Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Attitudes toward dietary adversity

On Sun 13 Jan 2008 01:33:00p, Dee.Dee told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >> I don't
> drink milk at all either. I never liked it!!!
>>> But I use it ever-so-much.
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>> Milkl baths, Dee? :-)
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Funny you. Do people still do that, I wonder? Or did they ever?
>
> Dee Dee

They did, but I think filling a huge tub was only done in the 18th century
among royalty.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Want a taste of religion? Bite a minister.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Milkl baths, Dee? :-)

>> Funny you. Do people still do that, I wonder? Or did they ever?
>>
>> Dee Dee
>>

> They did, but I think filling a huge tub was only done in the 18th century
> among royalty.

I think people used to do it to combat skunk exposure too?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:41:19 -0600, "Andy <q>" <q> wrote:

>I'm 6'3'. The tallest of all generations on both sides of the family. I owe
>it to years of bread and butter sandwiches and milk. That's just a guess!
>

>The BMI calculators are all screwed up. At 195 (34" waist) I was considered
>normal but folks thought I was sick or something. 200 pounds still puts me
>in the overweight category but they're wrong! At least for my build. ****es
>me off.

The BMI calculators just aren't made for somebody over six feet tall!
I'm sure you're looking great! (Is it helping with all the numbers?)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Goomba38 > said:

> >> Funny you. Do people still do that, I wonder? Or did they ever?
> >>
> >> Dee Dee
> >>

> > They did, but I think filling a huge tub was only done in the 18th century
> > among royalty.
> >

> I think people used to do it to combat skunk exposure too?

I thought that was tomato juice...

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oysters, was Attitudes toward dietary adversity

Sky wrote:

> For the longest time, I never ate oysters, raw or otherwise, because of
> their rather intimidating appearance. Then I learned raw oysters are
> rather darn good <G>, except I prefer the smaller oysters instead of the
> larger ones. A wee bit of fresh lemon juice is good too, along with
> some optional (homemade) cocktail sauce. Heh, I think I did have a
> glass of two of wine before I gathered up the courage to try the first
> raw oyster, and WOW! I wanted a few more dozen after that initial taste
> I especially like steamed (on the half-shell) fresh oysters when
> dipped in drawn butter. But, I still won't eat fried oysters.

I admit to having had a bit of an aversion to them too, but after trying
them and realizing that swallowing a live critter wasn't so bad, I came to
appreciate that they are something of a tonic. I always feel really good
after eating raw oysters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Funny you. Do people still do that, I wonder? Or did they ever?
>>>
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>> They did, but I think filling a huge tub was only done in the 18th
>> century among royalty.
>>

> I think people used to do it to combat skunk exposure too?

Ketchup works for skunk smell on dogs, I know.
Nothing funnier looking than a big dog covered with ketchup.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
> > I am curious about attitudes in all of this. I see some that say,
> > no I won't eat this and I won't eat that, but I will eat this and I
> > love it.. Some won't eat anything green (you know who you are!!)
> > and some won't eat raw veggies or salads.. Some won't eat turkey
> > in any way shape or form....Some won't eat chocolate that comes
> > anywhere near fruit....

> > And some just have too much trouble with certain foods..mostly
> > allergies. Sometimes phobias too.

> > So, I am interested in attitudes...and how you approach food.

> I would categorize food aversions as follows:
>
> (1) Metabolic -- person has solid reason to believe they have
> an allergy, physical intolerance, or metabolic reason not to
> eat a certain food (or more than a certain amount of it)
>
> (2) Unresolved childhood food aversions -- person never liked
> something when they were a child, and while it may be something
> that most adults eventually come to like, they never got over it.
>
> (3) True phobia -- OCD
>
> (4) "Squicked" -- Food item is a little (or more than a little)
> outside the mainstream, and usually in the animal kingdom. Covers
> things like offal and snails, but for some may extend to oysters
> or crawfish. Sometimes there is a vegetable example, e.g.
> fiddlehead ferns.
>
> (5) Religious, ethical, or cultural aversion.
>
> (6) Command decision -- person has decided to categorically avoid
> possibly unhealthful foods (e.g. milkfat, eggs, cholesterol, alcohol,
> rare pork, unfiltered tap water) where there is some reason to
> believe the food may be bad for them, but in reasonable amounts
> the risk is very low.
>
> (6) Psuedo-Health: person believes that food item may make them
> sick but there is no scientific basis for this belief. Example,
> black pepper causing prostate cancer.
>
> Anything I left out?

Taste-bud differences. Some things taste bitter to some people but not
to others, for example.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Little Malice" > wrote in message

>> > They did, but I think filling a huge tub was only done in the 18th
>> > century
>> > among royalty.
>> >

>> I think people used to do it to combat skunk exposure too?

> I thought that was tomato juice...
>
> --
> Jani in WA

I think you're right. I said ketcup.
But I just asked DH and he laughed and said, no, it was whole tomatoes we
used and we put them in a blender. The dog started licking them off,
thinking it was pretty tasty. He's laughing - so he must be feeling better.
(Flu for over a week.)

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> Christine Dabney wrote:
>

>> As for food phobias... I am reminded of Jeffrey Steingarten's book
>> The Man Who Ate Everything, in which he systematically set out to
>> overcome his own phobias/dislikes of certain foods. And he had a long
>> list of these... I think he rather exhaustively tried certain
>> foods/preparations of the things he disliked...and came around to
>> enjoying most of them.

> While I enjoy his expertise, I have to say he eats like a pig. When he's
> on Iron Chef, he grabs that fork in his fist (gripped like he's holding
> the shopping cart handle) instead of holding it properly (whether that be
> Continental or American style) and it turns me off every time I see it.

Doesn't bother me a bit, I thought it was a 'guy' thing. :-))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> So what is your viewpoint in the face of culinary/dietary adversity?
> Do you just bemoan it and say I can't have this or I can't have that?
> Or do you take up the challenge and say I can't have this and that,
> but I can have this and I will make what I can have and love, into
> something good I love to eat?
>
> Interested in your opinions, attitudes, etc..

My DH is Diabetic and he also has cardiac disease and takes blood
thinners. We have to watch our carbohydrates, saturated fats and vitamin
K intake. I lost the left side of my tongue to cancer and have
diminished saliva production from radiation treatments so I can't eat
nuts or crispy things like corn chips and bread and cake just doesn't go
down. Spicy foods are a no no for me.

Even with those limitations, I find recipes all over the Internet and I
modify them for us. I find cooking within our dietary limits to be a
challenge that I am willing to rise to. I've made a hobby out of it.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I have been reading the posts of several among us that have dietary
> problems... And many seem to be so limited by what they can eat, and
> even what they will eat. That includes the picky eaters among all of
> us...
>
> I am curious about attitudes in all of this. I see some that say, no I
> won't eat this and I won't eat that, but I will eat this and I love
> it.. Some won't eat anything green (you know who you are!!) and some
> won't eat raw veggies or salads.. Some won't eat turkey in any way
> shape or form....Some won't eat chocolate that comes anywhere near
> fruit....

I will eat anything but veal, but I have quirky food dislikes. None
of them so severe that I'll barf or anything, though.

> And some just have too much trouble with certain foods..mostly
> allergies. Sometimes phobias too.
>
> So, I am interested in attitudes...and how you approach food.

I'm pretty adventurous, and will try most anything someone sets in
front of me. I'm glad, too, because some of the best stuff has been
stuff I would never dream of trying on my own (chicken feet come to
mind).

> So what is your viewpoint in the face of culinary/dietary adversity?
> Do you just bemoan it and say I can't have this or I can't have that?
> Or do you take up the challenge and say I can't have this and that,
> but I can have this and I will make what I can have and love, into
> something good I love to eat?

I see an issue of etiquette/politeness in this, too. There are
contexts in which it's okay to say "Eww, that's yucky," but those
contexts don't include the moment after your hostess sets the food
before you. I think it's just fine to say that cinnamon is gross
when we have a thread about food likes/dislikes here, or if you're
having a casual conversation about cinnamon, but I really think the
only time it's okay to make an issue of food things is when you have
a genuine allergy, and even then, I think the burden is on the
person with the allergy to handle the situation with discretion and
politeness.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 14:41:19 -0600, "Andy <q>" <q> wrote:
>
> >I'm 6'3'. The tallest of all generations on both sides of the family. I owe
> >it to years of bread and butter sandwiches and milk. That's just a guess!
> >

> >The BMI calculators are all screwed up. At 195 (34" waist) I was considered
> >normal but folks thought I was sick or something. 200 pounds still puts me
> >in the overweight category but they're wrong! At least for my build. ****es
> >me off.

> The BMI calculators just aren't made for somebody over six feet tall!
> I'm sure you're looking great! (Is it helping with all the numbers?)

Or anybody who is very muscular.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jan 2008 04:48:26p, Dee.Dee told us...

> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> . ..

>>> They did, but I think filling a huge tub was only done in the 18th
>>> century among royalty.
>>>

>> I think people used to do it to combat skunk exposure too?

> Ketchup works for skunk smell on dogs, I know.
> Nothing funnier looking than a big dog covered with ketchup.
> Dee Dee

Hoqw 'bout a small dog covered in ketchup sitting on a large bun?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
To be happy living in this world,
there are sides of the soul one must
entirely paralyze.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jan 12, 3:48*am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> I have been reading the posts of several among us that have dietary
> problems... [snips]
> So what is your viewpoint in the face of culinary/dietary adversity?

What I don't understand -- and therefore it sometimes strikes me as
annoying-- is why a person with an aversion to a food or a dietary
restriction of a food thinks any of the rest of us should care or be
the slightest bit interested. If you really like something and post
about it so others will try it, great. But if you don't like
something why are you posting that fact? Who the hell cares? If
you're allergic to (a) and have found (b) a good substitute, okay
maybe someone similarly allergic could try your idea. But the plain
fact that you're allergic helps no one. If you're on some particular
diet, find a group for that diet and post there. Time after time
someone posts about a particular food and someone replies, oh I can't
eat that, it's prohibited by my diet. Fine, but why are you posting?
Do you think we care what you can't or won't eat? It's just like
announcing whose posts you're not going to read: who cares? -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jan 2008 04:58:08p, Janet Wilder told us...

> Christine Dabney wrote:
>
>> So what is your viewpoint in the face of culinary/dietary adversity?
>> Do you just bemoan it and say I can't have this or I can't have that?
>> Or do you take up the challenge and say I can't have this and that,
>> but I can have this and I will make what I can have and love, into
>> something good I love to eat?
>>
>> Interested in your opinions, attitudes, etc..

> My DH is Diabetic and he also has cardiac disease and takes blood
> thinners. We have to watch our carbohydrates, saturated fats and vitamin
> K intake. I lost the left side of my tongue to cancer and have
> diminished saliva production from radiation treatments so I can't eat
> nuts or crispy things like corn chips and bread and cake just doesn't go
> down. Spicy foods are a no no for me.
>
> Even with those limitations, I find recipes all over the Internet and I
> modify them for us. I find cooking within our dietary limits to be a
> challenge that I am willing to rise to. I've made a hobby out of it.

And apparently you're doing a damned good job! It's so much better to rise
to the challenges than to submit to defeat.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
'Confusion not only reigns, it pours'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
On Jan 12, 3:48 am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> I have been reading the posts of several among us that have dietary
> problems... [snips]
> So what is your viewpoint in the face of culinary/dietary adversity?

What I don't understand -- and therefore it sometimes strikes me as
annoying-- is why a person with an aversion to a food or a dietary
restriction of a food thinks any of the rest of us should care or be
the slightest bit interested. If you really like something and post
about it so others will try it, great. But if you don't like
something why are you posting that fact? Who the hell cares? If
you're allergic to (a) and have found (b) a good substitute, okay
maybe someone similarly allergic could try your idea. But the plain
fact that you're allergic helps no one. If you're on some particular
diet, find a group for that diet and post there. Time after time
someone posts about a particular food and someone replies, oh I can't
eat that, it's prohibited by my diet. Fine, but why are you posting?
Do you think we care what you can't or won't eat? It's just like
announcing whose posts you're not going to read: who cares? -aem

*cackle*

I agree with this post.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Goodman > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> Anything I left out?

>Taste-bud differences. Some things taste bitter to some people but not
>to others, for example.

Good point. Individual taste sensation variability, such as
cilantro tasting like soap.

And maybe aversion to high-Scoville-value food is also a distinct
category?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote:

>(Steve Pope) wrote:

>>Anything I left out?

>Nope.

>But if you were in the situation where you were choosing or had to
>avoid foods, for any of the above situations, how would you approach
>it? I was looking for how people approach such a situation
>personally...

I have no particular plan in this regard.

I mostly just muddle through it. I am lactose intolerant; I
deal with this by a combination of avoiding dairy, sometimes
substituting a lactose-free product (e.g. soymilk), sometimes
taking lactase and sometimes just putting up with the symptoms.

Once I was served sea snails because I was a regular customer
at sushi place and they wanted to do something special for me.
Embarassed though I was at my total lack of fortitude, I did not
choose to eat them out of politeness. Simply couldn't force
myself to do it.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> On Sun 13 Jan 2008 04:48:26p, Dee.Dee told us...
>

>> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> I think people used to do it to combat skunk exposure too?

>> Ketchup works for skunk smell on dogs, I know.
>> Nothing funnier looking than a big dog covered with ketchup.
>> Dee Dee
>>

> Hoqw 'bout a small dog covered in ketchup sitting on a large bun?

It is a weiner dog?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jan 2008 06:15:30p, Julie Bove told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>> On Sun 13 Jan 2008 04:48:26p, Dee.Dee told us...
>>

>>> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> Ketchup works for skunk smell on dogs, I know.
>>> Nothing funnier looking than a big dog covered with ketchup.
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>> Hoqw 'bout a small dog covered in ketchup sitting on a large bun?
>>

> It is a weiner dog?

It must be!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Strange as it may seem, my life is
based on a true story - A. Brilliant

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> On Sun 13 Jan 2008 04:48:26p, Dee.Dee told us...
>

>> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> I think people used to do it to combat skunk exposure too?

>> Ketchup works for skunk smell on dogs, I know.
>> Nothing funnier looking than a big dog covered with ketchup.
>> Dee Dee
>>

> Hoqw 'bout a small dog covered in ketchup sitting on a large bun?
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

LOL! You always make me belly laugh.

We 'stood' her (all 135 lbs.) in the bathtub and kept massaging her until we
felt that it had worked enough to rinse her off.
What a way to spend an evening! She enjoyed it all.
That girl, I still miss her.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Ketchup works for skunk smell on dogs, I know.
>>> Nothing funnier looking than a big dog covered with ketchup.
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>> Hoqw 'bout a small dog covered in ketchup sitting on a large bun?
>>

> It is a weiner dog?

another funny line -- you should both be in vaudeville!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jan 2008 09:04:54p, Dee.Dee told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>> On Sun 13 Jan 2008 04:48:26p, Dee.Dee told us...
>>

>>> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> Ketchup works for skunk smell on dogs, I know.
>>> Nothing funnier looking than a big dog covered with ketchup.
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>> Hoqw 'bout a small dog covered in ketchup sitting on a large bun?
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> LOL! You always make me belly laugh.
>
> We 'stood' her (all 135 lbs.) in the bathtub and kept massaging her
> until we felt that it had worked enough to rinse her off.
> What a way to spend an evening! She enjoyed it all.
> That girl, I still miss her.
> Dee Dee

You never forget those experiences. Nice memories, too, no matter the
circumstances.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jan 2008 09:05:41p, Dee.Dee told us...

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Hoqw 'bout a small dog covered in ketchup sitting on a large bun?
>>>

>> It is a weiner dog?

> another funny line -- you should both be in vaudeville!
> Dee Dee

Alas, vaudeville is no more, but maybe we could get a gig in the Catskills.
Is Grossinger's still open?

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Man steps in with a terminal grin...
blue skies turn to grey...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 13, 11:22*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Scott W" > wrote
>

> > I have gone through a rather large upheaval in the foods I eat. *Three
> > months ago I had a kidney removed due to cancer and the blood work
> > shows that the remaining kidney is struggling to keep up.

> Wow, you poor thing, a friend of mine just went through this--lost a
> kidney due to cancer--and it is a huge thing to live through.
>

> > The result is that I am now on a very low protein diet, this is not
> > being fussy, this is keeping my one remaining kidney for as long as I
> > can.

> > It is lucky that I like to cook and I am having fun making dishes that
> > are low in protein, but have a good mix of amino acids. *This is a bit
> > hard on me since I use to really like to cook dishes like crab stuffed
> > Mahi Mahi, if I ever cook that again I will not be eating it. *But I
> > don't spend much time worrying about what I can't eat but spend my
> > time working on what I can eat.

> > What does bother me are people who try to be helpful but don't have a
> > clue about what they are talking about. *It seems that almost everyone
> > that finds out that I am on a limited protein diet suggest fish, I
> > guess some people don't believe fish is a meat. *Then there are the
> > people who suggest tofu, great sure it is not meat but it is full of
> > protein, which is after all what I am trying to avoid.

> This is so true. So many people know nothing at all about nutrition.
> I've always been interested in it, as I have been in chemistry, which
> is really what nutrition is.
>
> I would be interested in knowing more about the recipes you cook,
> that are low in protein but have the complete amino acids.

I use a lot of rice, which does not have much protein and what it does
have is weak on lysine. I can add some meat and get a good balance,
but I can use so little meat that in most dishes you can hardly taste
it. So I use mushrooms, which are have a fair bit of protein, but
much less then meat, and they have a fairly good balance of amino
acids, the ones that are missing rice is fairly good with. I love to
do curry dishes, with a bit of chili oil to give it some heat.

People with even more advanced kidney problems have to be careful of
mushrooms because of fairly high levels of potassium, potatoes have
the same problem.

The good part, if there is any, in all of this is that I now cook just
about all my meals from fresh ingredient. In a typical week I will go
through 6 large onions, several pounds of mushrooms, about half a
dozen sweet bell peppers and more coconut milk then I should really be
using.

My meat bill/ day on the other hand is on the order of $0.25/day.

My wife has come out somewhat on the short end of the whole deal since
I do most of the cooking.

Scott
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Julie Bove" > said:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
> > On Sun 13 Jan 2008 04:48:26p, Dee.Dee told us...
> >

> >> "Goomba38" > wrote in message
> >> . ..

> >> Ketchup works for skunk smell on dogs, I know.
> >> Nothing funnier looking than a big dog covered with ketchup.
> >> Dee Dee
> >>

> > Hoqw 'bout a small dog covered in ketchup sitting on a large bun?
> >

> It is a weiner dog?

My mother had a Dachsund(sp?) and I told her once that she should make
a bun shaped bed for her... ;-)

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Little Malice" > wrote in message
> One time on Usenet, "Julie Bove" > said:
>>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> 3.184...
>> > On Sun 13 Jan 2008 04:48:26p, Dee.Dee told us...

>> > Hoqw 'bout a small dog covered in ketchup sitting on a large bun?
>> >

>> It is a weiner dog?

> My mother had a Dachsund(sp?) and I told her once that she should make
> a bun shaped bed for her... ;-)

Ha!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> I don't drink milk at all. I never liked it. It goes down my throat
>>> like phlegm. I used to use 2% on cereal but still had problems.
>>> When I switched to whole milk I found it easier on me. But then, I
>>> only use a little. I have oatmeal most mornings, and only use
>>> about an ounce of milk on it.

>> I meant to say, USE instead of DRINK.
>>
>> I don't drink milk at all either. I never liked it!!!
>> But I use it ever-so-much.
>> Dee Dee
>>

> Milkl baths, Dee? :-)

Ahh you see Wayne? You too can have a skin like silk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Jan 12, 3:48 am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
>> I have been reading the posts of several among us that have dietary
>> problems... [snips]
>> So what is your viewpoint in the face of culinary/dietary adversity?

> What I don't understand -- and therefore it sometimes strikes me as
> annoying-- is why a person with an aversion to a food or a dietary
> restriction of a food thinks any of the rest of us should care or be
> the slightest bit interested. If you really like something and post
> about it so others will try it, great. But if you don't like
> something why are you posting that fact? Who the hell cares? If
> you're allergic to (a) and have found (b) a good substitute, okay
> maybe someone similarly allergic could try your idea. But the plain
> fact that you're allergic helps no one. If you're on some particular
> diet, find a group for that diet and post there. Time after time
> someone posts about a particular food and someone replies, oh I can't
> eat that, it's prohibited by my diet. Fine, but why are you posting?
> Do you think we care what you can't or won't eat? It's just like
> announcing whose posts you're not going to read: who cares? -aem

Someone might. Just because you don't, you can't speak for everyone!!

I certainly don't have a problem with it. It could be helpful to someone
with a similar problem.
As you say with not reading posts, either do it or don't! We don't need you
to complain1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote
>> Do you think we care what you can't or won't eat? It's just like
>> announcing whose posts you're not going to read: who cares? -aem

> Someone might. Just because you don't, you can't speak for everyone!!

A good point.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jan 14, 7:20*am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
> aem wrote:
> > On Jan 12, 3:48 am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> >> I have been reading the posts of several among us that have dietary
> >> problems... [snips]
> >> So what is your viewpoint in the face of culinary/dietary adversity?

> > What I don't understand -- and therefore it sometimes strikes me as
> > annoying-- is why a person with an aversion to a food or a dietary
> > restriction of a food thinks any of the rest of us should care or be
> > the slightest bit interested. *If you really like something and post
> > about it so others will try it, great. *But if you don't like
> > something why are you posting that fact? *Who the hell cares? *If
> > you're allergic to (a) and have found (b) a good substitute, okay
> > maybe someone similarly allergic could try your idea. *But the plain
> > fact that you're allergic helps no one. *If you're on some particular
> > diet, find a group for that diet and post there. *Time after time
> > someone posts about a particular food and someone replies, oh I can't
> > eat that, it's prohibited by my diet. *Fine, but why are you posting?
> > Do you think we care what you can't or won't eat? *It's just like
> > announcing whose posts you're not going to read: *who cares? *-aem

> Someone might. Just because you don't, *you can't speak for everyone!!

Where do you get the idea that I am speaking for anyone but myself?

> I certainly don't have a problem with it. *It could be helpful to someone
> with a similar problem.

My annoyance is with those posts that contain no help, that simply
state an individual's aversion. I find them pointless.

> As you say with not reading posts, either do it or don't! *We don't need you
> to complain1-

The OP to whom I responded asked, "what is your viewpoint." I was
answering that question, not initiating a complaint. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Jan 14, 7:20 am, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>> aem wrote:

>>> What I don't understand -- and therefore it sometimes strikes me as
>>> annoying-- is why a person with an aversion to a food or a dietary
>>> restriction of a food thinks any of the rest of us should care or be
>>> the slightest bit interested. If you really like something and post
>>> about it so others will try it, great. But if you don't like
>>> something why are you posting that fact? Who the hell cares? If
>>> you're allergic to (a) and have found (b) a good substitute, okay
>>> maybe someone similarly allergic could try your idea. But the plain
>>> fact that you're allergic helps no one. If you're on some particular
>>> diet, find a group for that diet and post there. Time after time
>>> someone posts about a particular food and someone replies, oh I
>>> can't eat that, it's prohibited by my diet. Fine, but why are you
>>> posting? Do you think we care what you can't or won't eat? It's
>>> just like announcing whose posts you're not going to read: who
>>> cares? -aem

>> Someone might. Just because you don't, you can't speak for everyone!!
>>

> Where do you get the idea that I am speaking for anyone but myself?

AEM
"dietary
>>> restriction of a food thinks any of the rest of us should care "

AEM

The rest of us? You are a multiple personality???

>> I certainly don't have a problem with it. It could be helpful to
>> someone with a similar problem.

> My annoyance is with those posts that contain no help, that simply
> state an individual's aversion. I find them pointless.

Fine but others might.

>> As you say with not reading posts, either do it or don't! We don't
>> need you to complain1-

> The OP to whom I responded asked, "what is your viewpoint." I was
> answering that question, not initiating a complaint. -aem

But you spoke for others too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 14 Jan 2008 07:52:10a, Ophelia told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> I meant to say, USE instead of DRINK.
>>>
>>> I don't drink milk at all either. I never liked it!!!
>>> But I use it ever-so-much.
>>> Dee Dee
>>>

>> Milkl baths, Dee? :-)

> Ahh you see Wayne? You too can have a skin like silk

Yes, perhaps, but there are so many types of silk...antique, dupioni,
shantung, raw, an many others. God only knows what I might get! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 01(I)/14(XIV)/08(MMVIII)
You can't frighten me, I'm a coward,
I'm always scared.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 14 Jan 2008 07:52:10a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sun 13 Jan 2008 12:47:55p, Dee.Dee told us...

>>> Milkl baths, Dee? :-)

>> Ahh you see Wayne? You too can have a skin like silk
>>

> Yes, perhaps, but there are so many types of silk...antique, dupioni,
> shantung, raw, an many others. God only knows what I might get! :-)

You will be as beautiful as always)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> when you're in your 80's. I do think Dad ate a bit more because
>> they were getting something a little different while I was there.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Is there any possibility of arranging for Meals on Wheels for your
> parents? Most of the time the program is administered by a local
> hospital. While it is not fancy, it is healthy with a good variety of
> meals which would give them the "something different" which might
> spark both their appetites.

As I stated in reply to your email, I'll certainly mention the idea. Mom is
rather resistant to "needing help" but with a little time she might accept
the idea. I'll be going back; I just have some logistics to work out in the
meantime (pets are a consideration). And thank you for the suggestion,
Gloria.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote
> Yes, perhaps, but there are so many types of silk...antique, dupioni,
> shantung, raw, an many others. God only knows what I might get! :-)

Besides, you can't make silk out of a pig's ass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13 Jan 2008 23:49:41 GMT, "Dan Goodman" > wrote:

>Taste-bud differences. Some things taste bitter to some people but not
>to others, for example.

True. I'm over-sensitive to bitter, so for instance, even the new
"sweet" grapefruits taste bitter to me. What does taste bitter to you
which doesn't to others?

Nathalie in Switzerland

Dietary ethics dh@. Vegan 743 21-05-2013 06:17 PM
Dietary ethics dh@. Vegan 0 03-07-2012 05:42 PM
A Soup With a Difference, Born of Adversity and Error RuskinGadets General Cooking 0 19-09-2008 09:09 PM
novices and attitudes BJ Sourdough 9 21-01-2007 04:43 PM
Thoughts about brining and risk of adversity Kent H. Barbecue 3 24-08-2004 01:16 AM