this packs a whollup of flavor in it's small
amounts used. Serving size 1/4 ts, 170mg sodium (all else is 0 at that
size). Usually you'd use 1 ts to 3-5 cups of liquid for a soup base. You'd
control this one with making up a batch with 1ts of the powder to 4 cups
liquid then you get only 1 cup. You can use that 1 cup as your rice making
water for a change of pace. This is useful if having problems locating a
stock that is low enough for you to use. If in doubt of the flavor, they
sell it in small packets so get the smaller one and try it. They may use
filler in some of the smaller packets. My box is a 1,000 serving box (big
box, we use it alot in cooking). Product of Japan. If the 1ts per 4 cups
water is too weak, make it stronger but control your total to 1/4 ts per
serving.

- Tiparos brand 'Patis' (fish sauce). Product of Thailand. Serving size
1tb, 690mg sodium, 2g protein (1%). This 1 TB is a HUGE serving, you will
want to actually use 1/4 ts at most in a dish for 2 people. A litle goes a
very long way! I use this by what I call a 'squizzle'. The top has a
pinhole and I squeeze out about 1/8-1/4 ts for use in a dish for 3 of us.
Sold by the pint (7oz) it will last us 3 years easy yet we use it about
twice a week. This has a strong fishy taste and is used to flavor foods
with a fish flavor when there isnt enough fish to go around.

All of the above are very *brand specific*. You may find better, but I
guarentee there are other brands which are going to be completely out of
your limits for sodium. Patis especially known for that. Other than the
swet chili sauce, these condiments are used to add a 'meaty flavor' to a
meatless dish for the most part.

2 more products but no brand name. These are commonly found in Asian
grocery type places.
- Niboshi- has other names. Little whole dried fish, they look like
dried guppies to a USA eyeball ;-) 2-3 sprinkled over a soup or in rice,
add quite a bit of flavor and interest. Portion control obviously needed
for you.
- Dried baby shrimp- lots of names, often spiced with chile oils before
drying to make them 'pink'. Check at the store first if they are loose in a
bin to see what they spiced them with at drying time. My local place has 2
bins, and one is salt free (MSG free too) and very spicy-hot, while the
other is a salty-sweet and slightly hot in a hungarian paprika sort of way.
Like Niboshi, a little can go a long way but notice as they are dried, their
protein amount per 'oz' would probably be alot higher than fresh? You'd use
2-3 in a soup or over rice with other 'furikake' seasonings.

1 more product, brand name not essential but mine is from Japan. Dynasty
brand. Seems sesame oil should be ok? You want the 100% roasted sesame
oil, not the mixed USA lighter version. A little goes a LONG way. Use by
the drop if not familiar with it, flavors vegetables. Lists as 0 for sodium
and protein.

Now, if I had a better idea of what veggies you are allowed and some idea of
serving sizes allowed, I can come back with some actual recipes?

Oh and for your poor starvilating wife <grin>, this is a perfect time to fix
her some of the meat types she loves and you *hate*. Like, I cant stand
liver so if i had to swap to a diet like this, Don would be getting liver as
I'd have zero temptation to eat it.

Hope this helps! Took a bit to grab all them bottles out of my kitchen and
check'em for ya. As you can see, I tend to asian cookery but more the far
east vice india.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote
> I certainly don't have a problem with it. It could be helpful to someone
> with a similar problem.

Same idea, also I find it interesting to look into what might be helpful.

BTW, the dashi-tofu-chinese broccoli-kangkoon (asian hollow stem spinach)
soup was a major hit at the soup kitchen. What they particularily liked was
i labeled it with sodium value and that it was diabetic acceptable and 200mg
sodium per 1 cup serving (which fits most sodium reduced diets if allowed
1500-2000mg a day). I only brought 1 gallon and it was snapped up in the
first 30 mins. I did not make it a strong fishy-dashi version, but a milder
one more suitable for the American palate. Not sure it would go over as
well inland, but this coastal area is quite prone to fish based soups and
they had missed them since the earlier fellow who used to bring it weekly,
died.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Scott W > said:

<snip>

> What does bother me are people who try to be helpful but don't have a
> clue about what they are talking about. It seems that almost everyone
> that finds out that I am on a limited protein diet suggest fish, I
> guess some people don't believe fish is a meat. Then there are the
> people who suggest tofu, great sure it is not meat but it is full of
> protein, which is after all what I am trying to avoid.

Go he

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

They used to have a small program that allowed you to search without
going through the site, but I can't find it now. Best of luck with
your health issues, Scott...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote:

> I have been reading the posts of several among us that have dietary
> problems... And many seem to be so limited by what they can eat, and
> even what they will eat. *That includes the picky eaters among all of
> us...
>
> I am curious about attitudes in all of this. I see some that say, no I
> won't eat this and I won't eat that, but I will eat this and I love
> it..
> So what is your viewpoint in the face of culinary/dietary adversity?

I can't eat wheat. I can't digest it, mild allergy. I figure if
there were
a famine I'd put up with the symptoms. If I get an accidental
exposure
like in cream-of-veggie soup then I put up with the symptoms. It's my
issue that I don't expect anyone outside of my direct family to
remember. As to attitude - I ignore the grocery aisle with that stuff
and I don't get why humans eat cattle fodder.

I won't eat moldy cheese, bell peppers, parsnips. More for you folks.
Give me most other cheeses (I like limburger okay but its sure not
my favorite), peppers that are hot, other types of roots. Same
comment about famines. As to attitude - Give me the cheese without
the mold, peppers properly bred to be hot, plenty of other types of
roots. I'll be careful about ordering in a restaurant but since I
can't
imagine anyone putting bell peppers in food I tend to forget to ask.
If I forget to ask I settle for picking the digusting things out
rather
than send it back.

I *should* not eat potatoes, corn. If I eat them I break out in fat.
I tend to eat them anyways but I go through phases of avoiding them
and then my weight drifts down. As for attitude - As long as you
don't think low fat is the only possible healthy diet we're cool.

In my case there aren't religious issues for diet. If it moves kill
it first then pray over the animal then eat it. If it fermented pray
first
for the miracle of fermentation then eat it. If it's a plant, pretty
much
the same issues. ;^)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Nathalie Chiva > wrote:
>
>> On 13 Jan 2008 23:49:41 GMT, "Dan Goodman" > wrote:
>>
>> >Taste-bud differences. Some things taste bitter to some people but not
>> >to others, for example.

>> True. I'm over-sensitive to bitter, so for instance, even the new
>> "sweet" grapefruits taste bitter to me. What does taste bitter to you
>> which doesn't to others?

> In my case it's celery, but that's a well-known genetic thing.

Celery is weird for me. I usually like it but I sometimes get it that is
horribly bitter. I've noticed that the bitter stuff gives off a scent of
maple syrup. I had assumed it was some sort of chemical they were spraying
on it, so I began buying only organic celery, but I still find it that way
sometimes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 14, 12:00*pm, (Little Malice) wrote:
> One time on Usenet, Scott W > said:
>
> <snip>
>
> > What does bother me are people who try to be helpful but don't have a
> > clue about what they are talking about. *It seems that almost everyone
> > that finds out that I am on a limited protein diet suggest fish, I
> > guess some people don't believe fish is a meat. *Then there are the
> > people who suggest tofu, great sure it is not meat but it is full of
> > protein, which is after all what I am trying to avoid.

> Go he
>
> http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
>
> They used to have a small program that allowed you to search without
> going through the site, but I can't find it now. Best of luck with
> your health issues, Scott...

I have used the above site and have downloading the stand alone app.

I'm also using http://www.calorie-count.com which seems to have much
of the same info but the searching seems easier.

These kind of sources make life a lot easier for sure.

Scott

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott W" > wrote
>I have used the above site and have downloading the stand alone app.

>I'm also using http://www.calorie-count.com which seems to have much
>of the same info but the searching seems easier.

>These kind of sources make life a lot easier for sure.

They are. I use the first one all teh time but never saw the one you posted.
Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 21:37:21 +0100, Nathalie Chiva
> wrote:

>On 13 Jan 2008 23:49:41 GMT, "Dan Goodman" > wrote:
>
>>Taste-bud differences. Some things taste bitter to some people but not
>>to others, for example.

>True. I'm over-sensitive to bitter, so for instance, even the new
>"sweet" grapefruits taste bitter to me. What does taste bitter to you
>which doesn't to others?

I've found that occasionally the skin of a home grown zucchini will
taste bitter. I haven't run across that with commercially grown stuff
though - go figger. If I had to bet, I'd bet on the opposite
scenario.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> Celery is weird for me. I usually like it but I sometimes get it that is
> horribly bitter. I've noticed that the bitter stuff gives off a scent of
> maple syrup. I had assumed it was some sort of chemical they were
> spraying on it, so I began buying only organic celery, but I still find it
> that way sometimes.

I've always assumed that it was a result of the climate changes while it was
growing that caused the tastes.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 14, 11:39*am, "cshenk" > wrote:
> "Scott W" wrote
>
> >> The result is that I am now on a very low protein diet, this is not
> > > being fussy, this is keeping my one remaining kidney for as long as I
> > > can.
> > > What does bother me are people who try to be helpful but don't have a
> > > clue about what they are talking about.

> >I use a lot of rice, mushrooms, curry dishes, with a bit of chili oil to
> >give it some heat.
> > onions, sweet bell peppers and more coconut milk

> Scott, like to help with some recipes but I dont know that much on protein
> levels of things like rice etc.
> I snagged out the notes on what seems allowed. *I gather potasium is also a
> problem if too much but am unsure
> what vegetables have high potasium other than you mention potatoes and i
> recall bannanas are high. *I know legumes (beans)
> are protien high too.
>
> If you could come back with a list of 'allowed' and perhaps a few more
> common 'not allowed' I'd be happy to see what I have
> that might be workable. *I have 50,000 or so recipes here with the majority
> aimed for scratch 'healthy' cooking (though
> won't be aimed specifically as low-protien, I checked for that and nothing
> catagorized that way).
>
> I have one general idea and a few specifics to help with the lack of meat
> flavoring.
> - General- Many asian and Indian recipes are very low on meat. *You'd have
> to adjust as they tend to be bean (tofu or other) high to adapt the protien.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott W" > wrote in message
Some changes I have had to make has made the food better. Costco has
a lobster bisque that I really like, problem was that a container of
it has 22.5 grams of protein, not real bad but higher then I would
like. So now I cook up some mushrooms, garlic, maybe a bit of onion
and bell peppers and add it to rice and a small amount of the Lobster
bisque. I like it like this better then just eating the soup, and it
cuts down on not just the protein but the salt as well.

Scott

I had wondered about adding to this wonderful bisque with some wonderful
vegetables. Now I'll give it a try. It is really, really rich by itself.

Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:33:57 +1300, Miche >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Nathalie Chiva > wrote:
>
>> On 13 Jan 2008 23:49:41 GMT, "Dan Goodman" > wrote:
>>
>> >Taste-bud differences. Some things taste bitter to some people but not
>> >to others, for example.

>> True. I'm over-sensitive to bitter, so for instance, even the new
>> "sweet" grapefruits taste bitter to me. What does taste bitter to you
>> which doesn't to others?

>In my case it's celery, but that's a well-known genetic thing.

Well, at least, celery doesn't taste bitter to me :-)

Nathalie in Switzerland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott W" wrote

> >> The result is that I am now on a very low protein diet, this is not
> > > being fussy, this is keeping my one remaining kidney for as long as I
> > > can.

(snips)
>> Hope this helps! Took a bit to grab all them bottles out of my kitchen
>> and
>> check'em for ya. As you can see, I tend to asian cookery but more the far
>> east vice india.

>Wow, what a lot of info, much thanks.

No problem! I assume you can google for 'low protien diet' as I did so wont
quote too much there, but here's a handy chart I'll add for my own
reference:
tvp 1/2 Cup/ 43 gms 23 gms of protein
(texturized vegetable protein)
meat - 1 oz 10 gms
cheese - 1 oz 10 gms
black eye peas - 1/4 Cup dry 9 gms
kidney beans - 1/4 Cup dry 9 gms
pinto beans - 1/4 Cup dry 7 gms
pasta - 2 oz uncooked 7 gms
soy milk 8oz./ 140ml 6 gms
peas - 2/3 Cup frozen 5 gms
potato - 5.5 oz 4 gms * high potassium
bread - 1 slice/oz whole wheat 3 gms
rice - 1/4 Cup uncooked 3 gms
corn - 2/3 Cup frozen 3 gms * high potassium
Try low protein recipes <-- search on
that.www.recipezaar.com/recipes/low-protein - 38k That one looks likely.>As
for potassium, it can be a problem, but I gather that as long as it>is not
too high in the blood it is not too much of a worry. Phosphorus>would seem
to be more of a worry, but easier to avoid. I went
offwww.kidney.org/ATOZ/atozItem.cfm?id=103 <--- go here for some really
good but unquotablelow potassium lists.I saw milk and milk products need to
be restricted both for protein and phosphorus.Suggested was to use older
firmer cheeses as they add more bang for the buck on flavor.>today to get my
potassium, phosphorus and calcium levels check, I>should have the results
tonight to tomorrow. Potatoes have a huge>amount of potassium, but you can
leach some of the potassium out by>soaking thin slices in water for a few
hours, just how much you can>get out no one seems to be saying.Yeah,
kidney.org talks about how to do it but doesnt say how much is leached
out.>Rice seems to be a very good base for low protein cooking, it does
not>have too much protein and also not all that much of other things
that>would be bad. But as with most things relating to diet and
kidneys>everything is backwards, white rice is preferred over brown rice.
If>I do a vegetarian rice dish I will normally come out at around 13>grams
of protein, add one ounce of meat and it is up to 20 grams,>which is the
most I would want to get in one meal. With just one>ounce of meat you can
pretty much leave it out and not tell the>difference in taste, so I am
eating far more vegetarian meals then I>ever thought I would.I noticed a
large number of veggies you need to avoid too. Those where due to
potassium,winter squashes etc (but summer ones seem ok>Some changes I have
had to make has made the food better. Costco has>a lobster bisque that I
really like, problem was that a container of>it has 22.5 grams of protein,
not real bad but higher then I would>like. So now I cook up some mushrooms,
garlic, maybe a bit of onion>and bell peppers and add it to rice and a small
amount of the Lobster>bisque. I like it like this better then just eating
the soup, and it>cuts down on not just the protein but the salt as
well.Excellent! Let me start another reply. Somehow the encoding of this
one is off and cant fix it without deleting the web page info

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott W" wrote
>As for potassium, it can be a problem, but I gather that as long as it
>is not too high in the blood it is not too much of a worry. Phosphorus

Ok back without all the odd stuff and green colors etc.
I note a discrepancy. One page had corn as ok, another as not ok. Possibly
different amounts of potassium 'allowed' for it. What is really hard, is to
hit a low potassium diet and a low protein one at the same time. Very
limited. Like you cant have brussel sprouts, *asian* cabbage, or cooked
spinach.

>would seem to be more of a worry, but easier to avoid. I went off
>today to get my potassium, phosphorus and calcium levels check, I
>should have the results tonight to tomorrow. Potatoes have a huge

Let me know what they say there? I have several recipes now in mind, all
low sodium, low protein, and low potassium, but it's a limited set. You
wouldnt want to live on it, but could be if they spark your interest, they
could be some of what you'd eat.

3rd message will be recipes <Grin>. They are based on mostly the 'National
Kidney Foundation' web page information. I wont know how to calculate the
exact amounts, but each will use just allowed things.

>Rice seems to be a very good base for low protein cooking, it does not
>have too much protein and also not all that much of other things that
>would be bad. But as with most things relating to diet and kidneys
>everything is backwards, white rice is preferred over brown rice. If

That would be due to the kernal. I suspect (but did not see it listed) that
you should stick to mostly processed (polished) long grains too. When I
post the recipes in the next message, you'll doubtless see mostly calrose
medium grain. This is the asian standard 'sticky rice' and it is supposed
to be higher in protein. Please adapt to one more suitable ok? Then ask
and see if the dietician knows. If you have to eat alot more rice than is
your normal bent, and sticky (medium grain) turns out ok for you, then
you'll find it has more flavor which is why it is so well valued in Asian
cookery.

>I do a vegetarian rice dish I will normally come out at around 13
>grams of protein, add one ounce of meat and it is up to 20 grams,
>which is the most I would want to get in one meal. With just one

Ok, so we look to under 20g of protein for any meals. I think I can get
well under that.

>ounce of meat you can pretty much leave it out and not tell the
>difference in taste, so I am eating far more vegetarian meals then I
>ever thought I would.

Depends on what the meat is. Good thing I am 'asian trained' after 6.5
years in Japan. Meat there, is often just used as a garnish.

Other than trying to hit heart healthy levels, I will presume no particular
problem with fats so that a 2ts amount of bacon fat per serving would be ok.
How much potassium would be in that, would depend on the type of cure.

Since I don't know what foods you actively dislike, I can't avoid them
<grin>. I suggest though that you 'experiment' with new ones if any are on
the 'good lists' you will see on the web, but arent familiar to you.

Ok, off to go strip out some recipes for ya.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(fixing that mess, it wasnt readable)

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Scott W" wrote

> (snips)
>>> Hope this helps! Took a bit to grab all them bottles out of my kitchen
>>> and
>>> check'em for ya. As you can see, I tend to asian cookery but more the
>>> far
>>> east vice india.

>>Wow, what a lot of info, much thanks.

> No problem! I assume you can google for 'low protien diet' as I did so
> wont quote too much there, but here's a handy chart I'll add for my own
> reference:

> tvp 1/2 Cup/ 43 gms 23 gms of protein
> (texturized vegetable protein)
> meat - 1 oz 10 gms
> cheese - 1 oz 10 gms
> black eye peas - 1/4 Cup dry 9 gms
> kidney beans - 1/4 Cup dry 9 gms
> pinto beans - 1/4 Cup dry 7 gms
> pasta - 2 oz uncooked 7 gms
> soy milk 8oz./ 140ml 6 gms
> peas - 2/3 Cup frozen 5 gms
> potato - 5.5 oz 4 gms * high potassium
> bread - 1 slice/oz whole wheat 3 gms
> rice - 1/4 Cup uncooked 3 gms
> corn - 2/3 Cup frozen 3 gms * high potassium

> Try low protein recipes <-- search on
> that.www.recipezaar.com/recipes/low-protein - 38k That one looks likely.

> www.kidney.org/ATOZ/atozItem.cfm?id=103 <--- go here for some really
> good but unquotablelow potassium lists.

>I saw milk and milk products need to be restricted both for protein and
>phosphorus.Suggested was to use older firmer cheeses as they add more bang
>for the buck on flavor.

>today to get my potassium, phosphorus and calcium levels check, I should
>have the results tonight to tomorrow.

Let me know ok?

> well.Excellent! Let me start another reply. Somehow the encoding of this
> one is off and cant fix it without deleting the web page info

Man did it come back messed up! Sorry all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Attitudes toward dietary adversity, warning LONG post!

"Scott W" wrote

Ok, here's a ream of possibles. Warning this is not a short post! I found
25 recipes on a simple search of my own catagory for ya for now.

Look 'Adaption:' for notes to adapt them as some of them in the raw recipe
have to be shifted for your use. Also, you will see meat in some of these,
but used more at the garnish level. If you look at the number of servings,
that will become apparent. You'll see things like 1/2 cup shrimp, but then
you'll see 4 servings or you'll see more shrimp but a note that it adapts
down to 1/2 cup with the rest being the same.

Quite a few will have notes on possible potassium levels but you don't have
the results yet for that test so I'll just annotate that best as I can. On
a few things, I do not know the potassium potential so mentioned that.

The sodium levels are acceptable if you use the Datu Puti brand but not if
you use kikkoman etc.

They are in the order from my MM database, so the first few are actually not
the main ones you'd be looking for <grin>. The 'serve with' suggestions you
will see, have NOT been looked at or commented on if they are acceptable,
just the base recipe and it's ingredients.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Carribean Crock
Categories: Crockpot, Caribbean, Xxcarol, Beans
Yield: 12 Servings

1 ea Bag 16 oz dry beans
3 ea Left over rib bones (knawed)
2 sm Onions, chopped
1/2 c Green onions, chopped
1 c Green beans, fresh! whole
1 tb Chinese 5 spice
2 qt Water, or 'to fill pot'

Simply delicious! If you love baked beans but cant take the sugar
levels, this is for you. The meat is optional but a nice touch. The
dried beans can be almost any type, but suggested a Kidney, red
beans, pink beans, pinto, black beans, or a mix of the above for a
true fiesta pot.

Just dump it all in and let it cook.

Optional additions a Pretty colored peppers added near the end of
the cooking cycle, fresh tomatos (Italian work best due to firmness),
ripe black olives (dont use green), pecans, whole grapes.

Serve this with thin toasted slices of baby bagels or a rye toast,
and just a hint of fine white cheese such as gryere or brie.

Nutritionally complete, low in fat, low in sodium pending on the
additions, suitable for diabetics and dieters.

From the kitchen of: xxcarol From: Carol Shenkenberger Date: 09-20-99
Recipes

Adaption- use 1/2 the amount of dried beans. For the meat bones, you can
use 2 small ox tail portions. These are sold precut and will have about
1.5 oz
meat and a center core of marrow. Feel free to add lots of green bell
pepper
as that works wonderful in this.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Sock Stock (Fish)
Categories: Xxcarol, Soups, Low-fat, Japanese
Yield: 12 Servings

2 lg Cotton tube socks
3 lb Fish bones/heads/tails/fins
2 Sliced carrots
2 md Sliced onions
2 Sliced stalks celery
1 Bay leaf
2 Crushed garlic cloves
6 Peppercorns
1/2 ga Water (or more)

Ok, Socks! Yikes! What's she up to now? I aint eatin socks!

No dear. The socks are clean (never been worn) bought just for
holding delicate fishbones. I tuck as much as comfortably fits then
pin it closed and use it to make sure the bones dont get lost in the
food.

Now the stock above is a sample basic fish stock. How much water is
added depends on how strong you want it. I would start with 1/2
gallon. Many people also add a cup of white wine to this. Me, I add
shoyu (soy sauce) and chinese 5 spice or ginger. Frequently I add
seaweed shredded and then use this in place of my basic dashi.

From the kitchen of: xxcarol From: Carol Shenkenberger Date: 05 Sep
98 From: Greg Mayman Date: 08-10-00 Cooking

Adaption- not needed. If your wife likes fish, just save the heads and
tails etc. This one may not be optimal for daily use but should be
ok for special times. And no, you can use something other than 'socks'
such as a fine mesh bag or some cheesecloth <grin>.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Carol's Gizzard soup
Categories: Xxcarol, Low-fat, Soups, Diabetic, Chicken
Yield: 4 Servings

1 ea Set of gizzards from chicken
1 1/2 c Water
1 ts Cumin
1 ts Salt
1 ts Pepper
1 Dash tobasco

Ok, what to do with them gizzards ya got stowed away from all them
chickens ya cooked?

This one is flexible. I showed cumin this time, but chinese 5 spice,
or just about anything else will do. Ok, oregano would be awful but
you hopefully have the idea! Remove the skin and as much fat as
easily done then:

Toss it in the pot and boil it for 2 hours on low simmer. From: Carol
Shenkenberger Date: 01-16-00 Cooking

Adption not needed but explaining is. This is 1 neck, 1 liver, and one
'gizzard' from a small chicken. Make rice and put about 1/4 cup rice in a
bowl
then pour this over it. It's 4 servings of a small size or 2 healthy
ones.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Magic Leeks!
Categories: Appetizers, Diabetic, Low-fat, Vegetables, Xxcarol
Yield: 6 Servings

2 ea Whole bunches of leeks
1 tb Soy sauce (shoyu)
1 tb Worstershire sauce
Olive oil, light drizzle
1 ts Black pepper
1 ts Salt

Ok, chop them washed leeks up. Get all the dirt out. Now mix the
seasonings (sans oil) and put that in a reclosable baggie. Shake'em
up and down (or side to side if you prefer). Add a drizzle of olive
oil to a pan and either fry them tender, or bake at 350 degrees for
20 mins. Dont let them get cold or the magic leeks out!

Suitable as a side dish to anything that would be complemented by
onions. Nice little 'knosh' all by themselves on a late night for a
dieter.

From the kitchen of xxcarol From: Carol Shenkenberger Date: 05-22-01
Cooking

Adaption: I could not find potassium for leeks. Some greens are ok, kale
is
but do not know on leeks. Omit worstershire if the sodium is too high.
I'd check
my bottle for that but Don's napping and I cant get to the kitchen without
waking
him, sorry!

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Soy Onions
Categories: Appetizers, Misc, Xxcarol
Yield: 4 Servings

2 lg Onions- vidalia preferred
2 tb Butter or olive oil
2 tb Shoyu or soy sauce

Melt butter and dot on cut onion. Cook in microwave 4 mins on
medium. Add soy sauce and let stand 3 mins then serve.

From: xxcarol

Note: this makes a fine side dish for most meals and is perfect for
almost any barbaque. It can also be made with 1/2 the fat/oil added
and still taste wonderful! From: Carol Shenkenberger Date: 05-27-00
Cooking

Adaption: Not needed but must use datu puti brand soy or one even lower.
Can use 1/2 the soy listed but most of it will 'leak out'. Use just olive
oil in
your case to reduce the milk proteins and other things in milk you are
supposed
to go easy on. Just not needed here so save your allotment for where it
counts.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Pan fried Gobo and Carrot, xxcarol
Categories: Xxcarol, Japan, Vegetables
Yield: 8 Servings

1/2 lb Gobo, peeled and slivered
1/2 lb Carrots, slivered
2 tb Cooking oil
2 tb Shoyu (Soy Sauce)
1 tb Sake
2 ts Toasted sesame seeds (opt)
Su water for soaking

Here's one thing I found to do with Gobo (Burdock Root). Peel and
slice the gobo into pencil like shavings, dropping those into 'su'
water right away to keep them fresh. (2-3 tablespoons vinigar to a
quart of water is su water). Chop the carrots to the same pencil
shavings, then heat oil and add both. Stir constantly over high heat
for 2-3 minutes then glaze them by adding the shoyu, mirin, and sake.
Continue to cook about 4 mins or so the place on a plate and garnish
with the sesame seeds.

From the kitchen of: xxcarol in Japan

Adaption: I could not find the potassium level of gobo (burdock root).
Sake is 'rice wine'. In this case, white rum or vodka will do. Can use
just
2 ts of the alcohol for good effect. Can omit the alcohol with fine but
different results.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Simmered Summer Squash
Categories: Xxcarol, Japan, Soups
Yield: 4 Servings

1 lb Winter squash- Butternut
3 c Dashi or chicken stock
7 tb Sugar
1/4 c Lite soy sauce (Shoyu)

From my book on cooking in Japan, a winter winner! The picture shows
a lovely cut of the squash to look like a leaf in autumnal colors.

You cut the squash into shapes, removing all peel so they do not lose
their shape. Put the Dashi (or chicken stock if you prefer that over
dashi), and sugar in a pan and set to boil. Add the cut squash and
reduce to a simmer for about 7 minutes. Turn the squash pieces over,
then add the shoyu and continue cooking til all is tender.

Serve warm with some of the broth. Reserve the rest of the broth for
another meal.

From the Japan kitchen of: xxcarol, 26DEC2003

Adaption: humm, just noted the titel and ingredients dont really match.
Caution, winter squashes are listed as higher potassium but yellow summer
and zukes are ok. The soy sauce (Shoyu in Japanese) can be cut to 3/4 TB
and the sugar to 2 TB. Save the excess broth and use that for 1/2 your
rice water
next time. Lovely stuff.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Su Water
Categories: Xxcarol, Japan
Yield: 1 Servings

9 x Water
1 x Vinegar

Su water is a mix of vinegar and water, used in japan to tenderize
vegetables. 10-20% vinegar is added to water.

This refreshes vegetables or keeps freshly cut ones of a starchy
nature from turning brown/grey before cooking and while chopping the
rest.

From the kitchen of: xxcarol in japan

Adaption not needed, added only because of the gobo recipe using it

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Homemade Udon
Categories: Xxcarol, Japan, Pasta
Yield: 8 Servings

4 c All purpose flour, or wheat
1 ts Salt
1 ea Egg yolk

So simple! It has one more ingredient, cold water. These are the
home noodles of Japan and much of the orient.

Sift the flour and salt together into a large bowl then add the yolk
and enough water to make a stiff paste. Kneed this completely then
let sit for about 30 mins or so. Sprinkle a board and rolling pin
with more flour then roll it out thin as possible. Roll up the
flattened noodle and cut to long thin strips (about 8 to an inch). To
cook, just boil in salted water or in Japanese fish broth (called
Dashi).

To kick this up a tad, you can add some powdered wasabi to the flour,
about a teaspoon. This won't make them 'hot' or bitter, but add just
a tang.

From the Japan kitchen of: xxcarol, Sasebo Japan, 25May2003

Adaption: Not needed unless you know something I do not? I use the
premade stuff but it has more salt that way. These critters are fun to
make
with kids. You may want to see if you can use rice flour vice wheat.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Japan Coleslaw
Categories: Salads, Xxcarol, Japan
Yield: 3 Servings

3 c Nappa cabbage, shredded
1 c Brussels sprouts
1/2 c Daikon radish; grated
1 lg Carrot; grated
1/2 c Celery
1/4 c Minced onion
3 tb Hot/Sweet Mustard or Mirin
5 tb Mayonnaise

I love coleslaw and here is a slight variation based on what is
available in Japan. Note you can make it with hot-sweet mustard or
Mirin.

Mix it all together after chopping the ingredients finely or grating
them. Let set for an hour so so to let it develop.

From the Sasebo Kitchen of: xxcarol

Adaption: Brussels and Nappa (chinese) cabbbage are both higher in
potassium
so if the tests say to reduce that, omit the brussels and use instead a
mix of regular
head cabbage in green and red (both on the ok list). Was unable to find
daikon
but radishes are listed as ok. Daikon is basically a very large radish.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Sardine Snack Attack
Categories: Xxcarol, Japan, Seafood, Snacks
Yield: 1 Cup

1 c Dried sardines - niboshi
2 tb Shoyu (soy sauce)
1 tb Sake
1/2 ts Lemon juice

These little fellers are sold all over the place here in Sasebo! This
is the munchie of the pacific when one is tired of rice crackers.
Serve them with beer for a football game and watch'em disappear!

'Toast' the sardines in a good heavy dry skillet for a few seconds
then combine the rest and add it. Cook a few seconds longer until
the liquid is absorbed then serve.

Note: I actually use Mirin and omit the extra sugar and the lemon.

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol

Adaption: Portion control. You can fast pan-fry up just a 3 TB amount
then
save it and use a few for garnish. Some prefer it without the sake and
thats fine.
For 3 TB niboshi, use 2 ts datu puti soy and whatever level of lemon you
like.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarols Japan 'Rice Soup'
Categories: Xxcarol, Soups, Japan
Yield: 16 Servings

2 qt Chicken stock
3 c Dry rice, calrose
1/2 c Chopped green onions
1/2 c Chopped bok choy (cabbage)
1/2 c Shrimp meats, deshelled
1/2 c Mussels or clams, deshelled
1/4 c Chopped squid
1/4 c Octopus chopped
1/2 c Shredded carrots
2 oz Shreaded dry nori (seaweed)
1 tb Dry parsley
1 ts Black pepper

I've had this many times here in Japan but cant find the recipe typed
up anyplace. It's very close though to 'congee'. To serve this
right, you need a metal or very thick pottery pot with a lid and
several small bowls to serve it out in to each person. Heat the pot
by filling with hot water from the sink, and place the cover over it.

Place all the ingredients in a soup pot and let boil for 10 mins, then
serve in the preheated dinner pot.

Add raw eggs to the dinner pot and let them cook in the liquid as you
serve dinner. How many is up to you, but 6 would be normal for a 12
person dish. As this is made to be served 8 people at a time, you'd
add 4 and next meal, another 4.

The meats are all pretty much precooked and all veggies are fine
chopped or shredded. The squid can be all just the left over
tentacles and that is actually perfect for using them up. If you do
not have octopus, use more squid. The reverse also works.

Excellent place for any leftover seafood type as long as it is deboned
first. Little balls of Kamaboko (fish paste) work really well here.
The key is lots of different things, not too much of any one.

Optional additions run into the hundreds but these are good ones:
Tofu in small cubes, mild white cheese added at the serving time
(small chunks that melt in the almost boiling serving dish as the raw
eggs cook), chili powder of choice at the serving table, edamame (soy
beans, fresh), spinich.

Serving suggestions: With hard crusty bread, hot tea, and fresh
cucumbers.

From the Japan kitchen of: xxcarol 23May2005

Adaption: Before you freak, note this is 1.5 cups of 'meats' in a 12 cup
or so
dish. You can adjust the types of meats but the recipe as listed is
'authentic'
as they always have lots of little bits of various things. The real
recipe when
made there can have as many as 30 different 'tid-bits'. The Bok Choy may
not be acceptable if the potassium tests show you need to keep that down.
Can be adapted to kale or regular head cabbage or a bit of both if the
bok choy isnt a good idea.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's simply kangkoon
Categories: Xxcarol, Vegetables, Japan
Yield: 2 Servings

1 lb Fresh kangkoon
2 c Chicken broth
2 ea Sqizzels Patis (Tiparos)
1/2 tb Spiced Vinegar
2 ea Whole peeled garlic cloves

This is a very time honoured way to fast make a side dish in a place
where normal dinner has at least 5 items. You cant after all, spend
30 mins on each of them or your family would starve!

One thing folks in the orient do, is 'spice' the boiling water for
veggies and there's an easy way to do this repeated here. It really
does make a difference so try it if you have not. The simplist
version will take a mere 2 mins.

Take 2 cups of chicken broth or mild dashi or if neither is handy,
can use 2 cups water and 2 chicken bullion cubes and place in pot.
Add the rest and simmer for at least 5 mins. Can be simmered longer
with no ill effect or just turn the heat off and place the pot to the
side in the hot broth so you can use the burner for something else
like a japanese housewife would do. She'd use 'kangkoon' which is a
spinach type tasting item not enough different from other types to be
notable this time. Use the leaves and not the hollow stems. (save
the stems for a soup).
American fusion addition: Add a dab of butter
to the serving.

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol 8JUL2006

Adaption: Kangkoon is also called Kang Kong and a few other things. It's
hollow stemed asian spinach. Can use any other type of spinach.
Potassium
note again, spinach whe cooked isnt low potassium. For the broth, if the
chicken type is too high and you like the dashi, use that instead.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Carol's Baked Squash
Categories: Low-fat, Vegetables, Xxcarol
Yield: 4 Servings

4 ea Summer yellow squash
1/4 c Lowfat cottage cheese
1/4 c Tofu, soft
1 lg Onion, chopped rough
1 ea Carrot, chopped small
1 ea Green pepper, chopped pretty
1 ts Anise
Salt and pepper to taste

Ok, this isnt haute cuisine, but it's tasty and not high in calories.
Due to the other indredients being 'fat-free' the 1/4 cup cottage
cheese makes it high fat percentage, but actually a decent meal deal
on fats because that 1/4 cup is split 4 ways. Bake at 350 degrees
for about 1 hour.

An alternative to Anise as a spice is: Cumin, celery seeds, or
chinese 5 spice. You can omit all the spices if desired and serve
with a little bottle of tobasco sauce at the side.

Goes well with: Baked chicken, pork chops, or a simple cold boiled
shrimp dish.

From the kitchen of xxcarol

Adaption: Omit the tofu for you. It will be fine without it.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Curried Apples and Shrimp, xxcarol adapt
Categories: Seafood, Fruits, Shrimp, Xxcarol
Yield: 4 Servings

1 ea Med Onion, red, chopped fine
1/2 c Daikon, shred or fine chop
4 tb Butter or Margarine
2 ea Apples, sliced
3/4 ts Curry Powder
2 ts Flour
3/4 c Water
1 ea Chicken Bouillon Cube
3/4 lb Med Shrimp, shelled & cleane
1/4 ts Patis (optional)

Saute onion and daikon in butter for 2 minutes. Add apple slices and
saute another minute. Blend in curry and flour, add bouillon cube and
water, stirring until well blended. Add shrimp, cover and simmer for
3 minutes, or until shrimp in no longer translucent.

This is excellent alone as a side dish in a small bowl or served with
rice as part of a meal. Adapted from a nameless recipe in my MM
database, I optionally add a 'squizzle' of patis. Caution note, a
little goes a long way with patis so do not add too much especially
in this dish.

Optional additions: The origonal used celery in place of the
daikon.
A mild chile pepper would not be amiss.

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol 29APR2006

Adaption: I've made this with as little as 1/2 cup shrimp bits or just
garnished it
with a few dried shrimp and a niboshi or 3 when I was out of shrimp. I'd
make
this without any shrimp then use just a few dried (shrimp or niboshi or
both) at
serving time. If dried shrimp or niboshi are hard to find or dont sound
like
something you'd like, this one takes well to just 1-2 'medium' (50-60
count)
frozen peeled shrimps minced up and on top as a garnish. Possibly a fine
dish
without any meat garnish but havent tried it that way. Patis reminder,
that was
the Tiparos brand. Most of the seafoody meat flavor comes from the patis.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Skillet Slaw for 2
Categories: Salads, Vegetables, Xxcarol
Yield: 3 Servings

1 sl Bacon
2 tb Onion, fine chopped
1 tb Vinigar
1 tb Water
1 1/2 ts Sugar
1/4 ts Salt
ds Black pepper
2 c Cabbage, finely shredded
1 sm Apple, peeled and chopped
1/4 c Sour cream

Cook the bacon strip until crisp, and save the bacon drippings.
Remove
finished bacon and add the onions, cooking for about 2 mins.
Now add the vinegar, salt, water, pepper, sugar and bring to a boil.
Add the slaw and apples and toss to coat. Cook until the cabbage
wilts (about 6 mins). Stir in the sour cream and serve topped with
the crumbled bacon.

From the kitchen of: xxcarol

Adaption: Dont top with the crumbled bacon if you do not want to but pass
it
to your poor meat starved wife <g>. Check on the sour cream, might be
higher
than you are supposed to use but seems with 3 servings it might be 'ok
levels'.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Fast-n-Dirty Rice
Categories: Xxcarol, Rice, Seafood, Diabetic
Yield: 8 Servings

2 c Dry medium grain rice
4 1/2 c Water
1 tb Blackened pepper seasoning
1/2 c Chopped raw squid
1/2 c Shredded cabbage (not packed

This is a simple timesaver for those of us used to making rice all
the time in a ricemaker, and looking for a little variation. It is
not 'classic' dirty-rice.

Vary the amount of water and rice according to your rice maker's
directions. The rice type should be a medium grain 'sticky rice' like
Calrose or an aromatic like Basmati.

The blackened-pepper seasoning should be mostly spice (IE: little
salt or salt free). There are many variations on this spice and they
all work well. If you do not have a mix handy, use 1/2 TB black
ground pepper and 1/2 TB mixed 'anything else you like to make up 1/2
TB'. Comino seeds, chinese 5 spice, and a bit of garlic powder are
good choices for that.

On the chopped squid, make it small bits no bigger than 2 times the
size of your thumbnail and no smaller than a thumbnail. If you also
have some catfish or pink snapper, add 1/4 cup of roughly 1 inch
cubes.

The cabbage is optional and there mosty for making it look 'pretty'.
Strips of bok choy or KangKoon work well, but any type will do. Dont
add more than 1/2 cup loosely packed. You can also mince up a single
brussel sprout and hit this dish perfectly.

Place it all in the rice maker, stir a bit to mix, and turn it on.
Depending on your rice maker, 10-15 mins later it's ready to serve.

Serving suggestions: This is a basic 'go with' dish that is fast and
easy. Excellent to add a scoup to a bowl then pour gumbo soup over
it. Also, makes a really good rice bed to place a fast
butter-pan-fried fish on. It is low-sodium, low-fat, and low-cal.
Leftovers are perfect for 'fried rice'.

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol 18SEP2005

Adaption: None needed except dont use the option to up the fish over 1/2
cup.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Fried Rice
Categories: Xxcarol, Rice
Yield: 2 Servings

2 c Leftover sticky rice
2 tb Butter
3 tb Olive oil
3/4 c Chopped broccoli
1/2 c Chopped califlower
2 ts Patis

This is a fast fix with much variation possible. I make this very
rarely so MM'd this one based on what I had handy. We had a big
lunch with a good 9oz each of seafoods. The rice was the leftover
parts mixed with a bit of shrimp that was used to stuff a squid. I
wasnt even remotely hungry yet again, when the 'child alarm' went
off. (Mom, whats for dinner? ARGH!).

So, I looked in the fridge and what did I see? A container of rice
with shrimp bits galore! I spied also a platter of veggies, about to
expire, and so the meal was about to be true epicure!

Toss the butter in a frying pan, with the oil and the veggies, and
then grab the leftover rice and dump it in. Sprinkle Patis (fish
sauce) and if you like, just before done, add a raw egg and stir it
in.

This version isnt meant to be cooked til 'starting to brown' but is a
very fast 4 mins max meal. Ok, I'm guilty. There's a 'Walking with
Dinosaurs' show about to start that I havent seen yet! We both wanna
watch it.

Optional additions: Millions in other recipes, but for this butter
mix think of black olives, butter beans, green beans as perfect.

Serve with: Iced Tea, Apple juice, or if a kid 'milk rulz'!

From the Sasebo kitchen of: xxcarol 11Sep2005

Adaption: None needed except USA tastebuds may not want that much
patis (Tiparos brand). Try 1/2 ts for the fist batch then taste test.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Hawaiian Eggplant
Categories: Hawaii, Vegetables, Sausage, Xxcarol
Yield: 4 Servings

1 Japanese eggplant
Filling:
Hawaiian hard dime sausage
Maui Onion
Bok Choy or mild kimchee

1 'Japanese' eggplant, sliced longways and center scouped out to leave
enough room for the filling. The eggplant was steamed and the peel
left on. Similar effect to a baked potato in that the center was
filled and you ate the flesh unside leaving a hollow shell.

Filling: Hawaiian 'hard dime sausage' (Probably Philipeno? Very
hard when cooked, little oil). About 2 oz was cooked then minced
finely. That was mixed with about the same amount of Maui Onion
(Hawaii sweet). The cavity of the eggplant was layers with a choice
of either steamed Bok Choy or mild kimchee (customer chose which)
then the meat mix was piled ontop. (Another version used sashimi Ahi
in place of the sasuage).

It was served with a choice of 3 of the following (customer choice):
Pickled veggies, rice, Poi (Plain or a fancy one I cant begin to
describe but was *perfect*), mini-veggie-dim-sum, Dashi with noodles
and tofu, fried tofu, Ono-fish cakes.

The servings were perfect sized to make a nice lunch without being a
'heavy' meal.

Best version?

The one with the sashimi Ahi, Fancy Poi, Dashi with noodles
(Alimentary paste type- Udon), pickled veggies. Ono-licious Bra!

The meal would start with the Poi, while the rest was fixed.If you
finished the Poi before the rest was ready, the soup would be served
but normally the rest came all at once (just as you eat the last of
the Poi).

Dessert? Fresh fruit slices. 'Came with' and was seasonal. Mango,
Pinapple, Papaya, or this wierd nut and smashed bannana thing that
looked awful but tasted good! oh, and fresh coconut. From: Carol
Shenkenberger Date: 07 May 00

Adaption: use only garnish levels of a sausage here if using any. 2
slices of
pepperoni will do just fine.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Japan Cholula Rice
Categories: Xxcarol, Fusion
Yield: 8 Servings

1 c Medium grain rice, calrose
2 1/2 c Water
2 ds Cholula hot sauce

Cholula Hot Sauce is a mildish one from Mexico, with a distinctive
round wodden ball shaped top. It's not tobasco but is normally sold
in the same area. It lacks the vinigar base in any notable way that
gives the tang of vinigar to so many hot sauces, but instead has a
deeper richer chile roast flavor. Excellent for cooking, it retains
it's flavor well.

Fusion cookery in Japan, lead to this being a preferred brand at the
local Sasebo commisary.

One excellent use is to flavor rice making water. Just add 2 dashes
to the water and cook as normal in your ricemaker. If you want a
milder product try just one dash then serve extra in the bottle at
the table. You can also add butter to the rice at the table and the
flavors will match well.

From the Fusion Sasebo Japan kitch of: xxcarol 4June2003

Adaption: None needed but check the rice type. Calrose may have more
protein than long grain American types.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Neck-O-Love
Categories: Xxcarol, Soups
Yield: 4 Servings

2 ea Chicken necks, skinned
7 ea Chopped chicken kidneys
1 ea Japanese green bell pepper
1 ea Japanese red bell pepper
1 ea Small onion, sliced fine
2 lg Garlic cloves, sliced small
4 c Water
1 ds Poulty seasoning
1 ds Cumin seasoning

It's a cloudy rainy day here in Sasebo, so what would be more natural
than a pot of soup? The fixings are adaptable and easily obtained
although finding 'chicken necks' may require a local Asian Grocery
for some parts of the world where they arent sold commonly. Of
course, you can save them up from whole dressed chickens where they
usually are in a bag inside!

The Japanese Bell Peppers, red and green, are just a stronger flavored
version than seen in the USA supermarket but you should be able to
substitute those from your area with pretty much the same effect.
Chop all the ingredients except the chicken necks, and add it all to
the pot.

Simmer for about 2 hours and add salt/black pepper to taste. Remove
the necks and either place 1/2 of one in each bowl, or pick the meat
off and return to the pot, discarding any bones.

Serving suggestion: This one does well with a lite green leafy salad
with a little olive oil and a sprinkle of grated Romano cheese. If
you can find Mochi (rice-flour based crackers), serve to the side
with the soup.

From the Sasebo Kitchen of: xxcarol, 14JUNE2003

Adaption: Change this to 4 gizzards, small ones versus the 7 kidneys.
Consider
making it 2 gizzards and cutting them in half .

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Refined Pancit
Categories: Xxcarol, Philippeno
Yield: 6 Servings

1/2 c Chopped cabbage, bok choy
1/2 c Baby carrots
1/2 c Chopped green bell pepper
1/2 c Chopped broccoli bits
4 c Water
1 ea Pack Pancit seasoning
8 oz Dry pancit noodles (wheat)
6 ea Large shrimp, shelled

Oh my! I make pancit all the time. This rendition is one that is
easy to make in the average American/Canadian kitchen. To me, this
is 'outastuff cooking' if you know what I mean. It uses just a bit
of everything.

Chop up all the veggies (feel free to add more!). The cabbage is more
authentic if Bok Choy but it can be Nappa or just normal 'head
cabbage'. b The bell pepper doesnt have to be green. In fact, a
yellow or red would look better. The carrots do not have to be baby,
just chop them up small if not using whole baby carrots.

Cant find Pancit seasoning? Its a mix of garlic salt, black pepper,
a bit of a mild chile powder, and soy sauce. Take about 1/3 cup soy
sauce and add about 1 teaspoon of the other spices each, and you will
be close enough. When I make my own, I add some oyster sauce but
that isnt essential.

The noodles are those hard dry brown thickish looking ones as opposed
to the thin white ones that look like (and are sometimes labeled as)
'angel hair' or 'glass noodles'. These are the more substantial
ones. The recipe will not work right with the glass type as they do
not absorb enough water.

A side note, the noodle pack will tell you to soak them first. Do not
bother with this version.

Put all but the noodles into a pan that is low and wide and flat. A
big cast iron skillet will do. This is a big recipe so cut down the
size to fit the pan if you have only a little 9 inch skillet with a 2
inch high rim.

Set this to boil for about 5 mins, then add the dry noodles and turn
the heat off. About 5 mins later, stir it then add 1-2 TB oil if
desired.

Optional additions: Pancit is like soup. Anything can go in there!

From the Sasebo kitchen of: xxcarol 23NOV2003

Adaption: If wheat is ok (didnt see that listed either way) then this
will be fine
but again, waiting for potassium results you may want to use head cabbage
vs
the bok choy. If you like kale, try 50/50 head cabbage and kale here.
For the
seasoning packet, you will have to skip it and make your own. Adapt that
though
to garlic powder vs salt and use 1/4 cup datu puti soy and enough water to
that to
make up to 1/3 cup. This makes 6 HUGE servings. You are apt to get 12
out of it.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Thanksgiving Stuffing
Categories: Xxcarol, Stuffing, Holiday
Yield: 10 Servings

8 c Shredded bread
1 ea Stick butter
1/2 c Fine chopped white onion
6 oz Chopped clams with juice
1 tb Dried parsley
1/2 tb Dried ground sage
1 ts Dried poultry seasoning mix
1 ts Dried oregano flakes
1 ts Black fresh ground pepper
1/2 ts Garlic powder
1/2 ts Celery seed
4 oz Can mushrooms with juice

Now and again I like to make stuffing even though it's not a mainstay
in our home. Thanksgiving though just mandates it! Since I was out
of my usual bagged pepperidge farm which i dress up just a bit, Don
and I decided to have fun and make it from scratch this time.

We started with making a loaf of bread thats 2 cups wheat and 1 cup
white flour based and added plenty of sage and majorum. This was
meant to be a dense bread for tearing up into stuffing cubes and it
came out just right even though Don accidently turned the breadmaker
off just after the second kneeding (grin!). I turned it out onto a
pan and baked it in the oven for a longish flat loaf which we then
sliced and tore up by hand into smallish cubes, crust and all. To
this I added 4 slices of leftover normal store bought white bread.
Charlotte and I tore up the bread last night and left it spread out
on a pan in a cold oven to dry out a bit.

This morning we melted a stick of butter and added the minced onion,
can of mushrooms, and can of clams (with juice from the cans). This
was heated just enough to melt and left on the lowest heat setting
while we prepared the crumbs. The dry spices were all mixed together
in a small tea cup and then we took a handful of the bread cubes and
layered the spices over it, adding in bits til all was spiced fairly
evenly. Then the butter mix was poured over it all and stirred by
hand.

The 14 lb Turkey took about 6-7 cups of stuffing. As this recipe isnt
really 'exact' in measurements I had almost 2 cups left over which we
were going to freeze but ended up donating to a neighbor who just
moved in and had no stuffing.

Smells divine!

Optional additions/variations: Add 1/4 cup or so of sliced black
olives, use chicken broth for 1/2 the butter to reduce the fat.

From the Sasebo Japan kitchen of: xxcarol 24November2005

Adaption: You can make this without the clams. It's a bit high in butter
but
pretty sure you can use 3 TB butter, 3 TB olive oil, and 2 TB water with
good
effect. I know I've done something close to that when I was low on
butter.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Crockpot Baked Apples
Categories: Crockpot, Fruits, Desserts, Xxcarol
Yield: 4 Servings

Apples, (cored if it matters
To you)
Butter
Brown sugar

Wrap in foil, and bake on low for 8 hours. Add a dabblit of butter
and brown sugar when you serve them (cut in half when serving and use
a spoon to core and use that dip for the butter and brown sugar).

xxcarol From: Carol Shenkenberger Date: 06 Jul 98

Adaption: None needed. You are allowed (and should) have 1 apple a day
from what I read.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Xxcarol's Tangoing Turnips
Categories: Xxcarol, Crockpot, Soups, Diabetic
Yield: 16 Servings

5 c Largish turnips, chopped
2 c Chopped daikon
1/3 c Diced salt 'fat back'
1 ea Bannana chile pepper (mild)
1 1/2 c Bok Choy bits, whites mostly
2 ea 16oz cans diced tomatoes
4 tb Osem chicken consomme
2 ea Cloves garlic, minced
Water to cover plus 1 inch

Yet again I find myself with some 'still live but barely' vegetables
to use up so one more 'leftover madness' recipe is born!

The Turnips are peeled then chopped into big hearty bites. I estimate
5-5.5 cups of turnips in there.

The chile is a mild bannana pepper type and was left whole except for
cutting off the stem end. The daikon is cut roughly to frenchfry
shapes (homestyle big ones). The cans are standard 14.5 oz Contadina
for one and the other was a stray local store brand called 'So Good'
(even lower sodium than contadina and I plan to get more of these at
Dollar Store as they really ARE 'So Good'). Peel and mince the
garlic fairly fine. Rough chop the salt back (pork belly or back) to
1/4 inch thick 1x1 squares and dump them in.

Set the crockpot on high for once for this one as the veggies work
better in this type of dish. Your cooking time is about 8 hours and
can be left on 'warm' mode for 2 days though the daikon will not
remain 'crisp' that long.

Anything else you have leftover, potentially goes in this dish. In
our case at the time of cooking, about 3oz gently knawed pork loin
ended up in there (we arent feeding guests with this one so thats ok
by us). I could see carrots in there easy. Leftover raw frozen
pumpkin or other winter squashes will do well in this but add a
sweetness so consider omiting the garlic if adding them.

Serving suggestions: Fresh crunchy crusty bread will be a winner.
Sliced cheese plate. Sliced pears and/or green crisp tart apples
with a dusting of 5spice or nutmeg and a drizzle of warmed honey (for
non diabetics).

From the VB kitchen of: xxcarol 13DEC2007

Adaption: Almost didnt add this one. If you are after testing, having to
watch your potassium closely, this one aint really adaptable. Rutabegas
are on the high potassium list but didnt see turnips listed either way.

MMMMM

Wow, ok, I'm done for now <g>. Granted I cook pretty 'asian' so this ream
might seem a bit odd, but after reading up on your needs, most of my own
cookery turned out to be pretty easy to adapt over.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ok, Don's awake so I could get to the kitchen without waking him. I checked
the sodium levels of the worstershire sauce. 1 TS is 65MG (0 protein).
Should fit in ok with your diet in reasonable levels.

Can you tell me what level of wheat or wheat-based flour is ok?

If it's ok, made a perfect loaf of bread last night. A new to me type.

Look for 'raisin rum loaf' in separate post. 4g protein per slice it says.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott W" wrote

Hey Scott, hope I didnt overload you there <grin>. I figured of the 25,
maybe 5 at best might peak your fancy and that would be a good ratio so it's
fine if some of them made you go 'ick'. Heck, could be all of'em made you
go 'eek! She didnt really suggest that!'

By now or sometime tomorrow, you might have your results and know what other
limits you have to stick to. I centered on my own catagory only because I
know how the flavor is of all those, so knew intimately where an adaption
would work flavorwise, and where it might not.

I have other 'catagories' in MM I didnt even look at yet, as didnt know what
you might like. If you like cucumbers for example and want me to peruse my
MM database and send over some likely ones, be happy to do so. I probably
have some things you havent tried there. Cukes pretty much seemed to hit
the 'good list' for all your needs unless I misread something. Then again,
if you think the best use of a cuke is a 'virgin training aide' I can look
for something else <g>.

Dietary ethics dh@. Vegan 743 21-05-2013 06:17 PM
Dietary ethics dh@. Vegan 0 03-07-2012 05:42 PM
A Soup With a Difference, Born of Adversity and Error RuskinGadets General Cooking 0 19-09-2008 09:09 PM
novices and attitudes BJ Sourdough 9 21-01-2007 04:43 PM
Thoughts about brining and risk of adversity Kent H. Barbecue 3 24-08-2004 01:16 AM