Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Attitudes toward dietary adversity

Dan Goodman wrote:

> At one time, I was allergic to lettuce and chocolate. I've never
> really liked lettuce, but that turned out to be the worse problem. So
> many restaurant foods are served with lettuce as decoration, to begin
> with.

My wife is allergic to lettuce too. She discovered that after going on a
diet and eating a lot of it. It was an odd reaction. She got very dark
around the eyes, almost like a black eye.

> Currently, I'm lactose intolerant. I don't willingly drink cold milk,
> but milk as an ingredient can be a problem. However, I can digest
> yogurt and cheese without problems.

I have a lactose intolerance too. I do not drink milk but I can get away
with using whole milk on cereal, and I don't have much problem with my home
made ice cream because I use cream and whole milk.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee.Dee said...

>>> OMG, Andy, 118!?! You are truly an incredibly shrinking man!

>> I was wondering about that, too. 118? I haven't seen that since age
>> 18! I'm 5'7" and weighed in this morning at 141 pounds. Heck, I'm
>> happy with that. :~)
>>
>> kili

> But how tall ARE you, Andy?
> Somehow I recall asking that before and you, Andy, said you were the
> tallest man in a room, or something like that.
>
> Dee Dee

I'm 6'3'. The tallest of all generations on both sides of the family. I owe
it to years of bread and butter sandwiches and milk. That's just a guess!

The BMI calculators are all screwed up. At 195 (34" waist) I was considered
normal but folks thought I was sick or something. 200 pounds still puts me
in the overweight category but they're wrong! At least for my build. ****es
me off.

All that's left to go is my belly. Probably five pounds. The nordic trak
ski machine willl take care of that and I'll be fit. Except for my belly I
always look fit and for some reason I always make people smile!

6'3 isn't so tall these days and I don't look up very often, but when I do
I'm impressed.

I always wondered about average women heights looking up at tall guys, must
hurt your neck. I've never looked up at a woman unless she was on top.

Andy
6'3, 218 lbs.

--
All Posts Blocked From: @yahoo|@gmail|@hotmail|@webtv|@aol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote

> Stay neutral, which I know you're very good at. I no longer read her
> posts.

And yet, all you can do is talk about me. Asshole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 12 Jan 2008 01:38:09p, Ophelia told us...

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Well, I like both Wayne and cybercat! What am I to do/
>>>

>> Stay neutral, which I know you're very good at. I no longer read her
>> posts.

> Okie dokie I do like most people yasee! So it is hard when they fall
> out.

Well, actually, we never fell "in", so there really wasn't a falling ut.
:-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 01(I)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Good day to let down old friends who
need help.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 12 Jan 2008 01:40:17p, Dave Smith told us...

> Dan Goodman wrote:
>>

>> At one time, I was allergic to lettuce and chocolate. I've never
>> really liked lettuce, but that turned out to be the worse problem. So
>> many restaurant foods are served with lettuce as decoration, to begin
>> with.

> My wife is allergic to lettuce too. She discovered that after going on a
> diet and eating a lot of it. It was an odd reaction. She got very dark
> around the eyes, almost like a black eye.
>

>> Currently, I'm lactose intolerant. I don't willingly drink cold milk,
>> but milk as an ingredient can be a problem. However, I can digest
>> yogurt and cheese without problems.

> I have a lactose intolerance too. I do not drink milk but I can get away
> with using whole milk on cereal, and I don't have much problem with my

home
> made ice cream because I use cream and whole milk.

That doesn't sound very lactose intolerant to me, Dave, unless you consume
minuscule amounts of the ice cream are barely wet the cereal with milk. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 01(I)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
'I said 'no' to drugs, but they just
wouldn't listen.'

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> So what is your viewpoint in the face of culinary/dietary adversity?
> Do you just bemoan it and say I can't have this or I can't have that?
> Or do you take up the challenge and say I can't have this and that,
> but I can have this and I will make what I can have and love, into
> something good I love to eat?
>
> Interested in your opinions, attitudes, etc..

I can't eat wheat. I found _other people's_ attitudes towards my
dietary limitation more daunting than my own. Because wheat is such a
staple of the Western diet a lot of people were genuinely mystified as
to how I would go about living without it. Several times I was asked
"well, what CAN you eat?", to which my reply was "Everything else!"

And I _do_ eat everything else. My diet is probably higher in fruit
and vegetables now than it's ever been. I get a lot of good
carbohydrates in the form of rice, potatoes, polenta and the occasional
gluten-free pasta (which has improved in leaps and bounds over the
years). As well as lean meat, poultry and fish.

I'm one of the lucky ones that can eat spelt, which is an old variety of
wheat with a different protein fraction than modern wheats. This means
that I can make bread, cakes etc that taste the same (and have the same
texture) as wheat products. I try not to do so too often though,
because spelt costs 10x the price of wheat. There are baking mixes
available (the commercial ones are mostly crap and I've had the best
luck with one that was put together by a friend whose son is allergic to
wheat, dairy and eggs -- now THERE'S your dietary limitation!). There
have been some experiments, not all of them successful -- I've still yet
to make a fully gluten-free scone that counted as food and not a weapon
-- but they've all been a learning experience. And that's just fine.

Bring it on!

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> >> Currently, I'm lactose intolerant. I don't willingly drink cold milk,
> >> but milk as an ingredient can be a problem. However, I can digest
> >> yogurt and cheese without problems.

> > I have a lactose intolerance too. I do not drink milk but I can get away
> > with using whole milk on cereal, and I don't have much problem with my

> home
> > made ice cream because I use cream and whole milk.
> >

> That doesn't sound very lactose intolerant to me, Dave, unless you consume
> minuscule amounts of the ice cream are barely wet the cereal with milk. :-)

I didn't say that I was *very* lactose intolerant. I said that I have a
lactose intolerance. As I understand it, most of us produce lactase to
help us digest the lactose in milk, but not always enough, and it is when
we consume more milk than we can handle that we suffer the symptoms. Trust
me..... if I eat more than I can handle I suffer.... and so do my wife and
dogs :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. 184...
> On Sat 12 Jan 2008 01:38:09p, Ophelia told us...
>
>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sat 12 Jan 2008 12:25:39p, Ophelia told us...

>>> Stay neutral, which I know you're very good at. I no longer read her
>>> posts.

>> Okie dokie I do like most people yasee! So it is hard when they fall
>> out.
>>

> Well, actually, we never fell "in", so there really wasn't a falling ut.
> :-)

That would be because you're a moron. But I know people tell you that
allll the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> On Sat 12 Jan 2008 01:31:42p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> kilikini wrote:

>>> I was wondering about that, too. 118? I haven't seen that since age
>>> 18! I'm 5'7" and weighed in this morning at 141 pounds. Heck, I'm
>>> happy with that. :~)
>>>
>>> kili

>> My mother gained 2 lbs. when I was there doing all the cooking. She
>> weighed in at a whopping 77 lbs. Dad is probably 79 or 80 lbs. It's so
>> sad.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Yes, that is very sad, Jill. It's heart-wrenching to see our
> parents/family go downhill as they age. My lost a lot of weight as she
> got
> older, and particular in the last year of her life. She was never a large
> person to begin with, but the lst year was terrible.
>
> You have my sympathy in watching these changes take place.

Oh, take your slurpfest to email, jackass. Jill doesn't give a shit about
her parents, unless they can so something for her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 12 Jan 2008 02:37:52p, Dave Smith told us...

>> > I have a lactose intolerance too. I do not drink milk but I can get
>> > away with using whole milk on cereal, and I don't have much problem
>> > with my home made ice cream because I use cream and whole milk.
>> >

>> That doesn't sound very lactose intolerant to me, Dave, unless you
>> consume minuscule amounts of the ice cream are barely wet the cereal
>> with milk. :-)

> I didn't say that I was *very* lactose intolerant. I said that I have a
> lactose intolerance. As I understand it, most of us produce lactase to
> help us digest the lactose in milk, but not always enough, and it is
> when we consume more milk than we can handle that we suffer the
> symptoms. Trust me..... if I eat more than I can handle I suffer.... and
> so do my wife and dogs :-)

Thanks, Dave. I understand now.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 01(I)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Cats must eat all of mom's plants and
then barf them up while Mom is not home.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I'm 6'3'. The tallest of all generations on both sides of the family. I
> owe
> it to years of bread and butter sandwiches and milk. That's just a guess!
>

> I always wondered about average women heights looking up at tall guys,
> must
> hurt your neck. I've never looked up at a woman unless she was on top.
>
> Andy
> 6'3, 218 lbs.

DH is/was 6'-2-1/2" but has lost height. (205#)
When we lived on the west coast I could always locate him in a store; but
when we moved back to Virginia, I found that there were many people quite a
bit taller than him. He always wears a hat so I can locate him; but a lot
of the farmers around here wear hats, too.

Damn right, it hurts my neck just to give or receive a hug. Ouch!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" > wrote in message
> Miche

Can't remember if you live in the U.S. or shop at TJ's. They have a decent
100% Spelt bread. The price is pretty good, too. It is sliced and I put it
in the freezer and bring out a slice for the toaster occasionally.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Giusi" > wrote:

> What I don't deal with is neuoses like food not touching etc. It just can't
> be my problem.

The people I know who are like that are autistic or have other
neurological stuff going on, rather than it being a "neurosis". If I
can accommodate them, I will.

> I make it, arrange it, garnish it and if someone blanches
> because there was a cucumber rose touching his fish, it ain't my problem.
> My possibly future SIL has been told he can't eat at my house (not by me)
> because I do not allow retching at the table because it isn't Taco Bell.

This, OTOH, is just rude.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Andy <q>" <q> wrote:

> I always wondered about average women heights looking up at tall guys, must
> hurt your neck. I've never looked up at a woman unless she was on top.

I'm 4' 11" and my husband is 6' 0".

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee.Dee" > wrote:

> "Miche" > wrote in message
> > Miche

> Can't remember if you live in the U.S. or shop at TJ's.

No, on either account.

> They have a decent
> 100% Spelt bread. The price is pretty good, too. It is sliced and I put it
> in the freezer and bring out a slice for the toaster occasionally.

Oh, that makes me happy. All the spelt bread I've seen for sale here
has been like sawdust cakes. I make my own.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Dee.Dee" > wrote:

> DH is/was 6'-2-1/2" but has lost height. (205#)
> When we lived on the west coast I could always locate him in a store; but
> when we moved back to Virginia, I found that there were many people quite a
> bit taller than him. He always wears a hat so I can locate him; but a lot
> of the farmers around here wear hats, too.
>
> Damn right, it hurts my neck just to give or receive a hug. Ouch!

You could always stand on a chair.

I know how it feels, Dee Dee -- I married a man who's 13" taller than
me.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Miche" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dee.Dee" > wrote:
>
>> DH is/was 6'-2-1/2" but has lost height. (205#)
>> When we lived on the west coast I could always locate him in a store; but
>> when we moved back to Virginia, I found that there were many people quite
>> bit taller than him. He always wears a hat so I can locate him; but a
>> lot
>> of the farmers around here wear hats, too.
>>
>> Damn right, it hurts my neck just to give or receive a hug. Ouch!

> You could always stand on a chair.
>
> I know how it feels, Dee Dee -- I married a man who's 13" taller than
> me.
>
> Miche

We have a stairwell that we use constantly - it's a good place for hugging.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

snip
> So what is your viewpoint in the face of culinary/dietary adversity?
> Do you just bemoan it and say I can't have this or I can't have that?
> Or do you take up the challenge and say I can't have this and that,
> but I can have this and I will make what I can have and love, into
> something good I love to eat?
>
> Interested in your opinions, attitudes, etc..

The SO has an aversion to zucchini; otherwise, he's a fairly adventurous
eater. I don't like strong-flavored fish, but will eat most anything
else. I can usually work around the aversions and allergies of our
friends and family. For example, last night we had a cooperative
dinner. One doesn't do red meat, another is averse to spicy food. So
we chose country captain (chicken curry for those who don't like curry)
as the entree.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> The SO has an aversion to zucchini; otherwise, he's a fairly adventurous
> eater. I don't like strong-flavored fish, but will eat most anything
> else.

That seems to me to be an odd one to have an aversion to, considering that
he is otherwise adventurous. It is not a strong flavoured vegetable,
especially for squash.

I was introduced to zucchini in a good way. My wife used to blanche it and
then fry it in butter or olive oil, browning it on one side, them flipping
it and sprinkling grated Parmesan on top. It is quite good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> That seems to me to be an odd one to have an aversion to, considering that
> he is otherwise adventurous. It is not a strong flavoured vegetable,
> especially for squash.
>
> I was introduced to zucchini in a good way. My wife used to blanche it and
> then fry it in butter or olive oil, browning it on one side, them flipping
> it and sprinkling grated Parmesan on top. It is quite good.

The SO explains: I had a traumatic early childhood experience with
zucchini. My mother only knew one way to cook vegetables: boiling them
until they were mush. This turned zukes into something with the
consistency of mucus. Made me gag.

It's odd, but I don't have the same aversion to okra. Maybe that's
because I didn't try it until I was older, and prepared it for myself.

Aside from zukes, I can eat just about anything. I like raw oysters,
anchovies, sushi, brussel sprouts, liver, tongue, kidneys, chicken
gizzards, frogs. I've tried some pretty bizarre ethnic items:
huitlacoche, barbacoa, etc. Although I'm a bit reluctant to try foods
made from insects. That hesitation might hark back to memories from
growing up in Florida, where the cockroaches are as big as rodents.

--
Julian Vrieslander

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I was introduced to zucchini in a good way. My wife used to blanche it and
> then fry it in butter or olive oil, browning it on one side, them flipping
> it and sprinkling grated Parmesan on top. It is quite good.

Back in the early days before we grew to like eggplant, I used zucchini
as a substitute in many recipes that called for eggplant. It worked well.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Dan Goodman wrote:
> >

> > At one time, I was allergic to lettuce and chocolate. I've never
> > really liked lettuce, but that turned out to be the worse problem.
> > So many restaurant foods are served with lettuce as decoration, to
> > begin with.

> My wife is allergic to lettuce too. She discovered that after going
> on a diet and eating a lot of it. It was an odd reaction. She got
> very dark around the eyes, almost like a black eye.

I'm no longer allergic to lettuce or chocolate. So I could eat
chocolate-covered lettuce if I wanted. [Quick google -- there don't
seem to be any recipes which include both.]

> > Currently, I'm lactose intolerant. I don't willingly drink cold
> > milk, but milk as an ingredient can be a problem. However, I can
> > digest yogurt and cheese without problems.

> I have a lactose intolerance too. I do not drink milk but I can get
> away with using whole milk on cereal, and I don't have much problem
> with my home made ice cream because I use cream and whole milk.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Expire
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
Futures http://dangoodman.livejournal.com
mirror 1: http://dsgood.insanejournal.com
mirror 2: http://dsgood.wordpress.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> > milk, >> but milk as an ingredient can be a problem. However, I
> > can digest >> yogurt and cheese without problems.
> > >
> > > I have a lactose intolerance too. I do not drink milk but I can
> > > get away with using whole milk on cereal, and I don't have much
> > > problem with my

> > home
> > > made ice cream because I use cream and whole milk.
> > >

> > That doesn't sound very lactose intolerant to me, Dave, unless you
> > consume minuscule amounts of the ice cream are barely wet the
> > cereal with milk. :-)

> I didn't say that I was very lactose intolerant. I said that I have a
> lactose intolerance. As I understand it, most of us produce lactase
> to help us digest the lactose in milk, but not always enough, and it
> is when we consume more milk than we can handle that we suffer the
> symptoms. Trust me..... if I eat more than I can handle I suffer....
> and so do my wife and dogs :-)

Lactose intolerance is normal for humans; keeps the supply of breast
milk safe for those who aren't old enough to be weaned.

However, in cultures/societies in which cow milk (or goat, sheep, etc.)
milk is a readily-available food, lactose tolerance past the normal age
is common. It's most common in Northern Europeans and people of
Northern European ancestry -- which is why, when lactose intolerance
was first discovered, it was considered abnormal. Cattle-herding
tribes in Africa have the second highest rate of lactose tolerance.

The other solution to making milk available as a food is to process it
into something in which lactose is considerably reduced. Yogurt, for
example.

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."
Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Expire
Journal http://dsgood.livejournal.com
Futures http://dangoodman.livejournal.com
mirror 1: http://dsgood.insanejournal.com
mirror 2: http://dsgood.wordpress.com
Links http://del.icio.us/dsgood
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 12 Jan 2008 08:29:51p, Dan Goodman told us...

> Dave Smith wrote:

>> > milk, >> but milk as an ingredient can be a problem. However, I can
>> > digest >> yogurt and cheese without problems.

>> > That doesn't sound very lactose intolerant to me, Dave, unless you
>> > consume minuscule amounts of the ice cream are barely wet the cereal
>> > with milk. :-)

>> I didn't say that I was very lactose intolerant. I said that I have a
>> lactose intolerance. As I understand it, most of us produce lactase
>> to help us digest the lactose in milk, but not always enough, and it
>> is when we consume more milk than we can handle that we suffer the
>> symptoms. Trust me..... if I eat more than I can handle I suffer....
>> and so do my wife and dogs :-)

> Lactose intolerance is normal for humans; keeps the supply of breast
> milk safe for those who aren't old enough to be weaned.
>
> However, in cultures/societies in which cow milk (or goat, sheep, etc.)
> milk is a readily-available food, lactose tolerance past the normal age
> is common. It's most common in Northern Europeans and people of
> Northern European ancestry -- which is why, when lactose intolerance
> was first discovered, it was considered abnormal. Cattle-herding
> tribes in Africa have the second highest rate of lactose tolerance.
>
> The other solution to making milk available as a food is to process it
> into something in which lactose is considerably reduced. Yogurt, for
> example.

Very interesting, Dan. Thanks! I didn't know very much about lactose
intolerance.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Saturday, 01(I)/12(XII)/08(MMVIII)
Sense is not cognition but sensation.
(Douglas Robinson)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 12 Jan 2008 01:31:42p, jmcquown told us...
>
>> My mother gained 2 lbs. when I was there doing all the cooking. She
>> weighed in at a whopping 77 lbs. Dad is probably 79 or 80 lbs.
>> It's so sad.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Yes, that is very sad, Jill. It's heart-wrenching to see our
> parents/family go downhill as they age. My lost a lot of weight as
> she got older, and particular in the last year of her life. She was
> never a large person to begin with, but the lst year was terrible.

Mom has never been a portion hog, either. And it's normal to not have as
big an appetite when you're elderly (or so doctor's have told me). She kept
joking I was going to make her fat. I was *thrilled* when she ate 2 crab
cakes instead of just one, or had an extra helping of au gratin potatoes.
And while she will normally have a couple of slices of toast or a bowl of
Cheerios in the morning, I made a point of cooking breakfast for all of us a
few times a week. Bacon, eggs, toast; one morning I made waffles. She
still has an electric waffle iron that predates my birth

It's a bit more difficult to get Dad to eat. He'll say he's not hungry but
I found if you just leave it there on the table next to him (he sat in the
recliner much of the time, staring at the TV or out the window) he'd usually
reach for it and eat it anyway. The part I had a hard time getting across
to Mom is you can't try to spoon-feed him like he's a baby; he asolutely
rebels against being treated that way. I know she's worried sick and wants
him to eat but even suffering from dementia he still has his pride.

According to her, though, (and according to my brother who visited there in
August) he was definitely eating more when I was doing the cooking for them.
(I kept a log of what he ate every day.) This is *not* a comment on my
cooking but rather a statement of fact. Mom has always hated cooking. For
as long as I can remember she'd take the path of least resistance whenever
possible; open a can of this or nuke frozen whatever. Hey, if you don't
like to cook I guess it's understandable, especially when you're in your
80's. I do think Dad ate a bit more because they were getting something a
little different while I was there.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Goodman wrote:

> Lactose intolerance is normal for humans; keeps the supply of breast
> milk safe for those who aren't old enough to be weaned.
>
> However, in cultures/societies in which cow milk (or goat, sheep, etc.)
> milk is a readily-available food, lactose tolerance past the normal age
> is common. It's most common in Northern Europeans and people of
> Northern European ancestry -- which is why, when lactose intolerance
> was first discovered, it was considered abnormal. Cattle-herding
> tribes in Africa have the second highest rate of lactose tolerance.

Lactose intolerance rates are even higher among Chines, Thais and American
Indians.

> The other solution to making milk available as a food is to process it
> into something in which lactose is considerably reduced. Yogurt, for
> example.

Apparently the bacteria that makes yoghurt feeds, in part, on the lactose,
and if you get the stuff with live bacteria it will stick around in your
intestines and digest the lactose for you. Keffir is also a good thing to
et up the lactose and to create a flora in your intestines to deal with it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I eat just about everything, and I like most things. The only thing I
really can't swallow is cooked Belgian endive. There are other things
I don't like much (grapefruits, amarettis, Brussels sprouts, Bircher
Muesli) but if I'm invited I'll eat them out of politeness.
Mostly, I love food, good food. I was 11 days in the hospital almost 3
years ago and I lost weight because the food was so vile, I only had
to see it to lose my appetite. Vegetables cooked to death, meat in
mystery brown sauces, watery soups, canned fruit....
But I'll eat, and with delight, what many people can't stomach: Raw
oysters, kidney, liver, andouillette, tripe, octopus, et al.

Nathalie in Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Dan Goodman wrote:
>>

>> Lactose intolerance is normal for humans; keeps the supply of breast
>> milk safe for those who aren't old enough to be weaned.
>>
>> However, in cultures/societies in which cow milk (or goat, sheep, etc.)
>> milk is a readily-available food, lactose tolerance past the normal age
>> is common. It's most common in Northern Europeans and people of
>> Northern European ancestry -- which is why, when lactose intolerance
>> was first discovered, it was considered abnormal. Cattle-herding
>> tribes in Africa have the second highest rate of lactose tolerance.

> Lactose intolerance rates are even higher among Chines, Thais and American
> Indians.
>>
>> The other solution to making milk available as a food is to process it
>> into something in which lactose is considerably reduced. Yogurt, for
>> example.

> Apparently the bacteria that makes yoghurt feeds, in part, on the lactose,
> and if you get the stuff with live bacteria it will stick around in your
> intestines and digest the lactose for you. Keffir is also a good thing to
> et up the lactose and to create a flora in your intestines to deal with
> it.

I find that my lactose intolerance is descreased almost 100% when I don't
drink homogenized milk.
And, of course, I don't have it when I eat yogurt.

My 'physical' signs of intolerance are hives, sores, and really
uncomfortable bloating; probably other things I've overlooked at the moment.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee.Dee" wrote:

> " rate of lactose tolerance.
> >
> > Lactose intolerance rates are even higher among Chines, Thais and American
> > Indians.
> >>
> >> The other solution to making milk available as a food is to process it
> >> into something in which lactose is considerably reduced. Yogurt, for
> >> example.

> > Apparently the bacteria that makes yoghurt feeds, in part, on the lactose,
> > and if you get the stuff with live bacteria it will stick around in your
> > intestines and digest the lactose for you. Keffir is also a good thing to
> > et up the lactose and to create a flora in your intestines to deal with
> > it.

> I find that my lactose intolerance is descreased almost 100% when I don't
> drink homogenized milk.

I don't drink milk at all. I never liked it. It goes down my throat like
phlegm. I used to use 2% on cereal but still had problems. When I switched
to whole milk I found it easier on me. But then, I only use a little. I
have oatmeal most mornings, and only use about an ounce of milk on it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>> I find that my lactose intolerance is descreased almost 100% when I don't
>> drink homogenized milk.

Dee Dee

> I don't drink milk at all. I never liked it. It goes down my throat like
> phlegm. I used to use 2% on cereal but still had problems. When I
> switched
> to whole milk I found it easier on me. But then, I only use a little. I
> have oatmeal most mornings, and only use about an ounce of milk on it.

I meant to say, USE instead of DRINK.

I don't drink milk at all either. I never liked it!!!
But I use it ever-so-much.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 13 Jan 2008 12:47:55p, Dee.Dee told us...

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I find that my lactose intolerance is descreased almost 100% when I

don't
>>> drink homogenized milk. Dee Dee

>> I don't drink milk at all. I never liked it. It goes down my throat like
>> phlegm. I used to use 2% on cereal but still had problems. When I
>> switched to whole milk I found it easier on me. But then, I only use a
>> little. I have oatmeal most mornings, and only use about an ounce of
>> milk on it.

> I meant to say, USE instead of DRINK.
>
> I don't drink milk at all either. I never liked it!!!
> But I use it ever-so-much.
> Dee Dee

Milkl baths, Dee? :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 01(I)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Whatever their other contributions to
society lawyers could be an important
source of nutrition.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 12, 1:48 am, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I have been reading the posts of several among us that have dietary
> problems... And many seem to be so limited by what they can eat, and
> even what they will eat. That includes the picky eaters among all of
> us...
>
> I am curious about attitudes in all of this. I see some that say, no I
> won't eat this and I won't eat that, but I will eat this and I love
> it.. Some won't eat anything green (you know who you are!!) and some
> won't eat raw veggies or salads.. Some won't eat turkey in any way
> shape or form....Some won't eat chocolate that comes anywhere near
> fruit....
>
> And some just have too much trouble with certain foods..mostly
> allergies. Sometimes phobias too.
>
> So, I am interested in attitudes...and how you approach food.
>
> I see some with the above limitations, whether they are physical or
> whatever, say..I can't eat this..and constantly bemoan that they can't
> or won't eat such and such...I see them as not trying to find choices
> that they can love..Everything makes them sick or things just repulse
> them... And they never let others forget it. And I see it as they let
> fear rule their food choices, so that they never try anything new...
> They won't eat this...they won't eat that..even if it tastes great and
> it is something that they can eat.
>
> And I see others...whom I admire greatly, who say...No, I can't eat
> such and such, or I won't eat this..but this is what I love and I
> can/will eat...and I will enjoy eating it..and I will enjoy the
> challenge of adapting.. and I will have a great time with it. I will
> forget what I can't have, and love what I can have. And I will make
> the best of it.
>
> I must admit I am predjudiced... I am not a picky eater, nor do I have
> food intolerances..and I am pretty willing to try almost everything.
> Even raw oysters if someone gives me enough wine before hand...a LOT
> of wine!!...
>
> I do have a weight problem, and I find I do best if I limit the carb
> intake. But even within those guidelines, and within my budgetary
> guidelines, I can usually find a lot of things to love. I take it as
> a challenge to find things to fit what I love and can eat....
>
> So what is your viewpoint in the face of culinary/dietary adversity?
> Do you just bemoan it and say I can't have this or I can't have that?
> Or do you take up the challenge and say I can't have this and that,
> but I can have this and I will make what I can have and love, into
> something good I love to eat?
>
> Interested in your opinions, attitudes, etc..

I have gone through a rather large upheaval in the foods I eat. Three
months ago I had a kidney removed due to cancer and the blood work
shows that the remaining kidney is struggling to keep up.

The result is that I am now on a very low protein diet, this is not
being fussy, this is keeping my one remaining kidney for as long as I
can.

It is lucky that I like to cook and I am having fun making dishes that
are low in protein, but have a good mix of amino acids. This is a bit
hard on me since I use to really like to cook dishes like crab stuffed
Mahi Mahi, if I ever cook that again I will not be eating it. But I
don't spend much time worrying about what I can't eat but spend my
time working on what I can eat.

What does bother me are people who try to be helpful but don't have a
clue about what they are talking about. It seems that almost everyone
that finds out that I am on a limited protein diet suggest fish, I
guess some people don't believe fish is a meat. Then there are the
people who suggest tofu, great sure it is not meat but it is full of
protein, which is after all what I am trying to avoid.

Scott
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >> I don't
drink milk at all either. I never liked it!!!
>> But I use it ever-so-much.
>> Dee Dee
>>

> Milkl baths, Dee? :-)
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Funny you. Do people still do that, I wonder? Or did they ever?

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Scott W" > wrote

> I have gone through a rather large upheaval in the foods I eat. Three
> months ago I had a kidney removed due to cancer and the blood work
> shows that the remaining kidney is struggling to keep up.

Wow, you poor thing, a friend of mine just went through this--lost a
kidney due to cancer--and it is a huge thing to live through.

> The result is that I am now on a very low protein diet, this is not
> being fussy, this is keeping my one remaining kidney for as long as I
> can.
>
> It is lucky that I like to cook and I am having fun making dishes that
> are low in protein, but have a good mix of amino acids. This is a bit
> hard on me since I use to really like to cook dishes like crab stuffed
> Mahi Mahi, if I ever cook that again I will not be eating it. But I
> don't spend much time worrying about what I can't eat but spend my
> time working on what I can eat.
>
> What does bother me are people who try to be helpful but don't have a
> clue about what they are talking about. It seems that almost everyone
> that finds out that I am on a limited protein diet suggest fish, I
> guess some people don't believe fish is a meat. Then there are the
> people who suggest tofu, great sure it is not meat but it is full of
> protein, which is after all what I am trying to avoid.

This is so true. So many people know nothing at all about nutrition.
I've always been interested in it, as I have been in chemistry, which
is really what nutrition is.

I would be interested in knowing more about the recipes you cook,
that are low in protein but have the complete amino acids.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
>> Mom has always hated cooking. For

> as long as I can remember she'd take the path of least resistance whenever
> possible; open a can of this or nuke frozen whatever. Hey, if you don't
> like to cook I guess it's understandable, especially when you're in your
> 80's. I do think Dad ate a bit more because they were getting something a
> little different while I was there.
>
> Jill

Jill:

Is there any possibility of arranging for Meals on Wheels for your
parents? Most of the time the program is administered by a local
hospital. While it is not fancy, it is healthy with a good variety of
meals which would give them the "something different" which might spark
both their appetites.

It also means that the delivery person would stop by 5x a week to make
sure they are okay. I found that it was hard to leave some of the
recipients. They wanted someone to talk to.

It's tough to get old. :-(

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote:

>I am curious about attitudes in all of this. I see some that say, no I
>won't eat this and I won't eat that, but I will eat this and I love
>it.. Some won't eat anything green (you know who you are!!) and some
>won't eat raw veggies or salads.. Some won't eat turkey in any way
>shape or form....Some won't eat chocolate that comes anywhere near
>fruit....

>And some just have too much trouble with certain foods..mostly
>allergies. Sometimes phobias too.

>So, I am interested in attitudes...and how you approach food.

I would categorize food aversions as follows:

(1) Metabolic -- person has solid reason to believe they have
an allergy, physical intolerance, or metabolic reason not to
eat a certain food (or more than a certain amount of it)

(2) Unresolved childhood food aversions -- person never liked
something when they were a child, and while it may be something
that most adults eventually come to like, they never got over it.

(3) True phobia -- OCD

(4) "Squicked" -- Food item is a little (or more than a little)
outside the mainstream, and usually in the animal kingdom. Covers
things like offal and snails, but for some may extend to oysters
or crawfish. Sometimes there is a vegetable example, e.g.
fiddlehead ferns.

(5) Religious, ethical, or cultural aversion.

(6) Command decision -- person has decided to categorically avoid
possibly unhealthful foods (e.g. milkfat, eggs, cholesterol, alcohol,
rare pork, unfiltered tap water) where there is *some* reason to
believe the food may be bad for them, but in reasonable amounts
the risk is very low.

(6) Psuedo-Health: person believes that food item may make them
sick but there is *no* scientific basis for this belief. Example,
black pepper causing prostate cancer.

Anything I left out?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 22:10:42 +0000 (UTC),
(Steve Pope) wrote:

>Anything I left out?
>
>Steve

Nope.

But if you were in the situation where you were choosing or had to
avoid foods, for any of the above situations, how would you approach
it? I was looking for how people approach such a situation
personally...

For me, I would see it as a challenge... Fortunately, I have a large
library of cookbooks, so I think I could always find something tasty
to cook within my limitations. I don't have food phobias that I know
of, so anything that I would have to avoid would be a medical issue..
I am thinking also, that it might encourage me to look outside the box
so to speak..to experiment with other ways of eating/cooking.

Right now, I don't have medical issues that limit my choices, but I am
rather overweight, and I am usually trying to tackle that. That does
put some limitations on how and what I eat ...but they are self
imposed limitations.

My heart goes out to those with food
intolerances/allergies..especially if they adventurous eaters and love
to cook and eat well. Especially if they have a high level of things
that they can't eat because of this. It really must be a daunting
task to find stuff that they will eat. I do know that if I were to
develop an intolerance to one of my favorite foods, it would be
painful, but I also know I would do my best to work around this, and
make the best of the foods I can have.

As for food phobias... I am reminded of Jeffrey Steingarten's book
The Man Who Ate Everything, in which he systematically set out to
overcome his own phobias/dislikes of certain foods. And he had a long
list of these... I think he rather exhaustively tried certain
foods/preparations of the things he disliked...and came around to
enjoying most of them.

I am going to do this with raw oysters some day...but as I said
before, give me plenty of wine before I do....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...

> don't
>>>

>>> I don't drink milk at all. I never liked it. It goes down my throat like
>>> phlegm. I used to use 2% on cereal but still had problems. When I
>>> switched to whole milk I found it easier on me. But then, I only use a
>>> little. I have oatmeal most mornings, and only use about an ounce of
>>> milk on it.

>> I meant to say, USE instead of DRINK.
>>
>> I don't drink milk at all either. I never liked it!!!
>> But I use it ever-so-much.
>> Dee Dee
>>

> Milkl baths, Dee? :-)

Now there's a lovely image for us.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> As for food phobias... I am reminded of Jeffrey Steingarten's book
> The Man Who Ate Everything, in which he systematically set out to
> overcome his own phobias/dislikes of certain foods. And he had a long
> list of these... I think he rather exhaustively tried certain
> foods/preparations of the things he disliked...and came around to
> enjoying most of them.

While I enjoy his expertise, I have to say he eats like a pig. When he's
on Iron Chef, he grabs that fork in his fist (gripped like he's holding
the shopping cart handle) instead of holding it properly (whether that
be Continental or American style) and it turns me off every time I see it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Oysters, was Attitudes toward dietary adversity

Christine Dabney wrote:

(snip)

> I am going to do this with raw oysters some day...but as I said
> before, give me plenty of wine before I do....
>
> Christine

For the longest time, I never ate oysters, raw or otherwise, because of
their rather intimidating appearance. Then I learned raw oysters are
rather darn good <G>, except I prefer the smaller oysters instead of the
larger ones. A wee bit of fresh lemon juice is good too, along with
some optional (homemade) cocktail sauce. Heh, I think I did have a
glass of two of wine before I gathered up the courage to try the first
raw oyster, and WOW! I wanted a few more dozen after that initial taste
I especially like steamed (on the half-shell) fresh oysters when
dipped in drawn butter. But, I still won't eat fried oysters.

Sky, a former navy brat stuck in podunk midwest USA

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Dietary ethics dh@. Vegan 743 21-05-2013 06:17 PM
Dietary ethics dh@. Vegan 0 03-07-2012 05:42 PM
A Soup With a Difference, Born of Adversity and Error RuskinGadets General Cooking 0 19-09-2008 09:09 PM
novices and attitudes BJ Sourdough 9 21-01-2007 03:43 PM
Thoughts about brining and risk of adversity Kent H. Barbecue 3 24-08-2004 01:16 AM